• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 3,924 Views, 70 Comments

Ponies Protecting Ponies - Venates



The PPP is a secret oganization tasked with keeping Equestria safe. No pony knows who they are; their agents blend into the background just like any other pony. With their expertise, keeping the unicorn Twilight Sparkle safe should be no problem.

  • ...
21
 70
 3,924

Chapter Two: Uneven Ground

<SOMEPONY GET AN EYE ON THAT MIST!>

<MOON IS GONE. REPEAT: NO VISUAL.>

<DOES ANYPONY HAVE A VISUAL ON SPARKLE?>

<NEGATIVE! SHE WAS THE FIRST ONE OUT OF THIS MESS!>

<Second, if you want to get—>

<I DON'T.>

Chaos had broken loose in the small farming community of Ponyville. The mythical alicorn Nightmare Moon appeared before the town's citizens in place of their beloved Princess Celestia, and few ponies were taking the substitution well.

<I'm having a hard time getting out of here!> cried Amethyst.

<You're not the only one, Star!> Bon Bon retorted.

Derpy's voice came on the line next. <I've got a clear shot at the door! I can get outside and—>

<Negative, Doo,> Bon Bon said. <I need you to corral the manic pegasi still in here!>

<I hardly see why—>

<Heartstrings!>

"Yeah?" Lyra rubbed her head with one of her hooves; very rarely does one pony get out of a frantic stampede of others without a scratch.

<Have you got a line on the door out of here?> buzzed Bon Bon in Lyra's ear.

Lyra looked to her left. The cool night breeze felt marvelous on her face. "Yeah. Target?"

<Sparkle. Moon is a higher priority, but until we can get these crazed ponies out and gear up in HQ, trying to chase her down will only cause more problems.>

Lyra gave her head one last rub before getting to her hooves. "I want to reiterate and go on the record as saying that I could tell having a base set up below Town Hall was not the best of ideas."

<Noted and recorded under the files labeled 'Problems I Don't GIVE TWO BITS ABOUT RIGHT NOW'!> barked Bon Bon. <Now MOVE!>

Lyra stumbled in her first few steps but was soon in a full gallop. There was no sign of Twilight Sparkle anywhere, but given the pony didn't know the town very well, there was only one place she could have gone.

"I'm checking the library first," Lyra said over the wind rushing past her face. "Will update if necessary."

<Doo! Third story! Copy, Heartstrings.>

Lyra allowed herself a sigh of exhaustion. She hated to admit it, but despite all the warnings, she was completely unprepared for the night's events. The fact that her head was throbbing and the library was on the other side of town didn't help matters.

"You can't blame yourself, Lyra," she said to no pony. "Good agents have to be able to determine fact from fiction, otherwise we'd be chasing wild geese everywhere we went."

The only sound the night could reply with was Lyra's hooves beating against the ground.

"I mean, how would believing and preparing have made things any different?" Lyra asked, allowing the conversation to keep its momentum. "Everyone in the Ponyville branch believed this might happen, and they were just as caught off guard as you were."

An owl hooted in the distance.

"It's not your fault," the lone mare reiterated. "It's not your fault..."


"Is that the last of them?"

Carrot Top reentered Town Hall before she responded. "I don't see anypony else in here."

"I have to admit, Carrot," Amethyst began, "I never would have thought a pony could get a crowd like that under control so quickly!"

"The key is to be panicking at the front. Helps you steer the mob," Carrot Top replied with a smirk. "You can't just reason with a pony when they're spooked."

"All right, I get it," Bon Bon grumbled. "Mass hysteria cannot be addressed with words like 'orderly' and 'single-file'."

Carrot chuckled. "I'd give you a gold sticker, but I'm fresh out, and there are more important things to attend to."

"Agreed," Bon Bon said with a nod. "Come on, ladies: to the bathroom!"

"You see her straight face?" Carrot asked Amethyst, chuckling. "Look at her straight face when she says that. I just... I can't."


Ponyville's PPP headquarters felt unnaturally calm compared to the calamity the ponies present just witnessed. Despite the stark contrast, the eerie quiet of the underground facility unnerved Amethyst. Once their lifts reached level ground, Amethyst couldn't help but flinch when Bon Bon's curt voice cut through the still air.

"Hooves!"

"Yes, ma'am?"

