• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,664 Views, 78 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 1 - SmokeShadow95



Spike learns the secrets of Dragon Magic and must save Equestria from a threat of Darkness

  • ...
11
 78
 3,664

Ch.7 A Bright Goodbye

It was not too much later when all the commotion with the Black Colts was resolved. Apparently, after Spike and Shadow had reduced their numbers they had started to retreat a little. Then the guards took Spike's advice and even more of their numbers were taken out. But there were still questions. Where did they come from? Why did they attack now? What were they after? And that did not count the many questions that Cadance had for Spike. He disliked every aspect of the meeting that was about to go down. He met Cadance in the thrown room. She seemed very stressed. Way more than usual. She saw Spike come in and dismissed the guards and ponies that were there with questions. It was very quiet once all the other ponies were gone. It was an uncomfortable silence.

“How bad is it,” Spike finally asked to break the silence.

“Many of the guards around the city were injured and even more of the Palace guards are in need of doctors,” Cadance said very matter of fact, “Including Shining Armor. I am told he is going to make a full recovery.”

“That is good to hear, Princess,” Spike said.

“Yes, it is,” Cadance said, “Which brings us to the next topic. How in Equestria did you do those things, Spike?! You fought off four Black Colts in the dining hall and another one in a laundry room. What were even doing jumping off the ledges of my palace? Explain yourself.”

Cadance was looking Spike dead in the eyes. The intensity of her eyes was somewhat scary, but Spike could tell it was not anger behind her eyes. It was passion. Caring, compassion, love, and everything that made her the great princess that she is. All she wanted were answers. She deserved to know and Spike could not lie to her anymore.

“I have been learning dragon magic,” He flatly stated, “That is what I used to defeat the Black Colts.”

“Since when can dragons do magic,” Cadance said with genuine surprise.

“It is a forgotten time in Equestrian history,” Spike explained, “I have found and read many books on dragon magic.”

“What I saw that day,” Cadance said with an edge in her voice, “Was amazing! I have never seen anything like that before! Incredible! Is that why your eyes glowed green? And how you healed Shining Armor? You used dragon magic? Can other dragons be taught to do this magic?”

“I do not think so, Princess,” Spike said, “I had a spark of magic already. What you saw was the flame burning.”

“Oh, I see,” Cadance said with a smile, “Well, then. I think I can keep this our little secret.”

“You might want to contact Luna,” Spike said with a blush, “Uh, I mean Princess Luna. She also knows.”

“I'll make sure to do that,” She said happily, “You should go now. Try to stay out of sight. I have something planned and don't want anypony to see you until then.”

Spike was a little shocked at Cadance's reaction. He was expecting something a little more sad. But it was not like that. Cadance was just amazed at what Spike did. I guess the news that Shining Armor was going to be fine really improved her mood. Spike could understand that. He was the one that saved him after all.

Spike was slowly making his way down to the training area. Cadance did not want him seen. That was the best place to go. As he traversed the halls of the palace he passed all the ponies that were at the dining hall when he used his magic. Strikefire and R.C. Keeper were there. They looked at him as he walked by. Hammer had a look of relief on his face. He was just happy to see that his family was okay. He was a rather simple pony, but that's why Spike liked him. He was easy to get to know. R.C. Keeper just looked afraid. She did not handle these kinds of situations well. She was just a small pony who liked books and scrolls. Strikefire was consoling her. Spike waved to her as he walked by. That helped a little. He saw Sally Silvertongue as well. She was talking at some nurse mare trying to get some information. She saw Spike and fell silent. Her face had a look of amazement and confusion. She looked away from Spike and kept talking at the nurse mare. Spike could tell she was trying to hurry and get over to him. She did, and rushed in his direction. She was stopped, though, by a guard and he told her something that she did not take well. Must be Cadance keeping his magic secret under wraps. He would have to thank her again later. But right now he needed to get away from everypony. He hurried down to Shadow. Spike found him clearing out the training area. Almost all of his stuff was gone.

“What are you doing,” Spike asked.

“I have a feeling we will not be here much longer,” Shadow said, “I was there for your meeting with Princess Cadance. You were wise to tell her the truth.”

