• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 9,291 Views, 387 Comments

Chitin - Feo Takahari



Twilight just revealed every changeling in Ponyville. There are more of them than she expected. Way more.

  • ...
31
 387
 9,291

I wanna see if you can change it

In the front room of Fluttershy’s cottage, a pony and a rabbit stared each other down. The latter tapped a paw against the floor in impatience. His other paws were all wrapped in gauze, as was much of his body.

“Oh, Angel,” Fluttershy said. “What am I going to do with you? I know you don’t like Mr. Wolf, but he has a right to come here when he’s hurt, just like all my other animal friends. He can’t help it that he eats meat, and he doesn’t hunt near the cottage. He follows the rules, unless someone makes him angry.”

Angel sat perfectly still and continued to glare at her. She glared--or rather, Stared--right back.

“Don’t give me that look, mister! He could have eaten you up if he wanted to! You have to stop picking fights with animals who’re bigger than you!”

Angel wasn’t currently mobile enough to look away, so he had no choice but to keep looking into her eyes. After about ten seconds, he gave in and nodded.

Fluttershy sighed. “In a few months, you’ll pick another fight, and then you’ll get hurt again. The Stare can make you sorry, but it can’t make you change. I just wish I knew what else to do . . .”

A wave of purple magic blasted through the cottage. It passed right through the walls, not affecting anything inanimate. Angel felt a mild tingle, but was otherwise unfazed. Fluttershy, however, passed out from the worst pain of her life.

She wasn’t sure how long it took for her to wake up and rise from the floor. Angel hadn’t had enough time to find something to throw at her, but with all his bandages, there weren’t many things he could lift.

“What . . .” Fluttershy droned.

She shook her head to try and clear out the confusion, and found it strangely light, as if her mane had vanished or burned away. She swore she could hear something sloshing inside herself, like her body was no longer solid.

Fluttershy spun around to check the mirror behind her, and saw . . . And saw . . .

The former pegasus leapt backwards, instinctively fleeing from herself, but realized that she would land on Angel. She buzzed her wings frantically to divert her path, and wound up in a tangled heap on the floor.

Dozens of thoughts buzzed through her mind at once, each interrupting the next. Half of them cut off at the word "change," preventing it from finishing with another syllable. If she weren't already on the floor, she would certainly have collapsed by now, reduced to a terrified black lump.

This couldn't be real. She wasn't one of those things. She had a home now, a life here. She fit in. Ponies liked her. They wouldn't have befriended a monster.

If her friends saw her like this, would they hate her? Would they mock her? Or would they just silently stare?

Trying not to hyperventilate, not certain if she even could, Fluttershy stared at the holes in her blackened leg. If she was really a--no, she couldn’t even think the name--then she should be able to disguise herself. Nopony would ever have to know.

At first, there was a hardness to her body, but it swiftly wore away. All she had to do was picture her old self, and she shifted as easily as breathing.

She picked herself up off the floor, and gazed into the mirror. She was Fluttershy, and she was hidden. She wouldn't draw anypony's notice. She stared into familiar blue eyes, hoping to stop shaking.

If fear alone had driven her, she would have calmed then. But the shy mare kept secrets even from herself, and at that moment, the deepest of them bubbled to the surface.

“Fluttershy,” she said in her own soft voice. “Twilight,” she said in Twilight’s cool tone. “Pinkie!” she cheered in a voice made for partying. “Eeyup,” she rumbled, low and firm.

On a sudden, strange impulse, she shifted her face as well, sculpting a more masculine jawline. She traced the change down her neck and into her torso, faking muscle under skin and fur--not excessive like Big Mac, but a more subtle strength.

She didn't know why she was doing this. The last few remnants of her conscious mind all urged her to stop. But she still had a picture in her head of Fluttershy the beautiful model, Fluttershy the beloved singer, Fluttershy the most attractive mare in Ponyville. Every time she noticed something in the mirror that reminded her of that pony, she had to change it.

When she was so transformed her own mother wouldn't have recognized her, the compulsion slowly faded, and she began to think again. The walls of her mind rebuilt themselves, and she lost what little understanding she'd felt of what she'd just done, and why she'd just done it.

It was just to disguise herself, she rationalized. She still felt like her insides had melted, but at least she could pass as a pony--and if somepony found her out somehow, they still wouldn’t know who she was.

If she wanted, she could hide there in the cottage and wait. Even in disguise, it would be dangerous to wander around Ponyville. But whatever had done this to her had come from the town. It had moved very fast, and she’d had no warning or time to prepare.

Fluttershy hadn't run out of fears yet. In fact, she was just getting started. Image after image pushed its way into her mind.

Rainbow Dash, trying out some new stunt, hit with a rush of pain that locked her wings up . . .

Pinkie Pie, stumbling forward while putting cupcakes in the oven . . .

Spike, reshelving a book at the very top of that rickety wooden ladder Twilight kept saying she would replace . . .

Fluttershy shook her head again, and she became even dizzier.

A moldy carrot struck the back of her head, and she finally remembered the white rabbit who'd been trying to get her attention for the past ten minutes. She turned to address him, a bit unsteady on new legs.