The tan stallion bounded from his nearby research lab. Bon Bon looked to him with a stern yet somber gaze. "Is it ready?" she asked.

"It's impossible to say, ma'am," Hooves answered with a shake of his head. "Of course, I'm still fine-tuning it, and without a proper field test—"

"You're getting your test, Doctor," Bon Bon said. "Tonight."

The doctor's front hooves tried to scamper backwards while his back ones stayed put, and the motion put him into a quick upright seated position. "T-tonight? Wait, tonight... It happened?"

"Of course it happened!" Bon Bon almost screamed. "Didn't you— Where is your comm link?!"

"It was distracting!" Hooves protested.

"I don't care if it gave you worms!" retorted Bon Bon. "Put it back in, grab your things, and get ready to move out!"

Hooves looked nonplussed. "...Move...?"

"Err, Bon," Carrot Top began hesitantly, "I don't mean to interject—"

"Then don't," Bon Bon snapped. "We can sit here and debate this all night, Carrot, you know we will, but you put me in charge of this outfit, and the fact of the matter is—"

"I don't know, he looks really uncomfortable with the idea," Derpy interrupted.

"Do I need to use worms to make a point again?" asked Bon Bon. "I'm sure that would make all of us uncomfortable."

"Um, can I ask something?" Every head but the doctor's turned to look at Amethyst. She swallowed before continuing. "I'm sure it's none of my business, but why can't he join us?"

Carrot Top shook her head. "He's just a scientist. He's no field agent. He never had any training for what we're about to—"

"The forest, right?"

The four mares turned to look at the stallion who spoke. Hooves stood up and spoke again.

"We always thought that... that she would go back to the forest... right? To the old castle?"

Derpy closed her eyes, and Carrot Top looked to a different part of the room. Bon Bon nodded.

"I'll grab my things."

Derpy whimpered, but no one acknowledged the noise. The stallion turned his back to the mares and wandered back the way he came. Bon Bon followed him into his lab. Just then, communications devices buzzed in their ears.

<This is Heartstrings. I've got visual on Sparkle in the library.>

"I'll go join you," Derpy said, barely louder than a whisper. She silently spread her wings and flew up the entrance shaft, choosing to not wait for a lift to return her.

Carrot Top turned to glare at Amethyst; the look from an otherwise amiable mare took the unicorn aback. "Did I say something wrong?" Amethyst asked.

"Look, I know you're new," Carrot began, "but I really don't think it's your call whether or not a pony should be in the field."

"Every pony's opinion counts here, Carrot," Bon Bon said as she reentered the room. Hooves stood a few paces behind her with heavy saddlebags strapped to his back. "That was one of the first things you told me when I started training for your position."

"Yeah, well, back then everypony involved was family," Carrot Top countered. She gave the doctor a quick glance before the random corner in the room once again grabbed her attention.

"They still are," Bon Bon said softly. Then, more aggressive, "Come on, everypony. Get a lift and get up. We'll brief on the way."


"Anything interesting?"

Lyra turned to the sound of another voice. A grey pegasus descended from the sky and landed among the branches of the large tree that housed the town library. One of her eyes stared down at Lyra's hiding spot in the bushes, while the other gazed inside an open window. Lyra snorted. "Nothing so far," she said. "A few more ponies showed up, and now Twilight is going on about those 'Element' things from the story. Sheesh, she's even more obsessed with them than Star."

"You can't blame her," Derpy said. "The story makes it sound like they're actual things, and that they can just be found somewhere."

Lyra rolled her eyes. "Look, I know I owe an apology for not believing that the fairy tale junk would come to life, but 'ancient mystical artifacts' is a little too— I'm sorry, but can you not stare at me like that?"

The pegasus tilted her head. "Most ponies prefer having eye contact when making conversation."

"Most ponies prefer both eyes pointing in the same direction."

Derpy's eyelids tightened. "Something on your mind, Heartstrings?"

Lyra glared back. "Yeah. Look, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make a handicap a field agent, but—"

"Watch it, Heartstrings!" The eye Derpy had on the nearby window shifted onto Lyra, allowing the other to roam the town around them. "I am perfectly capable of performing my duties, and if you don't—!"

A gasp on Derpy's part cut off the rest of her sentence. Lyra went from squinting with both eyes to just one, and took a chance at following the eye Derpy did not have focused on her. She too let out a gasp. Almost missing it, Lyra spotted a pale blue and purple mist rushing from the other side of the library towards the forest at the town's edge.