“Really,” Spike said with shock, “I told her I am learning an ancient magic so old that nearly everypony has forgotten the myths and legends. That truth!? You think it was wise to tell her that?”

“Yes,” Shadow said bluntly, “She already witnessed you using magic. Lying to her would have only made things worse. Besides, you helped defend her palace and healed her husband. The latter one got you a lot of favor.”

“But it is not just her, Shadow,” Spike said, “It is all the other ponies. They don't look at me the same. It is just not what I expected.”

“What did you expect,” Shadow asked with a hint of sarcasm, “You used magic in front of a crowd of ponies. Of course they are going to look at you differently. As for Cadance, did you expect more grief and sadness? That is a dark emotion that she was able to overcome. You did good, Spike. Just accept that.”

“Hey Shadow,” Spike said after a moment of silence, “Before, when I fought those Black Colts, I won. But when I won they turned to dust and crumbled.”

“What are you getting at, young blood,” Shadow asked.

“Shadow,” Spike said, “Please tell me I didn't destroy four actual ponies. I don't think I can handle that.”

“No need to worry,” Shadow replied, “They are just manifestations of the black ooze. Nothing more. They are not real ponies.”

Shadow could tell his words were sinking in. Spike was thinking about them as he lay on the crystal floor. Shadow looked at Spike proudly. He would make it through this. Spike was a strong one. He had fallen asleep in the former training area. The entire day had been draining for him. Shadow transported him to his regular room in the castle. Better he was there if any ponies came knocking at his door. Shadow also left him a present. He would get it after he woke up.

Spike was back in another nightmare. It was not Ponyville, or Canterlot. It was not that desolate, barren wasteland or that dark room with the lights. No. Spike was in someplace new. The Crystal Palace. That was a first for his nightmares. Spike was honestly not as affected as he was before. This time he was somewhat numb to what he saw. It was Shining Armor. He had his back turned to Spike. As Spike walked up he fell. Upon further inspection Spike found that he Shining Armor had fallen into a grave. Spike was surprised to see that. He was even more surprised to see his head turn back and look at Spike. He was covered in the same black ooze that every pony in his nightmares was. His eyes were black as well.

“Your fault, Spike,” Shining said coldly, “You put me here, and you know it.”

NO! Spike would not accept that! He had healed him! He used the amulet that Shadow had given him. He had healed him. He took the shadows away. He took the pain away. Spike turned away from the grave bound colt. He would have nothing more to do with him. Instead, more ponies appeared in front of him. It was Hammer Falls and R.C. Keeper. They looked as bad as Shining Armor, covered in the same black ooze. They moved to surround him.

“You betrayed us, Spike,” Hammer said angrily, “You kept a secret from us that could have saved a lot of ponies from being hurt. No friend of mine would do that. Just leave me and my family alone.”

“I was in the Records room, Spike,” Keeper said, “The least guarded room in the entire palace. Did that occur to you when the palace was attacked? No. You were just focused on keeping you own secrets safe. I never want to see you again!”

NO! Spike pushed past them. He ran until he could not any longer. He fell to his knees and slammed his fist into the ground. Why was this happening to him? Was Luna trying send him a message? Well he got it! His secrets put the ponies he had met and even befriended in danger.

“Where are you, Luna,” Spike called out, “I need your help.”

Luna appeared in front of him as Spike cried.

“Please tell me you are real,” Spike pleaded.

“As real as the mirror that I gave you,” Luna responded, “But it would seem that you are the broken one here.”

“I did not mean for anything to happen,” Spike said, “I did not know that Black Colts would attack the Crystal Palace. But they did. And now Shining Armor is hurt. Hammer Falls and R.C. Keeper are hurt. They are all hurt and it is all my fault!

Luna walked over to Spike and placed a hoof on each shoulder. She looked right in his eyes before giving him a big hug.

“Hush now, Spike,” Luna said tenderly, “This is not your fault. Even if you had told the entire Crystal Empire what you could do ponies would still have gotten hurt. You have a secret. Not all ponies will understand you keeping that from them. In time you will be forgiven.”

