• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,243 Views, 31 Comments

Pinkie's Secret - Winter_Solstice



The pressure of being eternally optimistic builds to the point where Pinkie can't stand it any longer, and she must find a release.

  • ...
3
 31
 1,243

Showdown

Two Weeks Earlier

A trio of new unicorns had arrived late one evening at Sugarcube Corner, and they had quickly made themselves unwelcome.

“Hurry up with our orders, earther!”

The big unicorn’s use of the epithet caused his two other friends to guffaw loudly. Emboldened by the lack of response from the earth ponies, they each took their time “accidently” spilling cider on the floor around the table. Pinkie barely kept her temper as she brought over a fresh round of drinks and muffins to them.

The trio had soon found themselves alone as the local ponies had one by one gotten up and left.

“And make sure these muffins are fresh this time! If this were Canterlot we wouldn’t have had to ask!”

Mr. Cake had heard enough. “Then why don’t you go back to Canter-“ he began before his wife shushed him.

“You say something, Grandpa?” the first unicorn challenged. One of the others laughed and snorted cider out his nose. The revolting spray almost hit Pinkie, but she dodged it at the last moment. She gritted her teeth and was just about to say something very un-Pinkielike when the bell over the front door tinkled, and in walked Princess Twilight.

“I was told there was a problem here,” she said, fixing them all with a glare, “and I can see exactly who it is.” She was used to Ponyville residents not treating her with deference, and in fact she insisted on it, but the look she got from these three was pure insolence. This would not do.

She walked over to them, taking in at once the spilled cider on the floor. “Mind explaining yourselves?”

“We weren’t doing anything, Your Highness,” said the first one, his voice thick with sarcasm. “We’re just messing with these Ponyville types.”

Twilight’s scowl deepened. “These Ponyville types are my friends. What are your names, and what are you doing here?”

The lead unicorn looked down and brushed an imaginary crumb off his golden brown coat before answering. Swiveling so his moneybags cutie mark could be seen, he finally said, “See this? This cutie mark means I’m one of the Fortunes. Spencer Fortune, to be exact, and these are my friends Porter and Spindle. Maybe you’ve heard of my father, MISTER Fortune?”

Twilight ignored that last statement. “I asked what you’re doing here.”

Spencer heaved a huge, put-upon sigh, and said, “My father told me I could travel all over Equestria, so we stopped here because we wanted to see Ponyville. My friends and I are just looking to spend some bits in this tiny town. What’s wrong with that?”

Twilight stared at him, then at his sycophants, and said, “If you have to ask, then I don’t have an answer for you. What you are going to do is apologize to my friends, clean up this mess, pay your bill and be on the first train come morning.”

Spencer just smirked. “I don’t think so, Princess. I don’t apologize to servants, and I know my rights. We haven’t broken any laws. And as for this mess,” here he took out a small pouch of bits and dropped it at Pinkie’s feet, “this should cover it.” Turning to his companions he added, “C’mon. There’s gotta be someplace entertaining around here-HEY! Let go!” Twilight had seized him in her magic and brought him face to face with her.

“I wasn’t asking you to apologize. I was telling you. Now.”

“You can’t do this to ME!” cried Spencer as he struggled in vain to free himself. Porter and Spindle stayed silent, finally realizing who they were dealing with.

“That is an illogical statement, as clearly I can “do this to you.” Last chance,” she added.

“Okay! Okay, I’m SORRY! I’m sorry, now let me go!”

Twilight held him aloft a moment more, then abruptly dropped him. Spencer landed heavily, then glared daggers at her.

“My father will hear of this,” he promised.

“If your father isn’t appalled by your behavior, then perhaps he needs to be taught a lesson as well. Now then, I believe if you ask politely, my friend there can get you some mops and a broom. You have one more thing to do before you go.”

He stared at her. “You’re not serious.”

Twilight simply met his gaze. After a few moments he dropped his eyes, and angrily said, “Porter! Spindle! Get those mops from that earther--- I mean, pink pony and let’s get this done!”

Quickly they cleaned up the floor around their table, or rather Porter and Spindle did most of the work while Spencer angrily brushed a few crumbs off the table for them to sweep up. His face became more and more flushed as Twilight, Pinkie and the Cakes watched them.

After a few moments Twilight said, “That’s good enough. You may go now.”

She stood partially blocking the door, which forced them to walk around her. Porter and Spindle did so with eyes downcast, each mumbling an apology. Spencer gritted his teeth but kept silent as he walked slowly out.

After they had gone Twilight turned to Pinkie and the Cakes. “I’m sorry that happened to you all. I’ll make sure those three leave in the morning.”

“Thanks, Twilight!” said Pinkie. “We don’t often get such mean meanypants as those guys. I’m glad you were here!”

“Yes, Princess, thank you!” said Mr. and Mrs. Cake, bowing as they did so.

Twilight waved them to their feet. “You know I prefer you didn’t do that. It’s alright; I’m just happy I was able to help.”

-----

Porter and Spindle walked behind Spencer, wisely saying nothing to him or to each other as he fumed. They’d never seen him so angry, and they did not want to draw his attention to themselves. Porter’s resolve lasted until Spencer finally spoke.

