• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 5,725 Views, 208 Comments

Visiting Chaos - Ink Well Inks Well



Pinkie Pie can't stand to see anyone lonely- not even the lord of chaos himself.

  • ...
3
 208
 5,725

And Screwball Makes Three

To the spirit's great surprise, Pinkie was back within nine days this time. He had started to panic, in all honesty, but to his delight, not only did Pinkie come back, but a smaller mare was hopping behind her, beaming.

“Daddy!”

Hello there, my little monster!

Pinkie Pie bounced over to the statue, watching as the foal giggled and jumped onto the statue’s pedestal. “I convinced the Princess to let her visit! Sorry it took so long. She can’t visit by herself like I can, but I figured this was better than nothing, right?”

Screwball nodded happily and climbed up on her father, so she was between his horns, snuggled next to Bananas. “I’m living in a bakery now, Daddy- it smells like candy all the time, it’s great! Pinkie’s been taking care of me, back in Ponyville. Nopony there knows you’re my daddy, ‘cause Auntie Lulu says that would cause ‘widespread panic’ or something. She’s nice, and she says I can call her Auntie! Celestia says I can call her it too, but she doesn’t like it as much.”

Good old Lulu. Well, I can’t say I’m surprised about Celestia, but one out of two ain’t bad!

Screwball, however, was still talking, “Let’s see, what else... Oh, I started going to school! I’m kinda big for the class, but there are these three fillies I talk to. They let you out last time, remember? I thanked ‘em for it, but they didn’t smile or anything, they looked like they felt bad, which I don’t get. They’re really nice, though, and lotsa fun! You’d like ‘em- they get in a lot of trouble! Like me! I got in trouble yesterday, Daddy, ‘cause they were teaching us all about the history of Equestria and they got it all wrong! They said you had done some really evil things and I know you didn’t, you were just making the world better, so I was trying to set them straight, but the teacher got annoyed with me, and these two mean girls were laughing, and...”

She trailed off and frowned, looking at Pinkie. “Why isn’t Daddy talking back?”

Pinkie sighed. “He can’t, he can only talk to the Princesses... maybe he’ll write you a note before we leave, though, he’s done that before!”

The filly’s face screwed up. “But I’m a princess! If Daddy’s the king of chaos, aren’t I the princess?”

Of course you are.

Pinkie put a hoof to her chin. “Well, I’d think so, but I don’t think it was for all princesses, just Luna and Celestia.”

“That’s dumb.”

I couldn’t agree more.

Pinkie nodded. “Yeah- I mean, everyone should get to talk! I can’t imagine not talking!”

“And Daddy loves to talk! It’s gotta be really hard for him!” then Screwball giggled. “Sometimes he talks too much! Just goes on and on...”

“Oooh, I do that too! When I used to do that on the rock farm, Pa would give me peanut butter to glue my mouth shut! It was really tasty, though, so sometimes I used to talk a lot just so I could get some!”

“Daddy did that to me, too, ‘cept he used taffy!”

Taffy!? No fair, that’s waaaaay better! Especially since Pa never realized that peanut butter’s like ten zillion times better with chocolate! He never even put in a single chip!”

Screwball’s eyes went wide and she shuddered, taking her beanie off as a sign of respect for all the spoonfuls of peanut butter who never found their chocolate soulmates. “A true travesty.”

Pinkie nodded solemnly, shedding a tear. “Finally, somepony who understands.”

Discord watched his daughter and the other pink mare bounce off each other, discussions ranging from candy to parties to school- he was finding simple school lessons interesting, Celestia help him...

Midway through the conversation, though, he started to feel a bit left out.

Hello? Weren’t you here to talk to me?

“... and everypony was screaming, and I didn’t get it at all!”

“Yeah, ponies are silly,” Pinkie snorted.

“But not in a good way,” Screwball pouted.

“Aw, well, I dunno about that! Ponies can be real fun when they wanna be! Like one time...”

Really, now. It was nice to see them getting along, but it was unfair of them not to even attempt to involve him in conversation.

So distracted was he in childish self-pity, that he almost missed his daughter’s next comment.

The key word was almost.

“I guess you’re right, Mommy!”

...

What. Discord’s “heart” nearly stopped and he looked at his spawn in something akin to horror.

To Pinkie Pie’s credit, she seemed more than just a bit off-put by this comment. “What?”

“What?” Screwball smiled, looking at her in interest.

“I- I’m not your mommy, you silly filly!”

Screwball cocked her head to the side. “You’re not?”

“No, of course not!” Pinkie said, still a bit confused, but cheerful as ever.

“But...” Discord could physically see the gears on his little girl’s head turning. “But you’re taking care of me!”

“Yeah, but-”

“And we both have pink coats!”

“I guess we do, but-”

“And your mane’s all curly like mine! I look even more like you then I look like Daddy!” she nodded, the logic solid in her mind.

Pinkie giggled. “You do, don’t you?”

Actually, now that he thought about it, his little terror did have quite a resemblance to Pinkie.

Strange. Although, he supposed, it makes sense that the ponyification of chaos is a mix between me and Pinkie. Who else could it be?

“But we’ve only known each other for a little more’n a week! A little soon to be calling me mommy, isn’t it?” she looked a bit nervous, but giggled all the same.

“But I only knew Daddy for two days! Or twenty three and a half- if you count how many times Daddy witched the moon and sun out. But if I called him Daddy after that long, why can’t I call you Mommy?”

Yes, but... but that was different! Pinkie, tell her it was different!

“Hmmm....” Pinkie put a hoof to her chin in contemplation- something she seemed to do quite a bit, now that he thought about it. Then she brightened. “I guess that makes sense!”

