• Published 15th Apr 2012
  • 13,703 Views, 173 Comments

Where Your Heart Is - Cloudy Skies



Rainbow Dash begins to question where she truly belongs.

  • ...
16
 173
 13,703

Chapter 2

“Fluttershy!” the insistent voice hissed. Had she not been clinging to Applejack, face buried in her marefriend’s mane, the poor pegasus would probably have been frightened half to death by the rude awakening. Instead, she was merely scared out of her mind. Fluttershy stiffened and clutched Applejack tighter, scanning the room. Applejack nosed the top of her head in her sleep.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary in her cottage bedroom. The mantelpiece clock was quietly ticking away and Angel was sleeping soundly downstairs. All was quiet. The only thing that seemed a little odd was the Rainbow Dash stood in her window.

Fluttershy eeped and shrank back under the covers. Dash was soaking wet, and while her constant heaving for breath and drooping wings might tell part of the tale, it was clear that she wasn’t just tired and sweaty. It also didn’t explain why her mane was matted to her body and speckled with bits of ceramic and flowers, nor did it make her urgent gaze any less unsettling.

“Hey, you, uh, got a minute?” the soaked mare whispered almost casually.

Fluttershy stared. She tried blinking and disbelieving both, but Rainbow Dash just sat there defiantly dripping. When she finally realized how rude she was being, helped along by an annoyed glare, she was quick to nod and extricate herself from Applejack’s embrace. Quiet as she could, she hopped off the bed and tip-hoofed across the bedroom floor.

“Um, not that I mind, and it’s very nice of you to visit,” Fluttershy began, her voice a whisper of a whisper. She was having a hard time rubbing all the sleepiness out of her eyes. “But maybe we could have tea tomorrow instead, if you don’t mind? And... why are you wet? Do you want a towel?”

“Yesterday, you asked me if I wanted to talk,” Rainbow Dash said, brushing the question aside. “Well, I want to talk now,” she added, crossing her forelegs and placing her rump on the narrow windowsill.

“You want to, um, talk. Okay,” Fluttershy repeated, trying her very best to soothe her friend. She made some soft noises before she could stop herself, as if she were trying to soothe some wild animal. It had been an almost subconscious reflex, but Dash must not have noticed, making no comment.

“Yeah,” Dash confirmed, deflating a little and waving a hoof as if swatting an invisible insect. “Talk.”

Even if she wasn’t entirely sure about what was going on, Rainbow Dash was Fluttershy’s oldest friend. She nodded without hesitation and inched a little closer before sitting down, looking up at Dash.

“Okay,” she whispered, offering Dash a quiet smile. “Let’s talk.”

Dash sighed in relief and leaned on the window frame, closing her eyes. Fluttershy re-seated herself and got as comfortable as she could on the wooden floor. Nopony spoke for a long while.

Rainbow Dash opened one eye and pursed her lips. “Well?”

Fluttershy peered over her shoulder to see if there was something vital she’d missed. Was she forgetting something? Had she done something wrong? She opened her mouth to ask, but Rainbow Dash pressed on before she had a chance.

“Aren’t you going to talk?” Dash asked, a little louder.

“I don’t-” Fluttershy stammered.

“What in the name of Celestia’s knickers is going on here?” Applejack groaned, wiggling out from under the blankets. Fluttershy hung her head and sighed softly.

“We’re talking,” Rainbow Dash explained, succeeding only in making the groggy earth pony’s eyebrows seek the roof. “Or I thought we were,” she added with a huff.

“I don’t really know what I’m meant to say, I’m sorry!” Fluttershy squeaked.

“You know, helping stuff,” Dash spat, throwing her hooves up in the air. “I don’t know, I thought you were good at this!” The pegasus turned on the spot, precariously balanced as she was in the window, and made to lift off-

Only to be tugged back in with a mighty heave from Applejack, jaws clamped down on her tail. Fluttershy scrabbled away as Dash thumped to the floor with grunt. The colorful mare was up in a second, rounding on Applejack. She didn’t get a single word in before the farmpony leaned forward and ground their snouts together.

“You come stomping in here in the middle o’ the night causin’ a ruckus, and then try to run off without a word? Oh no, that stuff ain’t gonna fly here, missy,” Applejack snorted. “What in the hay is going on, R.D?”

