• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 1,291 Views, 116 Comments

The Jokes On Us - Twisted Visions



Three weeks... Three weeks since everything went to hell. Ponies turned on each other without thinking and before everyone knew it Canterlot was in ruins...

  • ...
18
 116
 1,291

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I'm honestly surprised this story got so many views right off the get go! It took my last story months to get anywhere like this!

Anyway, I noticed that the difference of hate to like were 0-3. If at all possible could you guys tell me why you hit that thumbs down button? It's fine if you don't want too, but the feedback would be rather nice.

As for those of you who have thumbs up'd and comment, I am glad you enjoyed the prologue and I hope you enjoy this chapter as well. My only goal for this story is to complete a half decent story. My last few either I lost sight of, or I never even bothered finishing the first chapter. Not a strong track record for sure, but I see that and I want to change this time!

Whether you like it or not though, thank you for continuing to read, and I hope some of your views start to change as the story progresses.

Three weeks. Three weeks since things started to go down hill in all the worst ways. After Celestia fell, others followed and the population was dropping like flies. Luna, Cadence, and even the elements fell to the wrath of what everypony called "The infection" from what he heard. No one knew what it was, or where it came from. All they knew was that it was deadly, and to be found by those who were infected was everything but a guaranteed, and horrible death.

It was night, and light breathing could be heard from inside one of the buildings. Quill, a light brown pony with a short brown mane sat in an old shop. Like many others, he was displaced when the Royal Guard tried to evacuate the city. Everything was already falling apart and that was only the beginning. Mistake after mistake was made, and in a last ditch effort the Royal Guard sacrificed the Citizens of Canterlot at the order of the remaining nobles. Those citizens who were still alive were trapped in Canterlot, and there was starting to be fewer and fewer safe places to stay. Quill hadn't seen another pony in a long time, and he was starting to think he was the only one left. His only hope was to keep on ticking till maybe, he was saved.

Quill shook his head. He was tired but it was time to move. He slowly got up and looked outside cautiously, taking in the sights of the city. It was beautiful, in that morbid kind of way. The city for the most part was untouched, and still held the Canterlot Grandeur. Plants however, had started to grow through the city taking it over and giving the city a natural touch. Right now it looks as if many of the buildings had ivy across the front of them, but during the day they exploded with brightly colored blossoms. It was a beautiful sight to see, but going near these houses was a death sentence.

Those who had been infected seemed to gather in buildings when these plant over run them. It was as if they were gathering points, and honestly, Quill was thankful for the warning. He barley made it out alive the first time he stumbled into one of these buildings, and if it weren't for the fact that they seemed to get weaker at night, he wouldn't be in here right now.

He walked down the street, keeping to the sides and trying to stay out of the light when he was able. He could hear heavy breathing from inside of some of the buildings that were filled with the infected. He passed by them without any real issue. Night time was safe time as he always told himself, and for the most part that remained true. He would stop into the occasional store or house and look around for anything useful that he could carry. Food, water, blankets. He never bothered with weapons, because to be fair, he knew he would probably never have the "balls" to use one. He had a knife yes, but it was for utility more than defense and if he ever had to use one, he knew he was already dead.

The night remained quiet, and he continued his little rounds through the city to find anything useful, or a safe place to sleep. The sun should be coming up in an hour or so, but since the fall of the princesses, there really was no point in trying to make any sense of it. That was the biggest hit to him though. If the princesses had fallen victim to this, then why didn't he? Why was he alive out of everyone who had died? That was the problem with being alone... You had way to much time to think.

His thinking however was cut off by a loud scream. He froze, looking around and trying to listen for any clues as to where it came from. The infected sometimes screamed in anguish, and he had seen one crying once or twice but every time he tried to see if he could help they attacked him. So he stopped seeing if he could help... This time was different though. This was a scream of terror.

Before he could do anything, he saw a white mare run around a corner as if Cerberus was on her heels. It didn't take him long to find out why she was running though. Three ponies who seemed to be glowing came screaming around the corner. He couldn't believe it... They acted like infected, they looked like infected... but he had never seen infected move like that during the night! He remained frozen watching the scene play out before him.

The mare tried... Oh how she tried, but her thin legs just weren't cut out for this. He had never actually seen this happen before and in some sick way, wanted to know what they did when they caught someone. He had heard the screams and knew they killed people, but never knew how they killed them or why. He watched... watched as the mare fell and the three others caught up to her. Even from where he stood he could hear it.

