• Published 10th Sep 2014
  • 336 Views, 0 Comments

The Last Sunset - sqarishoctagon



Set decades after the events of 'Things Better Left Unsaid', Captain Arrowhead tries to mend the growing rift between Celestia and Luna.

  • ...
 0
 336

Chapter 1

Captain Arrowhead stood silently at the entrance of the Grand Hall of the castle, watching as it slowly woke. Here and there, a few servants bustled about, either starting the day’s tasks assigned to them, or finishing for the night. As they passed him, they dipped their heads in respect, and continued on with their duties.

A section of Royal Guards who had just finished their shift wandered by, idly taking notice of their Captain. He let it slide for now. After all, today was to be a day of leisure. Though, how much of the day would actually be devoted to himself remained to be seen.

More and more, the castle began to stir, and the number ponies in the Grand Hall increased. Before long, the noise had built up to a comfortable conversational buzz that Arrowhead was quite familiar with.

He watched as a slight commotion disrupted the conversations in the hall, and leaned forward to see what it was. He could see the source immediately, emerging from one of the side corridors. Princess Luna appeared in the corridor, towering over her subjects. Her darkened mane sparkled with an unknown light, even in the brightness of the Hall.

The Hall paused for a moment, and parted around her, allowing the Princess space to move among the crowd. Silence weighed heavily upon the the room as she picked her way toward the overlooking balcony. The crowd waited until she had collapsed into a chair before daring to breathe. They then began to move about again, taking little further notice of the Princess.

A servant brought out what Arrowhead presumed to be breakfast for the Princess and laid it before her. He paused in his reflections, deciding that the meal that lay before the Princess was really her final meal of the day. Judging from her look of distaste, and the withering stare the servant received, Princess Luna was not at all pleased with the chef’s selection. The servant hastily retreated, leaving the Princess to take out her frustrations on whatever lay before her.

Now that she was seated, Arrowhead could get a better view of her. To his concern, she looked slightly disheveled. Her mane didn’t quite flow right, and there was patches of fur sticking out at odd angles around her coat. She didn’t look as if the night had treated her well.

Arrowhead decided not to dwell on it further. Instead, he began making his way toward her table. As with the Princess, the crowd gave him a wide berth, allowing him to quickly make his way below the balcony.

“Did you have a nice evening out, your highness?” he asked. Luna jumped, and looked around for the source of the voice. Upon seeing him, she relaxed.

“Should anypony else make such a jest, they would have regretted it,” she replied, frowning. Arrowhead smiled widely at Princess Luna. Soon, a smile broke across her features, all but erasing the night’s troubles.

Arrowhead gestured toward the empty chair across from Luna. “May I join you, your majesty?”

“Of course, Captain. Come.” Luna waved vaguely at the stairs, and Arrowhead began making his way up to her.

He approached the table to find Luna picking at the contents of her plate. Arrowhead smiled again.

“Hardly fit for a Princess, is it?”

“I raise and lower the moon daily, guard against the creatures of the night, and this is what I am fed?” She shoved the plate away, and folded her forelegs. “Mine kingdom doth not starve. Why should I?”

Arrowhead looked down at the source of Luna’s frustrations. Upon the plate lay several raw carrots and celery stalks. Off to the side, sat a goblet filled with what Arrowhead could only assume was water. Luna’s reaction upon taking a sip confirmed his suspicions.

“Allow me to rectify that, my lady.” With that, Arrowhead waved to one of the servants below.

Whatever task was at hoof would now be offset by the Captain’s request. The servant quickly made her way up to the balcony, and quickly curtsied in the presence of the Princess.

“How may I serve you, milord?” she asked, her eyes sliding away from Luna.

“I would like four loaves of bread, butter and jam to match, beans, some meal, stewed vegetables, the day’s pastries and a jug of milk,” Arrowhead listed, as if he’d rehearsed just for this moment.

The servant’s eyes widened at the list, but she bowed nonetheless. “At once, milord.” With that, she disappeared.

Luna’s eyes narrowed in disappointment. “Dost thou mock my predicament?”

“Hardly, milady,” replied Arrowhead, watching as the servant disappeared down a corridor. “The chef won’t argue if I decide to share.”

Luna paused, and nodded in agreement. “I thank you,” she said quietly.

The pair waited patiently for breakfast in an easy silence, watching below them as various ponies started their day. As they waited, the Princess absently chewed on a carrot, more out of boredom than hunger.

Eventually, the servant returned, flanked by two more, each carrying several plates. They carefully loaded the plates onto the table between the Princess and the Captain, and bid the pair farewell. Without a word, Arrowhead began dividing the small feast, with generous portions of food ladening the Princess’ half of the table.