I can leave if I want to!” Dash yelled back at the top of her lungs, her voice cracking.

The room was completely frozen. Somewhere down on the ground floor, a couple of animals loudly protested to having their sleep interrupted, but the background noise only emphasized the complete quiet of the bedroom. Fluttershy stared at Dash, her eyes wide with fear.

“Okay,” Applejack said, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly. She took a single step back. “You can leave anytime you want, and Ah ain’t gonna stop you. Ah’m right sorry if Ah did wrong by you.”

Dash said nothing, awkwardly scratching one of her knees. Fluttershy walked over to sit next to her. It felt like the right thing to do. While Dash herself hardly even seemed to notice, Applejack offered her a little smile at that, sending her heart aflutter.

“Now what in the hay did you get yourself into? And why’re you all messy?” Applejack pressed. As if on cue, Fluttershy reached out with a gentle hoof to begin extricating from her mane shards of colored ceramic of some sort. The sullen pegasus offered no protest.

“Granny Smith threw it at me,” she offered, shrugging. “A vase. With flowers. And water.”

“Right,” Applejack said, simple as that. In one swift motion she was up, had collected her hat from the nightstand, and was making for the stairs. “Ah’ll go make the tea. Fluttershy, green or black?”

“Green, please,” Fluttershy replied.


“Ow,” Dash complained, but there was no real force behind the word. Fluttershy shook her head and held the rainbow-colored mane parted for a little longer. Only when she was sure that Rainbow Dash only had a harmless scab on her head did she let go and sit back down at her spot by the table.

“Sorry,” she muttered with a final glance at her friend. “You could’ve been hurt. Worse, I mean.”

“So Granny threw a vase at you,” Applejack repeated, trying for the fourth time to pin Dash back on the topic.

“Yeah, the only reason she hit was because I wasn’t exactly expecting that,” Dash said, hunching over and sipping her tea. Apparently displeased with the taste, she stuck out her tongue and started meticulously adding sugar-lumps. First a pair, then a few more. She looked around, confused when the sugar bowl was empty.

“Um, and what happened next?” Fluttershy asked.

“Huh? Well, I tried another window,” Dash said as if it were obvious. “Since when do you drink tea anyways, AJ?” she added with a smirk. The farmpony blushed faintly as she exchanged glances with Fluttershy.

“Nothing wrong with tea,” she growled. “Ah want to know what the hay you were doin’ poking around on the farm!”

“Oh for Pete’s sake,” Dash cried, pushing the entire table away. Her cup tipped over with a serene clatter. The sugary tea-sludge she’d made was too solid to spill much. “I was trying to find Fluttershy, okay? I checked your room, and apparently Applebloom was sleeping there. I woke her up by accident, and then I found Granny Smith. When you weren’t there, well, you had to be here, didn’t you?” she groaned, reaching over to salvage what she could of her ‘tea’. She didn’t so much sip it as she nibbled the goop.

“Yeah, she gets to borrow my bed when we’re over here for the night. But why?” Applejack immediately asked. Fluttershy kept meaning to say something, but she couldn’t stop tossing what she’d seen and heard around inside her head. She was trying to make sense of it, but it didn’t add up.

“To- I don’t know, ‘talk’? It was a stupid idea. I should just head... home,” she muttered, hitching on that last word. Dash stole a glance over at Fluttershy, but Fluttershy herself could only look back at her and smile apologetically.

“Is that what’s bothering you?” Applejack asked, tilting her head. “You fretting about your home up there in the sky?”

Dash opened her mouth to reply, finally looking up at the orange mare seated across the table. Perhaps it had been the slightly kinder tone, Fluttershy wondered? At any rate, Applejack had her full attention for a few seconds. Dash’s scrunched her face up, eyes narrowing.

“Yeah, sure, something like that,” she replied, shrugging. “Why not?”

“Well, darn it, do something about it!” Applejack said, leaning forwards to poke Dash in the chest. “You're about the best worker Ah ever saw once you actually put your back into it. At least, that’s what Ah’m guessing, considerin’ as how Ah don’t think you ever tried, but hey now-”

Fluttershy winced at the little stab, even if she knew that was simply how Applejack and Rainbow Dash worked. Dash didn’t seem to take offense. In fact, she sat up a little straighter.

