• Published 21st Aug 2014
  • 628 Views, 11 Comments

Swapped Sides - JetWave Wavewind



It was an average Saturday for Jack as he lounged at home. And yes, this is one of those stories where a human goes to Equestria. Written between seasons 2 & 3 and only roughly edited for spelling for grammar

  • ...
13
 11
 628

Sleepables

Standing in front of a small oven, a gray coated mare with an eye that never looked directly at you was cleaning up from the nights dinner when a knock came at the door of her meager abode. She crossed the small distance from the stove to the door with a few hoof-trots to find the strangest of creatures looking down on her through the door. It was so weird looking, it was almost like a monkey but it only had hair on top of its head and had a different set of appendages at the ends of its hind legs. She wondered for a second if all of its hair had gone to its head because it had enough to drape down to its eyebrows, then she noticed that it was also wearing clothes, something that no normal monkey would do. It was wearing a pair of black flip-flops, orange shorts, and a sweat-stained button down flannel. It looked as though it was about to speak but never got the chance as the door was slammed in its face with a shriek. Inside the cabin, a young unicorn filly had just been woken up by her mothers shriek.

"What is it mamma?" the unicorn asked. She was answered by being scooped up in her mothers hooves and carried to hide in the corner.

"Hush Dinky, there's a monster out there!" her mother replied.

"All the way from the Everfree?" Dinky asked.

"I can't think of anywhere else a monster could come from." there was another knock at the door. "You see?!" Dinky's mother pointed out as she and Dinky looked out the window.

"Whats with all the commotion?.." A brown stallion asked as he came into the living room, having just been woken up. He was greeted with a gigantic hug from the wall eyed mare half in affection, half in seeking refuge. "There's a MONSTER out there!!" she cried into his collar.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of it" he said as he pried her off of him and pulled out a peculiar looking device. As he looked out the window he couldn't help but let out a laugh that made Dinky's mother's face flush in frustration as he put the device away. "That's no monster." He chuckled as he opened the door. "I'm terribly sorry about before sir, is there any way we can assist you?" he asked.

"Umm.. yeah, I was wondering if it would be ok if I could stay the night here, as long as it isn't too much trouble." I said looking towards the wall-eyed mare warily.

"No trouble at all! Come in!" He said as he stepped aside to let me in.

I came into a small living room with a stove on the far right wall from where you come in through the front door, three small couches around a circular coffee table to the left, a hall leading back to where I assumed the bedrooms and bathroom were, and a simple clock above the stove. In the corner made by two of the couches closest to the window I saw the mare from before cowering with who I assumed to be her filly. "Have a seat, I'm sure that after today you must be tired if my guess as to where you come from is right." the brown stallion said as he gestured for me to have a seat on one of the couches. I sat on the one closest to the door, noting that it had clearly not been made for someone my size. The wall eyed mare got up and scooted towards the corner at the back of the house away from me, the young filly simply got up and took a seat at the couch across the coffee table from mine.

"Again, sorry about before." the stallion said with a sigh as he shut the door.

"Oh no, it's quite alright." I replied lightheartedly

"Good, good." He answered with a smile. "Anyways, I suppose introductions are in order." he said as he sat down on the couch adjacent to mine "My name is Time Turner, though people have taken to calling me Doctor Whooves." He chuckled as he gestured to himself.

"This is Derpy Hooves-"

"I told you I don't like being called that!" Derpy interrupted.

"Ah, she speaks!" Turner quipped, motioning for her to come have a seat by him; which she did grudgingly until he nuzzled her cheek, causing her to lighten up as she nuzzled back. I saw the young filly making barfing motions at the unfolding scene.

"As I was saying, this is Derpy." He whispered something in her ear after introducing her a second time which caused her to close her eyes and wrap a wing around him with a smile. "And the one pretending to puke over there is Dinky." Turner smirked as Dinkey straightened up after being pointed out.

"Hi." She said.

"Hello." I responded.

"So what can we call you? I highly doubt your name is human." Turner asked.

"Heheh, My name is Jack. It's very nice to meet you all."

"It's very nice to meet you too now that I know that you're not going to eat us!" Derpy said with a smile.

"Quite the change of heart?" Turner quipped. This earned him a jab in the side and a giggle from me and Dinky. "So I take it from your wife's reaction that humans aren't very common here?" This almost placed a look of horror on his face while it placed one of sheer joy on Derpy's as she tackled him in a hug. Dinky simply face-hoofed at this.

"We.. actually aren't married." Turner said, now on the floor under Derpy.

"Oh, could of fooled me." I said. This seemed to only make Derpy hug tighter. "Anyways, as for your question.... Good grief! Is that the time?" Turner said as he caught eye of the clock. It read somewhere around one-thirtyish.

"Well, you know what they say, 'tick tock goes the clock'!" He said as he climbed up out of Derpy's grasp with a bit of effort. "I'll answer any questions you have in the morning, but for now we should all go to bed." He said as he got everyone herded down the hallway "You can sleep on any of the couches out here, I'll bring you a pillow and blanket to use"

"Thank you, Turner. Good night"

"Turner.. I like it!" He said as he went back to his room.

As I waited for him to come back with some sleepables, I looked around the room. It was a nice little place, there was a window next to the door where I came in and one on the wall to the left overlooking the silhouette of a small shed outside. The stove was a simple gas stove with four burners and a pot sitting on one of them. As I was looking around, Derpy flew in with my sleepables. "Thank you." I said with a smile as she handed them to me.

"Tomorrow, I had better learn just as much about you as you do about us before you expect get one Muffin out of me." she said with a serious tone and face as she stared a hole into me with one eye and one into the wall with the other before flying off to her room. I was sort of confused but I decided to shrug it off for the night and get some sleep.