• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 5,132 Views, 270 Comments

Ah Must Be Kiddin' Myself - The Masked Mare



Holy Celestia, Ah've fallen in love with Discord. Luna help me.

  • ...
25
 270
 5,132

Chapter Three

Chapter Three


"You know, Applejack, you should really take out your guitar. I love a good campfire song or two."

I looked up at the draconequus above me, ta see him smilin' like I'd never seen him smile before. Why was he bein' so nice ta me? I mean, it is just me, or has he always been this nice?

"Oh, so boring, Celestia. Really? Fine, I'll tell you, but I'll only tell you my way. To retrieve your missing elements, just make sense of this change of events; twists and turns in my master plan...then find the elements back where you began."

Naw.

"Ya really think so, Discord?" I inquired, my hoofsteps echoin' 'cross the entrance hall chamber. We were approachin' the front door, Discord carryin' the supplies with his magic, givin' them faces and makin' them fight and twirl in the air. If this was the draconequus that didn't have a crush on anypony, was he always this sweet 'round the others?

I hate ta admit it, but I hope not.

Discord snapped his paw, summonin' a pair of iceskates on his mismatched feet. He jumped out of stride with me and began ta dance 'round the hall, leavin' scratch marks on the floor. "I really do, Applejack!" he exclaimed, doin' a downright impossible flip and landin' perfectly at my hooves, in the position in which a pony would propose ta somepony else. I chuckled warily, a small blush creepin' onta my cheeks. My instincts were tellin' me ta back up, ta politely put a hoof on his head and shove 'im aside.

But instincts and heart were two very, different things.

"Aw shucks, Discord," I pawed the ground awkwardly, "ya don't haveta go inta all that." My face was so hot, I felt like I was kissin' the sun; a long, passionate kiss. My face, sure as the hat on my head, was probably as red as a ripe tamata, ready ta harvest. And don't even get me started on how fast my heart was beatin'. Heck, it was breakin' records, records that were most likely righ' here in this very library.

Discord raised his head, slow as a snail, and looked inta my eyes, his face bearin' a concealed message...his eyes holdin' more secrets than I could ever imagine. "Applejack, I know you're a modest farmgirl, but seriously, show some pride once in a while. I myself have heard you play guitar, and I found it quite delightful." With a snap of his fingers, my old, acoustic guitar was hung 'round my neck by my guitar strap, causin' my knees ta buckle slightly from the surprise.

"Why thank ya kind-wait a darn minute," I realized somethin', quick as a flash o' lightnin' from a cloud. I've never played my guitar 'round Discord before; that I was darn certain of. So how in Equestria could Discord know how my guitar playin' sounds like? I mean, have I played at a party when he was there at some point?

Or...has he been...spyin' on me?

Yup. It definitely ain't the candy apple fumes.

I'm sure as hay losin' my mind.

"How do ya'll know what my guitar playin' sounds like? You've never even heard me play!"

"Oh, would you look at the time! We're late, we're late!" Discord snapped his fingers yet again, causin' the skidmarks and the iceskates ta disappear with a loud fwoosh and a bunny costume, with a waistcoat, ta reappear in its place. He tapped his bunny foot anxiously, checkin' a pocket watch that hung outta of the breast pocket.

What in the name of...? "What er ya'll talkin' 'bout? We have plenty of-"

"Gotta go, gotta go!" With that, he clicked his fingers tagether and disappeared, along with the cookin' supplies, leavin' nothin' but a blank look on my freckled face and a dark, gapin' hole where my heart usta be.


"Applejack, where have you been? The campfire started a good twenty minutes ago," Rainbow Dash as I slowly sauntered inta the the clearin' where the campsite was, tryin' my darndest not ta attract any attention, but failin' miserably.

Our campsite, as usual, was chosen by Twilight, who always flew above Ponyville 'bout a week before a scheduled slumber party, lookin' fer a new spot ta hold the campfire. See here, these campfires had become some kinda tradition 'tween my friends and I; a place where we can share secrets, sing songs, and laugh 'til our muzzles turn purple. A sure-fire way ta relieve the stress of our everyday lives...especially Twilight's. That poor gal barely sleeps a wink on the weeknights.