“You’re Rainbow Dash! You can rebuild that house in a matter of days, Ah reckon,” Applejack continued, shaking her head and smiling. “Stop fussin’ about it and get to it, yeah?”

“Heh, hey, maybe it is that simple,” Rainbow Dash agreed, getting up on her hooves. “I got all the cloudstuff I need, I just need to shape it and harden the walls-”

“Yeah. Wall-hardening, there ya go, whatever that means,” Applejack grinned.

“Floors, find furniture, I can do that,” Dash concluded, pausing to gobble down the contents of her cup in one go. “I mean, I already knew that, but, uh. Thanks.”

“Anytime,” Applejack said, tipping her hat.

“Yeah, I mean, for the tea,” Dash clarified, licking the last of it from her snout. “Later guys!”

“Ah swear, sometimes, ponies just lose sight of what they’re doing,” Applejack murmured when the door shut behind the energized pegasus. She must have seen something in Fluttershy’s eyes; her mirth was gone in an instant.

“Sugarcube? What’s the matter?” she asked, sitting down in front of her and nosing into her neck. Fluttershy puffed out her cheeks and simply let her. It was the most divine feeling in the world, and it was almost a shame to ruin the moment with her own worries.

It would have been, at least. She just wasn’t sure these worries were entirely her own. “I don’t know, I’m sorry,” Fluttershy muttered at length. Applejack’s attentions stopped immediately, and a set of strong hooves gripped her shoulders firmly.

“No, none of that sorry business now,” Applejack implored, those beautiful green eyes boring straight into her. It was impossible to look away. “You think Ah did something wrong? And don’t give me that ‘probably nothing’ hooey, sugar, Ah love both you and Rainbow Dash too much for that.”

“I- I’m really sorry, but I don’t know!” Fluttershy stammered. She both hated and loved it when Applejack did that. She could never lie to her marefriend, nor could she hold a secret from her.

What she could do was not trouble her when she had nothing to go on except a silly little hunch that came out of nowhere.

“I just wonder if, um. I think I need to speak to Pinkie Pie sometime soon, that’s all,” she concluded, sighing. “And I really am quite tired. Can we please go back to bed?”

Applejack held her attention for a little bit longer before finally nodding. Her eyes softened, and she leaned forwards to lick Fluttershy’s snout. “Right behind you, sugar,” Applejack murmured, evidently just as tired as she was.


“That’ll be eight bits,” Pinkie Pie chirped, giving the couple her widest and happiest smile. “Two chocolate muffins, two blueberry-pistachio muffins and a baker’s dozen of today’s special muffin-flavored muffins.”

“Thank you,” the stallion replied, levitating the paper bag with a glimmer of magic before making a pointed glance to either side, surveying the shop in its entirety. “Are you planning on stocking anything but... muffins anytime soon?”

Pinkie followed his gaze as he turned, admiring the neat rows of fresh muffins. Most of the shelves held rows, anyway. In some places, they were less-than-neat stacks or towers of muffins, and that wasn’t counting the muffin replica of Sugarcube Corner on the table by the window. Pinkie frowned and considered the question that she didn’t really quite remember any more. The words the stallion had used were already getting a little hazy in her mind, so she settled for considering the muffins, instead.

“I keep trying to get a hold of good colored sprinkles for my muffins,” she replied, tilting her head. “Do you have any?”

“I... am afraid I don’t,” came the reply, accompanied by a nervous chuckle.

“And those would still be muffins,” the mare stood next to him replied. “We just usually buy some toffee every Monday, and-”

“Toffee!” Pinkie interrupted her. Given a purpose, she narrowed her eyes and bounced over to one of the nearby display cases. She could smell toffee nearby, assailing her twitching snout with its sugary, buttery dreaminess.

With deadly precision and a tiny little hoof-fu yell - so quiet as to not scare the customers away - she struck. Muffins fell to her savage hoof-chop, and silence reigned as she surveyed the battlefield. The treacherous vanilla muffins scattered before her, revealing-

“...Toffee muffins?” Pinkie asked. “I didn’t know you could do that. I don’t even remember making those.” She sat back on her haunches, both very pleased with this, and a little disappointed that she’d have to disappoint her customers.

