• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 7,585 Views, 316 Comments

Collision Code - SSJRandomMaster



A hidden message leads to two friends getting themselves stuck in Equestria. Meanwhile, a long-forgotten evil begins to make its move...

  • ...
28
 316
 7,585

PreviousChapters Next
Act 1 Chapter 2

Act I: Collision of Worlds
Chapter 2: Communication Breakdown
--------------------------------
It wasn’t anything new—since coming to Ponyville, running became second nature for Twilight. As she ran through the Ponyville streets, she began going over what little she knew about the situation.

A dragon landed in the center of the town, and began breathing fire… Twilight thought to herself, The closer I get, the less I’m sure of what’s really going on…If we had a rampaging dragon on the loose, we’d have more damage than just this…

The purple alicorn looked around, seeing a surprising lack of fire and other miscellaneous property damage. She could hear the panic as ponies were still being shuffled to safety, but she couldn’t hear any other signs of calamity—and she knew very well the sound of that by now.

It’s still a problem, just a different problem… Even if the rampage isn’t…extensive, the dragon’s still disturbing the peace, and it has to be dealt with somehow…

It wasn’t long before she happened upon a familiar face, kneeling down next to a couple of ponies—a unicorn and an earth pony, clearly in full-on shock. The familiar face in question was none other than Rarity, another unicorn with a rather elegant fashion sense—though today she was wearing what most would consider her casual clothing, but even those seemed elegant in their own way: white shirt, black pants, high heels.

“Rarity!” Twilight called out, running towards her. As she drew close, she could see the ponies had more or less passed out from the shock. Rarity had been tending to them, but she did hear Twilight’s call all the same, and she turned around to look at her.

“Twilight, it’s horrible!” Rarity squealed as Twilight came close. Instantly, the alicorn princess began to reconsider her stance on the dragon.

“What happened?!” What did the dragon do?!

“I broke a nail!” Rarity held out her left hand, showing her index finger’s nail had been, at worst, slightly chipped. Twilight stared, eye twitching, at the chipped nail for a few suspended moments before speaking again.

“What about the dragon!?” Twilight’s patience was not to be tested right now (even if it was Rarity blowing things a little out of proportion), and her voice showed it when it exited her mouth at a higher volume than normal. Rarity put her hand down in response, embarrassed. She had all but forgotten about the dragon, and it showed.

“Ah, yes, well…” Rarity began, getting back on topic, “The dragon is still in town, and Fluttershy—poor dear—has joined Rainbow and Applejack in trying to apprehend it. He seems to be rather…elusive. He’ll just disappear every now then.”

How could somepony lose something that big…

“This would explain why he hasn’t been caught yet,” replied Twilight, “I don’t get it…why would he drop into town, and then hide for this long without doing anything else?”

“Twilight, do you think it is possible that he may have entered town by accident?” Rarity asked. Twilight blinked, and looked back to Rarity.

“What makes you say that?”

“Well, before I joined in on helping keep the town under control, I happened to run into him…or, rather, he ran into me…”

“What happened?”

“It was…strange. The moment he did run into me, he merely looked at me. I was on the verge of screaming, but before I could, the strangest thing happened…”

“That thing being…”

“He backed away,” Rarity summed up. Twilight could only regard the unicorn with a skeptical look as she continued, “I swear this happened: he took a few steps away from me, then turned and ran in the opposite direction—“

“That’s what happened to me too!” an all-too familiar voice squealed from her right. Twilight jumped and yelped as the voice sounded. Even after a year of knowing her, she still wasn’t used to her friend’s inexplicable ability to teleport herself everywhere.

This was Pinkie Pie, an earth pony who was every bit as pink as her name would suggest. The party mare wore a white T-shirt, with a heart over the bosom area under a blue vest. This was completed by a short pink skirt held in place with a purple sash. However, for some reason, she was wearing blue boots that were better suited for a thunderstorm than a sunny day like this one.

“I was running with a group of ponies, and then we all saw the dragon, then the ponies were like ‘AHHH!’ and then the dragon was like ‘Arahgah!’ then the ponies ran in one direction while the dragon ran the other!” Pinkie explained it so happily that both alicorn and unicorn had to wonder if she thought it was all a funny game.

This aside, however, Twilight began to wonder what exactly was going on. Rarity and Pinkie’s accounts of their time with the dragon were more or less the same.

“If that’s what happened, then it looks like the dragon’s trying to avoid pony contact…” Twilight said, more to herself, “But if the dragon wasn’t trying to cause a trouble…then why did it breathe fire on first contact?”

“Twilight?” Rarity asked, breaking the lavender mare out of her trance at once.