Lyra was the first to speak. "Was that—"

"Yeah."

"Should we—"

"Yeah." Derpy lifted a hoof to her ear. "Control, this is Agent Doo. I believe we just spotted Nightmare Moon heading for the Everfree Forest."

<You 'believe'?> Bon Bon's voice responded. <Either you did or you didn't, Doo.>

"It was the same kind of gaseous mass that left Town Hall," Lyra chimed in. "Unless you've seen anything else that looks like the night sky floating along the ground?"

<Heartstrings, this is not the night for sarcasm,> Bon Bon said. Lyra rolled her eyes yet again. <What's the status on Sparkle?>

Lyra turned back to the window next to her. "Safe at the library with a few friends."

<Good. Ensure she stays there.>

BANG.

Lyra and one of Derpy's eyes spun to see six ponies leave the library's entrance and head due south. "Yer not leavin' without us, sugarcube!" one of the ponies yelled.

"Err... Problem with that, boss," Lyra said.

There was a brief silence.

<Please don't tell me Sparkle just went to the forest.>

"She and five others," Derpy confirmed.

A groan on the comm line preceded Bon Bon's response.

<Alright. Heartstrings, Doo, tail her. Doo, you know what to watch out for in that forest, so keep an eye on Heartstrings' back. Heartstrings, I'm praying that your training included defense against unnatural animals, because there's enough for a zoo in there.> Bon Bon took a deep breath before continuing. <Protect Sparkle where needed, but otherwise keep magic to a minimum. We don't want a glowing aura to give away your position. Think you two can handle it?>

Pegasus and unicorn glowered at one another.

"We'll manage," Derpy answered.

"We're professionals," said Lyra.

<Good. Stay that way. We're heading for the forest ourselves, so keep in touch. Bon out.>


Four ponies exited Ponyville's town hall into the unusually long night.

"Okay, here's the situation," Bon Bon began. "Heartstrings and Doo are tailing Sparkle, last seen heading for the Everfree Forest. Our two other objectives are countering Nightmare Moon and finding Princess Celestia. Doctor, since you're the one who knows how that device works, you and I will head for Nightmare's most probable destination while Star and Top—"

"Actually," Doctor Hooves interrupted, "I need A— err, Amy? Amarillo...?"

"Amethyst," the pony with the same name corrected.

"Agent Star," countered Bon Bon. "And I need her with Carrot in case any magic snares need to be taken care of." She then turned to Amethyst. "You do have training in disarming snares, yes?" Amethyst nodded.

"Yes, but I— erm..." The doctor tapped two of his hooves together. "Danger. In the forest. Not to mention angry alicorn magic."

"But—" Bon Bon cut herself off, sighed, and rubbed her temples. "Okay. Fine. Star, you go with Hooves into the forest. He knows his way to the castle. You worry about countering threats while he navigates." Amethyst nodded, and Bon Bon turned to address the stallion. "Hooves, take a direct route through the trees. We don't want you intercepting Sparkle by happenstance, and you may just get to the ruins before she and her party do." Hooves gave a sloppy salute in response. Bon Bon then turned to Carrot. "Top, you're with me. Hopefully checking every nook and cranny between here and Canterlot doesn't take all night." Without so much as a farewell, Bon Bon galloped away from the party. Carrot Top took one quick look at Hooves before following after her.

"I must admit, Doc, I'm rather flattered," Amethyst said as she followed Hooves' lead towards the forest. "I mean, if this 'Everfree' is as dangerous as you all keep going on about—"

"Oh, it's not so bad," Hooves interjected. "My brother and I used to go through it all the time. I mean, I guess he was a unicorn too, but it's not like he ever really needed to use his magic all that much."

"Well, that's comforting at least," Amethyst said with a grin. "I didn't know you had a brother?"

"I don't think it's been mentioned yet," said Hooves. "My brother doesn't get mentioned a lot."

"Why's that?" Amethyst asked. "Do you two not get along very well?"

"Oh, no! We were very close to one another! Best friends even!" Hooves smiled at the thought, and Amethyst wore one to match. "But then he died. In the forest, there."

Amethyst was no longer wearing a smile.


Two earth ponies galloped in silence before one broke it.