It didn’t matter in the end. The bell above the door jingled, and she caught only a glimpse of the pair as they left the shop. They would likely be her last customers for the day, what with it being five minutes ‘til she was supposed to close the shop. She was left alone.

“Silly filly,” Pinkie Pie giggled, grabbing one of the toffee-muffins and hopping over to sit behind the counter like a salesmare ought to. She wasn’t alone. Not even a little bit. She had tons of friends, and everypony in Ponyville knew her name. She could head over to see what Twilight was doing anytime, or perhaps ask if Rarity had any new hats to show her. She could even trot all the way over to Sweet Apple Acres and see what Fluttershy and Applejack were up to; they were always so sweet, and so much fun to be around, too!

And then she’d come back to Sugarcube Corner to be alone again. Just she, Gummy, a cartload of muffins and all too little sprinkles. That was how it had been for the longest time - the loneliness that wasn’t loneliness at all, not the muffins or the sprinkles.

Pinkie Pie rested her head on the counter like the silly grump she was. Something was missing. It wasn’t just that Rainbow Dash had left and that she’d miss her. She could head out and ask if Dashie wanted to go pranking right now. No, something else was missing, something beyond the super-fantastic feeling that she had the greatest friends a pony could ever want.

She missed the smell of Dash that always lingered when she walked by. She missed the way Dash could make her feel just by being around. It felt like something was missing from inside of Pinkie Pie, and it was a terrible way to feel. She was like a cake without filling or a donut without a hole, but she didn’t know how to fix it.

The bell jingled again. Pinkie Pie looked up and smiled even though it hurt. She was about to tell whomever it was that she was closed and that she was really sorry for forgetting to lock the door, but she didn’t.

“Hi, Fluttershy,” she instead called. She nudged the forgotten, half-eaten toffee thing with her snout. “Want a tofuffin? I think they’re really more toffee shaped like a muffin, but it might catch on,” she said, eyeing the borderline mishap critically. She really didn’t remember a whole lot about last night other than an urge to bake a lot of muffins and an annoyance with the lack of sprinkles.

“Oh, um, that’s okay,” Fluttershy replied, smiling back at her. “Should I lock the door? I mean, if you’re closing-” she offered, turning to do just that when Pinkie nodded.

Pinkie drew breath and got up on all fours. There was no sense in getting somepony else down just because she was silly these days. She shook her mane and stretched, bouncing over to give Fluttershy a nuzzle. “What’s up, Fluttershy?” she asked.

Fluttershy opened her mouth, but hesitated. Pinkie Pie simply tilted her head and waited. Sometimes you just had to give Fluttershy a little time, and that was okay. It worked a lot better than asking her over and over again very quickly, Pinkie had learned. When the timid mare finally found her voice, she was looking away.

“Is Rainbow Dash okay?”

Pinkie Pie flinched, but she kept smiling. “Oh, of course,” she giggled. “She’s going to rebuild her house, and I bet it’s going to be super nice! Tank left this morning, and he hasn’t come back, or, well, come visit since Dashie doesn’t really live here anymore, but I guess that means it’s going really well!”

Fluttershy looked up and wore the beginnings of a frown. “But she doesn’t want to. I think. Did you ask her to move out? I-I mean, if you did, that’s okay, but-”

“No, you silly filly,” Pinkie giggle-snorted. Her face hurt. “She’s really happy with it. She was out of here like a, um. I can’t really think of something faster than Dashie, but it was really really quick!”

Fluttershy’s frown only deepened, and Pinkie’s smile got another crack. The pegasus mare furrowed her brow. “Are you okay, Pinkie Pie?”

Perhaps it was the sweat dripping from her brow that was giving her away. That, or the fact that she could feel her lips trembling, one side of her mouth abjectly refusing to smile. Whatever the reason, Fluttershy saw clean through her. Pinkie swallowed and shook her head from side to side, very carefully.

“I’m maybe not having the best day ever, I think,” Pinkie suggested. She tried clearing her throat, but she still sounded like a very different pony. A tiny Pinkie Pie with a not-so-tiny cold. All the smiles in the world had disappeared once she let go of her own. “I baked so many muffins, and I don’t know why. It was all I could think of,” she sniffled. “And I still don’t have my rainbow-colored sprinkles!”