Arrowhead watched in amusement as she devoured the meal in a most un-princess-like manner. As he began eating, he made careful note of what Luna ate, and what remained untouched. The Princesses often attributed their survival of the Royal Court to Arrowhead’s ability to smuggle in food for the pair, much to the disdain of the chefs and the servants.

She finally slowed enough to talk again, shifting several dirty plates off to the side. Wiping her mouth, Princess Luna looked across the table at Arrowhead, who was still eating.

“I understand today was to be a day of leisure for you, Captain.”

Arrowhead smiled into his goblet. “That remains to be seen, milady. Hopefully the Court Mage will be able to stay out of trouble this time ‘round…”

Luna’s gaze darkened for a second, then cleared. “He will be no trouble at all, Captain.”

“Is that so?” asked Arrowhead with surprise. “With respect, milady, how can you be so sure?”

“He hath been spending an increasing amount of time with mine sister,” Luna replied. Arrowhead had been around the princesses long enough to recognize the disdain in her voice, hidden or not. He glanced at her, briefly wondering where her words came from.

“I was with her yesterday,” stated Arrowhead. “And so were you.”

“Yes, I know. The festivities for tomorrow’s Summer Sun Celebration…” Luna looked down at her plate, chasing the remnants of a pastry around the rim. “Didst thou happen to see where she went afterward?”

“The festivities, of course.”

“Yes. After she had promised to attend them with me.”

Arrowhead frowned. “What do you mean, milady? She did attend the festivities with you, did she not?”

Luna sighed, and looked up at the Captain. “Yes, but Starswirl was there as well. I… retired early.”

The Captain knew this, of course. He did not know why, however, and was determined to find out. Arrowhead leaned back into his chair, carefully studying Princess Luna as she returned to the remnants of her meal. After a moment, he leaned forward again.

“Princess Celestia has a great interest in magic,” he began carefully. “Perhaps she thought you and Starswirl would share the same interest.”

Without warning, a snarl stained Luna’s features as she jumped forward at the Captain. “Or, perhaps she enjoys his company more than mine own!” she hissed.

It passed as quickly as it came, leaving Luna breathless and weak, leaning against the back of her chair. The murmur of the Grand Hall continued unchecked, unaware of the shadow that had crossed the room.

Captain Arrowhead was shocked into silence, dumbly grasping at her sudden fit of rage. Across from him, Luna sniffed, and wiped her eyes, unwilling to meet the Captain’s gaze.

“M– my apologies, Captain,” she whispered, almost inaudible against the background chatter. “I did not mean what I said, and thou didst not deserve to be treated as such.”

With that, she stood up, prompting Arrowhead to follow suit. “I– I would like to mend this with you,” she continued, “but I understand if there are other things you wish to attend to.”

“Not at all, milady,” replied Arrowhead. “When would you like to meet?”

Luna glanced at the large clock adorning the far side of the Hall. It read eight-thirty.

“Nine o’clock, in the gardens. Once again, I thank you.” She inclined her head, and Arrowhead bowed. She then disappeared down one of the many corridors, presumably back to her room.

Arrowhead looked down at the meal. Most of his own share remained, while Luna’s share had been consumed. Save for her original, meager breakfast, there was nothing remaining. A servant approached to clean up.

“Have you finished, milord?”

“Yes, yes,” he replied absently.

“You know, the chef shall hear about this…” The servant grumbled, clearly unaware that Arrowhead was still standing above him. A look from the Captain was all it took. “M– my apologies, sire. It is not my place.”

“No, it is not,” Arrowhead stated.