“Angel Bunny,” Fluttershy said, “would you please keep an eye--”

Angel thumped his good leg on the floor and gestured at his bandages.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t have time to get Harry Bear. My friends could be in really big trouble right now! Please, Angel, you have to take charge while I’m gone!”

Angel didn’t say anything, of course, but she could feel his determination. It hung in the air in front of her, like she could take a bite from it if she so desired. Instead, she nodded and headed for the door.

She didn’t know what was going on. To be honest, she was terrified. But there were ponies who needed her help.

-- -- -- --

Glass broke. Ponies screamed. And that plume of smoke over Sugarcube Corner was probably a fire.

Apple Bloom noticed none of it as she lay in the middle of the street and cried. The bow from her mane lay forgotten beside her, discarded when said mane had burned away to nothing.

Changeling. That was why she didn’t have a cutie mark. Why she’d never have one. Was she even an Apple? No, she couldn’t be--there was no way Applejack could be a changeling, and that meant she couldn’t have a changeling for a sister. Even if she was, a changeling couldn’t live in Ponyville--she was going to be banished to the Everfree Forest, or maybe even the Badlands. She’d never see her friends again . . .

In front of her, Roseluck stared in horror, having nearly crashed into her in a mad dash out of a side alley. Beside her, her fellow Crusaders looked baffled, but unafraid. Sweetie Belle silently touched her hoof to Apple Bloom’s back, trying to be comforting. Apple Bloom could feel her concern, ripe and juicy like a fresh apple, and the temptation to nibble it just made everything worse.

Roseluck’s eyes hardened, and she found her voice. “Get away from that thing!”

Scootaloo stared right back at her. “No way! She’s our friend!”

“I don’t really get what’s going on,” Sweetie Belle added, “but if she was some kind of changeling bad guy, she’d be putting us in cocoons.”

Roseluck pushed her face forward in a manner common to ponies who had attended Iron Will’s seminar. “You guard the changeling, you’re in for pain . . . um, ling!” She rushed directly at Scootaloo.

Most ponies would not have thought of Roseluck as intimidating. Granted, she was an earth pony who worked outside all day, and granted, she was half again Scootaloo’s height, but she was also one of the ponies who’d been terrified by a stampede of rabbits. But a bit of adrenaline can do impressive things, and Roseluck shouldered Scootaloo aside with no difficulty at all. She turned to kick Apple Bloom--

“WHAT do you think you’re DOING?” a blaring voice demanded.

None of them had noticed the strange earth pony approaching, and all of them stared in surprise. His fur was the bleached white of a royal guard, but he wore no armor and didn’t stand like a soldier. His rich red mane was long on one side, covering his right eye, and together with his short stature and lack of a cutie mark, he seemed very young. Nonetheless, he commanded their attention, if only for his voice. That bellowing, commanding, pee-yourself-and-hide-in-the-bushes voice.

“Where did you--” Roseluck attempted.

“Look at her!” the stranger yelled. “She’s crying!”

“I’m not crying!” Apple Bloom insisted, discreetly wiping at her eyes.

“She’s a monster!” Roseluck insisted. “A fiend! You can’t defend a changeling!”

“She’s a filly,” the stranger said, slowly advancing forward. “And she’s terrified! How dare you pick on her like this!”

“Don’t come any closer!” Roseluck yelled. She turned and looked at Apple Bloom, still sitting behind her. “Any closer, and I’ll--and I’ll . . .”

“Like hay you will!” Scootaloo protested.

The stranger stopped mid-stride. “No. I won’t . . .” He visibly composed himself. “This isn’t gonna work, is it?” he asked, the fire gone from his voice. “I can’t just yell at you when you’re scared, too. I promise I won’t hurt you if you don’t do anything to the filly. I just want her safe.”

“You’re a changeling, too!” Roseluck exclaimed. “You want your foal, don’t you? You can have her!” She turned tail and ran, disappearing around a corner.

The stranger approached Apple Bloom. “You’re Apple Bloom, right?” he asked. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” she sniffled. “Why’d you help me? I’m a changeling . . .”

The stranger smiled gently, and his compassion wrapped around her like a warm blanket. “You needed help, so I helped you. I don’t care if you’re a changeling or not.”

“Who are you, anyway?” Sweetie Belle asked. “I’ve never seen--”

A full-grown changeling crashed through a window, landing on her back in the middle of the street. The door to the building slammed open, and Blossomforth stormed out. “What did you do with Cherry Berry, changeling?” she shouted.

“I’m Cherry Berry!” the changeling insisted. “Please, you have to believe me!”

The stranger dashed off to help, leaving the fillies behind.

“Wow, he’s cool,” Scootaloo said.

Apple Bloom lifted herself up and dusted herself off. “He’s doing something,” she said, “and we’re just sitting here. There are probably a lot of ponies who’re in trouble right now, and maybe we can help them. We could be . . . Cutie Mark Crusader Search and Rescue!”

“Yay!” Sweetie Belle chorused.

“But you can’t--” Scootaloo began. “Uh, I mean, yay!”

Author's Note:

This chapter was edited by Razalon the Lizardman and Rakni.

I'm amazed to get so many responses. I didn't think this would be so big, and I hope I can meet your expectations.

(I also hope none of my readers are members of the "Roseluck Fans" group . . .)