“I don’t care if she is a Princess! I’m gonna make her pay for that!” Spencer growled as he and his companions went back to their rooms.

The other two exchanged a look, and then Porter finally said, “W…Wait a minute, boss…she is a Princess, like Celestia or Luna. You can’t do anything to her…nor…nor should you.” Here he gulped nervously. He certainly wasn’t used to speaking against his meal ticket.

Spencer stopped abruptly, then slowly turned and faced them both. After staring them down, he said, “Maybe you’d like to go back where I found you both. Would you like that?” They shook their heads. “That’s what I thought. Now shut up and let me do the thinking.” He turned and continued on his way, with the others following meekly behind.

As they walked up the steps to the Inn, Spencer held up one hoof and blocked Porter. “Why don’t you take the evening and think about speaking to me like that? I’m sure somepony as “sensitive” and “noble” as you can find somewhere to sleep tonight.” Without another word he walked in, with Spindle close on his heels. Spindle looked back for a second, but didn’t speak as the door shut behind him, leaving Porter out on the street.

Porter looked around. He had no bits of his own, and this looked like the only place that had rooms for hire in any case. The night was clear, with no sign of inclement weather, so that was good, in case he had to simply bunk out under the stars. But Spencer, Spindle and he had made themselves unwelcome, as they always had. Nopony would take him in, and he couldn’t blame them.

He gritted his teeth in his own turn as he remembered the circumstances that had brought him to this pass, and it was with no small amount of shame. He and Spindle had just been a couple of regular street ponies, with no ambitions of their own other than to get through the day without having to beg or barter what little they had for a decent night’s rest and some meager food. Then they had both met Spencer, and all it had taken was making him laugh once. They had soon discovered this pony was rolling in bits, and freely passed them out, at times, to those that amused him. So they both had taken on the role of flank-kissers and “yes-ponies”, for it sure beat living next to a dumpster.

He had relished the temporary fame he enjoyed, if only to be seen as somepony important, and if only for a little while. But now Spencer had shown a part of himself about which he seriously had reservations.

The Princesses were more than just rulers, they were the reason for everyponies’ existence. To defy them was to defy their own purpose, something which, even as low as he’d sunk, he did not want to do. Still, what was he to do? Go back to living hoof to mouth? Maybe do some menial labor just so he could eat but still have to sleep wherever? He doubted he’d ever make enough bits to have his own place. No, for better or worse, he’d chosen his path, and he was stuck with it. Indeed, his cutie mark was a hoof with bits being dropped into it, highlighted against his light orange coat. So this had to be his destiny.

Heaving a deep sigh, he looked around for a place in which he could sleep unnoticed, and just hope that by morning all would be forgiven by his benefactor.

About an hour had gone by, and he was just settling into sleep in an alleyway, when he heard his name being softly called. Surprised, he looked up. There, at the head of the alley, stood Spindle.

“I thought I’d find you somewhere like this,” he said.

“What are you doing here? If Spencer finds out you’ll be sleeping outside too.”

Spindle waved a hoof dismissively. “I’m pretty sure he’s asleep. Besides, you and I have looked out for each other far longer than we’ve known him. I’m not about to let you sleep on the street when I have a room I can share.”

Porter got to his feet and followed him out. “Thanks, buddy.” He indicated the alleyway. “Places like that bring back too many bad memories.”

Spindle looked at him as they walked. “Then why did you go back there?”

He shrugged. “Where else was I going to go? I’m sure we’ve ticked off enough ponies in this town, just like the ones before this one, and the ones before that, so nopony would have wanted me under their roof.”

“Yeah, that’s true.” Spindle was silent for a moment, and then he added, “I don’t know how much more I can take from this guy. He’s alright when he’s alright, but like you said he shouldn’t try to do anything to that Princess, and I really don’t want to be around him if he does.”

Porter stopped abruptly. “Then why are we going back there? Just to have a roof over our heads tonight, only to be treated the way I was again tomorrow?”

Spindle reached back and pulled him forward, making him resume walking. “Don’t be stupid. You and I don’t have a bit to our names. We’re not going back to sleeping in alleys and doing petty theft just to eat!” he said in a fierce undertone. “You just stick with me and say as little as possible to Spencer. For tonight, you can sleep on the couch in my room.”

After a few moments he added, “I have a plan.”

“What sort of plan?”

Spindle was silent for a few steps, then said, “It’s only a matter of time before he gets bored with both of us. Before that happens we’re both going to need lots of bits and the assurance of lots more. We can only make him laugh so many times. Before I’m done, you and I will be the ones laughing.”

They made it back to the Inn. “Go around to the back door, and I’ll sneak you in. Be gone before that guy wakes up in the morning.”

Porter hesitated again. Spindle looked at him with irritation. “Now what?”

“He’s a jerk, but you don’t plan on hurting him, right? We don’t need that kind of trouble.”

“Is that what’s bothering you? C’mon, you know me better than that. I’ve never deliberately hurt another pony in my life, and I’m not about to start. You just go back there and wait. I’ll let you in and we’ll talk about it upstairs.”