“Okay,” Twilight responded, “I need you two to keep the townsponies as calm as possible…I’ve already sent a letter to Princess Celestia about the situation, so we should be getting some kind of help soon, so keep an eye out. In the meantime, I’ll go join the others…”

Rarity and Pinkie gave a small “hmph” of agreement, then the three mares split up.

The only way I’m gonna know what’s really going on here is if we manage to get the dragon under control…
--------------------------------
Corey had nearly gotten to town when he began to hear the distant sounds of panic. When he did hear them, he had only one thought on his mind—something was in the middle of happening. It seemed like a contrived coincidence that he’d arrive in Ponyville when something big was going down. If a vine tried to ensnare him, he was going to punch something out. Or try to, anyway.

The human-turned-unicorn was now running through the streets. He could hear the sounds of crisis loud and clear now, but the streets seemed to be mostly clear, save for a pony here and there—who, mercifully, had hands, identifiable feet, and appeared to walk on two legs just like him—passed out on the sides of the road, looking like they passed out from…shock? Confusion? Terror?

Whatever this thing is… Corey thought to himself, Must be something bad...With this in mind, there’s only one thing to do: time to channel what little I can learn from video games.

With this in mind, the green unicorn slowed his pace, walking as slowly as possible, touching the ground with his heel first, toe last with each step he took. He hunched over as well, making himself smaller.

How to walk as quietly as possible so I don’t draw attention!

Corey wondered exactly what was going down. Ponies were panicking, the town streets were devoid of life, there was something tall, dark and reptilian in his peripheral vision—

Wait, what the hell—

He turned his head towards where he saw something huge running down the adjacent street—or at least, he thought he saw it—it could have been just the frames of his glasses and he got confused with the stress of what was going on. However, given the frames of his glasses only took up so much of his vision, and that object was clearly massive, Corey decided to not take chances.

The former human decided to get things moving, running as quickly and as quietly as possible in the direction he saw the unidentifiable creature proceed. He slowed down a bit, hoping that if he did come across the cause of the panic, it didn’t hear him approaching, and more importantly, didn’t see him.

Corey looked around carefully.

Where’d you go… Corey thought to himself, really hoping that whatever it was wouldn’t get the drop on him right then. He slowly looked around, just in time to see a black tail slither around the corner at max speed. The male quickly reacted, shuffling as fast as he could to that corner and pressing himself flat against the nearby building. He even tried to suck in his belly a little bit just to make himself as flat as possible.

He waited a few seconds before he dared to peek around the corner.

Definitely saw something before… Corey thought, But by God, he’s a slippery son-of-a—

The sight of a black and blue head poking back out of what could have been an alleyway of sorts caused Corey to duck back around the corner, holding his breath. He closed his eyes, awaiting the sound of feet stamping his way. After several tense seconds, the unicorn dared a second look. His subject was moving quickly out of his sight. He got a good look at it: wings, black scales, ruined-looking clothing…

So this is what feral dragons look like here, huh? But who is he…he’s not one of the dragons from that episode, so…Just who is he?

“That was quick…”

Corey froze, letting out a strangled yelp. He knew the voice, but it didn’t change the fact someone got the drop on him. He turned around, and was met with a sight he sort of expected: Twilight with wings. That didn’t bother him. What did bother him, however, was her follow-up comment.

“You must be the help that Princess Celestia sent…”

What is she talking about… Corey thought. He didn’t know where to start in terms of describing exactly how wrong she was about that, but that was beside the point.

“You thought to sneak up on the dragon while it was distracted,” Twilight said, “In practice, a lot more effective than charging it head-on, even if it hasn’t really been attacking.”

But this is the first time I’ve put it in practice, and—why am I not saying this out loud?!

“But you’re going to need to catch it…” Only now did Twilight seem to be truly looking him over, “Hmm…There are some other ponies already pursuing it…”

Corey sharply inhaled, ready to say exactly how wrong she was, but the words caught in his throat. He needed to say something, how he was about as equipped to take on a dragon as a four-year-old was equipped to take on Hulk Hogan. Even with backup as capable as who he was sure she was referring to.

“Here, follow me!” she said, not letting him go on, evidently more focused on the eight foot reptile running through the city streets. Corey watched her for a few moments, his eyebrows creased in frustration.

Why did I get involved… With a sigh, Corey quickly took off after her, If this gets resolved, I might be able to state my problem anyway, so as long as I’m not eaten alive…

Corey trailed Twilight by just a few steps, a single thought running through his mind.

Doesn’t change the fact that this is going to suck…
--------------------------------
“Lost him again!”

John stared up into the sky, his back against a wall in an alleyway. He had to have taken this kind of hiding spot at least five times in the past several minutes. He watched a rainbow trail fly right past him, having been hearing that voice—character, a lot since the chase started. Quickly, John chose to go the opposite direction of where he knew Rainbow had just flown.

