• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,607 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty-Four

"Your WHAT?!" Octavia yelled in surprise, blinking in disbelief at what Vinyl had just revealed.

"Yep, he's my ex," Vinyl said flatly.

"I must admit this is rather surprising...I always figured you were...well, you," Octavia said, to which Vinyl raised an eyebrow.

"I really don't wanna be here right now. I regret my decision to come here," Vinyl muttered.

"Vinyl? Is that you?" A voice said. They looked up, and Vinyl groaned in displeasure as the unicorn MC made his way over to their table. "I can't believe it! Look at you- you haven't changed a bit!" he grinned.

"No, I guess I haven't. What do you need, Neon?" Vinyl asked.

"Vinyl! No need to be rude to him," Octavia said, nudging her shoulder slightly. Vinyl sighed slightly, refocusing on Neon.

"Sorry for the rudeness, but who are you?" Neon asked, looking at Octavia with a smile.

"Oh, I am sorry. My name is Octavia- I am Vinyl's fiancee," Octavia said with a smile.

"Your fiancee? Geez Vinyl, was I that bad of a coltfriend?" Neon chuckled sheepishly.

"Let me think about that for a second- YES," Vinyl growled, two which Octavia nudged her again. Vinyl looked up and saw that Neon looked rather hurt by her comment, and sighed. "Sorry, Neon. I'm sure you get why I'm not being very friendly," Vinyl said.

"Believe me, I understand...we did call it off on a very sour note, but I'm glad I found you. I'd like to put the break up behind us, and maybe continue on being friends..." Neon said with a bashful smile.

"...You're joking, right? You expect me to just up and forgive you for completely neglecting the fact that I was your marefriend and went off with a crowd of other mares? Fat chance buddy," Vinyl said, narrowing her eyes. Neon sighed and took a seat at the table.

"In retrospect I realize that was a really cruddy thing to do, and I apologize for it. I got caught up in the moment, and I was blind to what really mattered..." Neon said. "Even if you say no, do you mind if I just hang here with you two before you leave for the night?"

"...I guess that's alright, but I've got my eye on you, Neon. No funny business," Vinyl said, narrowing her eyes even further.

"You got it Vinyl," he grinned. He then turned to Octavia. "You look kinda familiar, you know that? I'm pretty sure I've seen that pretty face of yours somewhere before," Neon said as he gave a charming smile. Octavia blushed slightly at the compliment.

"Well, I perform as the lead cellist for the Canterlot Orchestra, so if you have ever been to a play here in Canterlot I am certain you have heard me play," Octavia said.

"Yeah, that would explain it. I've seen a couple of plays here and there- my marefriend Poly really likes them, so I kinda get dragged along- and I thought I saw you heading the string section. I gotta say, you're very good," Neon chuckled. "Would you ladies like anything to drink? My treat!"

"A free drink on your money? Count me in," Vinyl said.

"Oh, no thank you Neon. I am pregnant after all, so alcohol is off limits for the time being," Octavia said.

"You're pregnant? Congrats!" Neon said with a smile. The smile then contorted into a confused frown. "Wait...how is that possible? Aren't you engaged to Vinyl? Who is the father?"

"Yes, well...to explain the situation without revealing anything personal, Vinyl is. I am sure you can put two and two together," Octavia said with a blush. Neon thought about it for a moment, and smirked.

"That's pretty awesome. I didn't think that was possible," Neon said. "Good on you, Vinyl."

"Thanks I guess," Vinyl said flatly.

"Hang on, I'll go get the drinks for myself and Vinyl," Neon said as he got up and went over to the bar.

"Vinyl, you could really do with being nicer to him! He is a charming young colt and he is obviously making the attempt to be friends with you!" Octavia chastised.

"Octy, you don't know him like I do. Something isn't right about all this...I can feel it," Vinyl said.

"You are probably just over-reacting," Octavia said, brushing off her warning. A few moments later, Neon returned with a beer bottle and a shot glass for himself.

"Alright, how about we toast to a new friendship?" Neon grinned.

"I think that would be splendid, right Vinyl?" Octavia said with a smile, nudging her for a third time.

"Fine," Vinyl sighed, raising her beer. Neon raised his shot glass, and Octavia raised her glass of water.

"To friendship," Neon started.

"To friendship," Vinyl and Octavia said in unison as they tapped their drinks together. Vinyl downed her beer in one go, Neon tossing back the shot of liquor.

"So tell me Octavia, how far along are you?" Neon asked, curious to know.

"A month and two weeks," Octavia said with a smile.

