• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 2,365 Views, 128 Comments

The Changelings Have a King - Jade Ring



An old enemy's thirst for vengeance gives rise to a new threat...and kick-starts a chain of events that will change Equestria forever.

  • ...
25
 128
 2,365

Chapter 4: Mothers and Fathers

The Bad Lands

The sun was setting, bringing an end to the scorching heat of the day and ushering in the bitter cold of the night. The drones buzzed about quickly. Some preparing the night’s fires, the rest busy constructing large capsules of mucus, most no larger than the average cocoon. Into these constructs they gathered the few meager belongings of their species.

They were preparing to move.

Molt surveyed the activity with a worried eye. He stroked at his membranous beard and muttered to himself in a guttural, long forgotten tongue.

His queen paid him no mind and continued to watch her Changelings with a pleased expression on her face. “You haven’t been this agitated in a long time, old friend.”

Molt finished his muttering and spat a wad of phlegm on the sand. “I still don’t understand why we’re moving out so quickly, your majesty.”

“Since when do you question me?”

Molt cast an eye back at his king, snoozing contentedly on a marriage bed the drones had constructed. “It is not you that I question.”

Chrysalis chuckled and buzzed her wings, relishing in the newfound sense of inner joy that flooded every fiber of her being. “The village is an ideal location to hatch the first clutch. There’s no shortage of emotions there so my young will have plenty of sustenance when they enter this world.”

“It is the lion’s den, my queen!” Molt faced her head on, his need to protect her overwhelming his sense of propriety. “True, the Bearers of Harmony posed no threat to us last time, but should we be discovered… with our numbers? We wouldn’t stand a chance.”

“Something Carapace and I have discussed. We are confident in this course of action. That should be enough for you.”

“Putting aside the fact that this location has been chosen solely for the purposes of the king’s personal vendetta, we are still wholly unprepared. At least let me send a scouting party, so we aren’t flying in blind.”

Chrysalis shook her head. “We don’t know how long it will be before I enter the next stage. If we are to relocate, then we must relocate quickly.”

Molt gritted his teeth. “You majesty, I must be frank with you. Since you have chosen your husband, your decisions have been…” A flash of movement cut off his sentence. He gulped and his eyes widened as he took in the object now pointing dangerously at his throat.

It was the needle-thin end of what could only be described as a scorpion tail extending from his queen’s hindquarters.

“Do you like it?” She whispered. “It appeared just as Carapace and I completed our first coupling. I suppose it’s to help defend my clutch.”

Molt swallowed again, terrified as he felt the stinger push against his throat. “Forgive me, my queen. I only want what’s best for you. For the hive.”

“That isn’t your place anymore, Molt.” With speed like lightning, the tail retracted back into Chrysalis’ being. “Assist the other drones. We move at midnight.”

Molt bowed his head and zipped away.

Still pretending to be asleep, King Carapace allowed himself a small smile as he felt the troublesome old drone’s love for his queen fade just a tiny bit more.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Crystal Empire

“But why can’t I come with you, daddy? I came with you last time.”

Shining Armor smiled down at the little alicorn sitting on the bed next to his packed suitcase. “Because Auntie Luna and Auntie Celestia are sick. And what are they?”

“Ali…ali…alicorns.” The toddler managed, his face breaking out in a wide smile at his success.

“And what are you?”

“I’m an alicorn.”

“Very good.” Shining Armor. “This sickness your aunts have might be affecting only alicorns. I don’t want to risk you or Mommy catching it too.”

“How thoughtful of you.”

His wife’s voice sent a chill through him and he turned to find her standing in the bedroom’s entrance.

“Mommy!” Prince Morning Dew’s little wings flapped quickly and carried him to his mother’s side. “Daddy’s going to see Auntie Luna and Cousin Moon Shadow!”

“So I hear.” Cadance, Empress of the Crystal Empire, strode into her husband’s sleeping quarters and eyed his suitcase. “Morning Dew, why don’t you go get Daddy that picture you drew him?”

Morning Dew gasped with the dramatic surprise that only the very young seemed to possess. “Don’t leave yet, Daddy!” he called from down the hallway.

The silence between the pair was thick enough to cut with a knife. He stared into her eyes and remembered the moment he’d returned home for the first time after his affair had been revealed. In the message she’d sent to Canterlot, Cadance had been forgiving and ready to move on.

All that changed the instant he’d walked into the throne room and informed her of his second marriage.

Shining Armor finally broke from his wife’s gaze. “The message was urgent. I had to pack before I told you.”

“What’s happened?”

“Golden Haze isn’t sure. She just wrote that Celestia and Luna have fallen ill very suddenly. They have to stay on bed rest most of the time to ensure they have enough strength to raise and lower the sun and moon.” He stood on all four hooves and faced her again. “I’m going to see if there’s anything I can do, but mostly to take care of Moon Shadow.”

Cadance rolled her eyes. “Luna’s on bed rest, huh? Cuts out the middlepony for you, doesn’t it?”

Shining Armor sighed and lifted his case with his magic. “Not now, Cadance.”

