• Published 18th Oct 2014
  • 1,834 Views, 14 Comments

The Things I Do For Love - Harmony Charmer



Part of the EG series. When Halloween rolls around and Pinkie gets into the holiday spirit, Sombra ends up having to get involved. That includes dressing up.

  • ...
5
 14
 1,834

At Least The Costume Fits

"No," Sombra said firmly.

"Come on, Sombra!" Pinkie pleaded, "Please?"

"No." Sombra crossed his arms over his chest in a resolute manner. "I'm not doing it."

"Come on!" Pinkie pouted her lips. "You said you'd help me with the haunted house! You Pinkie Promised me!"

Sombra, who was beginning to regret that promise, sighed. "I said I would help with the haunted house. I never said I would dress up for it."

It wasn't a secret that when it came to Pinkie he'd do pretty much anything for her, despite his misgivings on the matter. Wearing a frilly pink apron when his was "accidentally" lost in the wash, even to public events? He had gotten used to the giggles. Letting Pinkie put ribbons in his hair in an attempt to figure out how to use them? He did it, even after he went to work wearing one of them in his hair all morning. Letting Pinkie make him special desserts for lunch everyday, despite his protests on being able to pack them himself? At least he got cupcakes out of it.

But, this time, he had drawn a line.

"Sombra, you know you can't work at the haunted house if you aren't dressed up!" Pinkie reminded him, "We won't be able to work together!"

"Then work backstage with me, then." Sombra arched a brow. "Don't you think we're both a bit too old for dressing up?"

Pinkie gasped. "Too old for Halloween?!" She narrowed her eyes at him. "Never."

Sombra sighed. "Pinkie, it's just a haunted house. Why do you want me to dress up so badly?"

Pinkie put her hands on her hips. "Because I got matching costumes, Sombry! I thought we'd look cute!"

Sombra's eyes widened. "Please say you didn't get those sparkly matching outfits from the costume store's window..."

Pinkie shook her head. "Nah, I thought about it, but I saw something better! This way we both look nice!"

Sombra sighed. "Pinks..."

"And, if you dress up, you get to enter a costume contest!" Pinkie added, not hearing his protest, "The prize is a huge bucket of candy!"

"Pinkie, we already have candy," Sombra told her.

Pinkie paused. "Oh, yeah... About that..."

Sombra sighed. "You ate it all again, didn't you?"

"Yes," Pinkie answered, not even ashamed, "and I'm not even going to argue with you about it, because you know I need to have sugar in some shape or form every hour because I might seriously crash from stopping my sugar high so abruptly."

"Which is something we've discussed and need to talk about again," Sombra reminded her, not exactly positive about the fact that Pinkie lived off unhealthy food.

Pinkie ignored him. "Come on, Sombra! It'd be so, so, so, so, so, so, so--"

"Let's just get past the 20 'so's it takes you to get your point across, please," Sombra said gently.

Pinkie frowned, but she took heed. "So, so, so fun!" She bounced for emphasis. "Sombra, please? Do it for me?"

Sombra winced at that. "Don't do that. Don't ask me to do it for you. You know I can't say no when you do that."

Pinkie started twirling a curl in her finger. "Please, Sombry?"

Sombra frowned at her as he sighed. "The finger-twirl is pushing it."

"What are you talking about?" Pinkie asked, her eyelashes fluttering in a clueless manner.

Sombra rolled his eyes at her oblivion, deciding not to comment on it. "Listen, Pinks, why are you so intent on me wearing a costume?"

"Because costumes are fun!" Pinkie whined, sounding like a child, "Besides, I don't want to be the only one wearing a costume! We'll look weird!"

"Since when have you ever cared about looking weird?" Sombra questioned, his brow arched in confusion.

Pinkie groaned and smacked a hand to her forehead. "That's different! I only do weird stuff because it's fun, and since not dressing up is weird in this instance, then that means that it would be fun to dress up!"

"...Is this something I need to talk to Cheese about?" Sombra asked, realizing that he hadn't a clue as to what Pinkie meant.

Pinkie smacked her forehead again. "I'm saying that dressing up is fun and that I like doing fun things! Yeesh, is that so hard to understand?"

"Only when you phrase it the way you do sometimes," Sombra commented, though he knew that Pinkie didn't notice it, "It's just... Do I really have to dress up?"

"It's essential to the holiday!" Pinkie screeched, her fists clenched at her sides as her pink complexion turned a scarlet red.

