• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 395 Views, 6 Comments

Grounded for Life - Supremechief



They say the impossible is called that because that's what it is, inconceivable, unreachable, illogical, and unattainable. Steelbolt intends to challenge that statement as he embarks on a quest to achieve a birthright that fate cruelly denied hi

  • ...
0
 6
 395

Chapter 2: A Way to Fly

Grounded For Life

By Supremechief

Reviewed by TP-Night

Chapter 2: A Way to Fly

***

“Honey, I’m home.” A stallion called out as he walked through the front door. He was the same stallion as the one in the picture with Steelbolt. Paragrim was wearing a simple military uniform and on the shoulder of his uniform was a unit crest similar to his cutie mark but had a sun on the upper left quadrant and a moon on the lower right. The crest was the mark of the “Equestrian Rangers” a light infantry unit of the Royal Guard who built up a reputation of always being the first to the fight. Although it was a time of peace in Equestria, Paragrim still serves as a trainer for new recruits at a military camp just outside of Cloudsdale.

“Welcome home dear. How were the new recruits today?” Nightingale asked her husband. Although she knew what kind of answer he would give her while she was making final preparation to dinner.

“Well, out of the twenty-seven cadets who signed up last week I had five hurlers and three droppers by the end of the day. In the end, I’d say that these cadets are more durable than the last generation.” Paragrim said with a smile as hurlers and droppers were code words for those who “lost their lunch” or fainted by the end of training.

“By those numbers I would agree. You usually have three as much hurlers and twice as many droppers.” Nightingale says as she laughed a bit. After Nightingale had calmed herself down and recomposed herself, she turned and looked into her husband’s eyes with a serious stare. “Paragrim, there is a favour I like to ask of you.” She told her husband with a serious tone.

“What kind of favour?” Paragrim replied looking confused. His wife is quite capable with handling most tasks on her own and since the Vetrini and Steelbolt are usually home before he is, they are usually trusted to take care of errands if Nightingale got too busy with patients.

“It’s about Steelbolt.” Nightingale began, “I believe he is being bullied at school again because of his, “condition”. I would like you to try talking to him during your after dinner activity with him, and maybe…” she paused for a bit before continuing, “ Try to bring up the relocation plan with him and convince him to go along with it.”

A moment of silence filled the room before Paragrim broke it, “It won’t be easy.” Paragrim sighed as he looked away, “Steelbolt loves being in the clouds. Plus you know how he is at times. He often lets other’s happiness take priority of his own. If we tell him that we are going to move, he may take it that we are doing it only for his sake. He may see himself as a burden and blame himself for making us leave our home. He would rather bear a burden than become one.”

“We both know that isn’t true.” Nightingale stated she used one of her fore hooves to guide Paragrim’s face to look him in the eyes. “We are his parents and we must be willing to do what it takes to give our children a happy childhood.”

“I know dear. I’m just saying that it won’t be easy to convince Steelbolt to go alone with it.” Paragrim said with a tone of doubt before hugging his wife. Little did the two ponies realize that a pair of little green eyes was spying on them down the hallway.

***

After dinner, Vetrini and Steelbolt began to help their mother with the dishes when Paragrim came over to Steelbolt and said, “Steelbolt, your sister and your mother can handle the dishes. How about I take you for a ride around the neighbourhood?” A large smile appeared on Steelbolt’s face and he jumped off the stool he was using to reach the sink to follow his father out the door. Paragrim sat down once they were in the front yard as Steelbolt climbed on his back. Then with a powerful flap of his wings they were off as Steelbolt shouted with enjoyment.

After her brother and father were long gone did Vetrini spoke to her mother, “We’re moving to the surface aren't we?” she asked with a hint of sadness.

Nightingale looked towards her daughter with surprise as she was preparing the sink to wash the dishes. “She must have overheard us earlier” Nightingale thought. There was no longer any point to keep it a secret. Vetrini must understand the situation her little brother was in. “Vetrini try to understand. Your father and I are not enthusiastic about the idea either. But your broth…” Nightingale began to explain when Vetrini cuts her off.

“I know why mom.” Vetrini said dryly, “I was one of the first that Steelbolt talked to about his bullying problem. I just don’t want to move away from Cloudsdale. I have friends here, good friends. I just don’t want to leave them with my brother being a large cause of it. Don’t get me wrong I want him to be happy as well and I wished that I could have been there to defend him. I can see through his fake smiles as well as you can. Even though I do visit Ms. Fluttershy in Ponyville sometimes to practice veterinary skills, Cloudsdale is my home and I don’t want to leave it unless it was something to do with everyone.” Vetrini stated while she lathered up the dishes in the suds.

Silence began to fill the room as both mares continued to clean the dishes. After a brief moment Nightingale broke the silence saying, “I’m sorry Vetrini, but the one who has the last say on the matter is your brother. Should he agree with your father and me that we should move to the surface then that’s that.”