“No, I understand. Your other wife catches a cold and you come running like the devoted little husband you are.” She smirked. “She’s a lucky mare.”

With an angry snort, he slammed the case to the floor. The crystal surface cracked and spider webbed from the impact. “What more do you want from me?! By what other means shall I atone, o empress?!” He swept the room with a hoof. “You’ve already banished me from our bedroom, barely speak to me during meals, and, lest we forget, seceded our kingdom from Equestria! What more do you want from me?!”

“I… I don’t know.” This time it was she who looked away, her smirk gone. “I just don’t know anymore.”

“You told me that you’d forgiven me.”

“I had… I thought I had.”

“Until I told you about the marriage.”

She nodded.

He exhaled and trotted over to her. “I’ve already apologized for lying to you a hundred times. But you know that I can’t… that I won’t apologize for loving her just as much as I love you.” He reached out and stroked her mane, the first time he’d touched her in months. “Do you know why?”

She took a deep breath and unconsciously rubbed her head against his hoof. “’Because to deny love is among the greatest of sins.’” She looked at him. “You made me quote one of those cheesy fantasy novels you love so much.”

He had forgotten how deep her eyes appeared to be when she was this close to him. “You remembered.”

“I’ll never forget.” She inched forward.

They kissed, and it was as though the past months were but a memory. Sparks flew from the tips of their horns as they touched and the light of truest love flowed through them like water.

They parted, and she nuzzled him. “Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Okay. We’ll talk.”

“We?”

“Yes. Me and you. And then…” She chewed on the next word like it was a piece of long expired fruit. “…Luna.”

Shining Armor stared at her incredulously. “You’re serious?”

“Yes.”

“Why the sudden change of heart?”

“Because I miss you, and if getting you back means I have to share you, then so be it.” She narrowed her eyes at him. “Just don’t expect me to suddenly be okay with it. It’s going to be a process. A very long, drawn out process.”

He nodded. “And the Empire?”

“I was rash, yes, but our fixing our marriage comes before fixing the kingdom.”

He chuckled. “That’s a little selfish.”

She chuckled back. “I have to learn how to be okay with sharing you. I’m allowed a little selfishness.”

“And we’ll have to tell Morning Dew that Moon Shadow isn’t his cousin.”

“One thing at a time, my love.”

They both laughed and kissed again. It felt good to laugh.

For a moment, the world seemed to melt away…

“Mommy? Daddy? What are you doing?”

The pair turned to find the little blue alicorn holding a painted picture with his magic.

Cadance looked back at Shining Armor. “We’re fixing things, Dewdrop. Starting to, anyway.”

He smiled, planted one last kiss on her lips, and then knelt to his son. “What’s this?”

Morning Dew grinned and displayed his latest masterpiece; a number of crudely drawn shapes in various colors, all with just enough detail to make their species identifiable. “It’s me and you and Mommy and Auntie Twilight and Auntie Luna and Moon Shadow and Auntie Celestia!” He took in a great gulp of air. “It’s all of us together.”

He smiled, taking the picture. “I’m sure they’ll love it.” His magic carefully rolled the paper and tucked it into a pocket of his case. “You’ll take care of your mother until I get back?”

Morning Dew carefully stood on his hind legs and attempted a salute.

Shining Armor returned the salute then grasped his son in a warm embrace. “I love you, Dewey.”

“I love you too, Daddy.”

He put him down then faced his wife again. “I’ll be home soon.”

She offered a smile and a nod.

With a final wave at his son, Shining Armor gripped his case with his magic and headed out the door. “Now where’s my escort?”

Cadance waited until Shining’s hoof-steps had faded, then allowed her horn to send a signal out the door. In seconds, a panting orange pegasus clad in armor came galloping in. A heavy saddlebag was strapped to his barrel. Despite his tired demeanor, he managed a salute. “Yes, your highness?”

“Flash, you’re late.”

“Sorry. Short notice. Had to pack.” He managed in between pants.

Cadance rolled her eyes. “Please remember that you’re going on this trip to ensure Shining Armor’s safety.”

“Why else would I have volunteered?”

“Your ‘secret’ relationship with Luna’s student.”

Flash Sentry was suddenly seized by a violent coughing fit.

“Just bring him back to me.” She implored.

Another salute, and he was gone.

Cadance’s magic lifted her little prince onto her back and she smiled at him. “Why don’t we go see if we can sneak some cookies out of the kitchens?”

“Yeah!”

Laughing with her precious foal, Cadance tried to shake off the uneasiness she felt. She tried telling herself that it was simply jitters, nervousness at the inevitable thrashing she would take when she faced Celestia again and was forced to swallow her pride when she talked to Luna.

But something else told her it was fear.

A nagging fear that she would never see her husband again.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Canterlot Castle

Golden Haze, Captain of the Royal Guard, almost choked on her doughnut when the purple alicorn flashed into existence in front of her. “Princess Twilight?” She managed to cough out with a rough bow.

“Hi Golden Haze.” She bid the pegasus rise and looked around the throne room. “I need to speak with Princess Celestia.”

