• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 372 Views, 7 Comments

Beacon - shadeofthenight



Innocence and ignorance make the best disguises for whatever lies beneath.

  • ...
1
 7
 372

The Mare in the Moon

“-and Harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.” Twilight finished, moving onto the next page of the book. The picture of the Elements of Harmony intrigued her. There were six gems of different color, surrounded with a ring of patterned gold.

“Hmmm, Elements of Harmony, I know I’ve heard of those before.” Twilight mused, tapping a hoof on her chin in thought.

“But where?” She wondered.


“So I’m going to Ponyville this year to help set up the celebration of the Summer Sun Celebration?” Beacon relayed back to his mother.

Celestia nodded,”Yes, I figured it might be a good time for you to leave the political strife of the courts for a little bit, and makes some friends.”

“But...I already have friends!” Beacon protested, not wanting to leave his home.

Celestia chuckled,”Besides Twilight, can you tell me who else you have been hanging around with in the library?”

“I…..” He stuttered.

Celestia nuzzled her son affectionately,”Twilight will be going as well, so you’ll have someone to talk to while you get settled for the time being.”

“Really?” Beacon asked, losing some of his reluctance. His milky white eyes seem to glow a little bit.

Celestia nodded,”Yes. I believe it’s time for her to start to make friends as well.”

Beacon frowned. It seemed like a fairly weak reason for his best friend to go. There must be a different reason for Twilight to be going, though he wasn’t complaining. Having another pony to talk about spells, and other subjects was a relief to him. They both had different views on spells and history, which led to some pretty good debates between the two.

Beacon’s pondering was interrupted by a letter flying in, via dragonfire. Immediately he know from the tint of the coloring that it was Spike, Twilight’s assistant baby dragon. His mother opened it up, frowned, then teleported it away.

Beacon was surprised. He had never seen his mother do that to one of Twilight’s letters before. Perhaps his friend was just as reluctant to go as he was? Celestia produced a quill and paper, wrote a rather long response, and then sent it away. Turning her attention back to her son, her smile returned.

“Beacon, it will only be until the Gala comes around. Don’t worry, if you feel like you need to talk to me, just send me a letter and I will write back immediately.” She soothed.

“Well…..Okay Mom, I’ll go.” Beacon gave in. Until the Gala didn’t seem too bad. Plus he had Twilight to talk to as well during that time. It wouldn’t be that bad.

“Thank you. The carriage to take you and Twilight is by the northern barracks entrance. I have told the mayor of Ponyville to expect you to be there, but she told me that she didn’t have anymore available housing since Twilight took the library, but I told her you could make one yourself using your magic.”

Beacon nodded in agreement. If there was one thing he had become unrivaled in with magic, it was mastering the primal elements of the world. Making a simple house would be a fairly easy task for him.

“I’d better get going. I love you Mom.” Beacon sighed, still not wanting to go. Celestia wrapped her wings around her son and pulled him into one last hug.

“I love you too, and I’m proud of you for going.” She whispered in his ear before they broke away. She gave Beacon a motherly kiss before he broke into a gallop towards the barracks, his face starting to get red.


Celestia watched him go, the spell she had secretly cast on him taking effect. The spell would allow her to moniter her son’s soul, and its connection to those things. IF there was any disturbance, it would let her know. Celestia closed her eyes, and left Beacon’s room. The reason she was sending Beacon to Ponyville was to test to see if her sister’s return would have any effect on those things that orbited his soul. IF anything should happen, then Twilight and the Elements would be there to step in. Celestia had faith in her student to protect her son should anything happen. If all went according to her plan, her sister would be returned to normal, and she gain valuable information about the objects around Beacon’s soul, since normal examinations revealed nothing, even to a goddess like herself.

“Stay safe my son….” She whispered.


“-so I’m sending you and Beacon to supervise the Summer Sun Celebration in this years location: Ponyville.” Spike read aloud from the letter. Twilight sat towards the left side of the golden chariot, her front hooves hanging off the railing as she grumbled inaudibly. Beacon was to the right, admiring the changing scenery as they flew. He never been outside of Canterlot before, so this was fairly new to him. At times he would gawk at the rivers, different trees, and noticeable wildlife. Unlike Twilight, Beacon was now enjoying the trip. HIs mood brightened considerably more when he saw the town. It was completely different from the city! The houses looked rustic and cozy with their design and-was that a bakery made of CAKE?!

