• Published 27th Nov 2014
  • 392 Views, 7 Comments

Reanimated - SilverMistfim



Follow Compass Rose as she travels across a world infested with cannibalistic ponies.

  • ...
 7
 392

Ch.5: Sacrifice

All i could hear was the constant groaning of the lurkers as we ran through the door of The Castle Of The Two Sisters. Opal slams the door shut and holds it in place as the lurkers slam into it, trying to get in.

She turns her head to me. “Rose, find something to hold this closed.”

I look around and spy an old flag post. I run over and pick it up, bringing it over to Opal, who slides it between the door handles. The lurkers continue to slam into the door.

“That won’t hold them off for long.” Cobalt says.

“Your right, we’ve got to find a way out of here!” Opal replies. “Rose, find out where we’ve got to go from here. I’ll look around for another exit.”

I sit down in a corner of the room and pull out my maps and compass. After a while Opal returns.

“I think we could get out on the second floor. There are some thick vines hanging from a nearby tree we could slide down.” At that moment, a lurker smashed a hoof sized hole into the door “Shit!” Opal says in surprise. “We’ve got to move.”

“You’re not going anywhere girly” a heavily accented voice says from behind us. We turn around to see an older unicorn pony with a brown coat and a gray mane. He looked like he hadn’t showered in years and with all likelihood he hadn’t. He was levitating a shotgun which was aimed straight at Opals head.

I step forward “Who are you?”

“Who I am doesn't matter. Who are you.” The stranger said in an accent i couldn’t quite pinpoint.

“I’m Rose, and this is Opal, and Cobalt” I reply gesturing to my friends. “What do you want?”

“Simple” Said the stranger. “I want your supplies, all of them."

“WHAT?!” I yell in shock “We need these supplies in order to survive!”

“That is none of my concern.” The stranger said with a smirk “Drop your supplies on the floor now.”

The three of us do so reluctantly. The stranger slowly steps forward, reaching for the bags. Within an instant Cobalt swung around and bucked the brown unicorn in a skull crushing kick to the head. I shrieked, I was not expecting that. “How did you do that?” I say looking at Cobalt.

Cobalt turned his head toward me. “What do you mean?”

“Kick that pony. How did you see him?”

He smiled “I didn't. I just guessed where he was by the sound of his voice”

I only stare in shock. Opal interrupts “I’d love to sit around and chat all day but we’ve got a horde just outside the door, so we need to get out of here.” As if on cue a few more lurkers smashed holes into the door. We didn’t have a lot of time.

“Even if we get out of here, they’ll just follow us.” Cobalt says with a frown.

“What do we do?” I ask

Opal looks at the door of lurkers and then at the body of the brown unicorn. “I've got an idea.”

~

“ARE YOU INSANE?!” I yell after Opal finished explaining the plan. “That's sick and cruel!”

“I’m afraid we don’t have a choice.” Opal replied sadly “Its the only way we're getting out of this alive.”

“But that's inhumane!” I counter. “Its not right.”

“Opal's correct.” Cobalt says “If we don't do this, we will all die.”

I wanted to argue some more but they were right. There was no other option. we would have to use the unicorns body as a distraction to get away. “Fine.” I say through gritted teeth.

We drag the body up to the second floor window. I peek over to see dozens of lurkers smashing against the walls of the castle. They’d break through any second. We slide the body on the windowsill and push it off. All at once the lurkers turned toward the dead unicorn and begin to approach it. Sweet celestia I wished I’d looked away. The lurkers tore the body to shreds. Blood going everywhere, limbs being ripped away. One of his eyeballs was torn from his socket and flung toward me. I shrieked as it bounced on the windowsill next to me.

Opal stared at me, pity in her eyes. she turned away “We've got to move!” She exclaimed and the three of us made our way to the opposite end of the castle where we slid down a steep ramp made out of a collapse ceiling. We ran far away from the castle before we stopped to take a break.

I walk over to a tree and lean against it. I still couldn't get over what we did back there. Sure the unicorn threatened us but he didn’t deserve that, even if he was already dead.

Cobalt walks over to me “You feeling ok?” He asks

“Im fine.” I lie, not wanting to show my fear of what happened.

“I’m sorry for what we did back there. It was inhumane but it had to be done or all three of us would’ve ended up like him. except we would've been eaten alive.”

“Its ok, I understand.” I reply, looking at the ground.

Cobalt opens his mouth to say more but decides against it. He turns and walks over to a nearby tree where he lies down.

For a while we rest, not saying a word. We just sat there and rested. What happened at the castle affected all of us. After a while Opal looks over to me. “You got any idea where we head next?”

I slide off my saddlebags and reach in for my maps only to find they weren't there. “Shit,” i say under my breath “They’re not here.”

Opal jumps up “What?”

“The maps, they're not here!” I say, panicking now.

“Where could they be?” Opal asks frantically.

“I must have left them at the ruins!”

“What do we do?” Opal says, pacing back and forth. “Can we go back for them”

“No” Cobalt says standing up as well “Those lurkers will still be there and will remain there for some time.”

The maps were gone, and so was the compass. we had no idea where we were nor did we know where to go. We were lost.‏

Author's Note:

~Ink Scrawl