Fluttershy reached out to hug her, but Pinkie was quicker. She latched on to the pegasus and closed her eyes as she buried herself in Fluttershy’s mane. A moment later she could feel the soothing warmth of the pegasus’ wings wrapping around her.

“You really love her?” Fluttershy asked, a whisper so quiet that Pinkie Pie could pretend she’d never heard it if she wanted to.

It was the missing ingredient and the third layer of the cake. The sprinkles she never found had a name. Once she let herself consider the possibility, her heart started beating faster and faster until she thought she might explode on the spot. At the very least, Pinkie thought, she would make a very pretty explosion, because right now, it felt like all her insides had been turned into multi-colored sugar. She shook.

“Pinkie Pie, you’re hurting me,” Fluttershy squeaked, and Pinkie instantly let go before she choked one of her bestest of friends, condemning her to a life of blue-faced blueness and endless ridicule for looking like a blueberry.

“I think I do!” Pinkie chirped. “I totally do!”

Pinkie got up and bounced in tight little circles around Fluttershy, humming blindly and tunelessly. Of course she loved all her friends and everypony else besides, but there was only one thing that explained the hole in her heart. Rainbow Dash was special to her, and the very thought filled her with joy.

Until she remembered there wasn’t a whole lot of reason to celebrate. Celebrations were like parties, and parties were for when something special had happened, or was about to happen. She didn’t feel like celebrating the last thing that had happened, really. Pinkie halted her bouncing on the spot, staring at nothing at all.

“But Dashie left, and she doesn’t want to be with me,” Pinkie said, the freight train that was her happiness rapidly running out of steam. “She doesn’t want to be with me,” she repeated, coming to face Fluttershy. The yellow mare shook her head with a defiant smile.

“I don’t think Rainbow Dash knows what she wants, even if you do,” Fluttershy said, sitting back on her haunches. “But, um, maybe you should talk?”

“But what if she doesn’t like me anymore? What if she left because she doesn’t like me or my room or Gummy or the way I sometimes pretend I’m sleeping and tickle her because the way she laughs or pokes me back is so cute?” Pinkie said, aghast.

“I, um. That’s- I- I don’t really know about that,” Fluttershy stammered, a faint blush adorning her cheeks. “I think talking to her is the only way to really find out.”

“Talking? I can’t talk!” Pinkie cried. “I mean, I can talk, but I can’t! I have to watch the shop! Sure, it involves a lot of talking, but Rainbow Dash’s house is at the edge of town and I need to bake and clean and get the shop ready for tomorrow! Cakes are at stake!”

Fluttershy hesitated a bit, glancing about the shop. “W-where are the Cakes?”

“No cakes!” Pinkie explained. “Only muffins, that’s the problem! Oh, unless you mean the Cakes you shouldn’t eat. They’re not coming back yet. They had to stay for a little longer because of the foals, and now I have to watch the shop for a whole week!

“Oh my,” Fluttershy gasped. “All by yourself?”

“Yeppers,” Pinkie responded, frowning. She really hadn’t found a good solution to that yet. As she spoke, she bounced over to fetch the letter from underneath a precariously balanced stack of muffins.

“They thought that since Rainbow Dash had been so nice and helpful so far, it wouldn’t be a problem,” she explained as she hoofed the letter over to Fluttershy. She’d read it many times over the course of the night, but she read along with her all the same.

Pinkie Pie,

We will be staying in Canterlot for another week. Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake have come down with the Pony Flu. We will be in touch soon. Apologies for the late notice, but we are more than confident that you and Rainbow Dash can handle the Corner on your own.

-Mr and Mrs. Cake

“Oh my goodness,” Fluttershy muttered, covering her mouth with a hoof.

“It is too a problem!” Pinkie complained. “Hello? I’m a pony down here! And it’s the most fantastic super-fun pony too, and I can’t go talk to her and tell her that I miss her because she’s not here!”

Pinkie pouted and looked up at Fluttershy expecting a sympathetic look, but the usually shy mare’s eyes were steely determination. Pinkie blinked, tilting her head. It was one of those things that looked funny, but she couldn’t make herself laugh because it was also a little scary.