"Bon Bon, I know today has been scary thus far, and—"

"Carrot, please don't try to tell me that I made some wrong calls." Bon Bon did not even turn her head to speak to Carrot Top. "I've never had to deal with anything like this, and neither could you."

Carrot Top closed her mouth and let the silence resume. Almost a minute passed before it retreated once again.

"We need to establish a time frame," Bon Bon said. "It'll narrow our search field." She slapped a hoof up towards her ear without breaking her sprint. "Star, this is Bon. You saw Nightmare's arrival, correct? That's what you were trying to warn us about?"

<Um... Yeah,> came Amethyst's voice. <More or less.>

Bon Bon grunted. "How about 'more' then, Star."

<Oh, right, sorry...> Amethyst coughed. <I saw her face disappear from the moon. It happened in the middle of the mayor's speech.>

Bon Bon looked up at the glowing orb in the night sky. It was completely featureless. "Huh. Well would you look at that. Okay, thanks, Star."

<Y-yeah. No problem.>

"Everything alright, there, Star?" asked Bon Bon as she and Carrot Top slowed until they were standing. "You're not scared, are you?"

<No, ma'am, I... It's fine. Don't worry about it. Doctor Hooves and I just entered the forest. We'll contact you if anything comes up.>

"Don't hesitate to. Bon out." Bon Bon turned to Carrot Top. "If Star is to be believed, Nightmare only had a window of a few minutes — if that — to contain Princess Celestia, meaning that she's most likely within city limits, possibly further out into the nearby area."

"Bon Bon, I want to talk about—"

"We should split up to cover more ground." Bon Bon broke her eye contact with Carrot Top and resumed trotting towards a destination. "I'm going to head for the rendezvous point that nopony showed up at."

"Bon Bon, please... About sending Hooves into the forest..."

"Carrot, you head back to HQ." Bon Bon showed no signs of having heard Carrot Top say anything. "Bring up a map of town and any known magical leylines where an ancient being with intense magic might—"

"BON BON."

The pony in question stopped and turned to look at Carrot Top. "You have your orders," Bon Bon told her. When Carrot opened her mouth to speak, Bon Bon continued, "Our princess is missing, her corrupted sister is on the loose, and I am the only pony trying to keep a lid on it all! So please. Please do as I ask. Just for tonight."

Carrot closed her mouth and glared. After a beat, she turned away from her partner. When she was about to take her first step back towards Town Hall, Bon Bon's voice stopped her.

"I'll be on the comm link."


"I'm just saying. I mean, I know you can fly an' all, but in no way can having lopsided eyes be a real advantage in the field."

"And I'm telling you that both of my eyes work perfectly fine! You wish you could master an ability beyond the average pony like this!"

"Sister, the keyword there is 'average', which I assure you, I am not."

Derpy batted a branch out of her flight path; the Everfree Forest was making travel difficult for the two mares, regardless of whether they were flying or walking.

Lyra jumped haphazardly over a wide trench. "I just don't see how anypony could make sense out of two separate inputs coming in at the same time. Can't be done. Not by a pony, anyway. And yet you've convinced everypony that you work with that it's an advantage just to keep your job. And don't even get me started on the depth perception..."

"Dip."

"Hey now, no need to start calling me na—" One of Lyra's hooves plunged into a rather well-hidden divot in the ground and flung the rest of her body forward.

Derpy chuckled as Lyra unhinged her jaw from the dirt. "Do you always have trouble believing what you're told?" the pegasus asked.

Lyra spat out a clump of grass. "I just trust my eyes over what anypony says, is all."

"That you and I have in common," said Derpy. "Like it or not, I have a leg up on you, Heartstrings. Well, wing up. Eye up. All of the above."

"Har-de-har," Lyra said with a roll of her eyes. "It's not like you have complete advantage over me. I doubt you've had the extensive combat training I've been put through, and I'm pretty sure I don't even need to mention the asset that even an untrained horn can bring to the table."

"If you're so good, why would Bon Bon ask me to keep an eye on you?" asked Derpy.

"Probably because—"

"And yes, I do mean eye," Derpy sneered. "Singular. I've got one on you, and the other on—"

The sound of screaming ponies perforated the night air.

"Doo!" screamed Lyra, "What's happening out there?!"

"R-rock slide!" stammered Derpy. "Twilight and her friends are sliding down the mountainside!"

"Aw, son of a— Move!"

The two mares galloped and flapped as hard as they could towards the shrieks.

