• Published 21st Oct 2014
  • 611 Views, 2 Comments

Mighty McIntosh - Trials - Zee The Freeman



Big McIntosh faces the Earth Pony trials to harness his newfound powers.

  • ...
 2
 611

Proficiency

"Welcome to the training hall, Earth Kin." Terrac led Big Mac into a large open arena, deep within the compound. It comprised of solid marble floors, and intricate carvings displayed several stories upon the granite walls. "These carvings tell the tale of the forging of the world. We put them here to keep us focused upon our true goal. We are here to keep the world in order." He led his pupil inward, showing more carvings. "This tells of the Water Ponies as they filled the seas." He pointed to another one, "This tells of the creation of Alicorns. We shall show you how to interpret this one when the time comes."

"The trials?" Big Mac asked, craning his neck towards the carvings.

"After you finish them, yes. Then you will understand the tale." They stopped within the center. "Now, Earth Kin, your next trial. We shall see how you can use your gifts under stress."

"What do you-" He was interrupted. Terrac assumed a fluid form, melting into the floor.

"I will erupt to strike you, Earth Kin. Prepare yourself." Terrac echoed within the arena, sounding as if he spoke everywhere at once. Big Mac sharpened his senses, and tapped his hoof onto the marble. A craggy barrier arose from the marble, following his front as he looked around.

Let's hope he attacks where I can see him. He thought, quickly checking any blind spots.

"You are open to attack, Earth Kin." Terrac manifested behind him, bucking his flank. He turned to counter, striking open air as Terrac melted into the marble once more. In frustration, he stomped his hoof. More barriers rose around Big Mac, surrounding himself.

If'n I'm not mistaken, he just literally kicked my ass. Let's see him hit me when there's no open spots. He thought, sporting a small smirk.

"Now you are trapped, open more than you might ever imagine." Terrac fell from the ceiling, falling onto Big Mac. His fortitude meant nothing, Terrac crushed all defenses easily; feeling dense as the earth's core. Before he could get up, his master melted around him and back into the marble.

"Hold still!" Big Mac yelled, and mightily stomped both fore-hooves. A giant stone-wave blasted across the arena. Terrac reformed at the end of this wave, and reared. Using his two front legs, he held wedged himself between the wave and the floor. His body glowed red-hot as the rock-wave slowed and finally halted, locking Terrac within a corner. A battle cry erupted from Big Mac as he charged straight for his teacher. He quickly grew worried as Terrac remained motionless. The rocks retracted, and the two clashed. Instantly Terrac spread his forelegs outward, the bright core within him shot out. A searing light blinded Big Mac, he blindly flailed in the direction he last saw his foe. Just as his vision returned, a sharp pain shot through his neck. The world faded to black as he fell limp upon the marble floor.


"I think talking's for the birds right now, Applejack." Granny said as she regained her footing. "We got a farm to fix." She strolled away towards the scorched barn.

"Granny's right Applejack, we should start to fix up the farm. We can talk about things later." Applebloom scuttled away.

"They're hidin' something. I'm gonna find out what. Maybe Big Mac knows." Applejack muttered, and entered the house. Searching proved a vain effort to find her brother, the large workhorse was nowhere to be found within its walls. Closer inspection of his room highlighted nothing, just his usual neat bed and cluttered closet. She never asked him what he hid in that mess, probably didn't want to know either. She thought of looking through it. Rifling through it wouldn't amount to much good, only a possibly angry and embarrassed Big Mac. "Considerin' that stallion's strength, no one wants him worked up. Specially not those livin' with him." Leaving his room and the house behind her, Applejack looked to the orchard. Despite the great span of the freshly invigorated apple trees, they showed no sign of a caretaker. The fields revealed nothing more than the vibrant vegetables that grew there. Frustrated, she turned towards the final location, the barn. Approaching it, a faint odor of charcoal emanated from the wood.

Granny approached her, "The way I see it, everything'll need a new coat of paint. S'bout it." She tossed a chisel at Applejack who swiftly caught it.

"Wha-abou' Big-"

"Now get scrapin'! Can't paint that scorched mess." Granny disappeared back into the barn. Applejack groaned, but shaved off some char from the barn. She wouldn't be let off till it was finished, and nopony dared to argue with Granny. That's a battle Celestia herself may not win. After a few minutes of work, the revealed wood glowed with strangely renewed vigor. Applejack's work met a few obstacles, mostly consisting of three little fillies. They ran about the barn, often with tools in their mouths, and they always made sure to say something to her. She noticed that one of them only said hello once, Applebloom. Her little sister remained silent after her first trip, often avoiding eye contact.

That filly's got a secret. Though if I step away from this barn, Granny'll have my tail. Hours of monotonous work passed, and she stepped back to admire the clean-shaven building. The barn sat among a ring of scraped ash, but the exterior itself absorbed the evening sun, reflecting off a rich orange hue. Applejack peeked inside the barn, looking for her fellow Apples. Granny ain't in there, and Celestia knows where the Crusaders ran off to.


The arena returned to his vision, Big Mac regained his footing. Terrac sat upon a broken pillar, observing the murals. He watched his pupil move about the space, accounting the damage caused during 'training'. A fine powder dusted the area, a consequence of combating earth against earth. "You performed well enough," The Earth Pony uttered from his perch, "better than most who acquire such abilities." He leapt down to the now-dusty marble floor. "Though you may want to aim next time. As you fell unconscious, you launched several boulders from your position. It may be some last-ditch method of self-defense. I find it a poor display, something that should be honed."

"How can I fix something I can't control?" Big Mac prodded, an annoyed eyebrow raised to his master.

"Let's hope you don't keep that mentality. You have much to learn, Earth Kin," Terrac trotted to the stairs, "Come, the first lesson may now be taught."