Celestia and Luna damn you, Pinkie Pie.

The propeller on Screwy’s hat buzzed, and she started to hover with excitement. “Really?!”

“Well, yeah! I mean, I’m not really your mommy, but...” she shrugged. “I’m super responsible! If I can take care of a pair of babies, I can take care of a filly!”

Pinkamena Diane Pie, what are you DOING?

“Yay!” Screwball hoof-pumped. “Did you hear that. Daddy?!”

... Yes, I heard. Had the two mares been able to hear him, they would have discovered that his response was hoarse and cracked, and more than a little confused.

“I mean, you already live in the bakery, so it shouldn’t be too hard to set everything up!”

Did- did I just witness an adoption?

“Oh, y’wanna change your last name to Pie? I’ll bet you could do that!”

Do I get a say in this?

“Yeah! Screwball Pie!” she giggled. “That sounds funny!”

Do I have to pay child support now?

“I like it though!” Pinkie giggled. “Oooh, I always wanted a foal! It seemed like so much fun. A lotta hard work, too, but I think I’m up to it.” she nodded, completely assured with herself.

Okay, Discord couldn’t handle this anymore. He started writing- mad, feverish scribbles. What was he saying? Oh, he didn’t know, and he didn’t care. Finally, he scratched out sentences that didn’t make sense, even to him, more unsavory words, paragraphs in long-dead languages and indecipherable codes, and a few doodles he didn’t even remember drawing.

All that remained was a simple- ARE. YOU. INSANE???

Screwball and Pinkie scanned the note, looked at each other, and both nodded.

“Yep!” Pinkie laughed.

Screwball nodded, grinning. “Ain’cha proud?”

In any case, he would be. Extremely proud- of both of them, actually. Any form of chaos, even a spur of the moment adoption, would normally fill him with happiness and amusement.

But this? Well... not so much.

Genuine concern filled him for both ponies. If anypony could take care of Screwball, it was Pinkie Pie, but...

He was pretty sure that not even Pinkie could deal with Screwball.

She was basically a toned down version of him, after all.

“Oh! I dunno if you can have your own room, there’s not a lotta extra room in the bakery, but we can split my room in half! You can decorate it however you want!”

“Can I have a hot-chocolate waterbed hammock and marshmallow pillows?”

Pinkie’s eyes widened.

Here it comes. He hoped Screwball would take her ideas being rejected well. From experience, he guessed that would happen quite a lot.

“Of course! I mean, only if I can have one too! Oooh, and what about lickable wallpaper!?”

Discord raised a brow. Well, what d’you know?

“And a disco ball lamp!”

“And trampoline floorboards!”

“And doorknobs made of Snozzberries!” they said together, before collapsing into a fit of giggles.

Discord smiled a bit, surprised. Although, he supposed he really shouldn’t be too shocked. Pinkie had a sweet tooth after all, and enough of a sense of fun that perhaps Screwball wouldn’t be too much of a handful.

Er, hoof-full.

The filly grinned, looking at the sky. “Look, the moon’s coming up!”

“Oh my gosh, already?” the pony looked at the moon, eyes wide. “We gotta go! I gotta get up early to start a batch of cupcakes, and you have school tomorrow! If I’m gonna take care of you, I better start off on the right hoof!”

The littler pony laughed, her eyes swirling. “I guess you’re right!” she looked back at her dad. “Bye, Daddy! We’ll be back soon!” She hopped off of her dad’s head, landing on Pinkie with a loud thump!

Pinkie wobbled back to her feet, beaming. “Yeah, see you Dissy!” She started to bounce away, no slower than usual despite the weight on her back. She was almost out of sight and earshot when suddenly-

“Maybe when Daddy’s free, you two can get married!”

Pinkie stopped mid-bounce, hanging in midair for a few seconds, before falling comically. She looked back at Discord, as if he had something to do with it.

Inside his statue, he was just as confused and flustered as she was, and gave her a little shrug and said, What? She’s your kid now, too, apparently.

Although she couldn’t hear him, she continued to stare at him, and he glared right back.

This is your fault, Pinkie. I blame your influence entirely.

She looked at him a bit longer, an expression on her face he couldn't decipher, then shrugged, a smile right back on her face. “Well, I dunno, Screwy! I guess we’d have to ask your daddy about that one!” and trotted off, not looking back once.

Once Discord had picked his jaw up off the floor, he blinked once. Twice. Then he curled up in his endless subconscious, puzzling over the strange, gooey feeling in his chest.

He had finally done it.

He had finally found the one pony in all of Equestria who made even less sense than he did.

And he had absolutely no idea how to feel about it.

Author's Note:

Ha ha, the chapter name's a bit of a tease, huh? I just liked the way it sounded.
Anyway, Doscord should be free within the next few chapters, so we have that to look forward to!
I know Screwball's sudden acceptance of Pinkie may seem a bit... well, like I said, sudden, but if Screwy can be that devoted to "Daddy Discord" when she spent, at max, two days with him (because, really, his rule can't have been much longer than that,) just imagine how attached she'd get to somepony in nine days.
And Pinkie's sudden, "Well, okay, why not?" is because of her impulsiveness, and her desire to prove just how responsible she is. (Plus, she likes kids.)
So, yeah!
Oh, and for the purposes of this story, Screwball's gonna be aged down a bit- so her appearance is somewhere between the age of the CMC and Rainbow Dash, who I headcannon as the youngest of the mane six.
So maybe twelve-ish?
I dunno. Puberty's a pretty crazy time, if I wanted to make an incarnation of insanity and despair, I'd definitely make her a pre-teen.
As always, I'd love to hear what you think!