• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 7,721 Views, 230 Comments

Refraction - shortskirtsandexplosions



Twilight goes to spend time with her friends at Sugarcube Corner. She gets the distinct feeling that something is missing.

  • ...
22
 230
 7,721

_j_u___t__a__s_p_a_r_k_

The bell above the door rang as Twilight Sparkle trotted briskly into Sugarcube Corner.

Fluttershy and Applejack looked up from where they sat at a table, sipping from soda bottles.

"Hi, Twilight!" Fluttershy smiled.

"Howdy sugarcube! About time! Come and have a squat!"

"Sorry to keep you girls waiting!" Twilight Sparkle shuffled up to the table, breathless. "And I hate to say it, but, I-I haven't got too much time to spare."

"Awwwwww..." Applejack's ears folded beneath her hat. "Shucks."

"You've really been hitting those books hard lately, haven't you?" Fluttershy remarked.

"This report I'm making on the friendship negotiations with the local diamond dog colony isn't going to write itself!" Twilight exhaled through a tired smile. "I've got all of the notes Rarity gave me from her captivity a year ago—"

"Oh yeah!" Applejack nodded. "I remember that."

"Erm..." Fluttershy shuddered. "Me too..."

"But somehow it isn't enough." Twilight groaned inwardly, rubbing her temple. "I don't need to focus on just the bad things that the diamond dogs did on the outskirts of Ponyville. There's something missing. I need more."

"Hey!" Pinkie Pie bounced in from the kitchen area of the eatery. "I heard something about hitting books!" She spun towards Twilight, chuckling. "Hiya Twilight! You want a sledgehammer for that?!"

Applejack and Twilight giggled.

"Pinkie..." Twilight rolled her eyes, smiling. "It's not that kind of book hitting."

"I know that, silly filly!" Pinkie stuck her tongue out then grinned even wider. "What you really need is a jackhammer!"

"Eugh..." Applejack rolled her eyes. "My southeast fields are full of maize and even still they ain't as corny as you, Pinkie!"

"Whatcha want to drink, Twilight?" Pinkie winked. "It's on the house!"

"Awwwww... thanks!" Twilight smiled. "I... think I'll have a root beer, if that's alright!"

"Rootie Tootie Pootie!" Pinkie cantered towards the far end of Sugarcube Corner. "Coming right up!"

"N-not too large a glass, though!" Twilight called after her. She looked at the others seated with her. "Too much sugar makes my mind antsy. Then the words just jump off the pages, y'know?"

"Heck, that happens to me whenever I read a book," Applejack said with a slight guffaw.

"Whew..." Twilight leaned back in her seat, exhaling. "Sure is nice to relax for a bit. Ever since I became the treehouse's head librarian, it's been a job-and-a-half just keeping the place nice and tidy! I swear, if I wasn't working on reports around the clock, I'd start hiring for volunteer assistants! So, I-I hope you don't hate me too much for almost-forgetting our little get-together." She paused for a few seconds, then smiled. "But don't let me interrupt you! What were you girls talking about right before I arrived?"

"Oh, Applejack and I were just discussing how the Gala's right around the corner," Fluttershy said.

"Princess Celestia has extended her invitation again!" Applejack chuckled. "Can y'all believe that?!"

"It seems like just yesterday when we were having the best night of our lives," Fluttershy said. "Well... uh..." She blushed slightly. "So to speak."

"Heh..." Twilight winced. "Somehow... I don't think just one year is enough for most ponies in Canterlot to forget what happened the first time we went."

"Awwww what the hay?!" Applejack shrugged. "They'll let us in! I mean, what do they've got to lose?!"

"Are you serious?" Fluttershy glanced incredulously at Applejack. "Surely they must remember the noise, the carnage..." She gulped. "...and th-the rampaging animals."

"Yes, but they also remember Rarity's dresses." Twilight winked. "I bet that's the real reason they'll let us back!"

