• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 2,366 Views, 128 Comments

The Changelings Have a King - Jade Ring



An old enemy's thirst for vengeance gives rise to a new threat...and kick-starts a chain of events that will change Equestria forever.

  • ...
25
 128
 2,366

Chapter 5: One Day in Ponyville (Morning)

Ponyville

Crescendo struggled to find the right words, but time seemed to be standing still. How long had it been since Rarity had walked Dimmy down the path towards the schoolhouse, the pair of them waving good-bye to Spike and himself as the morning birds sang their sweet song? How long since Spike had asked him to come inside and pulled the small box from some sort of pocket in his scales? Seconds? Minutes?

“Do you think she’ll like it?”

Crescendo barely registered the young dragon’s nervous growl, so intent was he on the shining bauble resting in the red satin interior of the box. “She’d be a fool not to.” He craned his neck forward for a closer look. “Spike, wherever did you find this?”

Spike chuckled and looked at the large and perfectly cut sapphire. “I made it. Took me months to take out every little flaw.”

“It shows.” Crescendo’s gaze drifted down the large gem’s side and took in the delicate curve of the adjoining golden ring. “So you’re finally going to ask her?”

Spike nodded.

“Well ‘hoc est, de tempore,’ you slowpoke!” Crescendo laughed loudly and clapped a hoof on the taller dragon’s shoulder. He made his way towards the liquor cabinet. “Honestly, you’re more tortoise than dragon.”

Spike laughed as well and returned the ring to his scales. “I know, but I just haven’t been able to work up the nerve.”

Crescendo floated over a glass of brandy that the dragon took gratefully. “Fortune favors the bold, Spike. That’s what my father always told me.” The beaming unicorn made to fill his own glass. “I must ponder your reasoning, however, for telling me ahead of time.” He looked back with a smirk. “Need a best stallion? I threw quite the bachelor party in my youth.”

“Actually, I was going to ask if you would consider giving her away.”

A shot echoed around the room as Crescendo’s magic shattered his glass. Slowly, he faced the purple dragon. “Spike… I’m flattered, really. But she’s, uh, she’s hardly mine to give.”

“Rarity’s father died years ago. She has no family left except for our little clan.”

“Spike…”

“Crescendo, I know she’d want to do this as traditionally as possible. You’re honestly the best option.”

Crescendo noted the shattered bits of glass still suspended in his magic and quickly reconstituted them into a usable glass once again. He filled it and drained the warm liquid in a single gulp. “Spike, it’s hardly appropriate.”

“Why?”

“Because Rarity and I had no relationship to speak of less than a year ago, outside of a small side of procreation almost two decades in the past.” He made to refill his glass, suddenly happy he had no class to teach that day. “There must be somepony else. Anypony else.”

“There isn’t.” Spike crossed the room and rested a claw on Crescendo’s shoulder. “You and Dimmy are part of our family now. Rarity considers you one of her very best friends in all the world. There’s nopony else I know she’d feel comfortable with walking her down the aisle.”

Crescendo resisted the urge to slam back the brandy once again and contented himself with a mere sip. “One of her best friends, you say?”

“Yeah. The very best.”

Crescendo sighed heavily and smiled up at his reptilian friend. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

Spike laughed and hugged the unicorn tightly, lifting him off the ground. “Thank you so much!”

When breathing started to become difficult, Crescendo tapped a plea for release on the dragon’s scales. Back on the ground, he gathered himself and smiled. “So… when are you planning on asking her?”

“This weekend. We’re taking the train to Canterlot for the new production of Les Marisables.”

“Sounds perfect. I wish you all the best. She’s quite the catch, our Rarity.”

Spike grinned. “She’s one of a kind.” He snapped his claws in sudden remembrance. “Almost forgot! I have to run some errands while Rarity goes to see Mayor Mare.”

“The mayor? Why ever for?”

Spike shrugged. “She got a summons right as we were leaving the house.” He started towards the door. “See you later, old timer.”

Crescendo raised his glass in salute. “I’ll see you at dinner tomorrow, gecko.” Crescendo’s smile lasted until he heard the front door close. The corners of his mouth dipped downward and the reconstituted glass once again fell into a million tiny pieces. He considered grabbing another from the cabinet.

Instead, he wound up taking the entire bottle into his study.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mayor Mare’s assistant offered Rarity a smile. “You can go right in.”

Rarity returned the smile, gave herself a final once over in a nearby mirror, then pushed her way into the office of Ponyville’s elected leader. “You wanted to see me, Madam Mayor?”

“Rarity!” the silver-maned politician waved from across her desk. “Come in. We’ve been expecting you.”

Rarity watched as the two ponies already sitting in front of the Mayor’s desk turned to face her. She opened her mouth in greeting… but her tongue refused to extend the pleasantry.

The mare was a unicorn, gray of coat and pink of mane. She looked at Rarity with disinterested, dark eyes and snapped the gum she was chewing. The alternately laughing and sorrowful masks that made up the well-known symbol of drama adorned her flanks.

The stallion had a face she’d never forget. His white coat reminded her of shattered illusions of how a noble was supposed to act. His golden mane whispered to her of long-standing dreams broken to bits in a single, embarrassing night.