He regretted staying to watch, but his feet were frozen in place. He didn't have a good view of the mare, but he could see the three glowing ponies. They tore, beat, and bit the mare like animals. The wet sound of tearing flesh and the pops of broken bones made a symphony with her dying screams. It... it was a blood bath and he knew there was nothing he could do to help... Nothing anyone could do to help. His stomach turned tricks inside him, and he felt as if everything he had eaten that night was trying to escape from him all at once. After what seemed like years though... it was over.

He remained planted where he was and watched still. If those things turned on him, he didn't think he would be able to even think of moving his legs, let alone run but he was lucky. After a little while, they turned and started to walk up the street, and away from him. He was finally able to let out a sigh of relief, and to tell the truth he didn't even realize he was holding his breath. He slowly walked towards where the mare had been, being cautious with every step. He didn't know why he wanted to see the after math, but he didn't know a lot of things. He just inched over till he could see the mare... Or what was left of her.

To say the scene was bad would be like cyanide might make you a little sick. The mare was missing an arm, her horn was broken, and her chest was ripped open in some kind of macabre display of power on the infecteds part. The parts of her that were missing though weren't too far away from the body, and how they were removed was quite obvious. This mare had litterally been ripped apart while she was alive!

Quill staggered at the sight of it all. He tried to imagine what that must have been like, and when he remembered her screams his stomach voided itself. He fell to his knees, holding himself up with on of his arms and threw up. Could you really blame him? He felt pathetic already and this just sealed the deal for him. He was a coward! He could have done something! He could have caught their attention and used the distance between him and the creatures to get away! Threw a rock or yelled something! Even if they stayed focused on her at least he could say he tried!

He wasn't given long to beat himself up though. From down the street he heard an very angry growl, and slowly rose to his feet. not thirty or so yards away from him was one of the creatures, still covered in the mares blood and staring at him. It was odd how he felt about the situation. There was one of the things that killed the moor mare at his feet, and he was having a staring contest with it? May be it would leave him alone? It got it's fun from her and would leave him alone! Nope, not going to happen.

In that one moment, Quill truly knew what it was like to be a cockroach. Before he even knew it, his legs were carrying him down the road as fast as they could carry him, and that thing was right behind him. By Celestia these things were fast! Quill couldn't think, he just ran and ran, till he saw an open door. No plants that he could see, so in he dived! He kept running once her got up, bolting up the stairs and into a bedroom. He didn't even realize that he was in a house! He sat against the door, praying to what ever god may hear his prayer for his life to continue. His heart was beating so hard that he could feel it in his throat trying to choke him and it drowned out most everything but the creature outside.

His breathing slowed after he heard the thing walk back down the stairs. He was alive... It didn't come after him despite the fact that all there was between him and it was a door. He heard it search the house, but why didn't it search this room? He didn't care to be honest, he was alive and that meant he had the chance to escape this damn city,

Once he had relaxed as much as he could he stood up and looked around. It was a bedroom, had a bed, a table. Normal things like that in it, but when he took a moment, he could hear a few quiet raggedy, stuttered breaths. He pulled his knife out and looked around, trying to look threatening. "Wh-Who's there!" He whispered, looking around. His entire body shook as he waited for a response. "Please... Is there someone there... I - I won't hurt you..." He started till he heard shuffling under the bed.

Slowly, a small white coated girl with a pink and purple mane crawled out from under the bed looking at him. It was obvious she had been crying, and hadn't had a chance to get cleaned up in a while. Quill didn't know what to do. He put his knife away and slumped against the wall. A little girl... He had found a little girl. "What's you name?" He asked, staring at the floor.

The girl sniffled slightly. She kicked her feet against the ground and looked at the ground in much the same way. "Sweetie Belle... My name is Sweetie Belle Mister" She said looking at him. "H-Have you seen my sister... She told me to run in here, hide, and not come out til she came back for me" She said, starting to shiver.

Quill had a really bad feeling about this. "Wh-What... did she look like?" He asked, scared of what he was going to hear.

"White... With a dark purple mane" She said, looking at him with her big tearful eyes.

Quill didn't know what to do... Or what to say. All he could do was cry... And that's what he did.