• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,918 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,918

PreviousChapters Next
Arsenal: Final Battle 1 - Phoenix

When the group returned to their ship, they found Sasha on the communicator. "Ratchet!" she shouted, gunfire in the background. "Where have you been?"

"We were just-" Ratchet began, struggling to spin a tale that didn't mention Qwark.

"Never mind!" Sasha interrupted. "The Phoenix is under attack! Our shields are-" The signal was interrupted by static.

"Sasha!" Ratchet shouted in fear.

"Captain!" Twilight called out.

The signal cut back in. "-to 40%. Life support systems are-" More static interrupted. "-I think they're getting-" Longer static. "-aboard the ship. Whatever's on that disc has Nefarious worried-" Again, static cut the signal. "-do anything to get it back." Sasha smiled, this time just for Ratchet. "Hey hot shot, if I don't get to see you again, I just wanted to say-" The signal was consumed by static and was lost.

Clank looked up at Ratchet sadly. "The signal...is lost."

Ratchet's eyes narrowed. "But they won't be," he growled, gunning the engine. "Engage the gravimetric warp drive!"

As worried as Twilight was for the Phoenix and all aboard, a little detail appeared in her mind and wrote itself on the 'possible Mommy' checklist.

Mutual Attraction and Affection? Check.


As they entered the docking bay, their shuttle slipped in alongside the Sparkle Squad's ship. The four Rangers had apparently returned from Aridia, and were struggling to fight the invading force. Not only were the robotic enemies far more nimble than 'Noids - Twilight swore they were robo-ninjas - the Rangers weren't used to battle in confined space where collateral damage was a concern. Twilight made a mental note to add that to the training regimen she'd outlined for future Galactic Ranger trainees.

"What's the situation?" Twilight demanded of Ironhead, who was working on repairing Boom Boom.

"The crew are on the bridge," Ironhead growled. "The invaders have taken over the rest of the ship, though Eagle's keeping them out of Engineering. They were trying to blow the ship up."

"We'll take it from here," Ratchet proclaimed. "Make sure none of them escape."

"Sir!" both Rangers proclaimed, saluting.

As two robo-ninjas leapt over Ironhead's barricade to attack, Twilight grabbed one in her magic. Ironhead grabbed the other in his free hand. They smashed the two hostiles into each other, pulping them.

"Let's move!" Ratchet barked, priming his weapons.

For the most part, the robo-ninjas were the primary threat as they made their way towards the bridge. They took a lot of punishment, and were able to dodge quite well. The zap-bots were a minor nuisance at best by comparison. Eventually, however, Ratchet lost his temper. When one of the robo-ninjas evaded a bit too well and came in swinging its double beam saber, Ratchet caught it by the handle on the way down.

"Out of my way!" he growled, bringing his wrench down on the ninja's hand servos, shattering them. He then spun, driving the shorter blade into its head, shorting out its CPU. In the same motion, he hurled the weapon like a javelin, impaling three other robo-ninjas through the power core.

"I am so glad my prosthetic has a built in camera!" Twilight squealed as she watched the little REC in the corner of her HUD.

After that, the robo-ninjas avoided short range combat, staying back and hurling bladed discs at the group...which Twilight caught in her telekinesis and sent flying right back into their skulls. Suddenly, the robo-ninjas - despite their vast numbers - weren't as much of a threat.

"It appears the Conservation of Ninjutsu has worked in our favor," Clank commented dryly.

"That's why we're making sure to take them out in groups!" Twilight agreed.

Guarding the last stretch to the bridge was a massive mecha. It attempted to attack with high energy plasma blasts. Twilight, for her part, took advantage of the heat of exposed circuitry to glide close to the ceiling and land on its head unit. After determining that it lacked a pilot and was in fact a very large robot, she pulled out her Infecto-Bomb and popped open the ammo tank, leaking the acidic containment fluid directly onto the head unit of the mecha, burning straight through to the core circuitry. One Plasma Storm shot into the hole and the whole thing exploded, taking out the last of the robo-ninjas with the shrapnel.

Once aboard the bridge, they were confronted immediately by a heavily armed robo-Skidd. "What's the password?" he demanded over the whine of his weapons powering up.

"If you fire those, the recoil will send you flying right out the viewport," Twilight pointed out.

Robo-Skidd powered down his weapons. "Welcome back, guys-guys-guys." Apparently, his voice skip hadn't been addressed.

Sasha breathed a sigh of relief as she led the others out from their hiding places behind various consoles, each of them heavily armed. Helga had swapped one of her arms for a flame thrower, while Al had Mega-Turrets on a backpack, keyed to a control pad in his hands and an ammo supply in the backpack. "You guys made it just in time," Sasha admitted. "I don't know how much longer we would have held out."

"You held out long enough," Ratchet confirmed. "That's all that was needed. Any progress with the data disc, Al?"

"A bit difficult to work with all the gunfire," Al pointed out. "I'm not used to these conditions. But...I managed to pull it off."

"The disc contains a complete copy of Nefarious' battle plan," Sasha explained. "He's going to attack planet after planet leaving nothing but his robotic slaves in his wake. The bio-bliterator is so well protected, he doesn't believe we can stop it."

"Then we'll just have to prove him wrong," Twilight replied.

"The bio-bliterator is programmed to recharge its power cells after each attack," Al pointed out. "That's probably the only time it's even close to being vulnerable."

"It's recharging at a base on Planet Koros as we speak," Sasha pointed out. "And...the next target...is Veldin."

As Ratchet's brow furrowed, Twilight blinked. "So...the final battle's going to take place in our backyard again?" she asked. "But the repair crew just finished rebuilding our house, and I already paid the bill!"

For a long moment, everyone was silent. Then the entire bridge burst into laughter.

"Well we can't let Nefarious break our house again, then, can we?" Ratchet joked. "Repair crews don't give refunds, and I haven't gotten any homeowners insurance."

"Then we'd best not let Nefarious get that far," Clank added.

In high spirits and confidence, Ratchet and his team made their way to Koros.

PreviousChapters Next