"You mean my apple fritters won't win their hoity toity favor?"

Twilight and Fluttershy laughed.

Applejack smirked, leaning a hoof to her chin. "Shoot... who am I kiddin'? Rarity's the classiest of us all. I'm sure she's beside herself with this invitation thingy."

"And how." Fluttershy nodded. "It's all she talks about when we go to the spa together."

"Oooh..." Twilight leaned forward, beaming. "I wonder if she's planning any new dresses for the Gala?!"

"You th-think?!"

"Gala Shmala!" Fwooooosh! A blue figure blurred through the window. Rainbow Dash landed on the table, striking a pose. "I've got waaaaaay more awesome news!"

"Whoah, there, Rainbow!" Twilight winced. "Dramatic entrance, much?"

"Where're yer manners, ya silly varmint?!" Applejack barked. "Hooves off the table before Mr. and Mrs. Cake throw us out!"

Rainbow did a backflip and landed beside the group, holding up an opened envelope. "The weekend after next, there's a wrestling show in Baltimare! That's just half-a-day's flight from here!"

"So?" Twilight asked.

"So...?!" Rainbow gawked at her. "This is finally my chance to show you guys the best professional sports entertainment in the world!" She spun towards the others, grinning. "Colt Angle is going to be there! And the Undertrotter!" She flew over to Fluttershy, side-hugging her tight. "The Undertrotter! Squee!"

"Uhm..." Fluttershy blushed slightly. "They... c-certainly picked a bad time."

Rainbow Dash leaned back, blinking. "Huh?! What are you talking about?! We can all take a train there! It'll only be a day! I've been wanting to take you guys to a real wrestling show for ages!"

"Rainbow, it's the same weekend as the Grand Galloping Gala!" Twilight said. "I mean, the scheduling doesn't exactly surprise me, demographics considered and all..."

"But... but..." Rainbow Dash slumped back, pouting. "We've already done a Gala! Come on, guys!" She held the envelope up, eyes twinkling. "Even Dean Marelenkoats Jr is showing up..."

"Rainbow Dash, you can go on and have yerself a grand ol' time watchin' stallions in spandex smack each other in the head," Applejack said. "But it'd be a shame for the rest of us to turn down the royal invitations we've received."

"Besides, we would love to have you come with us!" Fluttershy exclaimed, smiling. "Please, Rainbow, won't you join?"

Rainbow gritted her teeth. She looked at the envelope, at her friends, then at the envelope again. "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..." Her wings drooped as she ripped the flyer to shreds and slumped down with folded forelimbs. "Fine. I'll go to the Gala." She rolled her eyes. "It wouldn't be fun booing Colt Angle without you guys anyway."

"Awwwww, Rainbow..." Twilight leaned in to nuzzle her. "Our awesome pegasus. Loyal to the end."

"Guhhh!" Rainbow shrugged her off, nevertheless smiling. "Just don't get mushy about it, will ya? Pfffft... the Gala shouldn't be that bad."

"Lightning never strikes twice, ya reckon?"

"Plus, if we're lucky, maybe somepony will hit another pony with a folding chair!"

"Rainbow..."

Pinkie Pie slid up to the table, balancing a tray on her poofy head. "Heeeeeere's your root beer, Twilight!" She plopped the tiny glass down onto the table before the mare. "Careful! It's foamy!" She turned towards the pegasus. "Hiya Dashie! And here's a tall glass of cider for you!"

"Whoahhh..." Rainbow Dash's muzzle fell agape as she carefully cradled the glass. "Pinkie! How'd you know I'd be swinging by?"

"My left eye was twitching!" Pinkie the tray around. "And, on that note, my right fetlock was itching. So that means—"

The door rang as Rarity rushed in, breathless. "Sorry I'm late! Gnnngh!" She sweated and winced, her horn straining to levitate several silken sheets in after her. "Mmmff! I h-hit the most terrible traffic on the way here!"

"—a vanilla cherry smoothie for Rarity!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed melodically.