Twilight, per the norm, had outdone herself with the spot. It was a good-sized clearin' near the edge of White Tail Woods, with a clear view of Luna's radiant nigh' sky, the beautiful mountains, and a downright fantastic take on the magnificent forest 'round it. There enough space ta make a fire pit and lay down a few good quality sittin' logs. The ground was sturdy and wasn't full o' residue; which was a great factor in a campsite, because late at night, it's a lot more likely fer somepony ta trip on somethin' if the ground ain't cleared.

Rarity an' Fluttershy had done a decent job on arrangin' three long, smooth logs in an almost perfect triangular shape 'round the circle o' large rocks that formed the fire pit, where a healthy fire was radiatin' all the way to where I stood. Hearty stumps were placed 'tween each of the logs; alternative places ta sit. Rarity and Rainbow Dash were sittin' on the log ta the right of me, while Spike, Flutteshy, and Twilight were sittin' on the left. And straight across, above the flickerin' fire, waverin' like my heartstrings, was that son o' a devil, Discord, sprawled across the log like he owned the place.

"Sorry, everypony," I apologized breathlessly, walkin' closer to the group until I at the front o' the stump between the two logs in front o' me, " I had a little...complication." I narrowed my eyes questioningly at Discord, who seemed completely nonchalant 'bout the situation, stretchin' and yawnin' like it was none of his business. That littl', handsome prick...

I shook my head insignificantly and slumped down on the hard ground, leanin' against the stump and utterin' a comfortable noise once I set my guitar down and got situated. I closed my eyes, pushin' my hat back, inhalin' the saccharine scent of the crisp, evening air, the body heat o' my friends, and the serenity of the nigh'. "So, what have ya'll been doin' when I wasn't here?" I asked, out of curiosity. It was highly unlikely that they just sat here in silence, waitin' fer me ta show up.

"Well, it just so happens that Discord was telling a story about Princess Luna's incident with a mutant cupcake when you came," a quiet voice uttered from my left. I opened one eye, seein' Fluttershy, starin' down at me with compassion in 'er eyes, her light pink mane flowin' over her face like odd-colored waves.

"Oh. Well, that sounds interestin'."

Somethin' that I noticed, after those littl', life-changin' roots warped my mind until all I could see was Discord, was that every time his name was mentioned, a chill slithered up my spine, like a littl' replica of Discord, climbin' up my spine whenever he heard his name. Every time the name Discord found itself in my mind, my heart seemed ta glow, as if I had swallowed thousands o' little fireflies.

Every time I heard that name, another branch grew on the healthy apple tree, buried somewhere in my soul.

"I, yes, I was telling a story about the time Luna accidentally cast a 'Come To Life Spell' on a chocolate-chip cupcake when she was a filly, causing one of the most chaotic days ever in Canterlot Castle, but I'd much rather get the hayburgers started and have somepony sing a campfire song," Discord's voice cut through my spine, rockin' my brain with too many emotions. I could feel his scorchin' gaze turned on me, scannin' me, tryin' ta find my secrets. Not that I have many.

Gosh, this draconequus really wants to see me sing fer some reason.

"Ooh! That sounds great!" Twilght clapped her hooves together enthusiastically, smilin' like Hearth's Warmin' Eve had come early this year. "Here, Applejack, you get the music started while Discord and Fluttershy can start with the hayburgers," Twilight fluttered her wings excitedly; she always had fun at these gatherin's.

Some kind of furious monster, somethin' below the soil of the roots, stirred, growlin' an' howlin' as Fluttershy grinned gratefully and hopped up ta join Discord with preparin' the food. Why's she doin' it? She can't cook as well as me! I should be up there with Discord, workin' together and makin' that food....

I stopped myself. Applejack, that was a horrible thought. Discord's everypony's friend; he ain't just yours. Calm down.

I cleared my throat, mainly to steady my constantly changin' waves of emotions, and I adjusted my position, takin' the guitar from the place where I'd left it and strappin' carefully 'round my shoulders. I crossed one backleg over the other, maintainin' extra support fer the guitar. I bit my tongue as I concentratedly, and cautiously, began ta tune it.

