• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 1,239 Views, 10 Comments

Words Unspoken - wille179



These are the last words that were never said. Birdshot.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,239

Reality

Tom to Rarity:

Why did you stop believing in me? Why do you think me worthless?


The strange thing about magic is that it is inherently intuitive and illogical. The magic channeled through a unicorn has some order because it passes through a semi-orderly mind, thus making magical research as much a study in psychology as arcane physics. When a mind is magically destabilized, let's say by someone like Discord, the afflicted tends to "leak" semi-structured mana. Usually, this mana dissipates within minutes, unless of course it is stuck to an object by heavy focus. You could even say obsession would be a more apt term.

Rarity was obsessed with a boulder while leaking mana, giving birth to "Tom." While not technically alive, as Rarity maintained a connection to it, the mana was able to react to stimuli and shared access to her soul, and thus was alive in the way a finely crafted homunculus was.

The moment the connection was cut, the moment Twilight used her memory spell on Rarity, the manaform-psudosoul named Tom ceased to be. It's last though before it was extinguished was a plea for life.