• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 19,461 Views, 1,847 Comments

The Great Brony Migration - Laichonious the Grey



The bronies of Earth are forced to flee to Equestria in order to find peace.

  • ...
103
 1,847
 19,461

On the Ninth Day: Canterlot

Cereal Velocity, Steward of the Bronies and formerly head of Equestrian Innovations, stared out of the window of his accommodations high in the guest wing of the Royal Palace. From this vantage, he could see out over the grand city of Canterlot to the hills and vales westward to Ponyville. Seth snored obnoxiously behind him. Equestrian ideas of propriety were certainly odd. Well perhaps not odd. It was different to say the least. For several years, they had been living in a coed fashion, not by choice. For the past two years he had been around Phoe and Seth constantly and the other bronies had shared their living spaces similarly while they were in hiding. In becoming ponies, certain things seemed silly to keep observing.

Still he would have preferred to room with Phoe, she at least was quiet. Seth gave another snort. Cereal’s ear twitched. “Alright, Seth. Time to get up.” He wheeled from the window and plodded over to the beds. “C’mon, Seth,” he growled at the lump of blankets.

“Gummmble fmMmm... mummummm,” the lump replied.

Cereal snorted. “What was that, Seth?” He prodded at the lump with a hoof, receiving only a few more grunts in return. “Really, Seth? We’re in Canterlot and you’re just gonna lie there?”

“Mmm... I got a trick for you too, Trixie... hehe...” Seth’s muffled voice slurred out of the mass of sheets.

“You want a trick?” Cereal snickered, his horn gathering a faint light. “Hows about this?” He closed his eyes, following Twilight’s instructions, and cleared his mind. He reached out with the leylines that gathered to his horn, feeling out the contents of the room and isolating the object he wanted to manipulate. He singled out the mattress of the bed because it was larger and therefore easier to get by itself. He severed the unused leylines that trailed off to various things nearby and focused his attention. This was the tricky part. He called more magic to his command, he wasn’t sure how exactly, and pushed the magic at the mattress. A soft grunt issued from him as the mattress pushed back, resisting his command to move. Cereal took a deep breath and summoned more magic, twirling the leylines in to chords that he could use to channel more power.

In his mind’s eye he could see the magic leylines, running from his horn, to the mattress, back to his horn and then off into a distant origin that was always out of sight. They seemed to come from every direction, like his horn was a focal point and yet, he felt like they all came from a central source. Another experimental push on the mattress met with little resistance. He opened his eyes, confident that he had gathered enough energy to do what he wanted; to ruin Seth’s Trixie dream. With a final mighty mental shove he flung the amassed magic at the mattress, violently flipping it onto its side.

“Shiiiiiii- oof!” the Seth-ball of blankets cried as it flew from the mattress to the floor in an impressive arc. The light blue aura vanished from the mattress as Cereal laughed at the tangled mess. The ball of sheets writhed on the floor for a few moments before a hoof appeared, followed by an annoyed Seth face, resplendent in a bed-head of red mane. “You tryin’ to kill me, dude?” he grumbled.

This only made Cereal laugh harder. “As if I could injure the ‘Great and Powerful Sethisto’. Ha! You should thank me for ending your little dream before Trixie made mincemeat out’a you.”

Seth untangled himself from the rest of the blankets, kicking them aside. “You mark my words, Cereal Velocity,” he said, jabbing the air with an admonishing hoof, “one of these days I’ll find her. And when I do, nothing can stop me!” When Cereal laughed rather than being cowed, Seth stomped the floor with a huff.

Cereal wiped a tear from one eye. “Ooohooo, you’re a hoot, Seth. Stop you doing what, exactly? I can only imagine a few things that Trixie’s lack of appearance would stop you from doing and that is a road better left untraveled.”

“Mock all you want, Steward. I’m happy to dream while the reins pass to other hooves.” Seth tried to force his mane into some semblance of order, unsuccessfully.

The mirth of only a moment before met an early demise at this remark. Cereal could almost feel anew the invisible mantle that fell on him the day Celestia named him Steward of the Bronies. “Look, Seth... you’re not mad at me are you? I mean, for kind of taking over, uh, everything.”