“And, I have an even more essential task for you to complete: Make some friends!” Spike finished with a flourish.

Beacon heard Twilight groan as they began to descend. While he would have shared that groan with her, he had never experienced ponies that were not the nobles of Canterlot, so perhaps he could open up a small amount for the time being anyway.

“Look on the bright side Twilight, the princess arranged for you to stay in a library! Doesn’t that make you happy?” Spike pleaded, trying to put his friend in a good mood. Then a thought crossed his mind,”Say Prince Beacon, where are you going to stay?” he asked.

Beacon turned his attention to the small drake,”Probably close by, though I will have to find ample to room to build my house after all the celebration is over.” He replied, inwardly looking forward to the chance to show off what he learned to do.

Spike laughed,”Oh yeah, I forgot that you could do that now. I can’t wait to see it for myself!’ Beacon smiled. Spike had always been excited to see new spells being performed by both him and Twilight.

“Actually Beacon, after we finish checking to make sure the celebration is ready, could you meet me in the library? I need you to help me with something important.” Twilight had turned away from the ledge, and was staring at him with an expression that betrayed a little bit of hopefulness.

Beacon nodded,”Of course Twilight, what is it you need my help with? He asked, a little curious.

“Oh she believes that some old prophecy about Nightmare Moon’s return is about to come true tonight.” Spike immediately responded before Twilight could answer.

Beacon did not reply, feeling something build up inside of him…..His vision went red for a second as he felt whatever it was charge up an incredible amount of not magic, but power, however it quickly dissipated. His vision refocused on Twilight, who was looking at him expectantly. He had to respond quickly, he could think about it later.

“Why would you think that prophecy would come true?” He asked her, raising an eyebrow.

Twilight huffed,”Because I read about it the ancient book of prophecies! It wouldn’t have been in there if it wasn’t going to come true! Beacon, you believe I’m right, don’t you?”

Beacon briefly mulled over this. As long as he had known Twilight, she had always been obsessed with being right about everything factual and magic. Whenever she found a source was wrong, she went searching for a different one. If she had pulled the prophecy from the book Spike had mentioned, then….Perhaps she was right. However, Beacon wondered how somepony would miss something like that.

Beacon gave her a small smile and nodded,”Yeah, I believe you Twilight.”

“Really?!” Spike sputtered, shocked.

Beacon nodded, but was cut off from proving belief by the chariot landing. Twilight hopped off and thanked them both before turning back to him.

“Don’t worry, I won’t forget.” Beacon assured her before she could say anything. Twilight smiled and nodded in agreement before turning away from the chariot to leave. Beacon closed his eyes as he listened to Spike plead and ask her about making friends. The only things he learned were a shy, “Hello…” followed by a loud gasp. Getting off the chariot, he nodded to the guards, who bowed respectfully, then headed towards the town center, where he saw a group of Earth Ponies discussing something.


The town center was fairly noticeable, since it towered over the rest of the structures. A large tower dominated its center, and a darkish tan Earth Pony mare with a grey mane and glasses was speaking to other Earth Ponies with construction hats. One of the Earth Ponies, a red stallion who towered over the rest, nudged the grey maned pony and gestured to him. The mare turned around, her eyes widened, and she hastily bowed.

“Prince Beacon, it is honor to meet you.” She spoke with the voice of somepony moving past their prime.

“The pleasure is mine.” He replied,”I assume you are the mayor of Ponyville?”

She rose, nodding,” Yes I am Your Highness. My name Is Mayor Mare.”

Beacon smiled,”Nice to meet you. How are the preparations coming along?” He asked, a little anxious to speak to Twilight about Nightmare Moon.

“I’m sure that you will be pleased with what we have planned.” Mayor Mare answered, pride seeping into her voice. “We have spared no expense for this celebration! If you will follow me Your Highness, I will show you some of what we have planned.” She turned towards the other Earth Ponies,”Get the materials for what Princess Celestia requested and meet back here. I”ll give you further instructions when I’m done.” The Earth Ponies nodded and left down one of the main streets of Ponyville. Mayor Mare turned back to face him.