"Oh, darling, you sh-shouldn't have!" Rarity grunted, struggling to keep the silk sheets from slipping. "And h-here I thought... mmmff... I was the generous one!"

"Land's sakes, Rarity!" Applejack got up and briskly trotted over. "Lemme lend you a hoof with that, darlin'!"

"Oomfa!" Rarity dropped half of the silk sheets on Applejack's backside. She exhaled with relief. "Much appreciated, Applejack, and not a second too soon! Why... I was almost perspiring!"

"Wouldn't that be a dag-blame'd shame?" Applejack said with a smirk.

"Pinkie, that marvelous smoothie is just what I need right now." Rarity rushed over to the table and took a dainty sip. "Mmmmm... That certainly hits the spot after a long, taxing day."

"The heck's gotten you so frazzled in the first place?" Rainbow asked, sipping on her cider. "And what's with all the silk napkins?"

"Rainbow Dash! Surely you jest!" Rarity recoiled, then gestured at the sheets Applejack was placing on the table. "Why, these are samples of the gowns I'm making for the Gala, of course!"

"Oh really?!" Fluttershy gasped. "Oh, Rarity, you shouldn't have!"

"Of course I should! And I will!" An airy laugh. "And I do! Last year was a complete disaster! And while I'm not entirely the one to blame, I still feel partially responsible for the chaos that could easily have been avoided!" She spread several of the silk sheets out. "This year, things will be different! I'm going for simplicity! Something that'll look elegant for all of us, but only with a modicum of frills!"

"Ah, I see what yer gettin' at." Applejack smirked. "All under-the-radar-like."

"Duaaaaaah!" Pinkie Pie gasped. "Is the Gala being held underwater this year?!"

Fluttershy giggled.

"Actually, Pinkie Pie, I think the key word then would be 'sonar.'"

"Twilight..." Rainbow Dash groaned, emptying her cider mug and wiping her muzzle dry. "Just quit while you're ahead."

"You think that was funny?" Pinkie Pie giggle-snorted. "Here's a real doozie! What did the killer whale say to his dolphin friend when he offered to turn on the radio?"

"I give," Fluttershy said. "What?"

"'No thanks! I'm having a real bad 'haddock!'"

"Ugggggggggh..." Rainbow Dash's whole body slumped on her wings.

"Heeheehee!" Pinkie Pie danced in a gleeful little circle.

Twilight gave a long-winded sigh. "Service with a smile, even if it's a weary one." She raised her root beer and winked. "That's why I come to Sugarcube Corner and noplace else."

"I know! Heehee! I'm full of murk, aren't I?"

"I think the word is 'mirth.'"

"That too! Heeehee!"

"Ughhh..."

"Ahem. Now, girls..." Rarity tilted her chin up proudly while sliding the silk sheets across the table. "These are the colors I've picked out for each and every one of you. I've included a rough design of your gowns on a white sheet folded in between the samples. They're for your eyes and your eyes only. Now, I want you to take these home tonight. Then, for the next few evenings if you have to, carefully look them over and decide whether or not the colors I've chosen to you are complementary enough. If you think so—or if you believe that I should augment the rough designs—then come back and talk with me and we'll choose a final draft. And then I'll start sewing!" She beamed, squealing inwardly. "Mmmmm! And then we'll be sashaying across the dance floor at the Gala once again!"

"Yeah..." Rainbow muttered. "I can hardly wait."

"Rainbow..." Fluttershy leaned in to nuzzle her.

"Unngh... yeah yeah." Rainbow smirked. "I'm thrilled. Really."

"I can't wait!" Twilight said, drinking up her root beer. "Especially since I'll be done with my paper by then!"

"Oh, Twilight, darling." Rarity smirked across the table. "Are you still slaving away at that diamond dog report?"

