• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 277 Views, 2 Comments

Manechester Musings - ToraOkami303



The residents of Manechester recount their reasons for moving in.

  • ...
 2
 277

Night’s Story: Why live in the Summer Woods?

“Why would you want to live in the Summer Woods?”

Night jolted glancing at the plum filly watching him from further along the path. He closed the glass casing, locking in the little flame providing dim light to the path. He gave it a once over ensuring it was shut tight and the fire wouldn’t affect the trees.

“For the fireflies, they naturally live here nearly year round unless the Pegasi make the winter particularly harsh. I love the little bugs and their Morse code butts.”

He moved to the next casing and opening it, lighting the wick within and closing it once more.

“I had heard rumors up in Manehatten of woods that were warm as summer year round and how you could find many warm weather bugs and animals there year round.”

He once again double checked the casing to ensure the light giving lamp wouldn’t become a hazard.

“I followed the rumors until I discovered the place they spoke of. Well I suppose discovered isn’t the right word, until I…. hm… until I arrived at the rumored location.”

Night smiled and continued moving down the path, following the same pattern with each lamp.

“I set up a little camp where my house now rests. The twins arrived a few months later, considering the clearing for a town location. We struck our deal and made our homes.”

Night glances back the way he came making sure all the previous lamps still burned.

“That’s all really. I wanted to be close to the bugs I admired and I got my wish. I can’t make much use of my skill for Morse code so the twins assign me other odd jobs I can carry out in the night.”

Night smiled at the filly.

“If that was all I need to finish lighting all the lamps for any night wanderers. You should probably be heading home; it’s rather late for little fillies to be out.”

The filly nodded and bounced off.

“Okay bye-bye Nighty!”

Author's Note:

Night and Lacy's turned out rather vague entirely on accident.
I may elaborate on their pasts in their own stories at another point in time.
Right now I'm 100% done with this arc as these last 2 stories have been set for months and were not really very exploratory with the characters as everyone else's stories were.

Comments ( 2 )

I know the title of this story is a play on Manchester, and I'm wondering if it's related to the city in England, since I live near a city of the same name in the [US] state in which I reside.

4862451 It is a play on Manchester, though no specific Manchester was in mind during it's creation.
If you want it to be the US Manchester it can be I have no set canon to that regard.

Login or register to comment