With that, Arrowhead strode away, leaving the servant to ponder his words. Today was not a day for the castle, Arrowhead decided. It was a day for the Princesses, specifically, the Princess of the Night.

~~~

To grow a beautiful, flourishing garden, one needed patience, perseverance, and a little bit of a green hoof to succeed. Growing a garden fit for a kingdom, however, required the experience of generations, and knowledge expansive enough to fill volumes. The Royal Gardeners provided just that, and more, to the castle’s luxurious green spaces.

Arrowhead watched absently as the Royal Gardener himself tended to a field of flowers, occasionally correcting his apprentice in the process. His apprentice, whom Arrowhead knew was his daughter, was having trouble with her own work. Nonetheless, she tried, and the pair worked together to clear the weeds.

They were smooth, repetitive actions, carried out each time by quick and experienced hooves. One set was old, withered by the sun and the soil. The other was young and inexperienced, yet to be tempered with time.

Unbeknownst to the Captain, the mare had paused her work, and was now looking back at him. Expressionless, he met her gaze, and inclined his head. The mare blushed furiously, ducking down to hide her expression. Arrowhead listened to an indistinct reprimand from her father as the pair resumed working.

“Captain!”

A harsh, clipped voice interrupted the Captain’s thoughts, and caused the gardeners to jump. Arrowhead looked around, and found himself staring at the bulging neck tendons of his oversized Lieutenant, Stonewall. The Captain took a moment to step back, putting a more reasonable space between himself and Stonewall. He also took the opportunity to gauge his Lieutenant.

“What is it?” Arrowhead asked pointedly. Stonewall was not known for his social etiquette.

“I am ready to begin leading the Royal Guard today, sir,” chanted Stonewall, still blindly focused on a point somewhere above Arrowhead’s mane. He cleared his throat, finally establishing eye contact with the Solar Lieutenant. “I will be conducting the standard drills with each and every rotation throughout the day.”

Arrowhead looked Stonewall up and down before replying. “And when will you inspect the Guard in the castle?”

“Afterwards, sir.”

“… And you interrupted my personal day to tell me what I already knew?” Asked the Captain, slowly.

His reply was unhesitant. “Yes, sir.”

There were many reasons why Arrowhead was opposed to allowing this particular pony to lead the Royal Guard for any amount of time. Critical thinking and acceptable social conduct were not this pony’s stronger points. The pair shared a glance for a moment longer than was socially acceptable, prompting Arrowhead to clear his throat once more. This seemed to return the Lieutenant to his former thoughts.

“I also come with a report, sir,” he added. Arrowhead took notice as his voice dropped in volume.

“Well?” asked Arrowhead, impatiently.

“It’s about the other Guards, sir,” whispered Stonewall. Arrowhead frowned, but remained quiet as he continued. “They’ve been conducting their drills at night.”

Arrowhead snorted. “Yes, because that is what I require them to do when not at their posts, just like the Solar Guard.”

“Indeed,” continued Stonewall, oblivious to both Arrowhead’s glare and sudden, growing headache. “But there are reports that Princess Luna herself has been joining in.”

“Lieutenant, have you ever been on the Lunar Guard?” Stonewall shook his head. “There isn’t anything to do. What did you expect her to do?”

The absurdness of his report had still not struck the Lieutenant yet, as he still continued. “There’s more, sir.”

“What?” Arrowhead clenched his jaw, trying to divert attention from his increasing headache.

“They’ve also been drilling during the day.”

Had Arrowhead been a lesser pony, Stonewall would have found himself hurled from the nearest balcony. Instead, he took a slow breath, careful to wipe any real emotion from his voice. It was not complete erasure.

“Because I expect them to be in top form in the event that they are needed,” he hissed. “Can you say the same of your own ponies, Lieutenant? Or shall I inspect the barracks once more?”

The insult had successfully sunk in, and had its intended effect. Stonewall stepped back, and swallowed in embarrassment. After a second, he ruffled his wings, and looked back at Arrowhead, who glared at him. He did not rise to the challenge. Instead, Stonewall further retreated away from the Captain, and dipped his head in respect.

“I just thought you ought to know, sir,” came the submissive reply.

“Dismissed,” spat Arrowhead, as he rubbed his forehead.

Stonewall sniffed, and protested. “But sir, I–”

“–Dismissed,” repeated the Captain, turning away.

“Yes, sir.” With that, Arrowhead was finally rid of his headache.

Thankfully, he spotted Princess Luna across the way, and began making his way toward her. She was dressed in an embroidered, cream-colored smock, and flanked on either side by a Lunar Guard, who each bowed as Arrowhead approached them.

“Captain,” the pair chanted, simultaneously. They saluted as one.

Arrowhead nodded to each pony in turn, relieving them. The pair then retreated without further discussion, leaving Arrowhead and Luna with the pair of gardeners.

Arrowhead inclined his head with in respect. “I appreciate your company today, milady.”

“Likewise,” replied Luna. “I thank you for accepting my proposal.” She still would not meet the Captain’s eyes.