Seth stopped attacking his mane long enough to shoot a raised eyebrow at him from under his foreleg. “A little late to be askin’ if I’m mad, dude. If I was, you’d know, trust me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Pish! You took over like two years ago, when we decided to come to Equestria. It was kinda your show, man. I don’t mind.” He turned to the window. “I ran EqD for almost eight years. And even then I was more of a glorified coordinator, y’know? But... everything changed that night when Phoe almost died. When we all got close to biting the dust. It was out of my hands by then.” The silence stretched in the thin morning light.

Cereal remembered that night. It haunted his dreams from time to time, a constant reminder of what could have been. It seemed so long ago, a lifetime and a world away. A soft knock broke the silent spell. “Come in!” Cereal called to the door. He turned just in time to see Phoe’s face pop into existence, completely expressionless. “So... how long have you been listening, Phoe?”

Her eyes widened for a split second before narrowing dangerously. She tilted her head to the side in a haughty manner as she practically high-stepped into the room. “I don’t eavesdrop, Cereal. And if you must know, I was there only long enough to hear you two ramble about who’s in charge. Honestly, you sound like old war vets the way you talk about the flash mob night. Look, you’re doin’ it again, you scowl like a soldier with PTSD.”

“Of all the ponies here, Phoe--” Seth started, but she wasn’t about to let him get a hoof in the door.

“Yeah, yeah, I should be the most grateful. I can’t thank you enough for saving my life. But you guys are missing the point, I think.” She shook her head. “The past is the past. It’s far away and it can’t hurt us anymore.” She flexed her wings then fluttered over to the window, sweeping a hoof across the picturesque view, “Just look at where we are! Equestria, the land of our dreams!” She looked over her shoulder at them, her face open and smiling. “Don’t bring old nightmares into it, okay?”

Three tiny chimes wavered in the air from a silver clock on the mantle of the fireplace, the third hour from sunrise. Cereal once again felt the burden of his responsibilities. In ten minutes’ time, they were to be at the High Court, to present the bronies to the Court of Canterlot for a formal acceptance as citizens of Equestria. He looked to his friends. Even though they had no direct part to play in this presentation, they both adopted determined expressions. “Shall we?” Cereal gestured to the open door.

Phoe nodded, once again flying back to the door as Seth stood. Phoe stood by the door, gave him a small bow and said, “After you, fearless leader.” Cereal chuckled and rolled his eyes at her as he passed.

In the hall, four members of the Royal Guard waited to escort them to the Grand Throne Room. The little company walked through the beautiful halls of the palace in silence. Cereal tried to think about what he was going to say to the Court, but the majesty of his surroundings distracted him. The palace was one huge, seamless sculpture of brilliant white stone. He had never seen its likeness anywhere, not even in his most fanciful dreams. The stone was not white by virtue of its color alone, rather it glowed with an inner light from countless flecks of gemstone and pearl. The air itself seemed to hum with a vibrancy that infected him with joy. The decorations of the halls, no matter how simple these halls were in the guest’s quarters, was of the finest workmanship. Nothing, no expense or the minutest of detail, was spared in their placement or construction. If he were to imagine a place more perfect, he wouldn’t do the palace justice. It truly was the home of goddesses, a temple of sorts, made to reflect and enhance their beauty and power.

They turned down another hallway and three identical sighs of awe echoed in the great hall. Grand white columns grew from the intricate mosaic flooring like ancient white trees. They were carved with such care that Cereal could actually see a wood grain, he would almost believe that they were once trees now turned to stone. Their marble branches gleamed in the light as they held up a ceiling of ocean waves frozen in time. The stone froth of petrified surf was filled with topaz and blue glass, bathing the expanse in a soft blue light splintered by tiny rainbows. Between the column trees, the walls held stained glass renditions of important scenes from Equestrian history. They passed beneath the gazes of ancient heroes and under the shadows of Equestria’s darkest hours.

The anxiety that Cereal had felt since waking started to take on a new dimension. It was a strange mixture of excitement, determination and hope with a smattering of fear. The presentation to the Court today was only a formality; the Princesses had already placed the refugees under their personal protection. What was he afraid of?

