• Published 8th Oct 2014
  • 530 Views, 8 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 8 -- Dark Melvain - shysage



The 'Phantom Alicorn' helped Princess Twilight and Equestria face a number of 'bad guys' to varying degrees. But a bully from the past would exact a far greater price...

  • ...
23
 8
 530

PreviousChapters Next
Ch.5, Traitor from Within

Cel sighed as if troubled deeply, walked back over to her rug, then sat down, by herself, and stared across her room, off into the distance. We quickly sat right next to her, again on either side. Then she began to explain the other reason we were here.

"The problem is a Unicorn stallion named Dark Melvain...

"Melvain was actually one of our magic teachers soon after Lu and I were made Princesses; this happened right after you both left after bringing us to the King.

"But Melvain quickly realized that both Lu and I had far more natural magic ability than he did. We were the 'appointed ones' for good reason...

"He started challenging us both to contests. We would direct our magic at each other, and the beams would collide... The movement of the impact point in the middle would indicate whose magic was stronger. We would only learn later that this is very dangerous.

"He claimed early on that it was just to 'help us', to strengthen our magic. We didn't know any better.

"After a while, it became very clear that he was constantly working to improve his own magic, and he was just as constantly assessing the growth of his magical ability against ours. And just one 'unguarded slip' could be deadly.

"He soon reached the limits of his magic ability, even as ours continued to grow substantially.

"We had a few more 'contests', but they were quickly over. We kept the collision point in the center, since this was the least dangerous, and he couldn't move it.

"Lu and I NEVER bragged about our powers. We both knew we were given our magic for the good of Equestria, and neither of us worried too much about how strong we were.

"But Melvain refused to accept the limits of his own natural magic ability. One day, he disappeared. Lu and I were glad, and we both quietly hoped he would never return.

"A year later, he did reappear, and challenged us again. He was far stronger, and Lu and I both realized he had connected with some sort of dark force far beyond his own abilities.

"His inner turmoil at having to concede to us was certainly evident. But when he returned, he was literally seething hatred. All of the other Unicorns sensed this. His allegiance to whatever force was helping him, made his whole life, well, dark...

"But his magical ability again began to grow, so the 'contests' resumed.

"Lu and I had to spend a lot of time practicing our magic, just to be able to keep up with him. Constantly fighting this betrayer from within our gates... This made it very difficult for us to love and manage a growing kingdom..."

Cel stopped here, and sighed again. It was quiet for a minute, maybe. Then she continued.

"Lu and I used the Portal once, and didn't stay long, as mom directed. And so, I am now 350 years old, and still alive and able to rule.

"The Unicorns that watch over the Portal have an almost sacred committment to never use the Portal themselves. They carefully pass their knowledge down to worthy Unicorns, who will likewise keep that committment.

"Dark Melvain had no such committment, and used the Portal himself..."

"It is closely guarded now, but it's too late...

Cell started crying.

"He has constantly worked at sapping our ability to rule...

"As long as Lu and I have been Princesses...

"And for almost 350 years now, Lu and I could expect at least one such terrifying 'contest' every year...

"And for each of those 'contests', Lu and I have just been barely able to keep ahead of him.

"He would terrorize Lu and I for a few hours, then disappear..."

Cel paused here a minute, and tried to calm down.

"We tried ignoring him once. He responded by beheading my ponies, one at a time. Well, he used his magic to vaporize their heads. It didn't matter how... We had to engage him or innocent citizens... our ponies... would die..."

Cel started crying hard at this point, but tried to continue.

"I really think that he sent a spy into our midst to incite my own sister against me. Her anger at me surfaced so very quickly, over two days maybe...

"But it has almost been a year since Dark Melvain challenged us...

"And now Lu is gone..."

Cel couldn't continue, and just cried as we hugged her.

This 'Dark Melvain' already disgusted me.

"Cel, the Phantom Alicorn will help you" I said as defiantly as I could, and still talk quietly.

Still crying, Cel tried to talk more.

"I know mom, and that's why I called you both. I really have nopony left.

"If I knew him killing me would be the end of it, maybe I could live with that. But he won't stop killing ponies should he succeed in killing me...

"I am the only one left to stand between Dark Melvain and my ponies... between Dark Melvain and Equestria... And I know I can't face him alone..."

Cel just cried a while, as we hugged her tightly.

...

Cel was carrying the sometimes dreadful weight of a Princess.

It is pitifully easy for a leader to stand on top of everypony else, and glut himself...

But a good leader stands out in front of everypony else, and always takes 'first heat' for them. Our amazing girl, Princess Celestia, was doing just that.

...

Cel really needed, Equestria really needed the Shila, and I would do everything I could to help our girl, to help Equestria.

I looked at my Stallion, and he nodded.

"Cel, we will stay here as long as we need to, for this dumb contest" I said quietly.

A few minutes later, Cel's crying slowed.

"I know mom. I knew I could count on you both, even when everypony else stands at a distance. I love you both so much..."

Cel cried again for a little while, but this was again a different crying. This was love, and we were quickly crying the same way.

We had mentioned the devotion felt in our home. It didn't disappear when things got hard. This was a family matter, especially if this wicked bully had incited our girls against each other. We all knew we were in this together. We would stand together, or fall together.

The survival of Equestria was at stake.


We were all now on the 'same page', and this appeared to lift another huge weight from the shoulders of our girl, who was also Princess of Equestria.

Judging by Princess Celestia in 'Equestria Present', our girl was pretty much back to normal.

We stayed ponies, and accompanied her everywhere she went that day.

I was concerned about my Cutie Mark, but Cel mentioned that nopony would know what it was. 350 years is a long time.

We just relaxed and tried to enjoy the day together.

One of the first things she did was find a mare named Mildred, who we decided was one of Cel's assistants. Cel said simply to her "Mildred, please watch over the child for me for the next few days."

Mildred bowed and said "Yes Princess" and headed off.

Princess Celestia (Cel) spent the morning doing 'Princess Stuff' in the Audience Hall. Cel insisted we both sit together behind her as she took care of Equestria.

We enjoyed a nice quiet lunch together.

Cel met with her military command for an hour after lunch, and we were not to be present for that, but it didn't matter. They all headed into the Portal building for the meeting, and we were left outside in the meadow, surrounded by maybe twelve armed guards.

For some reason, the guards were facing us. I guess we weren't allowed to move. They weren't close, or menacing, but still. They certainly couldn't protect us that way, but it didn't matter. Anyway, if anything happened, I would probably need to protect them.

My Stallion and I just smiled, sat down, and enjoyed the sun.

Cel rescued us soon, then we went on a nice walk.

Cel explained that she and Lu had decided years ago to name their capitol city 'Canterlot', and then she asked us both how we liked that name.

We both smiled, and said it was fine.

She showed us around 'Canterlot' for a while. It was nice... and a bit surreal too.

At dusk, Cel sighed, then smiled, and said there would be no 'contest' tonight.

This just meant a nice, relaxed evening with our girl. We all stayed ponies, and enjoyed being together.

Cel again slept between my Stallion and I. What a privilege. We both love our girl.

He and I cried ourselves to sleep again.

PreviousChapters Next