“Shadow said the same thing,” Spike said.

“He has taught both of us many things,” Luna said.

“Yeah,” Spike said, “Don't tell Twilight about her brother. I want to be the one to tell her. Is that okay?”

“Of course,” Luna said, “But she will probably hear from Cadance first.”

“Maybe,” Spike said wearily, “But I am getting tired. Thank you for everything, Luna.”

“Good night, my sweet dragon. May your dreams never haunt you and always light your path.”


Spike woke up the next morning in a strange mood. He was not as sad and mopey as he was the day before. But he was not happy either. He got a good nights sleep. It did not start that way, but Luna had helped him. Spike got out of bed and noticed a small package on the table. It was a round, lightweight object wrapped in plain brown parchment. Spike tore the parchment and removed the object. He could not believe what he was seeing. It was his reflection. More than that. It was his reflection in the mirror that Shadow had broken. The Night Calling Mirror. Spike was no longer without a way to contact Luna. This made Spike feel somewhat happy. His happiness was delayed, though, due to a knock on his door. He quickly stashed the mirror as a guard pony entered the room.

“Collect your things,” He said flatly.

Spike moved to get his backpack. Nearly everything he had was in that backpack. All of the important things at least. He grabbed a few more of the important things from around his room and stuffed his backpack full. He had a feeling he was not going to see that room again any time soon, so he took one last look. It was full of things he had collected during his stay there at the Crystal Palace. A lot of it was just small stuff that he could not take with him. There were a few bigger items. A shield the Hammer Falls made him. It was the first thing he made at his new forge at the palace. Spike hooked it up to his backpack. He picked up a book that R.C. Keeper had given him as a present after she had the whole Records room overhauled. It was an ancient piece of text that Spike treasured. It was a journal of one of the past kings of the Crystal Empire. Apparently, he had close ties with dragons and they greatly influenced his reign. Spike put that in his backpack. Sally gave him a nice stationary set that came with a set of very nice quills and ink and paper. He was not sure if he should bring that item with him. It was obviously useful and he was used to carrying one when he followed Twilight around. The memories of that time flooded Spike's mind. With as much that has happened to him since he had been away, Spike really missed those days. He was never alone then. Never. He always had someone close by. Not like now. Now all he had was an antisocial dragon that only talked to him to give him lessons, and a princess that he could only talk to at night, through a mirror. What a strange life he led. Those memories caused Spike to pack the quills and the ink and the paper into his backpack. Maybe he would write a letter back to Ponyville. Pinkie Pie was still probably sleeping by the mail box. No, it had been too long, even for her. She had given up on him too. He eventually slipped his coat on and went back to the guard. He was ready to leave. They exited the room and started walking down the crystal corridor. After only a few moments the guard stopped. Someone was in the corridor with them.

“Your Highness,” The guard said, “I did not think you would be up yet.”

“Where are you taking him,” Shining Armor asked the guard.

“Princess Cadance ordered me to bring the young dragon to her,” The guard said.

“And where is she,” Shining Armor asked, “I will take him myself.”

“Outside,” The guard said, “She is by the Crystal Heart.”

Shining Armor thanked the guard and sent him back to his regular duties. He started walking off and Spike followed close behind him. Spike could see where his wound was. It was covered with bandages. He didn't seem to be in any pain. If he was then he was hiding it well. Spike wanted to say something, but what could he possibly say to apologize for what happened? There were no words for it. Shining Armor spoke first after a long while of awkward silence.

“Thank you,” He said.

“What,” Spike asked.

“Thank you,” He repeated, “For the wound. Cadance told me about your learning on the side, and how you used it to heal me. You saved not only my life, but the lives of many other ponies as well.”

“Oh, you're welcome,” Spike said, “I am glad to see you up and about this soon.”

The rest of the time spent walking was filled with questions. Shining Armor was curious about the magic that saved his life. Spike did his best to answer his questions without revealing to much. So Shining Armor led Spike down to the Crystal Heart. It was the relic that Spike and Twilight rescued from the Crystal Palace on their first visit. It was Spike that had placed it where it sat now. Spike got there to find Cadance with a happy look on her face. She had a smile and seemed to be like her old self. She seemed surprised that Spike was led up by Shining Armor. She gave a disapproving look as well. He was not supposed to moving around yet. He was supposed to stay in bed and rest. Spike walked up and stood right next to the Crystal Heart.

