• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 933 Views, 20 Comments

The Light Side of the Moon - Black sun and white mist



Cheese Sandwich captures corrupted Pinkie Pie in an Alternate Universe ruled by Nightmare Moon in an attempt to find his purpose in life again.

  • ...
7
 20
 933

Prologue

One year ago...

Nightmare Moon wasn't having the best night. Celestia had been easy to defeat. Too bad that wasn't so for a purple unicorn and her five friends. When they had arrived at the castle, Nightmare took the elements. That dumb purple unicorn followed Nightmare and tried to ignite the elements with the so called 'spark.' When that didn't work, Nightmare smashed the element orbs to pieces. Then the purple unicorn's friends came and suddenly the elements appeared on their necks; the purple one had a crown surrounding hers. Right now, the ponies seemed to be floating in air. A big smile formed on the purple unicorn's face and her eyes were glowing a bright white light.

Nightmare started to growl but was cut short when a menacing rainbow came up from the six new bearers and struck down Nightmare Moon. Nightmare screamed. Pain flowed throughout her alicorn body. Tears came rolling down Nightmare's face as she began to realize she was being forced out of her body. She wept in the few seconds she had left but then something happened. Nightmare didn't feel pain anymore. It was replaced by a warm feeling inside her. Suddenly she felt like she could stand up to anything in the world and win.

Nightmare Moon pushed the rainbow back as far as she could. The bearers had shock all over their faces. Even the purple one seemed confused. Nightmare Moon could see a mix of doubt on their faces. Nightmare Moon sent them a menacing smile. Perfect. She gave the rainbow one last push. The rainbow seemed to have bounced off Nightmare and took on a black coloring. The elements gasped before the dark rainbow hit them. Screams of agony and Nightmare's fit of laughter was all that could be heard.

The bearers fell to ground with a loud thump. Nightmare Moon walked over to the bodies. She poked the white one with her hoof and grinned. She had won! The black alicorn bounced around the room like an excited filly before she saw something that shocked her. The bodies of the element bearers were standing. Shock was replaced by fear as Nightmare took a step back from the elements.

All at once, the bearers raised their heads. They opened their eyes and Nightmare Moon saw something she hadn't seen before. All the bearers had irises like hers (except for the color). Five of the elements had their Element of Harmony embedded in their chests. Except the purple one. Her crown-thingy seemed to have melted onto her head. They all wore the same manic grin on their faces. Nightmare turned around immediately to escape. She spread her wings, but before she took to the sky, she heard a voice from behind her.

"Where are you going our queen?" the voice asked. Nightmare moved her head around to see who had said that. The voice came from the purple ringleader.

"What?" Nightmare growled folding her wings.

"Don't leave us," the yellow one pleaded. "Why would you leave your children?"

"Children?" Nightmare asked curiously.

"You made us in your image," the orange one with the stetson declared. "But we will never be as great as you." Now Nightmare Moon was scared. They were tricking her, right? A blue aura surrounded her horn and the bearers. She picked them up in her magic but they didn't protest. In fact, they looked almost comforted. Nightmare cast a truth spell on the ponies. This spell only worked for yes and no questions. She could only use one question so she had to make it worth it. Nightmare thought for a moment and asked her one question.

"Are you telling the truth?" Nightmare asked using her most queen-like voice. It was a simple question but it always worked.

"Yes," all six of them responded. Nightmare blinked. Surely they were lying but the truth spell always worked. That meant they were telling the truth. Nightmare grinned. She kept them in her aura and took to the sky. This was going to be fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheese Sandwich was in Canterlot throwing the best Summer Sun Celebration he'd ever thrown. Granted, it was the only one but it was still supertastic! Cheese looked at the clock. Only one minute 'till the sun rose. It's showtime. Cheese stepped up to the stage (which he had miraculously built in little time) with Boneless the rubber chicken.

"All right every pony!" Cheese said into his microphone. "It's almost time for our good Princess Celestia to lower the moon and bring up the summer sun!" Everypony cheered. "Let's start counting down!"