"Well, it has to be done sooner than later, Rarity," Twilight said. "After all, this is a special occasion! I mean... just think about it!" She blinked brightly at the other ponies. "Barely a year ago, the diamond dogs wouldn't have even thought of speaking amicably with ponykind! But over the last few weeks, they've been making contact—friendly contact! They helped an injured filly stuck along the country path! They worked to put out a house that had caught fire! And now we've learned that when the parasprites swarmed Ponyville, they were doing their best to shoo the pests away!"

"I suppose beneath all of that coarse fur and uncouth slobber there's..." Rarity gulped. "...something that stands to be respected."

"I think kindness can be found in any creature," Fluttershy said with a smile. "At least, it's what I've always believed. It's nice to see it happening with those who we once thought were monsters."

"I still think it's a bit of a stretch to tack it all on friendship, Twilight," Applejack said. "But, I-I'm not the expert on it like you are."

"Are you kidding?!" Twilight gaped. "Of course you're an expert! You all are! It's no silly coincidence that creatures like the diamond dogs have warmed up to ponykind since we all became best friends!"

"You mean before you showed up in Ponyville, Twilight," Rainbow said with a smirk.

The others chuckled.

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smirk. "You girls really need to give yourself more credit." She stood up. "Well, I'm sorry, but I really gotta go. The sooner I get this done—"

"Right." Rarity nodded. "Just don't forget the samples I gave you."

"I wouldn't dream of it!" Twilight levitated the tiny silk sheets and waved at the group. "Thanks, everypony! Sorry for having to stop and go so quickly."

"It's okay, Twilight." Fluttershy craned her head to the side. "Would you like one of us to walk you home?"

"Walk me home?" Twilight blinked. "What for?" She giggled. "This is Ponyville, not Detrot."

"We know that, but—"

"Besides, it's not even dark yet."

"It's just that, for a pony who writes so many reports about friendship, well..." Fluttershy fidgeted. "You... still insist on living in that old, dusty library all by your lonesome."

"Hah! Are you kidding? It's not so bad!" Twilight winked. "After all, I've got all the books in the world to distract me."

"I suppose so. Even still, if you want the company..."

"Heehee... what do you think I came here for?" Twilight smiled. "Anyways, see you all later. Sorry again for coming and going."

"Dun ya fret, sugarcube. We know yer busy."

"We're just glad we got to see you at all, darling."

"Don't work your brain noodle too hard, Twilight!" Pinkie said and bounced. "At least not before pouring some milk and cheese in!"

"Heeheehee... whatever you say, Pinkie." Twilight turned and trotted out Sugarcube Corner while the rest of the table giggled merrily.

She took her time trotting home, enjoying the setting sun and the sights of sleepy ponies shuffling leisurely to their sleepy little homes. On the last straightaway between her and the library, Twilight enjoyed some skygazing, sighing with a contented smile. At last, before evening completely fell, she opened the door to her library and stepped in.

The entire front room was in dissarray. Books were stacked in leaning towers and there were heaps of scrap paper careening off the edges of desks. Twilight could only groan to herself as she trotted past the scholastic squalor.

"For real, though," she muttered to herself. "I need to put up a bulletin for an assistant. This is getting s-silly."

She had just begun levitating the first of many stacks of books when a voice echoed from the shadows.

"Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight gasped. In an instant, every book thudded to the floor. She spun about, squinting. "What... wh-who's there?!"

A tall figure stood, its wings outstretched just beyond focus. A pair of glowing eyes hovered close to the ceiling.

"Princess Celestia?!" Twilight sputtered. A nervous chill ran through her body. She gulped. "Luna...?"

The eyes narrowed. "Are you happy, Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight blinked. "Uhhhh..."

"Are you happy?"

With a gulp, Twilight said. "Yes. I'm happy." She nodded. "Why wouldn't I be?"

The eyes stared coldly at her.

Twilight took a brave step. "Who are you?"

A beam of bright light soared from the figure, striking Twilight in the chest. The unicorn shrieked in pain. Her body flew back, slamming into the library wall.