“Right this way Your Highness.” She beckoned him to follower her.


“How are you liking Ponyville so far Your Highness?” The mayor asked them as they trotted along the streets, ponies bustling back and forth, chattering excitedly, and some pointing Beacon’s way.

Beacon chuckled,”Considering I have only been here for about five minutes since I landed with my friends, I would say that it is definitely interesting.”

Mayor Mare arched an eyebrow,”Really?” She inquired.

Beacon nodded,”Yep, i’ve never been outside Canterlot before, so Ponyville is an entirely new experience for me. I will admit though, I was fairly reluctant to leave home at first.”

Mayor Mare laughed softly,”That’s something natural that everypony must go through at some point.”

“Indeed..” Beacon agreed swiftly,”Though most ponies may not admit to those feelings so quickly.”

“It’s only natural, but I’m sure that you did not come here to discuss reluctance and homesickness. “

Beacon smiled and straightened himself a little as they walked,”You’re right. How is the preparation coming along?”

"We have our finest ponies overseeing most of the critical components of the Celebration and we have spared no expense to make sure that the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville will be the most memorable. The-" At this point, Beacon partially tuned out the mayor. He needed to mull something over, and now was as good as time as any. He wanted to know about what he had experienced on the chariot. What had happened? Where had that build up of power come from, and why had his vision reddened? Was it the name Twilight had mentioned earlier? Nightmare Moon?

Almost immediately, Beacon's vision reddened and he felt that surge of power once again. Except this time, he glimpsed something, but only for an instant. It was some form of creature, bipedal, and completely made of the four classical elements, but the image faded before Beacon could gather any more about the creature.

"-best. Don't you think Your Majesty?" Mayor Mare cheerfully asked him. Beacon mentally shook off his shock. She had just finished rambling on about her finest ponies being in charge of the celebration, and had just asked him if he thought so too.

"If you have that much faith in your ponies, then I would have to say yes." Beacon nodded, a little shakily.

"I'm glad you agree!"The old mare seemed to brighten even more before she stopped and gestured to the area in front of her,"Here we are."

Beacon's eyes widened. They were still in the town, but in one of the more open areas in it. A few ponies with hardhats were waiting for them nearby, a wide assortment of building materials nearby. Beacon understood immediately: This was where his house was going to be made.

"Now, the letter from the Princess told us that you would be taking care of the house building yourself, and the only thing you required being made was a door. I was unsure of what she meant by that, so I had these ponies gather the materials just in case." The mayor explained.

Beacon smiled,"That's very generous of you Mayor but I don't need the materials. I'll be able to make the house with my magic." Taking a step forward, he cast a spell that did a brief analysis on the area before him. There was some animal life in the area, but fortunately, it was mainly underground. So that meant.....

Stepping forward, Beacon closed his eyes and concentrated. Calling on his magic, he felt its surge around himself and light his horn as he called on the four classical elements....and brought them into the area for construction.

WHUMPH!

The construction ponies and the mayor jumped back in alarm as a boulder larger than a house appeared out of nowhere. Before they could even twitch, water spouted upward from the ground nearby, flowing against what would be normal for a geyser. The water streamed around the rock and split itself into four streams of equal sizes before stopping just over the house.

By now, more and more ponies had arrived to watch the elemental marvel that was taking place directly in front of them. This quickly turned into fear and astonishment as the four floating streams of water reared back, and shot forward at an impossible speed at the giant boulder. Pieces of rock were flung away from the boulder as the water cut through it, Normally ,these bits of shrapnel would have collided with the flesh of the gathered ponies, but before it could connect, it was stopped and set down gently by winds that had begun bellowing around the site. Slowly, the fear that some had in the display faded, and they began to stare at awe in the spectacle as flames began to dance around the structure. The water's furious attacks ceased, and the geyser that sprouted it vanished, pulling the lasts of its waters in with it. What was left was a stone house, of equal size to the houses around, just without a door and windows. The latter, was fixed almost immediately as the winds that had shielded the crowds from flying shrapnel seem to collect sand out of nowhere. Both the dancing flames and the now sandy winds all converged on the house, engulfing it in a whirlwind. What should have happened was a glass dome should have been made, but instead after the elements dissipated, the only things formed were windows.