Over time, even though he barely had any time to stand still and collect himself, he was able to start putting things together. He knew now where he was and what he was, but how it happened wasn’t too clear. But it was still the last thing on his mind.

It wasn’t like he could blame the town full of ponies for reacting the way they were. He had accidentally caused a panic to take the town, and he couldn’t communicate at all. Well, he may have had a chance earlier, but when he sighed fire, all chance of doing so went up in smoke. His only option now—the only one he could think to undertake, was to get out of town as quickly as he could. However, that proved to be easier said than done. Nine times out of ten, when he left cover, he didn’t make it far before some other bystander would see him, and pass out from shock or run away in terror.

He could only turn around and sprint away from those ponies; John figured he’d already done enough damage as it was.

“There he is!”

The fact he was being chased by not one, but two stubborn mares did not make things easier on him at all. Again, it wasn’t like he could blame the ponies for how they were reacting. He’d probably have done the same if a dragon landed in the middle of town out of nowhere. John quickly turned the corner, checking over his shoulder. His pursuers were out of sight now, so he made his next move. Leaping forward into a roll, John dove into the nearest hiding spot: a bush that managed to conceal his considerably larger frame.

He waited in silence, willing himself to slow his breathing. It really wouldn’t do him any good to get excited now. He could only wait, as the sounds of rapid wingbeats and footsteps grew closer.

“Dagnabbit!” This was Applejack, he could tell by the accent. This was followed by something being tossed hard on the ground, “How’s he keep givin’ us the slip!?”

Good question. How do you keep losing sight of me?

“Rainbow, you see ‘em?”

“No luck, A.J., I’m gonna circle around town again, you keep checking the ground!”

The sound of rapid wingbeats and a “fwoosh” went off; Rainbow had just left. Applejack’s own footsteps began to become more distant—he could hear the cowpony boots clicking on the ground for several tense seconds. John did not even move, knowing the slightest movement would cause the bush to rustle. Even for a few seconds after the sounds ceased, John did not dare move. However, once he was sure he could slip out unnoticed to the next hiding spot, or even out of town altogether, John prepared himself.

Okay…three…two…one!

John hopped out of the bush, intending to sprint full speed hoping he’d be able to increase the gap between himself and the others. But, before he could even take two steps, he found himself face-to-face with the worst possible citizen of Ponyville.

Of all the ponies in this town, why’d it have to be you, Fluttershy?!

The pegasus in question was looking up at him, her blue-green eyes wide with fear, only making a small squeak when he had leapt directly in front of her. John himself did not bother making a sound, already knowing any attempt to communicate would make her fall over, stiff as a board. Or, it’d get him staring straight into the face of Cthulhu. Whatever the case, John didn’t want to hang around.

John raised his claws, lowering his body, trying to show he meant zero harm. He took several slow steps back, trying not to startle her further. However, before he could think of taking off…

“Gotcha!”

John couldn’t react quick enough to stop the rope from being thrown around him, pinning his arms to his sides as the rope tightened. One strong tug later, John found himself yanked off his feet.

“Quick, tie him up!” John initially struggled, until it occurred to him what exactly his body did before without him meaning to. He was a dragon, and he wasn’t sure how much damage he could cause if he got too into it.

Besides, he had done too much damage. He had no other options—he was caught. As he laid down, his arms firmly pinned to his sides and his entire torso tied up wrapped up in ropes, John had only one thing on his mind.

All things considered…I guess there are still worse ways to spend a weekend…
--------------------------------
“How does it keep giving us the slip!?” Twilight shouted in frustration, “Adolescent dragons are up to ten feet tall, bigger than the average pony at any rate! And Ponyville isn’t even that big of a city to begin with! How has he stayed out of sight this long?!”

Corey didn’t know what to make of that. He awkwardly paused, not knowing offhand what to say. So, he said the first thing that came to his mind.

“Well…at least he isn’t causing any more damage?”

To this, Twilight sighed, “I know, but…”

Corey tilted his head, unsure of why she sounded…well, unsure of herself. “But…?”

Before she could answer, though, a voice called out from above.

“Yo, Twilight!”

Both alicorn and unicorn looked up again. Corey found himself greeted with yet another familiar yet unfamiliar sight: an anthromorphed Rainbow Dash hovering in the air, looking proud of herself. She wore a purple t-shirt and blue jeans with a pair of running shoes—shoes that seemed to be more for show than for their use—overall, not that surprising, really.

“Rainbow!” Twilight said, “How’s the chase going?”

The cyan mare motioned just over her shoulder with a thumb, still looking just a little too smug. Corey could see a familiar face hunched over, carrying something big, black and blue.