All thought vanished. The great hall and its wonders of stone were no more. A high pitched ringing filled his ears, so loud, it made his eyes water. He would have cried out in pain if he could find his voice. His horn vibrated, shaking his eyes in their sockets and sending waves of numbness down his back.

Plock! “Cereal! Cereal Velocity? You in there?” Plock, plock, plock.

Cereal blinked. Phoe sat on her haunches in front of him, her hooves poised to clap once again in front of his nose. “What?” Cereal asked, staring cross eyed at the hooves in front of him.

She lowered her hooves, not quite satisfied that he had returned to the world of the living. “You and Seth, that’s what. Is this going to be a thing for you guys? I’m not gonna catch you when you faint like some prissy girl--”

“Wait, what? Who fainted? I didn’t.” Seth slouched, his head low to the ground as he sat on one side like he was in the midst of picking himself up. One of the Guards lent him a shoulder to help him up the rest of the way.

“Ah huh,” was all Phoe deemed to say as she turned back to the massive red and gold door to the Grand Throne Room.

“I just tripped, Phoe,” Seth said.

“What ever you say, Sethisto.” It was hard to tell sometimes when Phoe was being sarcastic. Cereal had known her for several years and even so, now was one of those times. Seth turned his head a little to glare at her but didn’t pursue the argument. Instead he addressed Cereal.

“Do you think the buffer is wearing off? I mean, they’re just on the other side those doors.”

Cereal shook his head and started walking again. “No. That was something else. It didn’t feel good at all. Besides, we’ve been working with magic for a whole week and a lot of that time with the Princesses and nothing has happened before.”

They stopped in front of the ornate doors. Two of the guards stepped forward and in unison, knocked twice. A few moments passed before the distinctive voices of both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna called out. “Enter!”

The doors were enveloped by magical auras summoned by the two guards, swinging open silently. Golden light spilled from the doorway, mixing with the soft blue of the hall. The throne room was a long oval, the narrow ends situated at the hall and behind the dais that held two magnificent thrones. Cereal’s eyes went straight to the princesses, everything in the room seemed built to point at them.

Celestia sat upon a throne of gold chased ivory, the symbol of the sun high above her head atop the elaborately carved back. Ivory lightning radiated from the golden sun, intertwining with wisps of what looked like real cloud. Little pinpricks of flame danced around the Princess of the Sun, winking in and out of existence while riding the ever present but untouchable currents that caused her mane to flow around her. Any light that fell into the nebulous hair was shattered into brilliant colors in a manner that glass and gems could only dream.

Luna sat on a silver chased ebony throne that was as dark as Celestia’s was bright. A silver crescent moon was set into the solid back of the throne. Silver spirals and mazes surrounded it and flowed down to the ruby inlaid feet. Ephemeral magenta and royal blue nebulae swirled about the Princess of the Night, lending a shadow to her countenance. With every gentle wave of her midnight mane, Cereal could see into the vast reaches of a star-strewn sky.

The dais upon which they sat was a construction of roughly hewn red-veined marble that put the feet of the thrones just above eye level. A small moat surrounded the dais fed by a fountain that gurgled pleasantly behind the Sisters Royal. Cereal, Seth and Phoe stepped forward into the chamber, their hoofsteps muffled by a thick azure rug. A few whispers and mutterings drew Cereal’s attention to the rest of the room. To his right and left were a set of raised seats made out of a dark wood that gleamed with polish. The seats were contained by carved railings not unlike stadium bleachers, three rows deep. The delegates of the High Court watched as the three humans-become-ponies walked slowly to an elevated platform of stone inlaid with a curious design. As Cereal got closer, he noticed that it looked like an alchemical symbol, several circles within circles surrounded by triangles and octagons interspersed with a lettering he did not recognise.

The delegates of the Court were unicorns, pegasi and earthponies, an equal number of each tribe present. It suddenly occurred to him that their own delegation, he, Seth and Phoe, had no earthpony representative. Too late now. His hoofsteps rang loud and intrusive on the stone platform. Seth and Phoe stood to either side of it, gazing determinedly at the Princesses on their thrones. Celestia raised a golden shod hoof and tapped three times on a crystal pedestal standing between the thrones. The pedestal rang true as a perfect bell, a light tone that sounded at once as if from a gong as it did from a trumpet or violin or flute. The three ponies at the center of the room bowed deeply to the immortal diarchs.