Beacon sat down, as the crowd began to cheer in admiration. None of the ponies here had seen a unicorn put together a house with that kind of magic before. However, he didn't hear any of this, nor notice it. What he was seeing, was an inky black void, darker than the blackest cavern. The only sound he heard, were terrified screams, but even they were faint, but they were getting louder. Fear and panic seized him, fear of the unknown and everything that came along with it. These emotions rose within him, until something arrived within his vision. Two eyes, one white, the other crimson, opened up in front of him. The only sound he heard, was the screaming, and it felt like who ever it was was right in front of him, like the eyes were.

Not yet, he isn't ready and the seal is too strong on him right now. The eyes faded, and Beacon was assaulted by the noise of the ponies behind him who were yammering about him.

"I have never seen anyone perform magic like that!" the unmistakable voice of the mayor chirped behind him,"And you don't even look tired!"

It was true, unlike the last few times he had manipulated the classical elements, this time he felt no waves of exhaustion building up inside him. In fact, he felt like he had just finished resting a peaceful nap!

"I don't....understand." He whispered to himself, less about the lack of exhaustion, and more about the vision he just had. What were those eyes? Who was talking? What did the voice mean by he wasn't ready? Where-..

Beacon nearly doubled over as pain lanced through his mind and through his body. His vision went red, not from pain or anything like that. No, it was rage, barely restrained, and enough to consume-.


Celestia dropped the papers from her magic grasp, sensing an alarming build up of raw power. Her eyes widened as she felt its source coming from her son Beacon, and the spell she had cast on him was going insane. Composing herself, she closed her eyes and focused in on the spell. Celestia was greeted by the image of Beacon's soul, which looked no different. The three objects orbiting his soul? They had moved, but at least the seal upon them was keeping-

Celestia gasped and released the spell. Something was affecting the barriers that kept the entities at bay. Could it be-

"Your Majesty?" Celestia turned towards the speaker.

"The chariot is ready to depart to Ponyville for the celebration Your Highness." The blue furred pegasus informed her. Celestia nodded in acknowledgement. This meant that it was time for her to lower the sun. The movement of the entities around her son's soul still bothered her, but she knew that she was already heading to Ponyville. Celestia just hoped that she would get there before Nightmare Moon broke free....


In Ponyville, the sun had already gone down soon after Beacon's spectacular magic display. Beacon himself was heading to the library, where he had promised to meet with Twilight. To his surprise, no pony was following him there, even after he built his house. To give credit where it is owed, the mayor did help clear some of the crowd away, telling them that there was going to be a party later with a pony named Pinkie. Which basically gave him some time to think about the vision and the pain that had pierced his mind as he slowly trotted to the library.

These emotions, they... they burn! It gnaws at my being! Why is this happening?! Beacon winced as pain lanced through him again. I can't take much more of this....maybe Twilight will know. I just have to ask her after we discuss the prophecy thing. Beacon, stopped walking, finally hearing the noise coming from within his destination. The library was a tree, with a house carved into it. A door was at its base, with a balcony hanging overhead to the left. Windows were placed a little spontaneously around the structure, standing out very clearly from the thick bark. Each of the windows glowed with light from the inside, and shadows moved around distorting it. The noise coming from the library, was music, and the excited babbling of other ponies.

Is this...where the party is being held? Beacon wondered before going inside. He knocked at the door, and almost fell over as it was instantaneously opened the moment his first knock landed. He was greeted by a pink blur, who seemed to be under the effects of some strange language spell...Or she was just talking way to fast for him to understand. Recoiling away, Beacon finally saw the pink blur stop moving and talking long enough for him to see what it was. It was an Earth Pony mare, and she was obviously very hyper about something. Her mane was a bit darker than her fur, but it was just so....so poofy! It defied everything he had seen at Canterlot!