Sombra flinched at her outburst, but then sighed heavily. "Where is the costume at?"

Pinkie perked up immediately. "Upstairs in the closet!"

As he drudged his feet up the stairs, Sombra sighed to himself. "Sometimes you make it hard to say no to you..."

* * *

"Sombraaaaaa, what's taking you so long?" Pinkie called from downstairs, "I'm all ready to go!"

She heard Sombra grunt from upstairs. "This stupid chest plate won't fit!"

Pinkie crossed her arms. "Did you re-adjust the strap?"

Sombra was silent for a moment, then she heard him sigh. "No, apparently not."

Pinkie rolled her eyes with a giggle. "Sombra, you aren't stalling are you?" She heard a clang come from their bedroom. "Sombra, I can hear your shoes!"

Sombra sighed from upstairs. "Yes, I figured as much... I still don't understand why you chose this costume for me to wear."

"'Cause I thought it looked nice!" Pinkie protested, "And it matches my costume!" She paused. "Well, sorta, but people will get it!"

She heard a series of clangs come from the stairway. "Pinks, I still think this is a bit much, don't you?"

Pinkie gasped in delight when she saw him enter the room. "It looks better than I thought!"

Sombra sighed and put his gauntlet covered hand onto his face. "That does little to ease me..." He huffed irritably as his red cape slipped off his shoulder. "And this stupid cape won't stay on!"

Pinkie giggled. "Here, let me help you!"

Sombra tried not to sigh in irritation as Pinkie re-adjusted his cape on his shoulder plates. "Pinkie, I really think that this is going a bit too far with the whole dressing up thing..."

Pinkie giggled. "No way! You look super duper nice as a King!"

Sombra sighed, but then smiled at her. "Not as nice as you do in your Queen attire... Where did you get that, even?"

Pinkie tugged at her frilly pink skirt in a childish manner. "Rarity made it for me!" She scratched her back. "But it's super itchy!"

Sombra chuckled. "I suppose that's the price to pay for accuracy, no? That is quite a bit of lace, however..."

Pinkie shrugged. "Yeah, but Rarity said it would look better with it! And I'm not gonna argue with her about that sort of thing!" She leaned into him. "You still upset about dressing up?"

Sombra shrugged. "Perhaps a bit, but it'll pass." He took her hand and then knelt on one knee. "My Queen, are you ready to depart?"

Pinkie giggled. "Yes, sirree!"

Sombra stood up again and he held her close. "I love you."

She giggled. "Love you, too!" She pulled away and tugged on his arm. "Come on, let's hurry up! We'll be late for registry!"

Author's Note:

Short and sweet little SombraPie EG Halloween Oneshot~ Whoa, that's a lot of words! Anywhoodles, though I like the story as is, I may or may not add a little epilogue, but only if y'all want me to. Anyway, allow me to give credit where due!

This idea was inspired by scoots2, and since she's brilliant and hilarious, you should totally check her out. The original idea was story where Sombra and Pinkie go to a con and cosplay. Sombra would be Ahuizotl and Pinkie would be her ponysona, while Dash tags along in her Daring cosplay. Granted, I changed it to fit the holiday season, because I have more experience in partaking in Halloween than I do in cons because I NEVER GET TO GO TO ANY CONS AND NIGHTMARE NIGHT CON IS NEAR MY AREA THIS YEAR AND I'M REALLY UPSET BECAUSE I'M POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR.

Alright, getting over that little tidbit, here's a sweet little oneshot for my EG crackship!

(PSSSST, you should, like, totes check out scoots2 if you like CheesePie and stuff 'cause she's a great writer. *Valley Girl Voice* CHECK HER OUT~! ...Also, happy early birthday, scoots~)

Comments ( 14 )

Aw, thank you! And very cute. Am I right in guessing that they dressed up as themselves?

Incidentally, I like the way you've been using Cheese as an offstage bud. It just makes sense to me.

The story was sweet.

Whew! Another SombraPie from the writer of writers! Tell me, how close are we to another ButtonBelle?

5157789 Or what about a crossover? Button Mash goes to Sombra for relationship advice. Hilarity ensues.

Really cute story, loved it! Thumbs up.:heart:

5158961 ooh, that would be a nice one!

I really missed your sombrapie stories. :scootangel:

I love these damn EG sombrapie stories.

Damn these are cute.

Aww, so cute:twilightsmile:
An epilogue would be awesome!

Login or register to comment