"5, 4, 3, 2 ,1," every pony cheered. "Yay!" Cheese turned around to look at the sun but it wasn't up yet. Maybe he had gotten the time wrong. He looked at his wristwatch. It was exactly the time for the sun to be up. Maybe the Princess was late? Was this planned? Cheese turned to the large crowd behind him. They stood silently with their jaws down. Even the royal guards that watched over the party were shocked. Cheese knew that this couldn't be a plan. Cheese stood there looking up at the sky and waited. The crowd did too. They stood there for what seemed like hours.

Eventually, Cheese Sandwich told everybody to go home. He hated to end a party but this was one of those rare times when he had to. All the guests left still in shock. After they left, the tall stallion looked at his wristwatch. It had been a hour since the sun was supposed to come up. Cheese began to worry and, by the looks of it, the guards were too. His Cheesy Sense was picking up a lot and he could feel tons of magic coming from the Everfree forest. To ward off the horrible feeling of sadness, worry, and magical overload, he began to clean up his party. The remaining guards joined in. Cheese took one last look at the dark sky only to find a figure in the distance coming at him fast. He squinted but didn't really need to because the figure knocked right into him seconds later.

The guards ran over to help him and the stranger up. Cheese rubbed his head and opened his eyes. He found a beaten up royal guard when he opened them. The guard was burned and, by the looks of it, tired. Cheese jumped up and walked over to the pegasus royal guard.

"Nightmare… stop… eternal night!" the guard huffed before slipping into the embrace of unconsciousness. Cheese turned his head to one side confused. Nightmare? Eternal night? What? Suddenly, a cackle filled the air. A tall alicorn clad in armor stood on one of the balconies of Canterlot castle. Cheese knew who it was from the fairytales he had heard as a young colt. It was the Mare in the Moon, Nightmare Moon. This wasn't possible! Thinks the stallion who could pull anything just from the air his mind thought.

"Listen here you foals," Nightmare Moon announced. "I am your new queen and you will bow down to me or there will be consequences."

"Like what?" Cheese thought out loud. He immediately covered his mouth but the damage was already done. Cheese Sandwich tried to run away but was picked up in the tyrant's aura. He struggled for a moment until he was face to face with the Queen of Nightmares. Cheese's eyes spotted something behind her or rather six somethings. Two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies stood behind Nightmare Moon. They were smiling like a party was going on and all their eyes were slits like Nightmare Moon's. Nightmare turned his head back to face her. He heard a loud crack in his neck and pain immediately started.

"What's your name?" the nightmare demanded.

"Cheese Sandwich," he managed to squeak out.

"What a strange name," Nightmare commented. "You must be bullied a lot." Sometimes that was true but Cheese didn't want any pony to know that.

"No," he lied. Nightmare narrowed her eyes. She obviously saw through his poor lie.

"What a pathetic little lie," Nightmare growled. "No pony lies to me!" Cheese felt a spell being cast upon him.

"Did you get bullied?" she asked once again. Cheese couldn't help but tell her the truth.

"I get bullied a lot," he told her. His eyes widened. Why had he said that? Nightmare smiled. She used the most advanced truth spell she knew on this one because the situation called for it.

"What are the things you love most?" she asked finally.

"Parties and my rubber chicken Boneless," Cheese responded pointing to the rubber chicken on his back. Nightmare shot a spell at Boneless and he instantly disintegrated.

"NO!" Cheese cried in pain. Tears fell from his eyes.

"You want more you say?" Nightmare taunted. "I'll give you more. Parties are now and forever forbidden and anyone who disobeys this law will meet the same fate as his little chicken friend." Nightmare Moon put Cheese down. He was shivering and he had a look of pure fear and pain in his eyes. The Canterlot ponies looked on in horror. That alicorn was the real deal.

"Be gone!" Nightmare said with a wave from her hoof. All the Canterlot residents ran to their homes and the remaining ponies (namely tourists) were arrested by Nightmare's six cohorts. All except for Cheese Sandwich. They left him shivering on the ground crying. This was the beginning of the end.

Author's Note:

Constructive criticism is welcomed (no cursing please). I'm quite new to writing MLP stories on this website or any website for that matter. I hope you'll stay with me throughout the course of this story. Enjoy!