"Youdon'ttalkmuchdoyouthat'sokaycuzIcantalkforbothofusI'm-" The pink mare's babbling was lost on Beacon as he went inside, putting "Crazy Talking Mare" under an "Ignore" list. Inside, dozens of ponies were laughing, playing games, and eating. Not something you would expect in a library. Looking around at the assorted ponies, he managed to catch a glimpse of Spike coming down the stairs on the far side of the room, with a very tired and cross Twilight following. Pushing his way through the crowd, he met them both at the bottom of the stairs.

"Beacon!" Twilight gasped, then composed herself,"We need to talk, upstairs. Thank you Spike, for letting me know he was heading here."

"Um...well actually Pinkie was the one who told me he was coming in..." Spike admitted, smiling weakly.

"How did she know that I..." Twilight started, but Beacon waved a hoof in front of her to refocus her attention.

"Twilight, weren't we going to talk about the prophecy?"

"Yea but.....Nevermind, come on upstairs, it's too noisy with all those crazy ponies down there. "Twilight grumbled, heading back up. Beacon followed her, not blaming Spike for wanting to stay in the party. He was still a child after all, dragon or not.

Upstairs in the library was clearly made for living, with a small kitchen, a table and a bedroom tucked off to the side. Twilight had gone over to the window next to the bed, and was staring up into the night sky.

"-the stars will aid in her escape..." She murmured, almost as if she was in a trance. Curious about what she was looking at so intently, Beacon walked up beside her and looked. His eyes grew wide at the stars that were slowly moving towards the moon, with the image of a tall unicorn's head now visible upon it. Twilight seemed to notice this and turned her head to face his.

"Do you see them?" She asked softly.

"So she really is coming back then." He responded, now feeling alarm building up within him.

"To bring about eternal night, unless we find the Elements of Harmony." Twilight responded, moving away from the window and bringing out a book, which Beacon recognized as the Ancient Book of Prophecies.

"The Elements of Harmony?" Beacon asked,"What are those?"

Twilight seemed surprised,"You don't know about them?"

He shook his head,"No, this is the first time I have actually heard about them."


An Hour Later

"-and those are the Elements of Harmony and why it is imperative that we find them!" Twilight exclaimed.

Beacon rubbed his eyes, the lecture Twilight had just given him had somehow made him exceptionally drowsy,"Okay, I understand now, but was the hour long lecture really necessary?" He complained.

Before Twilight could respond, Spike came upstairs with a lampshade on his head.

"Hey Twilight, Beacon! The Celebration is about to start!" He called, sounding a little too happy.

"I'll keep an eye on the moon, if anything happens, let me take care of it." Beacon assured her, even though he still had doubts himself. Now that Twilight's lecture was over, he was still worried about what had happened later that day. If something like that should happen when Nightmare Moon showed up....Beacon shook his head. He couldn't afford to think like that, especially now.....


Twilight filed into the Town Center behind the other ponies, who were all busy admiring the decorations, or whispering rumors to each other. Beacon had been called away, the mayor wanting him to have a special place for the ceremony. Spike was riding on her back, taking in the scenery, not a care in the world.

"Isn't this exciting?!" The pink Earth Pony called Pinkie exclaimed right next to her, making Twilight take a couple steps away from her.

"Areyouexcited,becauseI'mexcitedi'veneverbeensoexcitedinmylife!WellexceptfortimethatIsawyouwalkinginthistownandIwent *gasp* butImeanreally,whocouldtopthat?" She babbled on, never stopping to take a breath at least once. Any further dialogue was thankfully cut off as five birds began to sing in a heralding fashion, the shy yellow pegasus pony Fluttershy conducting them.

A spotlight appeared from the top of the building, traveling all the way down, stopping for a moment on a balcony above that was covered by curtain before arriving on ground level, centered on the mayor.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts!" She proclaimed throughout the congregation of the town, "As mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!" The gathered ponies around Twilight began to cheer wildly, but her attention was focused on the moon. As the mayor went on, Twilight saw the stars that had been moving towards it vanish, along with the Mare in the Moon's face. Ignoring the mayor as she continued, Twilight looked around for Beacon, finding him on the balcony covered by curtains, nearby the white furred unicorn Rarity. His gazed moved to her and he nodded, smiling softly. Despite him assuring her that he would take care of it, Twilight wasn't so sure. He was a powerful unicorn, that was certain. But this was Nightmare Moon, the pony that had originally moved the moon, a goddess! How would he be able to face her?