“Rise, Cereal Velocity, Steward of the Bronies,” Luna commanded. “Rise, Sethisto and Phoe, Emissaries of the Court.” Cereal straightened from his bow, holding his head high and trying to impart strength and resolve to his stance. Luna rose from her throne and spread her wings wide. “You, and those who follow you, known as the Bronies, came here as strangers, as refugees. You came to Equestria by means of an unknown magic, heavy laden with destiny on your backs. You came in the night and so I, Luna of the Night, do claim right and prerogative over your lives.” She turned to the crystal pedestal and tapped it once with a platinum shod hoof. Luna turned again to the center of the room.

“From this day forth, let it be known that the Bronies are subject to me. From this day forth, let it be known that the one called Cereal Velocity is my right hoof, mouthpiece and envoy.” Again, the dark Princess tapped the crystal. No sooner had its enchanting tone dissipated than another proclamation rang through the massive chamber. “On this day and forever after, let it be known that they and their descendants are citizens of Equestria. They are bound by its laws, tied to its land and one with its heart.” A third toll of the crystal filled his ears, in it he could hear Luna’s words echo.

Celestia stood, unfurling her white wings. She alighted from the dais to walk around the grey unicorn, the yellow unicorn and the white pegasus. “I, Celestia of the Day.” Her ancient voice infused the air with energy, making the stone beneath Cereal’s hooves hum along to her words. “Do hear and support my sister, Luna of the Night.” She came to a stop in front of him. With his gaze held firmly in her own she intoned, “Cereal Velocity, do you solemnly swear to hold true to the responsibilities of Steward?”

A hundred questions and fears raced through his head even as he uttered, “I do.”

Celestia placed a hoof on one of the letters carved into the platform. The thin circle running through the letter filled with light as she removed her hoof and again spoke. “Cereal Velocity, do you solemnly swear to uphold the laws and ideals of Equestria?”

The laws he knew very little of and the ideals he could imagine, “I do.”

A second then third letter came to life with the same light as the first. “As you remain true to your oaths, Cereal Velocity, special rights, privileges and powers will be granted you.” The light of the circle bled out to the other etchings, spreading and changing color from a brilliant white to a deep blue. The stone hummed louder beneath him. “Delegates of the High Court,” she called, not breaking eye contact with him, “Voices of the Tribes, what say ye?”

He saw movement from the corner of his eye and heard a rustling, but could not break the hold of Celestia’s eyes, he dared not even blink. “The Pegasus Tribe,” a deep voice from his right announced, “accepts his oath.” Another rustle of ponies standing came from his left. “The Unicorn Tribe accepts his oath.” A breathy female voice answered. Finally from behind Celestia, the earthponies stood, their number split between the right and left sides of the room. A thin, reedy male voice answered Celestia’s query. “The Earthpony Tribe accepts his oath.”

Luna descended from the dais and joined her sister before the platform. As one they proclaim, “So be it!” They lowered their horns to his shoulders as the light from the platform intensified, washing over him like an ocean wave. In an instant, the light was gone and the stone quiet once more. The throne room filled with applause from the gathered delegates, stomping on the floors of the wooden bleachers.

Seth and Phoe joined in, Cereal pounded on the stone with one hoof as well. He smiled but it felt stretched. He breathed heavily, feeling as though his body was being pressed on all sides. Celestia smiled at him warmly before turning to the assembled Court. “Official Court business has concluded, my friends.” The applause died down. “You may speak with Phoe and Sethisto here. Luna and I must speak with Cereal. If you will excuse us.” The members of the Court as well as Phoe and Seth, bowed to the princesses in acceptance. Celestia and Luna walked around the platform.

“Come, Cereal. There is much to discuss.” Luna bade him. He stepped from the platform and walked stiffly to them. Just before they left the throne room, he shot an encouraging smile back at his friends. They waved in return as the large doors swung shut.