• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 1,611 Views, 41 Comments

The Song of My People - The Ponytrician



On a diplomatic mission to the Zebra lands, Princess Twilight learns something about communication.

  • ...
5
 41
 1,611

Let me sing it!

Princess Twilight Sparkle was gently teased from the depths of slumber by the deep, rich song that flowed into the unfamiliar, shadowed room. Now awake, she lay abed for a moment, listening to that song while observing the large wooden masks, colourful gourds, over-sized kettle drums, and ceremonial spears that decorated her bedchamber.

“Jus’ five more minutes, Twilight,” Spike muttered from the smaller bed adjacent to Twilight’s own, turning over with a rustle of blankets.

Twilight smiled at the remark of her number one assistant, and slipped from beneath her covers, tiptoeing as quietly as she could across woven-reed mats covering the floor. She carefully opened a door and slipped out onto the balcony. There, she gazed out across the Zebrican capital at numerous zebras, ponies, and other races that already walked the streets, already busy in the brassy light of dawn; all the while that same sonorous melody reverberated throughout the city. Twilight was now able to identify the source; a tall, minareted tower close to the center of the capital.

There was a gentle rapping at the bedchamber door.

“Come in,” Twilight called, turning away from the spectacle of the streets below. The steady snores emanating from Spike’s bed indicated that he still hadn't been disturbed.

“Your Royal Highness, I’m glad to find you awake.” Golden Charm, Equestrian ambassador to the Zebrican lands, pushed open the door and stepped into the room. “We tend to be early risers here in the far south; it’s so much nicer to get things done in the cool of the morning before the heat of the day really sets in.”

Golden Charm was an elderly yet spritely unicorn gentlestallion, grey of mane and tail, and navy blue of coat; a golden laurel wreath cutie mark adorned his flanks.

“I’m usually more of a night owl, myself,” Twilight confessed, stepping from the balcony and back into the room. “But... that song…”

“Ah, I understand,” Golden Charm nodded knowingly. “I've become so used to it, I forget how it can take newly arrived visitors. Would Her Highness like me to translate?”

“Actually, this might be a perfect chance to practice my Zebrican,” Twilight replied brightly. Turning an ear back towards the open window, her brow furrowed in concentration and her lips moved as she silently translated.

“Oh!” She gave a start of surprise. “They’re singing about me!” She listened further. “Well, they’re singing about my visit. Now they’re singing about… hoofball scores?” She glanced at Golden Charm, a puzzled expression marring her features. The puzzlement deepened. “And now the song is about… a weather forecast?” Her expression turned sheepish as the song slowly faded away, replaced by the growing background noise of the bustle of a busy city. “I guess that my Zebrican isn't as good as I thought it was.”

Golden Charm gave a rich, deep chuckle. “Actually, Your Highness, that was spot on,” he sat on his haunches and gently clapped his forehooves together. “Brava! I think that our zebra friends will be greatly impressed if you are able to converse with them in their native language.”

“Thank you, sir,” Twilight blushed. “But… what an odd song.”

It was Golden Charm’s turn to act surprised. “I thought Your Highness would be familiar with this particular local custom? I’m certain it was in the briefing material provided for the visit.”

Twilight gave a guilty glance at her saddlebags beside her bed, bulging with unread books and scrolls. “I’m afraid my departure from Ponyville was somewhat hastily arranged, and an open sky-chariot isn't exactly conducive to study.” However it certainly wasn't from lack of trying; Twilight sadly recalled her attempts at studying the material mid-flight had resulted in one of her favourite bookmarks now leading an existence of wind-tossed freedom somewhere over the dusty Appleloosan Plains.

“Indeed, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Golden Charm nodded amiably, “Princess Celestia explained in her dispatch why you were attending the delegation in the stead of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. I do hope Her Highness is feeling better soon.” The older stallion rose to his hooves with a small hop. “Not to worry, Princess; I’m sure that we’ll have you up to speed in no time at all. Besides,” he gave Twilight a roguish wink, “if royalty knew everything, it would put royal advisers and diplomats like myself out of work now, wouldn't it?”

Twilight giggled, then adopted a more serious expression. “Please, just call me Twilight.”

Golden Charm inclined his head. “As you wish, Twilight - but only when we are in private. When we are in public, and especially at the delegation meetings, you must always be Her Royal Highness, Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria.”

Twilight made a face. “Ugh, that’s just so cumbersome; but I do understand the necessity.” She smiled and giggled again. “Although I think that we've become slightly side-tracked; you were about to tell me about that peculiar song?”

“Ah, yes.”

Golden Charm ushered Twilight towards a pair of matched settees and table, set into an alcove of the guest chamber that was clearly designed for entertaining visitors. Once the pair were seated comfortably, the Ambassador cleared his throat and began.

“What you heard what not a song, as such, but rather the dissemination of current events and similar information by the Guild of Town Criers. Zebrican, as well you know, is very much a tonal language, and to the casual ear can sound a great deal like singing.”

Twilight blushed slightly at the memory of the first time she heard native-spoken Zebrican, when she had mistaken Zecora’s nursery rhymes for an evil incantation. She gestured for Golden Charm to continue.

“The origins of the Guild of Town Criers is somewhat unclear, but what is known is that a deep and powerful voice is a prerequisite for any member. Theoretically, anyone can join, and while there are some zebra, pony, and even giraffe members, the vast majority of the Guild is staffed by wildebeest. Their natural bass and baritone voices, combined with excellent lung capacity, make the wildebeest perfectly suited to the role.”

“Fascinating,” Twilight exclaimed, pondering the potential for the implementation of a similar service in Ponyville.

“As I stated before, the primary purpose is keeping the populace up to date with current events and information; to this effect there are three songs sung each day - sunrise, noon, and sunset.”

“Three per day?” Twilight interrupted, her mind aflame with the possibilities for Equestria. Not just current events, but educational services as well; science, history, even excerpts from classical literature. She silently wondered if she could convince some of the Guild’s wildebeest members to visit her when she returned to Ponyville.

“Oh, yes, indeed. Though the most extensive and by far most informative update occurs with the sunset broadcast, when the entirety of the day's key events are recapped. Using this method, zebras and ponies can always keep themselves completely informed and up-to-date just by listening to the evening gnus.”