• Published 19th Sep 2014
  • 334 Views, 2 Comments

The Messenger - Mindhawk



A young man from a time not so long ago has a special task given to him, in order to prevent a war which could destroy both Humans, and ponies

  • ...
3
 2
 334

Introduction

Introduction
My dear family. You once asked me many years ago about where I went, about what happened in my adventures. And while every word I told you was in fact true, I didn’t tell you the whole truth.

I’m old now, I’m not the young naïve man I once was, so full of innocence and hope, with not much to go on aside from what little I knew of the world at that time. I think it’s now the time, to tell you all, what really happened.

It began, a long time ago. In a land filled with beauty, wonder, and magic. A place, the likes of which could never exist in the world today. The land of Equestria, a world filled not with the cruelty and dishonour of man, but of the hope and love of its native inhabitants, ruled under a great kingdom, Canterlot. Reigned by the wisest and greatest of all its rulers, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna. And it was under their rule, for over a millennia, that this great and prosperous land lived in peace and harmony. Their cities teaming with the contagious elements of happiness and laughter, and throughout the land, everyone was happy. It was told by the great princesses that their reign would last throughout the entirety of existence, that they were destined to watch over the land for all of time. Princess Celestia, the eldest of the two, controlled the rising and setting of the sun, watching over the ponies of this world by day. And her sister, Princess Luna, would watch and protect her subjects in the night, protecting them from the nightmares that may haunt them in their sleep.

But these happy times would not last forever, for when Luna came to be, the ponies of this world didn’t seem to worship the night as much as they did the day time like her sister, but instead slept through the beauty of the night she had created for them to enjoy. This realisation festered within the fair princess’s mind, poisoning her judgement, turning into an unfathomable jealousy, the likes of which would consume the princess, changing her into the being of hate known as nightmare moon, declaring that she will never again lower the moon, that the world be covered in the darkness of night for all eternity. Seeing what her sister had become, Princess Celestia, through great sacrifice and power of will, banished her sister to the core of the moon in the sky, imprisoning her underneath its cold surface, never again unleashing her new found evil upon the world. And for one thousand years, the Princess Celestia would control both the rise and set of the sun and moon, but in those thousand years, she never forgot the princess she banished to a cold and lonely prison, feeling a deep sorrow for the sister she felt she abandoned to the furthest reaches of the moon. She could never forgive what she had to do, and she never forgot.

A thousand years passed, and the legend of the mare in the moon withered over the time, only to be recounted in passages of ancient books and scrolls, to be read over and remembered by those who wished to lose themselves in the magic of these lands. That, is when she came. A young mare, known to her family and friends, as the young Twilight Sparkle, a student of the Princess of the sun. A most faithful and intelligent young unicorn, she was known for her great intelligence, and talents in the ways of magic. It was only after her reading of the legend of nightmare moon, that she felt a dark presence in the lands that enveloped the capital, and it was this darkness that caused her to have nightmares of a shadowy figure, speaking of her return to the world of Equestria, dooming the land to a nightfall for all eternity. She warned the princess to prepare, for whatever was about to happen. But the princess had other plans for our young heroin. She was to be sent to the town of ponyville, a simple community, filled with wonderful, and beautiful ponies of all races, living together in a perfect harmony.

There lived the Unicorns, magical and powerful beings, Pegasus’s who ruled the skies, and earth ponies, the strongest both physically and mentally, who tended to the fields.

It was here where the young pony met her closest, and dearest friends, the elements of harmony. A bonding of which would change the course of Equestria, for all of time. There was Applejack, a farmer pony, hailing from the territory of Sweet apple acres, she represented the element of Honesty. Pinkie Pie, an earth pony who never seemed to let the sadness of the world let her spirits down, and she represented the element of laughter. There were two Pegasus’s, the first being Rainbow Dash, a tomboyish cyan coloured pony who couldn’t keep still for one minute without feeling the need to stretch her wings, clearing the skies for all of ponyville of any clouds that blocked out their perfect days in the sun and moon, she represented the element of loyalty. The second was Fluttershy, a simple and kind Pegasus who preferred the company of animals to that of other ponies, she represented the element of kindness. And then there was the second unicorn in this small group was Rarity, an elegant and very etiquette unicorn who seemed to have a great talent in the world of fashion and style.

It wasn’t long after until, it happened. A storm of darkness the likes that this land had never seen before descended upon this town, for Nightmare moon had returned, seeking revenge against the one who kept her for all those years, in a sorrowful and lonely prison. She took up residence in the princess’s old castle, residing in the everfree Forest, a dark and mysterious place, where magic, and bad things reside, where anything could happen. It was only together, that these six unlikely guardians where able to unlock their hidden potential, and by wielding the six mystical gems of the elements of harmony, were able to finally defeat Nightmare moon, transforming the princess back to her original state. She was returned to her former self, and joyfully reunited with Princess Celestia, and throughout the land, everyone was happy.

Time had passed, and the mane six would continue to change the course of history, with such great adventures, such as the defeat of Discord, the lord of chaos, the defeat of Princess Chrysalis and her changeling army, the return of the crystal empire along with the defeat of the dark lord Sombre, and the wedding of the prince Shining Armour and Princess Cadence. Throughout these adventures, Twilight had learned the value of friendship, and it was thanks to her friends, and the tutoring of Princess Celestia, that she became the great Princess Twilight Sparkle. The world had a new princess, and it seemed as if this peace would never again be forgotten. But, deep within the shadows, an ancient enemy lay in wait, watching, plotting its return, regaining its full strength. Waiting for the perfect opportunity, to exact its intentions to conquer this land, and all those who lay their hooves upon it.

That, is where I come in. For quite by chance, it appears that fate had decided that I should play a part in this tale. It started, as you might expect, in a field. Not a ponies field which would be filled with hay and flowers, this was a humans home, in the world you see it as today, only from a time before many people could recall. In a town, far from the borders of any dark grey city, or any noise of which would ruin the tranquil atmosphere. With a quaint stone house in a little town, surrounded by green fields and rolling hills, a sky of which can be seen for miles around, and the sounds of the air were filled with that of birds and the rustling of branches and leaves on the trees. This was a peaceful and prosperous part of the world, and yet far beyond that of anything very interesting happening. The life of a farmer is one that doesn’t really play into anything adventurous, or even magical for that matter. We are a simple folk, living off the salt of the earth, highly respected by all those we encounter for our kindness and hardworking hands. Our lives were completely ordinary in our case, and nothing strange, ever happened.

Author's Note:

This is my first attempt, and yes it's still a work in progress. Thank you for reading, I'd love to hear any comments you may have :)