“Pr-Prince Blueblood?” The seamstress stammered. Old anger began to bubble up from inside her and she glared at him. “Forgive me, Madam Mayor, but it seems you’ve summoned the wrong pony. When dealing with this one, surely somepony who works at the dump would be better suited to the task!”

Mayor Mare gasped at the unicorn’s rudeness. “Miss Rarity!”

Blueblood cleared his throat. “It’s alright, Madam Mayor. The Lady Rarity and I didn’t have the best of initial meetings. But I thought, given how we last parted, that some of the past fury had dissipated.”

“If you’re referring to Fancy Pants’ function, I hope you didn’t take my politeness as forgiveness.” She raised her nose in dismissal. “It took every ounce of my willpower not to hurl you over the cliff.”

Како се осмелуваат да зборуваат за мојата љубов на таков начин, ќе негодуваше крава!” The grey mare cried in a rapid tongue Rarity did not understand.

Blueblood took her hoof and stroked it slowly. “Да биде лесно, кралице. Дозволете ми да се грижи за тоа.” He returned his gaze to Rarity. “Forgive me. I forgot to introduce this lovely creature. This is the Duchess Janice of Maredonia. My wife.”

That word, and Blueblood’s almost gentle tone, caught Rarity completely off-guard. “Wife?”

“Yes. I met her while acting as an envoy for my Aunt Celestia. We bonded over shared interests and quickly fell for each other. Her love has taught me a great many things, not the least of which is humility. And regret.” He bowed his head. “I know that I can never undo the damage I did the night of the Gala, but I can at least offer an apology for my ungentlemanly behavior.” Something behind his eyes seemed to flash at her.

The flash and his tone seemed to temper the flame of hatred in her heart. Her mind began to cloud and she had to strain to remember why she was so angry. Something to do with cake? What a silly thing to hold a grudge about. Her glare softened. “I suppose I should also apologize for not acting very lady-like just now.” She focused on the still fuming grey unicorn at Blueblood’s side. “I’m sorry to you as well, my lady.” She offered with a slight bow.

Janice huffed but gave a small nod. “Your apology is being acceptable.” She muttered in a thick accent.

Blueblood chuckled. “My beloved’s grasp on the Common Equestrian tongue grows every day.”

Mayor Mare exhaled, relieved that the tense situation was diffused. “Prince Blueblood was just telling me of his plans to build a summer home here in Ponyville.”

“Ponyville? Why?”

“A secluded, almost backwoods town? No other nobles to speak of? It’s the perfect rustic getaway for my new bride and myself.”

“And our small ones.” Janice chimed in hopefully.

Blueblood chuckled. “In time, my love. In time.”

Mayor Mare gestured out the grand window behind her. “We, of course, welcome anypony new to town. But where do you intend to build such an estate?”

Blueblood bowed his head in concentration. “I seem to recall passing a large plot of undeveloped land on the east side of town...”

“That’s the new park.” Rarity chimed in. “Or, at least that’s what it’s supposed to be. Filthy Rich keeps pushing off the development.”

“That stallion is planning a mayoral campaign with that money, I just know it.” Mayor Mare muttered.

“The place is being perfection for little palace.” Janice snapped her gum again.

“I quite agree, my pet.” Blueblood straightened his tie. “I’m sure I could persuade this Mister Rich fellow to speed along development if I offer him the contracts for our new getaway.”

“You want to build your summer house… in the new public park?” Rarity asked in confusion.

Blueblood shrugged. “Why not? Think of it as a big backyard.” He tossed back his long mane, putting on a bit of his old royal airs. “I’m not saying we won’t have a fence…”

Three of the ponies shared a laugh.

The grey unicorn simply chuckled non-committedly,

Once the laughter had petered off, Mayor Mare focused on Rarity. “I asked you here, Miss Rarity, because I knew that you of all ponies could give their majesties a tour of the town befitting their station.”

Rarity offered her most generous smile. “But of course I can. I can even lead you right to Filthy’s office.” A flash of inspiration hit her. “And I’d like to extend an invitation to both of you to have dinner at my house tomorrow night.”

“Oh, we couldn’t impose…”

“I insist.” Rarity gestured at the door. “Shall we?”

The three unicorns bid farewell to the Mayor and left the office.

Once they were gone, Mayor Mare’s assistant joined her employer in the office. “That went well.”

“Yes, I think it did.”

“Why Rarity of all ponies? If you don’t mind my asking, ma’am.”

Mayor Mare shrugged. “His highness requested her by name.”

The assistant giggled. “He’s quite charming. Not sure about the Duchess, though. She’s a bit stand-offish. And what kind of name is Janice?”

The Mayor shrugged. “Well, she is foreign.”

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“I trust there will be no further issues?” Cheerilee asked the sulking colt sitting before her desk.

“No, Miss Cheerilee.” Pound Cake pouted, upset at having to be held back on what was supposed to be a half day of school.

