• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 1,165 Views, 39 Comments

The Fragments of Symphony - Sky Blue CMC



When Doctor Whooves travels to Canterlot in the TARDIS and sees Octavia acting like a DJ, the Doctor realises that he mixed up the Fragments of Symphony! Can he return his friends to normal in time for the big event?

  • ...
2
 39
 1,165

Chapter I: The Big Mix-Up

Around the time of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Shining Armour's wedding, just after the Mane Six left for Canterlot, Doctor Whooves opened his little TARDIS blue book to a page on which River Song had written an equation. It was supposed to be a formula for perpetual energy, something not anybody or anypony had been able to calculate. If it could be completed, the Doctor thought, then I could fly my TARDIS forever!

Suddenly he saw a grey Pegasus mare standing in front of him. "Derpy!" he exclaimed in surprise. "How long have you been here?"

"A few minutes, maybe?" The wall-eyed mare replied, wondering herself. "You were probably too lost in your book, Doctor."

"I wasn't lost in my book, Derpy!" the Doctor replied "I was just reading it for a moment, looking at some equation an old friend of mine wrote. She said that if it was correct, it could make the TARDIS fly forever!"

"What's an Equestion?" Derpy asked. "Is it like a question about ponies?"

"It's an equation, not an Equestion!" the Doctor replied. "And an equation is a maths problem which has an unknown and a solution."

"Oh," Derpy responded "If the TARDIS could fly forever, we could go back in time to before you got to Equestria and get you back home to Gallopfrey!"

"Gallifrey, not Gallopfrey." the Doctor corrected. "And even if I could go back to my home universe, I would never go back there. Not after all the friendships I've made here. Anyway, why did you come here?"

"I just came by to say hello and see what you were doing." Derpy answered.

"Well in that case, run along Derpy, I'm too busy to speak right now." the Doctor replied.

"Okay then, bye Doctor!" Derpy said as she walked on her way. She was going to make muffins for all her friends. Delicious oatmeal muffins. With butter on top. And blueberries inside. She'd figure out the rest when she got home.

With the klutz away, the Doctor thought to himself, the Time Lord will play! Since nopony was around, he started thinking aloud. "Let's see, KE=0.5mv^2 where v=c and m=0... no, that wouldn't work: nothing has no mass. How about m=0.001, a small object weighing only 1 gram at light speed... 44937758936840.89 Joules of energy used. That's still a rather large amount of energy, probably too much to get enough back in return... Then again, the TARDIS has a lot of vortex energy, probably more than that much per second. What nearby object weighs 1 gram?" The Doctor looked around and found nothing he could place in a particle accelerator. Nothing other than dirt, anyway. "Well, dirt it is then!" he said, and then he grabbed some dirt, carefully weighed it, and put it in the particle accelerator.

The particle accelerator, connected to the TARDIS, carried the dirt in circles and circles until it had reached just slightly under the speed of light. The energy was then transferred to the TARDIS.

Unbeknownst to the Doctor, however, Celestia and Luna had scheduled a solar eclipse for that particular moment. The Doctor, too busy testing River's equation, was not looking at the sky. He did not see the solar eclipse, nor know of it until the sky randomly went dark for a few moments.

Also unbeknownst to the Doctor, eclipses in Equestria were powered by the Fragments of Symphony, the second most powerful magic known to ponydom. The power of the eclipse was magnified by the TARDIS's energy, and the Fragments of Symphony were mixed up.

"Now to testy westy the TARDIS's new energy... wenergy!" The Doctor exclaimed in triumph. "Allons-y!" The Doctor got into the TARDIS and pulled some levers, pressed some buttons, and adjusted some dials. The TARDIS travelled to about six minutes in the future, to when the eclipse would end, making a vworping noise as she left.

As the TARDIS made another vworping noise, she took the Doctor to sixty minutes in the future. In Canterlot. Whoops. Fifty-four minutes off. the Doctor thought. Then he looked around. And in the wrong town!

The Doctor saw a familiar looking light-grey-brown mare and said hello. "'ello, Octavia!" He noticed there was a different symbol on her rump than there normally was: where a purple treble clef used to be, there was a black pair of beamed eighth notes. Just like the Cootie Mark of a certain DJ back in Ponyville: Vinyl, or DJ P0N3.

The Doctor was astounded: not only had a pony's Cutie Mark changed, but it changed into that of another pony's. The Doctor was oblivious to many, though not most, Equestrian ways, but he knew that ponies only had one Cutie Mark in their lifetime, unless afflicted by the Cutie Pox. Since Zecora and the Seeds of Truth were in the Everfree Forest, which was quite far from Canterlot, the Doctor needed to find his own cure.

Then he had an idea: Everyone in Ponyville came here for the Royal Wedding. Maybe Bon Bon had an idea for a cure. After all, her sweets did more than just satisfy the taste buds, some of them had magic powers! Then he thought a little more on the matter. Or whoever has Bon Bon's Cootie Mark!

The Doctor looked at Octavia's turntables, and saw the name DJ T4V3 inscribed on the side of it. He listened and heard music that sounded terrible even for what Vinyl called "wubs". Yup, the Doctor thought Someone needs to cure these ponies. Doesn't really matter who. Something needs to be done or else Equestria will have another disaster!

Author's Note:

The picture and the idea for the story come from "What My Cutie Mark Is Telling Me Background Ponies" but the title is original.