***

Even though Steelbolt himself was not flying, he still enjoyed the sensation of weightlessness and high speed while wrapping his fore legs around his father’s neck. His father was making turns, Immelmann, barrel rolls and other flight maneuvers that he learned from his times in the “Equestrian Rangers”. Finally they stopped to sit down and rest on a high cloud looking over Cloudsdale. After enjoying the scenery of the city of clouds in the evening sky did Paragrim decide it is time to talk to Steelbolt about the plan.

“Steelbolt, be honest with me. Are you enjoying school? How are you with your classmates?” Paragrim asked his son while he tried to avoid giving any indication of what answer he was looking for.

“Well the classes are fun, the teacher is nice.” Steelbolt began, “Though I usually find myself the odd one out of any sport teams during recess.” He paused a bit before continuing, “I usually just spend my recess reading alone while the other colts and fillies play in the air.” As Steelbolt finished, a sad expression began to form on his face. Paragrim sighed as he knows that he would have to ask a straight question now. But before he could ask, Steelbolt asked him an unexpected question. “Dad, do you think there is a way for me to fly on my own?”

The question caught Paragrim off guard as he replied, “What do you mean?”

“It just that, I’ve been having trouble staying on your back when you take me out flying recently, and that I think we can only have these kinds of moments for perhaps another year.” said Steelbolt as he now laid completely on the cloud with his head rested against the fluff. To him flying was a way to free himself from his troubles. Even from looking over his father’s shoulders, just seeing the world below him becoming smaller as they climbed higher in the air was enough for Steelbolt to forget about his problems. Now Steelbolt had realized that he was starting to get too big for his father to carry him on his back and with it, will be his way to escape reality. “I just want to know if I have a chance to fly even without wings.”

Paragrim paused for a moment before giving his answer, “Of course Steelbolt. Don’t you know that there are already flying machines that can carry ponies into the air?”

“Of course I do Dad.” Steelbolt began while raising his head off the fluff and turned to face his father. “But they are too slow. I want to be fast as I fly. I want to feel the rushing air whistling in my ears. I want the world to fade into a blur as I soar.” He finished with a look of frustration as he turned away and let his head flopped back onto the fluffy cloud he was laying on. After taking a large breath Steelbolt says, “I can put up with my classmates, I can ignore the Storm Brothers insults and I can put up with being left out. All I really want is to fly on my own, here in Cloudsdale.”

After hearing this Paragrim decided to forget about convincing Steelbolt about moving and decided to offer his son some comfort. “Steelbolt, I do not know of any other way that would allow non-pegasi like you to fly.” Paragrim began with Steelbolt looking more depressed. “But that’s because no one has tried to make one yet, or any means that had existed are now lost just waiting to be rediscovered.”

Steelbolt’s eyes widened to those last words and slowly sat back up to turn and face his father again. “Wha… What do you mean Dad?” Steelbolt questioned his father, uncertain by what he meant by “no one had tried” or the “means that had existed are now lost”.

Paragrim smiled as he explained to his son, “Do you recall the story of Nyx and the Midnight Guardians from that book you keep reading?”

“What about it?” Steelbolt asked looking more confused. What does that story have anything to do with him being able to fly in the future?

Paragrim stood up to turn his body and laid down on the cloud to bring himself more the Steelbolt’s height as he continued his explanation. “Well, do you know where those stories come from?”

“From big old ponies with an active imagination?” Steelbolt guessed.

Paragrim laughed a bit before he continued, “That’s partially true Steelbolt. Stories like Nyx and the Midnight Guardian are at times written by somepony with a great sense of imagination. But that does not mean that it was entirely made up.”

“What are you talking about?” Steelbolt said with as a frown developed on his face as he became annoyed with his father’s cryptic clues on how old mythological stories will help him to fly.

“Well son, when ponies create stories involving technology that seems advanced but we don’t have today it is because they did not have proper understanding of science like we do. If they understood the world like we did these ponies would have tried to create these machines during their era. So what you should take from the flight gears and airships in Nyx and the Midnight Guardians is not whether they are real or not, but rather as a possible idea for the world to make real.” Paragrim said when he finished his explanation and saw that a bright smile appeared on his son’s face.

“So what you’re saying Dad is that the flight suits and the airships in my stories may not have existed in the past but could be real in the future if somepony takes the idea and create the real thing?” Steelbolt said excitedly.

Paragrim’s smile began to grow more as he saw the hope that was rising in his son’s eyes. “Yes Steelbolt, they can become real. And for the other part on where these stories came from is something that most ponies would laugh at.” Paragrim began as now a confused look appears on Steelbolt’s face waiting for his father to continue. “It is possible that these stories may be actual historic events that most ponies have forgotten.”