“Um, Fluttershy?” Pinkie asked, watching Fluttershy get up and set course for the door. She had half a mind to ask if Fluttershy wanted to share a muffin and play a game because she didn’t really feel like being alone, but something was clearly up.

“I’m going to go talk to the girls,” Fluttershy said, simply. “Good night, Pinkie Pie. Um, try not to worry too much, okay? I’m sure everything will work out.”

It was so much easier to trust Fluttershy than it was to worry anyway. Pinkie nodded and smiled. It wasn’t the type of grins she saved for when she was about to eat an entire cake in one go, nor was it the huge smiles she kept in reserve for special occasions and parties; it was a small smile that was so honest, Applejack would be proud.

“Okie-dokie,” Pinkie said, feeling a little sleepy already. She was starting to feel the effects of yesterday. She never really managed to fall asleep again after Dash had left, and the time since then was a mess of baking and sales. She was sure she had at least one more batch of muffins in her, though.


Pinkie Pie yawned, stretched, and tapped Gummy gently on his back so he’d let go of her tail. She was already out of bed and halfway to the door when she realized she hadn’t actually gone to bed yesterday. The last she remembered was dragging a pillow to the kitchen sink so she could sit and look for Dashie in the sky. She had been waiting for the muffins to cool enough that she could get them out of the forms.

And then she’d sleepwalked up to bed? Pinkie Pie scratched her head, pausing in the middle of her room. She stole a glance out the window, only now realizing that she should have opened the shop hours ago, but any panic that she might’ve felt at disappointing the Cakes was intercepted by the ring of the cash register from downstairs.

Pinkie Pie was having a very confusing morning, and this confusing morning didn’t involve fireworks or even a single barrel of marmalade. She briefly considered getting her infiltration gear, but before she could even reach for her rubber duck, Rarity’s voice rang out loud and clear from below.

“That’ll be five bits, darling. Thank-you ever so much!”

Pinkie galloped downstairs as quickly as she could, fuelled by an almost painful curiosity. When the last flight of stairs spat her out onto the ground floor, she nearly bumped into Twilight’s flank before she skidded to a halt. The oblivious unicorn was happily chatting away with a trio of young colts, each of them looking very nervous.

“-which is why Starglitter postulated that if we can’t easily identify what makes us ponies, if we have to research sentience, then it’s paradoxically not worth researching in the first place,” Twilight said. “Ah, wait, what was the question again?”

“I just wanted to know if these were any good,” a young green colt admitted in a squeaky voice, gesturing to a nearby set of strawberry treats.

“Oh. Well, I haven’t tasted them,” Twilight admitted. “But if you can give me a list of objective criteria I’d be happy to research-”

“Uh, we gotta go, don’t we? I think mom’s calling,” another of the colts suggested.

“Uh-huh,” the last of them agreed, signalling their retreat out through the open doors of Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie Pie waved at them, but they hardly seemed to notice.

“Good morning, Pinkie Pie,” Rarity chimed from over by the register, gracing her with a smile. “Slept well, I take it?”

“Oh hi, Pinkie!” Twilight added, turning around to face Pinkie. The shop was empty now save for the two unicorns. Pinkie frowned and held up a hoof.

“Twilight, you’re a librarian, not a salespony,” Pinkie explained. “And Rarity, you’re a dressmaker. Are you as confused as I am?” she gasped. Maybe they were sleepwalking too, right now? She experimentally poked Twilight in the chest. This served to do very little except annoy the purple mare.

“Fashionista, not dressmaker, if you please,” Rarity corrected her.

Pinkie chewed her bottom lip. They weren’t denying the sleepwalking bit. She wasn’t entirely certain whether or not sleepwalking ponies could speak, though. She leaned forwards and peered into Twilight’s eyes, bumping snouts with her. She looked very discomfited, but it could just be a very convincing sleep.

“New batch of cinnamon swirls coming up next,” Applejack called, sticking her head out from the kitchen. “Oh. Morning Pinkie Pie. Uh. Beg pardon, but why’re you- uh, whatever you’re doin’ right now?”