Instead, she began walking, seemingly picking a direction to go at random. Arrowhead followed suit in silence, allowing the Princess to gather her thoughts. They wandered the garden quietly, taking in the new additions that were being added for tomorrow’s Celebration.

“She’s going to be the fourth-generation gardner in the castle,” Luna said suddenly.

Arrowhead was momentarily confused. “I’m sorry, milady?”

“Lily Petal.” Luna nodded toward the pair of gardeners in the corner, each diligently weeding out a section of the flowers. As one fumbled, the other gently corrected. Arrowhead followed her gaze, and watched as the two gardeners worked. He merely nodded.

“Much like you,” stated Luna, looking down at the Captain.

Arrowhead smiled at her. He knew that whatever a Princess needed to say, she would come around to it in her own way. While Princess Celestia was direct in her words and actions, Princess Luna often required a little encouragement, or in this case, somepony to humor her.

“Indeed,” he replied. “Both my sire and grandsire were Captains of the Royal Guard, as you no doubt remember.”

Luna nodded and began walking again, clearly deep in thought. It gave time for Arrowhead to completely gauge her appearance as he followed along. Though she was now thoroughly groomed, Luna still appeared unkempt, as if there was something constantly bothering her. Her fitted smock wasn’t fitted anymore, and it seemed as if her horseshoes were slightly too big. To his growing concern, she appeared gaunt, her form not quite filling her frame as he remembered. Nonetheless, Arrowhead stayed quiet, allowing her time to think.

“Dost thou remember stories of the Crystal Empire?” she asked suddenly.

“Of course. ‘tis all my grandsire spoke about,” replied Arrowhead.

Luna nodded slowly, and paused in her step. “Did he ever tell you what occurred in the throne room the day the Empire disappeared?”

“No, milady,” said Arrowhead, slowly. The Sisters rarely spoke of their magical confrontations, leaving their subjects to romanticize them instead. “I… I am not familiar with that.”

“Very well,” stated Luna. “I shall tell you.” With that, she began to speak, more than the Captain had ever heard her say before.

Arrowhead followed her aimless circuit around the gardens, listening intently, dissecting her story unconsciously. He frowned at Sombra’s quest for power, cringed as she was captured, and smiled as the the Royal Sisters prevailed. He was absorbed in her revelation of Sombra’s true powers. The ability to show ponies the future, true or not, was not an ability to be taken lightly.

Silence befell the garden as Luna finished her tale. A quick glance confirmed that the gardeners had kept their distance while Luna had recounted her story.

“That… That is quite a tale, milady,” started Arrowhead. “I do not believe I have heard that before.”

Luna nodded solemnly. “Nor shall I recount it again,” she stated simply.

Unconsciously, the pair had come to a stop near some benches, intended for the guests and residents of the Castle. Luna made herself comfortable on one, and bid Arrowhead to do the same on another.

“Dost thou seest now?” she asked slowly, firmly focused on the ground.

“Even if that were the case, milady, I hardly think there should be cause for worry,” replied Arrowhead, carefully selecting his words. Luna looked up at him, frowning.

“And why might that be?”

“Simply because of the deceptive nature you described Sombra as having,” said Arrowhead. “It appears to me that he tried to turn you against your sister. Somewhat successfully, if I may be so bold in adding.”

Arrowhead’s stomach immediately churned at his suggestion, fearing her reaction. Luna was about to remind the Captain of his place when she paused in her thoughts. Ashamed, she looked down again, sighing.

“I must admit, Captain, that thou may be right,” she replied. “But what of the other visions? The… Nightmares?” Luna flinched at the word, but it was unnoticed by Arrowhead.

Before replying, Arrowhead swallowed, buying himself some time before speaking once more. He was well out of his element now, as nothing in his training, teachings, or experiences could have prepared him to give advice to his own Princess.

“Perhaps they are just that?” he said finally. “Another mere shadow of the night?”

Luna clenched her jaw, clearly shuffling through a list of responses. She found none that could refute the Captain.

“Then what am I to do?” she asked, desperation inching into her voice. “Why is this happening?”

Arrowhead was momentarily taken aback, but realized what she was referring to.

“Milady, perhaps I am not the pony you should be speaking to,” he admitted. Luna’s expression hardened as she realized where he was headed, but she allowed Arrowhead to speak his part.

“It is clear that this remains something beyond even your control,” the Captain continued. “The Court Mage is an expert in magic. If not your sister, then perhaps he may be able to help?”

Luna snorted in frustration, and looked away from the Captain. Clearly, she was unsatisfied with his answer, but Arrowhead continued anyway.

“You must have realized that you cannot handle this on your own–”

“–I must!” Luna snapped suddenly.

Arrowhead jumped, but continued nonetheless. “Why, then?”

“Because,” she stated, biting every word, “mine Sister doth not care what happens to the night… She thinks everything is fine!”

