• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 3,816 Views, 145 Comments

First Steps - Steel Resolve



After a long and depressing summer in Baltimare, Rarity returns home. Heartbroken, she looks forward to seeing her dear friend. If anypony can cheer her up, it's Pinkie.

  • ...
29
 145
 3,816

Step Two: Mislaid Missive

Rarity had spent the afternoon going over some recent mail. It seemed some of her mail was still being rerouted to Baltimare, then Canterlot, since she'd told the mail service she would be in residence with production company there. She found a particular bulging envelope that gave her pause.

October 10th

From the Office of Break A. Leg

Head Producer of Starshine Productions

To: Rarity

Re: Mislaid Letter

Hey kid! Kinda awkward but uh... I ended up with a letter in my inbox amongst the stacks of bills and I opened it with the rest. Listen, was this what had you so down? I mean c'mon kiddo, you really don't need to sweat it. So the mare wasn't into you, no need to murder your liver over it.

Any-who, I thought I'd drop you a line and forward this along with it. We opened up with the new play you mentioned, and you were right, Canterlot loved it. Though I can't help but think you might be a bit biased about the name. 'Measure for Measure' wasn't exactly the best comedy the old bard wrote.

I hope you're doing okay, kid. Mare trouble can seem like the end of the world, but it's really not. Just keep in mind, you're a trooper, and troopers don't quit. The world is full of hecklers, but you're a star, baby.

Hit me up if you want work again, the new guy is okay but he just doesn't have your charisma, the whole crew misses you.

Break A. Leg

September 10, 2013

Dear Rarity,

I’m scared.

I always have been scared.

I’m scared of dragons. I’m scared of shadows. I’ve been scared of what I don’t know since I was just a little pony, since I was born. I cannot help it. It is in my nature. I see something that scares me and I hide away from it because...

Oh, nothing. It isn’t important.

Rarity, I want to admit something to you. I’m very scared to do it, but I feel it needs to be done. You see, of all the things that scare me, I guess there is one thing now that scares me more than all of the other frightening things in the world combined.

I don’t really think I have to explain myself, do I? You understand, oh don’t you?

Rarity,

I love you.

I haven’t written to any of the girls in a long time. I haven’t received any letters from them either. The only ones I’ve received since that time are the ones you’ve sent me. I think I’ve cried a little bit after reading through every one. No... I’ll be honest; I’ve cried a lot. I know that you love me, Rarity. I know that you love me so, so much, and I want to tell you what you want to hear... but...

Rarity,

I love you,

but not like how you love me.

And do you know what scares me most? Do you know what I am most afraid of? I didn’t think I had to explain myself, but... oh, maybe I do. What scares me the most is...

is...

Losing.

Losing all of you.

And I couldn’t bring myself to hurt you. But, in the end, I really hurt you, didn’t I? Didn’t I, Rarity? You say that you are still my friend, but...

I’m sorry, Rarity.

I’m so, so very sorry.

- With so, so very much love,

Fluttershy

(P.S. I’m sorry about that offer for tea. I would have most definitely come, if I had not been so scared. If... if I had even loved you like a friend should love you...)

Several minutes later, Pinkie found her collapsed on her chaise lounge.

Author's Note:

This is not the full chapter. That will be published shortly. This is just to give people context on the next chapter, since not all of you follow the letter writing group that this story is technically a continuation of.