From confusion to shock as Steelbolt’s expression changed again as his mouth gaped open for a few second. “Actual history? Are you serious?!” Steelbolt shouted in disbelief. It was true that he sometimes like to think that the “Stories of Capalltalamh” were actual events, but even the young colt knew better that mythical stories were not really true.

Paragrim continued to smile, as he partially enjoyed the look on his son’s face. “It is a possibility Steelbolt. You see these kinds of stories were told from pony to pony by relying on their memories and using their own interpretation long before the first written documentation took place in our world. The main reason these stories are not called actual events today is because as the story was passed on to the next pony they slowly became more and more distorted. Whether it was a missing or added word, parts were left out because they were forgotten, or new parts were added to help understand the story, by the time they found their way to a sheet of paper about only ten percent was all that remained of the original story.” Paragrim finished letting his son to take in all that he had just said.

“So when you said that “any means that had existed were now lost waiting to be rediscovered” you mean that if there is some truth to the tale of “Nyx and the Midnight Guardians”, then there once was a way to allow earth ponies and unicorns to fly like pegasus at will.” Steelbolt began as he tried to understand his father’s lesson with his eyes shifting from side to side while staring at the cloud he was standing on. “But over the years those means were lost and were only remembered by these stories that eventually became too obscured to be called actual history. Still if there is the smallest possibility that such means to allow flight were done before then it’s possible that it can be done again!” Steelbolt conclude as he almost jumped off the cloud in excitement over this realization if his father had not caught his tail with his teeth before he went over the ledge.

Once Steelbolt was back safely on the cloud, Paragrim motioned his son to climb onto his back as he said, “Climb on Steelbolt, the sun has almost set and your mother would want you to be back home before dark.” When Steelbolt had secured his grip around his father’s neck, Paragrim had his wings spread out and took off into the sky before descending to Cloudsdale’s main level. As they were nearing their destination Paragrim turn his head around to and spoke to Steelbolt who was starting to fall asleep, “Steelbolt?”

“What is it Dad?” asked Steelbolt trying his best to stay awake as his little eye lids grew heavy.

“Your mother was concerned about you having bullying problems at school and she and I thought it may have been best that we move to the surface so you can go to school with other earth ponies.” A panicked look suddenly appeared on Steelbolt’s face and his mouth opened in preparation to protest. Paragrim stopped him and as he continued with his speech, “But this evening I understand that you don’t want to leave Cloudsdale no matter what troubles you’ve been having at school and I can accept that. All that I ask for to help give your mother some piece of mind by trying to report these events to your teacher. She may be able to help you deal with them. And in exchange we won’t move unless we all want to, especially you.”

“Okay Dad I will try to take care of those bullies, for Mom’s sake.” Steelbolt said with a sigh of relief about not having to move as long as he upheld his father’s conditions.

***

As Paragrim walked through the door of the family home with a sleeping Steelbolt on his back, he saw his wife waiting for him on the family couch in the living room reading one of her favourite mystery novels by “T. Velvet”. She looked at her husband then at the sleeping colt on his back and nodded as she showed that she will wait until Steelbolt was in bed before discussing what happened that evening with her husband. As her stallion and colt went down the hall to Steelbolt’s bedroom, Nightingale noticed that both of those ponies had a smile on their faces. She was not expecting a smile from Steelbolt when they got home as she thought he would be a bit upset, even if he agreed to move to the surface. As for her husband, she thought he would be mostly neutral, no matter the outcome. To her these smile may mean only one thing, Paragrim had failed to convince Steelbolt that moving to the surface and going to an earth pony school was best for him and that Paragrim was secretly happy to stay in Cloudsdale at the expense of their son’s misery.

When Paragrim returned to the living room he saw that his wife had a look of disapproval written clearly across her face as she sat on the couch with her forelegs crossed across her chest. “I thought you were going to try your best to convince him that moving to the surface was what’s best for him.” Nightingale said in an accusing tone.

“Look honey if you just give me a moment to explain…” Paragrim said as he tried to defend himself before his wife interrupted him.

“Don’t “honey” me!” Nightingale began as she tried to keep her shout to a whisper as to not wake up the children. “You were supposed to convince Steelbolt that he could have a happier time at school if he attended a school that had other earth ponies, maybe even unicorns too. That way he wouldn’t be so different, and his classmates would no longer have any reason to bully him. But no, you hardly put much effort into it and as soon as he protested you gave up just say you tried when you came home. You don’t care much about your son, you care more about you military career and you are using him as an excuse to stay close to your precious “Rangers”!”

After Nightingale took a few breaths as she vented out her anger towards her husband did Paragrim make his counter argument. “Nightingale, Steelbolt was not upset about being bullied.” Paragrim stated as he tried to remain calm while he tried to fight the urge to shout back.