"Update!" Lyra belted.

"Two of Twilight's party are pegasi!" Derpy relayed. "They've caught two of their friends!"

"Sparkle?"

"Still sliding!"

Lyra and Derpy entered a clearing, and from there both mares could see the event unfolding. The hillside stood almost half a mile away, but all six ponies involved in its recent deformation were clearly visible. One blue pegasus was struggling to keep a pink mare airborne, while a yellow one was trying to get a white unicorn to slide slower. An orange earth pony and purple unicorn were still moving at an alarming speed. A cliff face and valley between them and the sliding ponies prevented at least one of the two mares from getting any closer to the scene. Lyra's horn began to glow.

"Lyra!" hissed Derpy. "You are on order to not use magic unless—"

"Unless absolutely necessary, I know," Lyra answered. "But I'm pretty sure ponies falling to their doom counts, and they're all a little distracted, in case you didn't notice!"

"And you think they won't notice if they magically stop falling?!"

"Give me some credit, Doo," Lyra said as sweat dripped down her face. "I picked this one up while I was still in training."

Derpy kept one eye on Lyra and the other on the six mares across the way. The orange pony manage to snag a branch from the slope's surface, but Twilight kept sliding until she caught herself dangling over an edge.

"Lyra..."

"Just... Hold on!"

As Derpy watched, the blue pegasus adjusted her grip on her pink friend before quickly and easily carrying her to safety. Her yellow counterpart stopped sliding with the white unicorn and soon too was airborne. With two of their friends secure, they rushed back up to help the last of their party.

"Strength... spell..." Lyra huffed. "Nearly... invisible... Didn't want... to... get... caught... in... training..."

The orange mare carefully slid down to Twilight to keep her from falling. After a signal from the two pegasi, she spoke to Twilight, released her, and the purple unicorn fell right into the hooves of their flying friends.

"Wow... That's rather impressive," Derpy confessed.

"We... good...?" asked Lyra.

"Huh? Oh! Yeah! They got 'er."

Lyra groaned, and her horn stopped glowing. The yellow pegasus in the distance dipped for a moment without the extra strength, but she and her blue partner still managed to ease Twilight to the ground. The orange pony opted to take her own route down to the bottom of the hill to join them.

"Phew," Lyra whistled as she stumbled to her hooves. "Been a while... since I've tried... one of those."

"Looks like it takes a lot out of you," Derpy observed. "How could you possibly get away with that in training?"

"Oh, it wasn't for me," Lyra said, strength coming back to her. "I had a partner who really struggled with the hazing. We had each other's backs, you know?"

Derpy nodded, but before she could respond, the ground underneath her crumbled. A quick flap of her wings got Derpy airborne, but Lyra did not rise with her; the unicorn fell alongside the fragmenting earth.

"DERPY!"

Without hesitation, the pegasus dove. She wrapped her forelegs around her green partner and hoisted her backwards onto sturdier footing. Their falling ledge paralleled the one that so recently dropped below Twilight Sparkle and company.

"Thanks, Doo," Lyra puffed. "Go on after them. I'm going to need a minute or two to catch my breath..."

Derpy spun an eye back to the cliff wall that once held ground beneath their hooves. A faint blue and purple mist could be seen sifting from it and into the woods after the party of six. A quiet laugh echoed in its wake.

"You get your rest, and then we'll go," Derpy said, eye not moving from the where the mist vanished. "I really don't think either of us want to be alone in here."


"So, um, Doctor..."

"Yes?"

"How, uh... How did... your brother...?"

"Die?"

Alone with a borderline stranger in a dark and creepy forest made the topic the last Amethyst wanted to cover, but training regulated a need to be prepared for anything, especially something that took out another unicorn. Still, the sensitive nature of a relative's passing made her hesitant to discuss the doctor's brother at all. "Um, yes," she mumbled.

Hooves kept his focus in front of him. His face showed no emotion at all. "We're not really sure," he stated. "See, this forest really can be rather dangerous, which is why we monitor it alongside the town. However, we rarely knew much about what went on in here, what the flora and fauna were, landmark locations, et cetera. Didn't bother my brother at all though, which is probably why Carrot Top sent him in here regularly."

"Carrot Top?"

"Back when she was still the boss, yes," Hooves confirmed.

"Right, she did mention that," Amethyst said, mostly to herself. "So what happened?"