Pinkie gasped. “You’re not all asleep, and I’m not asleep because I just woke up!” she exclaimed. “That explains everything! Well, except for why you’re all at Sugarcube Corner baking and selling and doing what I was supposed to be doing except that I fell asleep,” she added, frowning hard at the three ponies, each in turn.

“Fluttershy told us you were stranded running the Corner all alone,” Twilight explained. “So we all decided to help! Spike could stand to get to try having some more responsibility at the Library, and this is tons of fun,” she concluded, beaming.

“When we came by early this morning, you were asleep in the kitchen,” Rarity said, shaking her head with a little tsk. “The place was a mess, to say the least.”

“So here we are,” Applejack shrugged and grinned. “Don’t you worry about a thing, sugarcube.”

Pinkie nudged Twilight on the flank. Though she initially objected wordlessly, it was easy enough to corral her over to Rarity and Applejack. When best-of-best friends did super-nice things, it called for a group hug. She snared them all and hugged them tightly, sharing the warmth that glowed deep within her.

“You guys really are the best,” Pinkie chirped, sighing. “I think I got it from here though. Gummy can watch the shop while I bake some more muff-”

Applejack shook her head, slipping out from under the hug. “Oh no missy, that ain’t the plan.”

Pinkie tilted her head, looking askance at her friends, but none of them spoke. Fluttershy had come in from the kitchen, and was half-hiding behind her mane as she sought Pinkie’s eyes.

“Um, I sort of told them everything,” Fluttershy said, swallowing. Surrounding Pinkie now were sympathetic smiles, or worse, sympathetic not-smiles. Rarity put a hoof on Pinkie’s shoulders, and Twi rubbed a knee with a hoof.

Pinkie Pie giggled and nudged Rarity’s hoof away with her snout. “Aw, it’s no big deal. Why are you all so sad?” she asked, receiving a bunch of uncertain, hesitant looks in return. “Is that why you’re here? To mope at me?” she laughed and hopped about.

Fluttershy was the first one both to drop the silly frowny mask and to speak. “Oh, you’re not mad at me?” she asked.

Pinkie grabbed her in a hug, tackling her to the ground with a thud. “Mad at you? You are the silliest, cutest thing ever! Thank you so much for helping me! Ooh, and for all the baking!” she chirped, glancing around. Her friends had filled the shop up with all manner of tasty treats from apple tarts to zeppoles.

“I’m sure that I’ll do the Cakes proud now. So many tasty things to sell,” Pinkie concluded, still standing over Fluttershy. The prone pegasus muttered something too faint for Pinkie to hear. Pinkie cocked her ear, but she didn’t seem keen on repeating herself, burying her face in her pink mane.

“She said that that’s not why we’re here, darling,” Rarity said, pursing her lips. “We’ll handle the Corner for as long as it takes.”

“Aw, you’re really sweet, but I got a handle on it,” Pinkie protested, bringing a hoof up to perform a mock salute. “All systems are go, captain!”

Twilight cleared her throat. “We’re here so you can go talk to Rainbow Dash,” she said, her voice slow and clear.

“Oh!” Pinkie said, blinking as things suddenly made a lot more sense, even though she almost wished it didn’t. “She told you that everything. I thought she told you about the tofuffin failure.”

“It’s plain to see you got some things you need to work out,” Applejack added, shrugging.

“I’m fine, really,” Pinkie began. “I feel like I could throw a-”

“No!” Rarity cut her off. “Absolutely not. No parties,” she snapped, putting her head to Pinkie’s flank and pushing her towards the door. “Get out there and do whatever it is you have to do to make both yourself and Rainbow Dash happy, and tell us if you need anything else. No parties!”

“But-”

“None! Out!”

Pinkie Pie soon found herself sitting on the ground outside of her own home and store. Fluttershy gave her an apologetic look from the window, and there was little for her to do except smile back before her gaze was inevitably pulled to a certain spot in the distance.

If she looked high over the rooftops, she could barely catch a glimpse of an indistinct heap of clouds at the edge of town. Pinkie licked her lips. She had no idea what she was going to say to Dash that wouldn’t just make Dash dislike her more, but she owed it to her friends to at least try to talk to her. She could always share her little tofuffin story. Surely that would count?