It was Applejack dragging the dragon, the latter bound by a rope and looking more or less defeated. The earth pony was wearing an orange plaid shirt, tied up just above her stomach, exposing it, and a pair of jean shorts. The look was completed by a pair of cowpony boots.

Fluttershy followed a bit behind, as though afraid the dragon was going to break out. Twilight released a short sigh.

“Oh…” She said, turning to Corey, “Well, looks like we didn’t need your help after a—“

Twilight cut herself off, Corey briefly looking to her and back to the captured dragon. The dragon seemed to be…confused, looking right at him. The feeling was mutual.

“Uh…” Twilight said, “I…I’m sorry, I never got your name…”

“Oh, uh, it’s Corey…”

The moment Corey said his own name, the dragon seemed to come alive, flopping around onto his stomach. The others jumped—Fluttershy into the nearest bush. All eyes were on the dragon, but the dragon was now looking directly at Corey.

“Woureh?” The dragon slurred, no one understanding him. Corey paused, squinting at the dragon. He couldn’t piece it together, given how far off it sounded from common English, but…

Did he just say my—Corey remembered what had happened before. In all the excitement he had nearly forgotten it. Right before being flung here to Equestria, both he and John appeared to be downloading a file. He wasn’t quite sure if John had been pulled in, but then he heard the dragon… Could it really be?

Without saying anything else, Corey began to take small steps forward towards the dragon. He was aware all eyes were on him right now, but he couldn’t worry about that fact.

“Don’t get too close to him, no tellin’ what he might do.” Applejack warned Corey, but he ignored her warning. If he was right about this dragon’s true identity, he didn’t need to worry.

Corey stopped just short of the dragon, kneeling down next to him. The whole time, the two hadn’t stopped looking to each other. It was like the black and blue reptile in front of him knew him, but there was only one way to be sure.

“What’s your name?” Corey asked, ignoring the confused murmurs behind him for the moment. The dragon looked conflicted, as though he didn’t know what to say. But that wasn’t the case—Corey may not have been an expert emotion reader, but he could tell that the dragon was trying to say something—its jaw was opening and closing, almost as if he were testing it. Corey waited for the awkward mouthing to end. The dragon took a deep breath, and Corey felt himself flinch just a little, expecting to be barbequed.

“Yeeeahhn…” It was a slurred word.

“’Yeaahn’?” Rainbow asked, “What kind of dragon name is ‘Yeeahn’? Even ‘Spike’ sounds better than that!”

“I’ll just…take that as a compliment,” Twilight responded. Yet Corey remained hung on how the word was said.

That wasn’t him slurring the word…That was him trying to sound it out…In fact, it sounded like how he said my name…But that itself doesn’t make sense. Dragons in this world can talk, even if this world is a little different from how it usually is…

Corey paused, as a thought occurred to him. He himself was a unicorn, but Corey was almost positive that if it came to using magic, he couldn’t do it.

So if this dragon can’t even talk…what does ‘Yeahhn’ mean… ‘Yeahhn’… ‘Gee—yawn…’

“John!?” Corey said, at a much louder volume than he intended.
-------------
And at last, a horse crossed a finish line, John thought to himself, realizing at least Corey found his way through that Olympic feat of finding out who he was underneath the scales—nodding at this. However, he could see the others behind Corey, reacting with shock…and maybe even disgust—he couldn’t tell.

“Wait, you know him?” asked Twilight. Corey froze at this, but he took a deep breath. John knew it was up to Corey to tell them what was going on. John couldn’t even hope to help him here unless he could write things out. And given his arms were bound, that wasn’t going to happen. Corey’s face was full of confidence he could work it out, which gave John hope.

“Uh…yes. He’s a friend of mine…”

Okay, okay…Good start…

“And…” Corey paused as though not knowing anything, “I sent us here…”

An awkward pause ensued.

Okay, a little clumsy, but I think you can recover…

“Wait, you mean you sent him here?!” Rainbow shouted.

“…Uh, what…” Corey started to falter, and only now did John realize something incredibly obvious, something he should he realized from the get-go.

Wait, I have to rely on Corey of all people to explain something like this?!

“Well, I mean, didn’t I say ‘I’ sent ‘us’ here…” Corey sounded confused, but this wouldn’t stop Rainbow from jumping to conclusions—John knew that all too well.

The human turned dragon could only think of one thing to do in this situation. He knew that the obvious route: escaping, wouldn’t work out well at all, and it wasn’t like he felt like fighting or running away anymore since it’d just be more fuel to the fire. So, with all that in mind, John’s great course of action was to slam his face onto the ground. Repeatedly.

We’re done for…

Author's Note:

And things just got more complicated. We'll see where this goes...next time.

PreviousChapters Next