• Published 22nd Oct 2014
  • 623 Views, 7 Comments

Chrysology - Bad



There is a place which changelings guard unknowingly. The Queen holds the key to such location. Unfortunately, she hasn't been able too keep secrets well enough since Canterlot.

  • ...
1
 7
 623

Chapter 1

“It has never been fair,” she said to the changeling serving her. There wasn’t a reply because it was unneeded.

“I know that in normal circumstances you wouldn’t voice your thoughts since it has been considered unnecessary ever since, we, changelings came to be.”

The changeling stopped cleaning the chamber and faced the queen, foreseeing a change in orders.

“But for one instant excuse your Queen for her unorthodox manners and allow her to ask,” she said. Her face brightened a second after. “Or better, let she demand an answer... by the means of a little game.”

The changeling made no discernible motion, yet a ‘yes’ was undoubtedly conveyed.

Chrysalis stood up and said, “As always, I appreciate your cooperation.” She carelessly dropped an aggravating emphasis on the last word. “I haven’t been myself as of lately, and because recent happenings, more than ever I find myself in debt with all of you.”

She walked down the mound that supported her seat. Despite changelings being quite unreasonable, they had no trouble in comprehending logic statements or obeying orders. For her, the contradiction only made more enjoyable the game she intended to play.

“We have been lucky despite the relative failure of our mission. Firstly, if the spell we were blasted with were not of defensive nature, I’m not sure how many of us would be alive. Secondly, the kingdom, our hive, is still stable under my rule, not only because we managed to siphon enough resources. There is a notorious lack of successors,” she said hurriedly, with unease, like resenting those words.

The changeling was disconcerted. The queen wasn't supposed to act this way. At least not without acting, but it was hard to tell when she was lying. After all, the Queen had the decision on what to unveil to her hive.

The changeling tried again to find some cue to understand her Queen’s reasons, but, confusingly, any indicator of grief was gone from her face the instant the changeling glanced again.

“Some of our previous conditions, like reduced workforce, have been worsened. Thus, I have had no time to look pretty in this ‘throne’ for the past two months,” Chrysalis said.

“But now that I have had taken care of the most pressing matters, I can allow myself to have some mildly useful fun,” she added.

With a smirk Chrysalis lit her horn and the entire room glowed a fluorescent green. Old mechanisms were activated and subtle magic permeated the room in a way only changelings could sense.

The poor changeling had no time to understand what was happening before feeling dizzy and promptly falling and passing out.

The changeling found herself fully conscious, some time after, upon the sight of two giant green irises inspecting her uncomfortably close, at barely inches from her nose. She hurriedly tried to regain posture, finding it impossible as she failed to balance her weight. She ended falling awkwardly and hurting one of her rear fetlocks.

Chrysalis leaned back and said, “it is advisable to stay down, that is, for the time being.” Her horn was still glowing, as well as the whole room.

After calming herself, she noticed the strange atmosphere the place had taken. It was dry and burning cold, even though not physically, was as insufferable as if it were. It was like being abandoned in the southernmost dessert.

Solitude… The reason dawned on her. Chrysalis had severed the mental link in the area, completely separating them from shared thoughts. Few changelings could tolerate isolation. They would usually go progressively insane, even beyond self preservation. Her past experiencesprobably the reason she was called forand the Queen’s presence gave her confidence that she would preserve a sane mind.

“I presume you have reached the right conclusion,” Chrysalis said. “I’m not surprised, you were the best at adaptation from your generation, Ananke.“ She made a pause. “Even so that you were the only survivor, if I recall correctly.”

She managed to stand up, albeit shakily. It was a rarity that changelings would be reminded of their past, or be addressed by their singular name, rather than their functional name. “M-My Queen?” she asked.

Chrysalis dismissed the last comment. She had finished doing her incantation and was presently seeing the expanse of the room that visually resonated with a soft turquoise glow. Eventually the glow vanished from the walls and ceiling, bar a spot that was too high to discern its shape. Chrysalis was smiling.

“Now, if you allow me, a small test,” she said.

Ananke was, again, unprepared. There was a blinding flash of green before the place dimmed to almost complete darkness.

She was dumbfounded. “Queen?” she said. There was no reply. She searched for the powerful aura of the queen. A futile action, she found, as she remembered the queen could disguise more than her mere appearance.

It seemed that Chrysalis had abandoned the area, or was hiding somewhere. She could do nothing either way. Recalling Chrysalis’ words, Ananke decided to do the right thing thing: wait.

It didn’t take much time for her thoughts betray her trustful spirit, and take doubt about the Queen’s words. It wasn’t by any means rightit was not the proper way to behavebut she couldn’t avoid to pry on things that she not make heads or tails. It was her gift and defect.

Even if the way she was being treated had no precedents as far as she knew, they way she behaved was uncommon among her species.

Changelings weren't raised with the knowledge of speech to be personally ordered, that quality was a way to fit along the other species easier. Instead, their society adapted so the Queen only needed to queue what she wanted done, and changelings worked their best to fulfill that query. For this purpose they developed more efficient ways to communicate.

For the good or worse, she had trouble using that skill since young. Ananke would usually need to experience and learn things by herself. It made her stand out a bit, because she would need to ask for indications or so called common knowledge very often.

Thankfully, as she found later in her life, her peers never cared much about her eccentricity. Their interest was very clear, to serve the hive. Changelings fighting against each other meant a fragmented hive and failure as a race. That was the way all changeling colonies worked. Or so she had been told.

Upon thinking, she realized that she had never heard about changelings outside her particular settlement. Maybe they were the only ones. If that were the case... She flinched at the thought. If that were the case, well, she she could at least feel special. That was bittersweet, in a strange way.

It might have its bright side. Maybe if they declared themselves a species in danger of extinction they would be let in hospitable territories again.

Maybe. With some restrictions.

She knew they had burned many bridges, but there were always second chances. Well, nearly always. Perhaps not with minotaurs… or griffons. Those ‘expeditions’ went badly. They were successful as they didn’t die of starvation or slaughter. Nevertheless, if one accounted for everything that happened there, even the bride the Queen replaced in Canterlot would be more forgiving of her kind.

Ponies, of course. They were still their best chance. Perhaps not now, but certainly in the foreseeable future. It was easier to disguise as them and they were extremely friendly. Its mere image made her mouth water.

She was hungry now. But she could perfectly stand the hunger some more time. She needed to, it was her duty.

Author's Note:

Still in need of people to preread and propose ideas and, well, everything with this story.

Feel free to comment whatever you want. I encourage you.