“Very good.” She let her stern demeanor slip and offered a nurturing smile. “Given how well you improved on the last test, and that you seem genuinely remorseful for your scrap with Sparkler, I suppose I’ll just forget to tell your parents about this little situation.”

Pound’s attitude changed in an instant. Suddenly the young pegasus was buzzing above his seat. “Really?”

Cheerilee nodded. “And I wouldn’t worry about Sparkler making any more comments about your sister. If he’s not afraid of crossing you again, then he’ll certainly be afraid of me.”

“Thanks, Miss Cheerilee! You’re the best!”

Cheerilee dismissed him with a wave and bent to examine the papers on her desk. She listened to the fading sound of his flapping wings and allowed herself a relaxed smile. This was just what she needed after the fiasco with Mac. She needed to throw herself into her work, to remind herself of her purpose. This was what she was best at. This was what she was meant to do. She didn’t need to bother herself worrying about stallions that were forever out of her grasp. She had plenty of good years left to worry about that.

There had been a moment the night before she had briefly panicked, worrying about how the other ponies in town would think of her when word got around of how she’d embarrassed herself. In the end, she’d calmed herself with the knowledge that the Apples would guard what was said in that barn to the utmost of their abilities. They knew to keep these things quiet.

She looked up… right into the glaring eyes of the Apple Family matriarch.

Stifling the scream that rose in her throat, Cheerilee refused to look away. “Fluttershy.”

“Cheerilee.”

The tone in the normally peaceful pony’s voice terrified Cheerilee more than the howl of a Timber Wolf. “Is… is there something I can help you with?”

“You know why I’m here.”

Cheerilee nodded slowly. “I’m sorry.”

Fluttershy’s eyelids tightened even more. “Do you think that’s enough for what you did?”

The teacher hung her head. “No.”

“No. No it’s not. What you said, what you did… it was worse than inappropriate! It’s the most awful thing anypony’s ever done to me! I thought we were friends, Cheerilee.”

“We are…” but Cheerilee’s response was killed when she saw the intensity of what was in the yellow pony’s eyes.

“Bad enough that you told Macintosh something that I hadn’t told him yet, but then you try to steal him away? Or to force your way into our marriage? I thought you were a more mature mare than this.”

Cheerilee’s shame was licked by a sudden spark of anger. “Fluttershy, you have every right to be angry with me, but that doesn’t mean you can talk to me like a school-filly.”

Fluttershy bared her teeth. “Why not? It’s what you were acting like in my barn.”

“It’s MAC’S barn!”

“IT’S OUR BARN!” Fluttershy so rarely raised her voice in anger, the air itself seemed so surprised that it stood still. “IT’S OUR BARN ON OUR FARM AND HE’S MY HUSBAND! WHY CAN’T YOU JUST ACCEPT THAT?!”

BECAUSE IT SHOULD’VE BEEN MINE!” Cheerilee shouted right back. “AND IT WOULD’VE BEEN TOO, IF HE HADN’T STARTED DATING YOU!” She snorted angrily. “If you thought that I was going to pass up my last real chance to finally beat you, then you’re a fool!”

“Beat me?” Fluttershy cocked her head. “For Celestia’s sake, Cheerilee. We weren’t competing.”

“Oh, of course we weren’t. Because no mare in town can compete with you. Sweet, beautiful, innocent little Fluttershy, more comfortable in the company of animals than her fellow ponies. Former super-model. Never gives any stallion a second glance.” Cheerilee gestured to the door. “You could have had any stallion in this town with a word… and you had to pick the one that was supposed to be mine.”

“…We don’t pick who we fall in love with.”

“No. No we don’t.”

The two mares stared daggers at each other, both tensed in case the other decided to become physical.

“I should tell everypony what you did. I should make you so despised in this town that you have no choice but to leave, never to darken my door-step ever again. I should hate you right now…”

Cheerilee waited.

“…but that’s just not in me.”

All the emotions that had built up in Cheerilee left her at once and she almost physically deflated. “What?”

Fluttershy exhaled heavily, calming herself. “You’re my friend, Cheerilee. You have been since we were fillies. I’m not going to throw all that away just because you’re having a hard time right now. I just hope that one day you’ll eventually get past this and accept that what’s done is done.” She turned to leave. “And I hope that day comes before you start teaching our daughter.”

When she was gone, a thousand thoughts ran through Cheerilee’s head. She wanted to crawl under her desk and bawl her eyes out. She wanted to tear the classroom apart with her bare hooves. She wanted to rant and rave about perfect, wonderful Fluttershy and vent her frustrations in a scream that would shatter the very glass of the building.

But no. She was a mature, adult mare.

She gathered her belongings and made ready to lock up for the day.

Mature, adult mares had other ways of dealing with things like this.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nursing a pleasant buzz. Professor Crescendo answered the hard knocks on his front door with a wide smile on his face. The slightly inebriated smile only got wider when he saw his fellow teacher standing on his porch. “Cheerilee! What brings you to my humble abode?”

She strode right in, not waiting for an invitation. “Is it too early to have a good stiff drink with a friend?”

Crescendo considered, then shut the door. “Madam, the day that I turn down a drink with a beautiful mare is the day they put me in the ground.”