"-Princess Celestia and her son Beacon!" the Mayor roared out with glee. Rarity pulled the curtains apart and Fluttershy's birds sang in a dramatic fashion to match. Everypony craned their necks or reared up to see their beloved princess. However, soon this turned into confusion, because what they saw was something they did not expect.

There was no pony behind the curtains!

"This can't be good.." Twilight said to herself. Nervous murmuring broke out as the mayor attempted to calm everyone down. Pinkie Pie burst out into what Twilight decided to deem "fits" and claimed that she loved guessing games. Rarity on the other hand, came out from checking in the room below, Beacon not coming back with her, stating every pony's worst fears.

"She's gone!"

"Oooh, She's good!" Pinkie whispered to Twilight, amist the gasping ponies, then gasped at the balcony.

A swirling mist of ominous dark blue was building itself up, causing Rarity to back away from it. Beacon, was still nowhere to be seen. The mist began to form itself into a large alicorn shape.

"Oh no.." Twilight whispered, watching the alicorn's pitch black skin, light blue armor, and swirling star mane finish forming. "Nightmare Moon." Spike took that oppurtunity to promptly faint and fall off her back.

"Oh my beloved subjects!" The Mistress of the Night spoke, with a pleasant voice, "It's been so long since I have seen your previous little, sun-loving faces." She ended with a hiss.

"What did you do with our princess?!" Demanded the mare Twilight recognized as Rainbow Dash. The pegasus attempted to charge Nightmare Moon, but was pulled back by the Earth Pony, Applejack. Nightmare Moon started to chuckle, but Twilight heard someone interrupt what would have turned into a villainous laugh.

"Yes....What did you do with my mother, Nightmare Moon?" Demanded Beacon, who held a calm expression on his face as he emerged behind Nightmare Moon.

"Mother..." Nightmare Moon's expression turned vicious as her long horn flared up with magic. Twilight watched as the evil alicorn picked up her friend and throw him over the edge.

"You'll find out boy, because I'll send you TO HER!" Nightmare Moon howled at him, blasting a powerful spell from her horn. The crowd gasped as the Prince was swallowed up by darkness from the spell. Twilight put a hoof over her mouth, as the darkness began to shrink....But that was when the scream came.

This scream was not one of pain, hopelessnes, or even despair. This one was of rage....pure, and simple. The darkness that had surrounded Beacon immediately vaporized in the explosion of a light of blue, green, red, and white. However, that light soon turned black, then finally grey before it vanished.

Beacon stood unharmed in the place where he had been thrown and then blasted. Only this time, he was a little different. His coat seemed to be alive somehow, with it shifting from a rock texture, to fire. His mane also seemed this way, as it went from wisps of wind, to streams of water. The unicorn's eyes now had irises, each one replacing the whiteness of his pupils with brown, blue, white and red. His hooves seemed to bend the very space around him, making it shimmer.

Nightmare Moon looked surprised, but that quickly turned into a disgusted scowl as Beacon spoke.

His expression was calm, but his voice betrayed barely restrained fury as he demanded.

"Answer.... The.... Question."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay, I had to completely rewrite this chapter over and over again. Just couldn't decide where Beacon should have gone at first. If any of the characters seem OC let me know please.

Enjoy my longest chapter yet, and please tell me in the comments how I can make it much better.

Next Chapter: Změna. First of the Sealed

Comments ( 4 )

well. . . that happened

Are you still working on this? I've been following this story since before I got a fimfiction account, and it would be a shame to see it go down. But it's your choice. If you're done with this story, then that's that.

5976461 Yea, I plan on continuing it, I just needed a lot of time to sort some personal things out. Now I can get back to continuing this, and I hope I can get another chapter out before the end of this week, but I don't want to rush it.

6543597

I understand. I've been having writer's block on my fanfictions for the same reason. Good luck on your story!

Login or register to comment