Pounding her chest to clear the last cough, she looked at the young princess. “She’s on bed rest. There was an incident in the caverns and…” But the princess was already gone in another flash of light. Already knowing the destination, Golden Haze spread her wings and blasted down the corridor towards Princess Celestia’s bed chambers. She quickly found the great oaken door and pushed it open. “Your majesty. Pardon the disturbance, but…”

“My most faithful student has come to pay me a visit.” Celestia’s voice was weak but pleased as she looked at the young alicorn that knelt by her side. “Thank you for telling me.”

Golden Haze rolled her eyes good naturedly and made to close the door. “Anytime, your majesty.”

“How did this happen?”

Celestia laughed at her former student’s worried expression. “Nothing serious. I simply over-exerted myself dealing with a pest problem in the caverns. I should be right as rain in no time. Luna’s already up and about.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “What happened to Luna?”

Celestia shrugged. “It would appear that somehow our magics have become linked, probably when I used the Elements on her all those years ago. When I used all of my magic, the exhaustion of force seems to have struck her as well.”

Twilight sighed in relief. “Good. As long as one of you is up and about, then at least the moon and sun will be taken care of.”

Celestia bit her tongue, reminding herself that no one outside of Luna and herself knew of the fact that the celestial bodies were no longer under their control. “That’s correct. And your brother is on his way to assist in taking care of young Moon Shadow.”

Twilight’s worry faded into a wide smile. “I guess I came to Canterlot at just the right time then.”

Celestia nodded. “Now, why do I get the sense this isn’t a pleasure call?”

Twilight’s smile faded. “It’s… kind of a long story.”

Celestia patted the side of her great bed with a hoof in obvious invitation.

Twilight clambered onto the bed as she had done so many times as a filly and told her mentor everything Crescendo had told her. She talked about the translated bits of prophecy and Crescendo’s intense fear of the passages.

Celestia listened until she was done, then knelt her head in silent contemplation. “So… there were secrets that Starswirl kept even from me.”

Twilight nodded. “Is Daring Do still in the city? I have some questions about how she found the lost diary.”

Celestia stiffened. “I’m afraid Miss Do has already departed for parts unknown.”

Twilight sighed. “That mare never can keep her hooves in one place for too long, can she? I’ll just have to write her a letter.”

Celestia said nothing.

“Anyway, I’m telling you all of this because I share Crescendo’s unease.”

“Indeed. Given current events, the mention of the Crystal Throne is more than a little strange for my tastes.”

Twilight jumped off the bed and stretched. “I was thinking of going down into the Archives of Truth. I could read Starswirl’s original diaries again, look for clues about what any of this could mean.”

Celestia smiled. “An excellent idea. Give me another day or so of rest and I’ll happily join you. It’ll be just like old times.”

Twilight returned the smile. “As great as that sounds, I would hate to impede your recovery. I’m sure Brother Veritas can help me translate the texts just fine.”

Celestia stiffened again. “I’m afraid that Brother Veritas is having a… difficult time reading these days. I’m sorry, but I must insist that you do not go to the Archives without me.”

Twilight Sparkle very rarely questioned the goddess who had shaped her into the mare she was today. She saw no reason to start now. “Alright.”

“Thank you.” She stretched and yawned in an almost exaggerated manner. “Now, why don’t you go see your nephew? I feel a nap coming on.”

Twilight nodded and turned. The initial reason for her visit to Canterlot popped into her head at the last second and she once more faced the goddess. “Princess Celestia?”

“Hmm?”

“Fluttershy came to me today and asked me to use the ancient unicorn fertility spell on her.”

Celestia stopped snuggling into her pillow for a moment. “And what did you tell her?”

“That the old spells were dangerous, hardly successful, and sometimes even deadly when cast on non-unicorns.”

“So, if you’ve already set your mind against using them, why come to me?”

“Do you…” Twilight sighed and looked down at the room’s plush carpeting. “Is there anything you could do to help her?

“Have they considered adoption?”

“Yes, but Fluttershy said that she’d prefer other possibilities first. I think she’s scared that a foal she didn’t have herself wouldn’t love her as much.” Twilight looked up hopefully. “Are you saying there’s nothing you can do?”

Celestia considered the question. “No, I don’t think there is. The sad truth is that some mares are simply more fruitful than others. Fluttershy will simply have to be happy that her body was strong enough to bring even one foal into the world.” She took another pillow and cradled it in her forelegs like a stuffed animal. “Some mares never get to feel the joy of motherhood at all.”

Twilight nodded. “I’m sure if you of all ponies could live all these years without knowing that feeling, then Fluttershy will have to be fine having only known it once.”

The pillow clutched against Celestia was suddenly a snoozing infant, her coat almost seeming to glow. Celestia blinked, and it was a pillow again. She felt tears beginning to gather. “But I did experience that feeling, Twilight.”

“You did?”

Celestia looked back at her and smiled. “With you, my most faithful student.”

Twilight returned the smile. “Rest easy, your majesty.”

When Celestia heard the door click back into place, she returned to that one night so long ago. The one night she had spent with her only foal.

She slept, and she dreamed of her little Eden.