“Spike,” Cadance started coldly, “When you first visited the Crystal Empire you found and retrieved the Crystal Heart from where King Sombra had hidden it. The crystal ponies hailed you as a hero with unmatched bravery.”

Spike knew where this was going. He had been through enough of these with Twilight and the rest of the gang. It was an awards ceremony. Yay. He was already a hero in the Crystal Empire Now he was just adding to his hero status.

“Yesterday,” Cadance continued, “You showed that bravery once again. You defended not only me and the Crystal Palace, but you also helped Shining Armor who was critically injured during the battle. You have the thanks of the entire Crystal Empire and my personal thanks as well.”

All the ponies that attended the ceremony burst into applause and cheer. Spike blushed. He was never going to get used to these public situations. Cadance gave Spike a shiny new medal. It was not like any medal he had ever seen before. It was a crystal. It was a white color with a hint of blue in it. Inside the crystal was a still flame. Spike had no idea how it got in there. He stared at the flame for a moment. It was green and cast a glow across the crystal when the light hit it. He loved it. There was a massive celebration for Spike's going away party. The entire city was involved. As Spike made his way through the crowds he ran into some of the ponies he met. Strikefire and R. C. Keeper were the first he met.

“Hello, Spike,” Strikefire said, “You came to my house and my little forge and told me I could work at the Crystal Palace. Forge Master. I couldn't believe it. Then you make my little sister the Records Keeper. My family can't thank you enough for what you have done for us.”

“I was just doing my job,” Spike said humbly, “Besides, you deserve the job more than any pony I know.”

Spike mingled his way through the crowds for the rest of the day. He met and talked to many other ponies. They all thanked or congratulated him for saving the city and getting a medal. Many ponies had questions. Sally Silvertongue was one of those ponies of course. She pressed Spike for any information he could give, but he didn't budge. He did do the next best thing and introduce Sally to Princess Cadance herself. She could not help but give Spike a playful glare as Sally bombarded her with questions. Spike mouthed a silent You're welcome to Cadance. She ignored him and went to answering Sally's many questions.

It was a good day overall. Spike was leaving at the end of it though. It was almost the end of the day, though, when he realized he had not told the princess about his plans to leave. Great. One last mistake to end his stay at the Crystal Palace. That is when he had an idea. He made his way up to the Crystal Heart again. Cadance and Shining Armor were still there. They hadn't moved. Spike whispered that he had an announcement to make when he got up there. Shining Armor silenced the crowd. Spike cleared his throat and turned to the crowd and Cadance.

“I just wanted to thank Princess Cadance for giving me such a celebration,” Spike started, “I hate to spoil it with bad news, but I must say that I will be leaving the Crystal Empire tonight.”

A whisper traveled through the crowd as Spike's words were taken in. Even Cadance was taken by surprise. She looked at Spike with a look of disbelief. Why was he just now saying this?

“But you don't need to worry,” Spike continued, “With Princess Cadance and Shining Armor looking over all the crystal ponies, there is nothing that the Crystal Empire cannot handle. I may be the hero today, but they are the heroes everyday!”

The crowd burst into another round of cheering and applause. It was time for Cadance and Shining Armor to take center stage. Even they blushed a little. Spike had thrust them into the spotlight. Shadows lessons worked for more than just magic. He remembered them well. Misdirection. Get the attention off of you and onto some other pony. This allows you to move about with less trouble. Spike just took the attention off of his leaving and heaved it onto Cadance and Shining Armor. He smiled at his own cleverness.

Spike got a much bigger send off then he ever imagined. He talked to Cadance after the celebration had died down a bit. It was rather late at night. Those crystal ponies knew how to party. He said his goodbyes and was on the train out of the Crystal Empire. He was happy to be going. It was time for him to move on. He would be going back to Ponyville. It was time that he headed back. It was time that he headed home.