"So, what song do ya'll want me ta sing?" I asked, as I strummed a sour chord and started ta adjust it.

"Something pretty, melodic and soothing, like a lullaby," Discord replied immediately, his voice achingly soft an' sweet. I licked my lips, contemplatin' that suggestion, when I started ta wonder....Discord wasn't a draconequus fer lullabies. Why would he, of all ponies, request one? Dangit, this day ain't makin' any sense.

I swear, Truth or Dare will be the death of me.

"OOH, OOH! YEAH! DO THAT, DO THAT!" Pinkie Pie's alarmin'ly high-pitched voice buzzed in my ears as I started ta tune another chord. I looked up briefly, ta see Discord's red eyes flash in my direction. Yup. A lullaby it is.

"A beautiful song would be most delightful," Rarity agreed, bouncin' her curls on her hoof outta habit.

"Eh," Rainbow Dash shrugged, "Whatever, as long as it's cool."

"I for one enjoy a good melody," Twilight added.

I looked up once again at Discord, who was sittin' by the roarin' fire, now placin' hayburgers on a grate he an' Fluttershy had laid on the coals. He was still lookin' at me, his eyes crimson swirls, pullin' me in like a fish on a fishin' hook.

Yup. A lullaby it is.

"Um...well, I do know one song that's soft an' slow, like ya'll want," I explained, unsure of what they would think 'bout the song in question. "It's...it's an ol' song that Granny used ta sing ta me, before I got my cutiemark," I strummed a sequence of notes on the guitar, pleased that it was done tunin'.

"Go on," Discord drawled, his eyes focused on me, but his mind focused on flippin' the hayburger with the spatula he was holdin'.

I bit my lip, punched fear square in the muzzle, and let my soul, an' my voice, completely embody my guitar.

"Song of the willow,
Fast as a sparrow,
Twisting and turning the wind as it flies,
Voice of the mountain,
Soothing the river,
Bashing and crashing the tide as it cries.

All of the creatures gather at your feet,
Bring to you their problems and their worries,
Anxious souls, pulsing and incomplete,
Bring to you the despair of their countless journeys.
The wind carries away their hope,
Taking it far across a land of another time,
You, willow tree, will be their leader,
Your arms will be their guide.

Song of the willow,
Fast as a sparrow,
Twisting and turning the wind as it flies,
Voice of the mountain,
Soothing the river,
Bashing and crashing the tide as it cries.

The crimson fox dares to come forth,
Begging and pleading,
Choosing this choice was a last resort,
Her heart and soul were bleeding,
The wind carries away her hope,
Taking it far across a land of another time,
You, willow tree, will be her savior,
Your words will be her guide.

Song of the willow,
Fast as a sparrow,
Twisting and turning the wind as it flies,
Voice of the mountain,
Soothing the river,
Bashing and crashing the tide as it cries.

'Creatures of the forest,'
The willow tree cried desperately screamed,
'There will be a way to save the lowest,
There will be a way to save your dreams,
The wind will carry away your hope,
Taking it far across a land of another time,
You, my creatures, will be my teacher,
Your words will soothe my mind.'

Song of the willow,
Fast as a sparrow,
Twisting and turning the wind as it flies,
Voice of the mountain,
Soothing the river,
Bashing and crashing the tide as it cries.

'Dream on, dream on,
Don't let your dreams die,
Dream on, dream on,
Let your spirits fly.
Dream on, dream on,
You must believe.
Dream on, dream on,
You will reach the crack of the sky.'

Sooooooooonnggg,
Of the willoooowwwww,
Fast as a sparrrowwww,
Flying higher and higher to the land of another timeeeeee."

The last note of the song hung in the air above our heads as the stars sprinkled their own kind o' magic on our campfire tonight. Dream on, dream on, don't let your dreams die, Let your spirits fly, I repeated in my mind. My eyes slowly turned to Discord, before I could think, before I could feel.

Dream on, dream on...

...You must believe.