“Milady, she behaves as such because you have fooled her into thinking this!” A heavy silence fell upon the garden as Arrowhead found himself nearly shouting at the Princess.

Furious, Luna jumped up from her place, and growled into the Captain’s face. He was ready this time, and did not flinch. Another time, and the Captain would have found himself subject to serious retaliation for his actions. Now, however, his defiance was needed.

“Look at yourself,” he growled, matching Luna’s stare. “You are not behaving like the Princess my sires once proudly served. What has happened to you?”

A breathless moment passed, with both sides tensed. Luna was the first to relax, a sigh seemingly releasing all her energy. A faint argument could be heard from the gardens proper, ignored by either pony. Soon, Arrowhead did likewise. Blinking back tears, Luna slumped into her seat once more.

“What am I to do?” she pleaded softly, fighting her tears. Luna opened her eyes, and looked over to her Captain. “Where am I to start?”

Arrowhead’s gaze softened at the sight. He too, felt ashamed, but knew now was not the time to admit it.

“You must address this with your sister,” he concluded. “Drag this demon into sight, for all to look upon. Then, and only then, may we be able to banish it.”

Luna looked down at her hooves, tears streaming unchecked down her face. She swallowed against them, and nodded. Arrowhead fished out a small kerchief from his tunic, and handed it to her. She dabbed her eyes dry, and returned it.

“Thank you,” she whispered, her throat dry. “I… I will speak with mine sister, and we shall see.”

Arrowhead only nodded in response, and sat quietly, allowing the Princess to compose herself. Satisfied, he retrieved a servant’s bell from a hidden compartment in the sitting area, and rang it. Before long, the same servant who had supplied Luna’s meager breakfast arrived, ready to do his bidding.

“What do you require, milord?” he asked smoothly, somehow missing Princess Luna.

“We will be taking lunch here,” informed Arrowhead. The servant nodded, seeming to avoid Luna’s gaze when possible. Naturally, Luna was upset, prompting Arrowhead to correct the situation. “And address your Princess directly. She has priority here, servant, not I.”

The servant nodded, flustered. He turned to bow to Luna, and was met with another disdainful glare. His jaw tightened, barely registering his lapse in etiquette, and he began speaking.

“Milady, my sincerest apologies,” he mumbled. “How may I serve you?”

“As the Captain said, we will be taking lunch here,” she commanded, without the slightest hint of sympathy in her voice.

“Very well,” he said. “What will you be having?”

“Surprise me,” she retorted, stiffly.

The servant glanced toward Arrowhead. Receiving no sympathy from him, he merely bowed, and left without further word.

The pair waited with a strained silence, much unlike before. Luna carefully avoided Arrowhead’s gaze, while the Captain simply decided to stay quiet. The servant returned before long, with two bowls filled with greens, and some wine to share. Wordlessly, he placed them before the pair, and made a hasty exit. Arrowhead watched carefully as Luna scowled at the servant’s retreating form.

They began eating in silence, only exchanging a few words when necessary. Once they were finished, the pair pushed their bowls aside. Luna stared into her goblet as Arrowhead drained his own.

“I will speak with her,” stated Luna, tonelessly. “And no longer shall I bother thee.”

Luna was gone before Arrowhead could protest. Bewildered, he looked around for her, and sighed after a moment. Perhaps now, he had fixed the rift his sires had warned him about.

Alone with his thoughts, he wandered absently back into the gardens proper. To his idle surprise, there was only one gardener tending the flowers. Where the other had gone, remained to be seen.

He noticed the old gardener’s movements had become slow, burdened by time and worry. Why the stallion’s daughter had abandoned her task, Arrowhead did not know. He decided to finally take his day, and returned to the castle.

He wandered along the great halls of the Castle, reflecting on his talk with Princess Luna. Though intriguing, he would have much preferred to spend it on lighter matters with her, seeing as hardly anypony could approach her sister.

Something about Luna’s tone gave him pause. There remained a hidden voice to their conversation, even starting at breakfast. It had revealed itself a few times, but Arrowhead had attributed it to stress, as it often was before a major celebration.

He frowned internally at his dissection of their conversation. Luna had not slept, this became apparrant. While the importance of sleep to the Alicorns remained in question, Arrowhead was not sure he remembered Luna resting at all.

Arrowhead tensed as he reached the end of their time together. Luna had sounded almost as if she meant goodbye. Something had been eating away at the Princess of the Night, something Arrowhead had not been able to address. It was far beyond his own abilities, and only now had Arrowhead realized this. He cursed himself for his sluggishness on the matter.

He exhaled to calm himself, and began hurrying toward the Court Mage’s quarters, praying that he wasn’t too late. Arrowhead only hoped his own ignorance in the subject of magic would prompt further investigation on part of Starswirl.

What Captain Arrowhead failed to notice was the growing shadows on the floor, as the daylight grew to a premature close.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment