• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 7,721 Views, 230 Comments

Refraction - shortskirtsandexplosions



Twilight goes to spend time with her friends at Sugarcube Corner. She gets the distinct feeling that something is missing.

  • ...
22
 230
 7,721

_j_u___t__a__s_p_a___k_

The bell above the door rang as Twilight Sparkle trotted into Sugarcube Corner.

Fluttershy and Applejack looked up from where they sat at a table, sipping from soda bottles.

"Hi, Twilight,"Fluttershy said with a calm wave.

"Howdy there sugarcube. Join us, why don'tcha?!"

"I'm sorry to keep you girls waiting," Twilight Sparkle said as as she trotted up to the table. "And I hate to say it, but, I-I haven't got too much time to spare."

"Well, alrighty then." Applejack nodded. "Still, it's nice seein' ya, in any case, Twilight."

"You've really been studying a lot lately, haven't you?" Fluttershy remarked.

"This report I'm making on the friendship negotiations with the local diamond dog colony isn't going to write itself!" Twilight exhaled through a tired smile. "It'd help if I knew anything about them."

"Well..." Applejack fiddled with her soda bottle. "Do you know any books on them?"

"Barely any resources, actually." Twilight sighed, rubbing her tired eyes. "I spent all last night looking for some sort of biological or anthropological report on sentient canine subspecies, but I've had no luck." She looked over at Fluttershy, blinking. "I was kind of hoping you might have something to say on the topic, Fluttershy."

The mare nearly choked on her last soda sip. She wiped her muzzle shivering. "M-me?"

"You are a certified expert on animals, aren't you?"

"Animals are one thing." Fluttershy bit her lip. "M-monsters are another."

"But that's just it!" Twilight exclaimed. "The goal of my report is to prove to other ponies that these diamond dogs are not monsters!"

"Good luck with that, Twilight," Applejack muttered. "Them dirty varmints have done nothin' but attack ponies whenever they come within a horseshoe's throw of those dirty holes they be diggin'."

"I know... I know." Twilight fiddled with her hooves. "I just wish there was some way of making first contact with them... to prove to the diamond dogs that ponies only want peace and harmony!"

"Well?!" Pinkie Pie bounced in from the kitchen area of the eatery. "You ever thought about throwing them a bone?! That's always worked with Applejack's dog!"

"Pinkie..." Applejack glared tiredly at her. "As much as I hate to admit it, these mutts are a tad bit higher on the food chain than Winona."

"... ... ..." Pinke blinked. "How about a dog bone sprinkled with powdered sugar?"

"Unnnngh..." Twilight headdesk'd. "Pinkie..."

"Want something to drink, Twilight?" Pinkie winked. "You look exhausted, so it's on the house!"

Twilight looked up with a tired smile. "That would be wonderful, Pinkie," she said. "Could I have a root beer?"

"You could! But may you?"

"Pinkieeeeee..."

"Heehee!" Pinkie bounced away. "Coming right up!"

"Make it extra tall, if that's okay" Twilight called after her. She looked at the others seated with her. "I really need the energy to stay up." She rubbed her tired muzzle. "It's going to be a long night."

"A long night to a long week," Applejack said, nodding.

"Anyways..." Twilight folded her hooves atop the table. "What were you girls talking about right before I arrived?"

"Oh..." Fluttershy sighed, staring at her half-empty bottle. "Applejack and I were just talking about the Grand Galloping Gala."

"It's the weekend after next," Applejack said. "Can y'all believe that?!"

"It seems like just yesterday when they were posting banners about it all over town," Fluttershy said in a melancholic tone. "Oh, how I would love to go to one of those dances sometime."

"You, Fluttershy?" Twilight blinked, then grinned. "Really?"

"Mmmm..." Fluttershy nodded. "Just once." She glanced at Applejack. "N-not for the actual dance! But... I-I've always wanted to visit the Canterlot Gardens. They have the most rare flora and fauna on display there."

"Heh, we know, sugarcube." Applejack rolled her eyes with a playful smirk. "You've told us plenty of times."

"You know, Fluttershy..." Twilight leaned forward, wagging her eyebrows. "Princess Celestia invites me to the Gala every year. If I asked her nicely, I'm willing to bet I could take you along with me."

"Oh!" Fluttershy instantly winced. "Oh n-no! I couldn't! Don't even think about it!"

"Fluttershy!" Twilight chuckled. "It's just a dance! It's not like you would be alone!"

"I... I-I just can't h-handle large crowds like that!" Fluttershy gulped. "I'm always afraid that something terrible is going to happen and I wouldn't even kn-know what to do with myself!"

"From what the newspapers said, Canterlot Castle didn't spontaneously blow up last year!" Twilight smirked even more. "I doubt this year would be any different! Honestly, what's to be afraid of?!"

"I'm sorry, Twilight." Fluttershy bit her lip. "I... I-I just can't do it. Besides, it's not like I have anything to wear."

"Yeah..." Twilight nodded slowly, gazing into the far corner of the eatery. "To be honest, I spent four whole months saving up for the dress I wore last year. This time around, I-I don't think I could even afford a gown for myself!"

"Well don't look at me!" Applejack chortled. "I'd much rather chop off my two left hooves than go to one of those fru-fruey events!"

"Really?" Fluttershy blinked at her. "Don't you think you'd sell a lot of apples if you were to rent out a market stand there?"

"Pffft... ain't worth the expense, darlin'. Believe me, I've figured it all out ages ago... at least as best as I can muster with fancy mathematics."

"Mathematics?!" Fwooooosh! A blue figure blurred through the window. Rainbow Dash landed on the table, bearing a sour grimace. "Ewww! Why talk about math on an awesome day like this?!"

"Rainbow..." Twilight sighed. "Must you?"

"Hooves off the table, ya crazy filly!" Applejack barked. "How many times do I gotta tell ya?"

"Pffft! Party pooper!" Rainbow did a backflip and landed beside the group, holding up an open envelope. "Just for that, I'm not inviting you along for the most awesome event in Baltimare this weekend!"

"Why? What's happenin' in Baltimare?"

"Why, only the most star-studded line-up of professional wrestlers ever!" Rainbow brandished the flyer with pride. "Colt Angle! The Undertrotter!" She squee'd. "The Undertrotter! Can you believe it?! One night only!"

"Why, shoot!" Applejack smirked. "That sounds like a real treat!"

"Dang straight!"

"I wouldn't mind joinin' you for some good ol' mind-numbin' fun!"

"Pffft! What would you rather be doing?!" Rainbow Dash stuck her tongue out. "Going to some stupid gala?"

Fluttershy let loose a tiny whimper.

Rainbow Dash gestured towards the pegasus. "What's her deal?"

"Oh, the typical Gala Funk," Twilight said with a slight chuckle. "Still, we are our own worst enemies."

"That and the market value for dresses," Fluttershy grumbled.

"Awwwwwwww..." Rainbow flew in and threw a forelimb around Fluttershy, side-hugging her. "Cheer up, Fluttershy! Come with Applejack and me to see Dean Marelenkoats Jr put a punk or two into the Texoats Cloverleaf!"

"Uhhh..." Fluttershy squirmed. "C-can I think about it?"

"Girl, it's wrestling! What's to think about?!"

Applejack guffawed.

"Well..." Fluttershy sighed through a nervous smile. "If it means so much to you, Rainbow, I'll go."

"Woohoo!" Rainbow pumped a hoof, then glanced aside. "Twilight? What about you?"

"Well... uhm..." Twilight fidgeted. "I've... uh... g-got this diamond dog report, and... uh..."

"Pfft?! You mean you'd rather spend your time wasted over stupid pit bulls than even stupider pit fighters?!"

Pinkie Pie slid up to the table, balancing a tray on her poofy head. "Heeeeeere's your root beer, Twilight!"

"Ooooh!" Twilight gladly grasped the tall glass from the tray with magical telekinesis. "Saved by the Pinkie!"

"Hiya Dashie!" Pinkie turned towards the pegasus with a beaming smile. "Here, have a tall glass of cider!"

