• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 942 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 942

Rarity Threat Re-met

Shining Armor lagged behind as he followed his sister through Ponyville and headed toward The Diamond's Gleam. Things had gone well at the library. He had met Trixie, got to know about her, and ended up being told that they had only slept together in the literal sense so far. At one point, Shining Armor was alone with Trixie and managed to give her some advice from his role as elder sibling (although any others who heard it would have called it "threatening" or "intimidation"). Neither of them said anything to Twilight on the matter when she returned.

When the meeting was done, Twilight Sparkle started to lead Shining Armor to the club to meet Rarity.

The name had sent a thrill of uncertainty through the stallion. That was the name that Fluttershy had called the white unicorn he met last night.

Shining Armor had to admit that he was never very good with mares. Most of the time, attempts to approach and talk to them had been awkward. He never really knew how to start conversations. It also turned out he was a little oblivious when it came to flirting. Several of his associates had teased him when a mare had been trying to get his interest, and he had not even noticed. As such, he could appreciate a bit more of an open and direct approach. It had also just been some harmless teasing.

At the same time, he was not used to such forwardness or aggression. He had seen it before, most often with stallions. There had even been times when he had needed to step in because a mare was being uncomfortable or intimidated. Even a mare being so direct was not entirely alien to him. It was just that he had never been on the receiving end of it before. It was kind of a strange experience, and he was not entirely certain how he felt about it. He appreciated the idea of a mare being open and expressing what she wanted, but he also found the experience intimidating as well.

As such, Shining Armor felt uncertainty as to how to interact with Rarity. Hopefully, the teasing was done for the time being (although a small part of him would have no objections if it continued... a part that was immediately burdened by guilt then anger). He would like to get to know the mare and see why Twilight is friends with her. Plus, having a mare act that way toward him in front of his sister sounded extremely embarrassing.

Feeling a little more relaxed and confident, Shining Armor continued to follow after his sister. The two soon reached the building in question, and headed inside.

Three mares sat at one table. Two of them Shining Armor recognized: Fluttershy and Rarity. The third pony was a sky blue pegasus with a rainbow colored mane.

"Oh," Twilight called out. "How convenient. I was wondering how to find her." She started walking toward the table.

"Shining, these are my friend, Sergeant Rainbow Dash of the town guard, and Rarity, owner and manager of The Diamond's Gleam. Rarity, Dash, this is my brother, Lieutenant Shining Armor of The Royal Guard."

"Hey," Rainbow Dash said as she turned to face two. "Nice to meet ya. Been hearing a lot about you lately."

"Yes," Rarity said with a smile. "It is nice to meet you again."

Twilight shifted and tilted her head, looking between Rarity and Shining Armor.

"You two have met before?"

"Rarity answered the house when I showed up at your and Fluttershy's house," Shining Armor answered.

"Indeed," agreed Rarity. "I had just dropped off Sweetie Belle for the sleepover and was leaving when your brother arrived."

"Speaking of leaving," Rainbow Dash said as she got up, "I need to head out." She turned to Shining Armor. "Maybe we can hang out before you go back to Canterlot."

A flap of her wings lifted her from the ground as she flew off toward the door.

"So," Rarity said as she turned to face Shining Armor, "prior to your arrival, Fluttershy" -- Fluttershy tensed at the sound of her name -- "was telling me about" -- her eyes went wide as she hid behind her mane. Rarity would never tell a secret like her crush, right? -- "about your recent break-up with your fillyfriend. You have my sympathies. I know it can be rough to have a relationship end rather abruptly."

Fluttershy relaxed, letting out a sigh of relief. She felt a little bad thinking her friend would betray her trust like that, especially since Rarity was the one who advised her to tell Shining Armor about her feeling when the two of them were alone. It was just Fluttershy being a little paranoid.

"Thanks," Shining Armor said, giving a small smile. "I appreciate it."

"Tell you what," Rarity said with a smile, "how about a night on me? Come back tomorrow and it will be my treat. A well made meal with a deliciously fattening dessert, a few drinks, some good music and some humor. It won't help you get over the situation entirely, but I assure you that you will feel much better after."

Shining Armor chewed his lip, considering it.

"I insist," Rarity stated. "You will enjoy yourself and be in a better mood, even if you do not believe so now."

"So, I don't really have a choice?" Shining Armor asked.

"No. Either you come on your own, or I shall come and pick you up -- literally if necessary -- and drag you here."

"Would she actually do that?" Shining Armor asked the other two mares, who simply shrugged. Shining Armor rolled his eyes and gave a shake of his head.

"Well it seems I don't really have a choice in the matter, does it?"

"I know I'm seeming a little malicious," Rarity admitted, "but I assure you it is for the best. It is better to express your feelings and let out your grief than to... mope... as it were. Besides," she smiled, "it may even help you enough that you are willing to begin moving on." She gave a wink to Fluttershy.

"Now, I'd offer you lunch, but I believe you were planning to dine elsewhere."

"Right," Twilight Sparkle answered. "Do you want to join us?"

"Perhaps another time. I still have some matters to deal with here. Besides, Coco is still about and I should make certain she eats as well."

"Alright. Well, good luck and we'll see you later."

"You certainly will." Rarity turned her attention to Shining Armor. "Especially you."

Shining Armor felt his cheeks heat up as he moved away from the table. He and his sister made their way toward the doors, heading back out to Ponyville.

"Thank you again for the advice," Fluttershy said before following after them.