“Of course it is. What else could it be?” Nightingale questioned her husband, “It is certainly not his schoolwork as he studies hard and gets good grades, and I certainly doubt he is already having filly troubles at his age. If it is not about being picked on by the other kids then what is it?” Demanded Nightingale as she waited on what kind of poor excuse her husband will come up with.

Paragrim took a deep breath before replying, “He was upset because he is getting too big for either of us to carry anymore.”

Nightingale looks at her with a puzzled look then scoffs as she said, “Well, what does that have to do with him being upset? Getting too big for use to carry was inevitable. He had to learn eventually that we can’t carry him around like a helpless foal anymore.”

“That’s not the point Nightingale!” Paragrim exclaim while he did his best to not let his frustration about his wife’s stubbornness get the better of him. Once she had an idea in her head it was hard for her to let it go. It was one of the few flaws that Paragrim had grown use to over the course of their marriage. “The point is that Steelbolt enjoys flying more than anything else and that once we can’t carry him anymore the closest thing he has to enjoy that feeling will be gone for good. He is upset because he knows he is about to be grounded for life soon!” Paragrim paused for a moment as Nightingale put a hoof to her mouth in realization that she had her facts wrong. “Don’t you see dear? Even if we move to a new home on the surface, even if he can make some friends and was no longer bullied, he may not be truly happy as he will be constantly reminded that he cannot fly on his own by his pegasus sister and parents!”

Nightingale was hesitant before she spoke again, “But… But then, what did you tell him after he told you how he felt about not being able to fly that made the both of you so happy when you got home?”

Paragrim sighed as he took a seat beside his wife on the couch and confessed on all the things he and Steelbolt had talked about during their evening flight. From how his son wanted to fly like an actual pegasus and not just to simply float in the air, to how Paragrim shared his philosophy of the origins of mythical stories and that the future is too uncertain to know if he can ever fly on his own. After he had finished, Nightingale paused before she said, “You do realize that you may have just given him false hope?”

Paragrim nodded his head as he answered, “Well what else could I have told him? If I should give him anything, it should be a future he can look forward to.”

Nightingale then rests her head against her husband’s neck as she comforted him. “I know sweetheart. I’m not saying you did anything wrong, it’s just that I’m worried on what may happen if Steelbolt holds on to that hope on a future that may be too far out of reach.”

They sat together on the couch as they leaned against each other for a few minutes when they were startled by the sound of small hoof steps. They turned to look over the couch and to their surprise was their little colt Steelbolt walking towards them from his hiding spot around the corner of the entrance to the living room. Nightingale got off the couch, stood up then walked towards the colt and asked him, “Steelbolt, why are you up? You still have school tomorrow you need your sleep.”

The little colt rubbed his sleepy eyes as he replied back, “Sorry mom, it’s just that, like Dad, I’m a light sleeper and I overheared the two of you arguing so I came out of my room to learn what you were talking about. When I heard that you were talking about me, I got scared but I did not want you to see me with you both so angry at each other. So I just hid behind a corner and waited until you stopped fighting.”

Paragrim was now off the couch as well and kneeled down and brought his head level to his son’s. “Don’t worry about it son. Your mother and I are just worried about you and were unsure that what I told you would become nothing more than a foal’s dream.” Paragrim said as he tried to comfort his son.

Steelbolt then surprisingly brought his head under his father’s neck and started to rub against it. “It’s okay Dad.” Steelbolt said with a smile, “When you told me that I may be able to fly in the future I already decided that I was going to make it a reality.” A surprised look appeared on both his parents face as they were not expecting this. “It is a future I want to see for myself and to make it happen I know I must take part of it.” Steelbolt said as moved over to his mother and leaned up against her leg like some kind of cat.

Both of the adult ponies looked at each other and smiled. That smile had always had a single meaning between the two. No matter the situation when those two give each other that one smile it meant that they knew what the other was thinking. This time the shared thought was, “It seems that we may have very little to worry about from here on.” After Steelbolt was tucked back into his bed, his parents began to walk to their own room while their wings were folded over each other’s and their tails intertwined. “That colt may have a bright future ahead of him” Nightingale said as she smiled at her husband.

“Yes indeed honey.” Paragrim answered back. “Who knows, maybe in another six thousand years they will tell mythology starring him.” Both ponies laughed as they walked into their own bedroom, knowing that perhaps things will get better for all of them.

Author's Note:

The talk Paragrim’s lecture on the origins of Mythology is based off my own opinions that mythology can be history that has become obscured or changed over the ages.

The novel that Nightingale was reading was a reference to Pen Stroke’s “Winter Bells” as in PS’s universe Twilight Velvet writes adult mystery novels which seem a better book genre for Nightingale to read than adventure novels which she writes as well according to the mobile game character info.