"Hey, th-thanks!" Rainbow grasped the container, took a sip, and waved the flyer before the mare's nose. "Say, Pinkie, you up for some wrestling the weekend after next?"

"I dunno, Rainbow. Do you think your thighs can handle it?"

"No... I mean watching wrestling, doofus!"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh..." Pinkie blinked. "Is El Donkey going to be there?"

Rainbow made a face. "Who?!"

Pinkie shrieked in her face. "Who are you to doubt El Donkey?!"

"I-I'm starting to change my mind," Fluttershy said in a murmuring voice.

"Oh come on!" Rainbow squawked. "Fluttershy, it's just pageantry! Only, y'know... with more sweat and spandex!"

"And blading," Applejack said, pointing. "Don't forget the one thang still keepin' Ric Flank in the biz."

"Bl-bl-blading?!" Fluttershy stammered, eyes turning to pinpricks.

"Aaaaaugh! Darn it, AJ! Now you've gone and done it!"

"Heh heh heh heh..."

"Wow, as riveting as this conversation is..." Twilight sipped and sipped and guzzled her root beer.

"Whoah whoah whoah!" Pinkie waved her forelimbs, giggling. "Careful, Twilight! Or you'll float away! You shouldn't shove that many sparkles and bubbles together!"

"Nnngh..." Twilight slapped the empty glass down onto the table and wiped her muzzle. "I-I really need to get this paper over and done with."

"Awwwwwww..." Rainbow Dash pouted. "But you just got here!"

"No, you just got here." Twilight giggled lightly. "I, on the other hoof, have a really difficult paper to finish, and though this distraction was nice, I'm nowhere closer to my goal."

"Say, you need any help with it?" Rainbow Dash flew a little higher, grinning. "I know a thing or two about dogs!"

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Like what?"

"... ... ...they like fire hydrants?"

"Ungh..." Applejack face-hoofed while Fluttershy giggled.

"Rainbow, I don't think Celestia's going to appreciate any fire hydrant non-sequiturs in my paper," Twilight droned.

"Well, how about some company for moral support?" Rainbow exclaimed. "You can come up with your own nod seculars!"

"Thanks... but no. I concentrate the best when I'm studying alone." Twilight shrugged. "I always have."

"Wouldn't you at least let us walk you home, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked. "It's a long way from here to there."

Twilight opened her mouth, hesitated, then ultimately said. "Thanks. But I'm good." She smiled. "Besides, you've all done enough to help me as it is. The real crux of a report like this is the power of friendship. And just knowing that you guys are here... and you're always around when I need you... well..." She sighed warmly. "It's a real blessing. And that's something that the diamond dogs don't have, which might explain why they're so angry and grumpy all the time."

"See?" Rainbow grinned, winking. "And who says you didn't need us to come up with something?"

"Heeheehee... well." Twilight shrugged. "It's a start, I guess." She leaned in to nuzzle them one by one, starting with Fluttershy and ending with Pinkie Pie. "Thanks a ton, girls. I don't know where I'd be without you. Just... everything you have to give me... even just by being here." She gulped. "It's so generous. Really. It is."

"Works both ways, darlin'," Applejack said with a smile. "We're plum happy to have you around. If you need anythang, just ask."

"Right..." Twilight nodded, trotting out the door. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind."

She took her time in trotting home. The sights and sounds of Ponyville settled around her like a cool blanket with the fall of evening. When she reached the front door to her library, she froze in place. Biting her lip, she turned and glanced behind her. The streets were empty, and the shadows were intensifying by the minute. Twilight wasn't sure why, but her heart started pounding in her chest.

Nevertheless, she turned the doorknob and stepped inside. All was dark beyond the tall stacks of books, save for two fixed points of light. An eerie voice resonated from the luminescent spots, instantly chilling Twilight to the bone.

"Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight froze in place, her muzzle agape.

The eyes narrowed. "Are you happy now, Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight clenched her teeth. She looked towards the door that she had just closed, then nervously back at the winged shadow. "...yes?"

A solid beam of light struck the unicorn's chest. Writhing in agony, Twilight felt the world spin as she was collided with the wall behind her.