Hooves didn't reply immediately. "One night he failed to report in," he said. "The others sent a search party in here, and, well..."

"Doctor." Amethyst stopped walking so she could put a hoof on her partner's shoulder. "I know it must be hard for you to think about, but whatever happened to him, you need to let me know so I can be ready for it."

Hooves shook his head. "I already told you, we're not sure what happened. The search party found him, but... Well, they didn't give me all of the details. Or maybe they did. I really don't remember a lot from that day."

"I'm... sorry to hear that," said Amethyst.

Hooves didn't answer.

The pair continued to walk in mostly silence. Occasionally Amethyst would warn Hooves to watch his step or look out for low-hanging branches, but he never said a word to acknowledge or thank her.

"So, Doctor," Amethyst began with hesitation, "Err, this device..."

"Hm? Oh! Yes!" Hooves' eyes and mouth went wide as his march turned into a skip. "It's actually quite the fascinating contraption! I didn't break the ground on it, mind, but for the greater portion of my life—"

Amethyst couldn't help but stare as the stallion continued at a brisk pace about diodes and transformers; it was as though an identical stallion swung in on a vine and replaced her stoic companion without her noticing.

"—and some parts of it date back even a century or more! Mind you, it was a bit of a pain working with some of these components with how severely out of date they are, but it's been highly difficult to replicate—"

"Err, Doctor?"

"Yes?"

Amethyst stared for a second longer before shaking her head and regaining her composure. "Uh, well, what exactly is it? You guys make it sound like it'll defeat Nightmare Moon or something."

"Not defeat, no... Was I not clear when you and Agent Heartstrings first arrived?" asked Hooves.

"First...?" Amethyst shook her head again. "That thing you were working on was this device?!" she asked, pointing to the saddlebag on the doctor's back.

"Well of course!" answered Hooves, nonchalant. "With today's date approaching, I was ordered to work towards its completion as fast as possible. It would seem I lost track of time, though, as I had no idea what today was until you all came back into headquarters."

"But... But it was in pieces! We saw you still working on it!" Amethyst yelled.

"As I said, I was fine-tuning!" Hooves yelled back.

"You mean it still isn't—?!"

Hooves beamed. "No!"

<Forest Party Two, come in.>

The doctor scratched at one of his ears. "Wait, we never said—" Then, in a low whisper, "Amethyst! Are we Forest Party One or Forest Party Two?"

<You're Party Two, Doc. You entered the woods second.> Lyra's voice sounded exhausted. <Star, did he just say you're there with him?>

"Affirmative, Chief," Amethyst said.

<Good, I was hoping we'd have some more unicorn firepower. Listen, there's something in here—>

"Oh, yes!" Hooves chimed. "Several plant and animal species both known and unknown, not to mention subterranean—"

<Not what I meant, Doc,> Lyra said. <Look, Doo and I just had an incident, and we think that a certain someone is in here specifically targeting some of us ponies. Trying to slow us down. Or worse. Just keep your heads low.>

"Okay!" said Hooves enthusiastically. He lowered his head and continued, "I don't think we're too far from the castle now, so once we get there—"

<SHH-SH-SHT!> Lyra said harshly over their comms. <There's a chance our communications are being monitored! Don't breathe a word about what you two are up to! In fact, maintain radio silence unless there's an absolute emergency. Understood?>

Amethyst gave Hooves a sidelong glance before answering. "Lyra, the doctor just gave me some rather interesting information that I think you should—"

<Star,> Lyra said, cutting the pink unicorn off, <if it has anything to do with our mission, and I mean anything, do not finish that sentence. Now I'm going to ask again: Is. That. Under. Stood?>

Amethyst snorted. "Copy. Star and Hooves out." With that, she began walking again. "Come on, Doc. You said it's not much further?"

"That's right!" Hooves gave a huge smile. "Now the thing about this device, you can't just—"

"Doc!" Amethyst put a hoof to the scientist's mouth. "Did you not hear what Lyra just said?" Hooves blinked his blue eyes twice. "Never mind, just... Tell me all about it when we get there, okay?"

"Okay!"Hooves said, mouth now freed. "But I really, really need to tell you some stuff when we get there! I'm going to need your help, after all!" With that, Doctor Hooves continued happily trotting down the path in front of him.

"But what...?" Amethyst shook her head and ran to catch up.