"That's great! Any idea on the gender or a name?"

"Nothing yet, we have decided it is going to be a surprise for us as much as the rest of the family," Octavia said.

"Well I gotta say I'm happy for you two. You make a cute couple," he smiled.

"Thank you very much, Neon. Vinyl and I both appreciate your words of kindness, right?" Octavia said, looking over at Vinyl, whose expression was akin to a statue's.

"Uh-huh," Vinyl said simply.

"Pay no attention to her, she is just being mopey," Octavia chuckled.

"Believe me, I know THAT face well, I can't begin to tell you how many times I would try to get her to do something with me, only to get that as an answer,"

"Forcing me to go visit your parents who CLEARLY hated me, just to be chased out with a kitchen knife by your MOTHER was not my idea of a 'romantic getaway,' Neon!" Vinyl yelled.

"You still remember that, huh?" Neon said, scratching the back of his head. "How else was I gonna get you to go? I had to lie or I woulda never gotten you out of the apartment!"

"Whatever," Vinyl said. "I'm gonna go get another drink..."

~Several Hours Later~

Octavia and Neon talked long into the evening hours, ponies slowly drifting out of Fillyfool's to make the trek back home. Vinyl on the other hoof, had spent the entire evening drinking, Neon having offered to pay for whatever she decided to buy.

"...and that was when I gave her the necklace and asked her out. Vinyl cried like somepony had just taken away her favorite record. She just cried and cried and cried, until she eventually said yes, and then cried some more," Neon said, looking back on the memory fondly.

"How sweet. I must say it is very interesting to learn about how Vinyl was before she met me," Octavia said. She then heard the sound of breaking glass, and looked up to find a very-much-inebriated Vinyl trying to make her way back to the table. She looked at the beer bottle she had dropped, and sighed.

"Darnit...gotta go get 'nother one..." Vinyl said, turning to go back to the bar. She stopped short when Octavia made her way over and turned her around.

"Vinyl, how many beers have you had?" Octavia asked.

"Shicks 'r sheven...oh...uh...I know this...um...nine?" Vinyl asked, unsure of the answer herself. Octavia sighed as she led her back to the table.

"You have had far too much to drink. Neon, would you mind watching her while I go to the restroom? I need to get her to bed," Octavia said as she got up.

"Sure thing, Octavia. We'll be here when you get back," Neon said.

"Thank you," Octavia said as she began to make her way to the bar's bathroom. She pushed the door open and entered one of the stalls. I can't say I have ever seen Vinyl so against something before...maybe it wasn't a good idea to let Neon so close to her. Then again, Vinyl does tend to over-react on some things. Octavia exited the stall and moved over to the bathroom sink, washing her hooves. Nevertheless, maybe I'll treat her out somewhere nice tomorrow to make up for it. Octavia dried her hooves and left the bathroom, humming to herself with a smile. That is, until she opened her eyes to a sight that would completely turn her world upside-down: the sight of Vinyl furiously kissing Neon, whose expression was wide-eyed and confused.

"VINYL!? What are you doing!?" Octavia yelled as she forcibly pulled Vinyl off of Neon.

"O-Octavia, I am SO sorry for what you just saw! I-I was just sitting here, minding my own business when Vinyl's head kinda hung low and she was mumbling to herself. I leaned over to see if she was okay, a-and she said something about still having feelings for me and- and she just forced herself on me!" Neon explained. Octavia could not believe what she was hearing. She turned her head to face Vinyl, and spoke in a very soft voice.

"Vinyl...is this true?" Octavia asked.

"Huhwha?" Vinyl said, looking over at the source of her name being called. She looked up at Octavia and gave her huge, goofy smile. "Oh hi Octy! I was jus' wonderin' where ya went! Didya enjoy the kiss?" she smirked. This was where the lines of communication fell apart. To Vinyl, she was simply asking Octavia if she enjoyed the kiss she gave her, thoroughly convinced that it was Octavia that she had kissed. To Octavia however, Vinyl had just said the unthinkable: she had just asked her if she enjoyed watching Vinyl kiss her ex. The world suddenly stopped spinning when Vinyl felt a huge stinging sensation on her left cheek, seeing the blur of Octavia's hoof rush past her vision. The force of the impact almost immediately sobered her up. "O-Octy...you...you hit me..." Vinyl murmured in disbelief.

"It is VERY MUCH clear that you still have feelings for him, despite what you told me! Seeing as that is the case, I will do you a favor- WE ARE DONE, VINYL! HE IS ALL YOURS!" Octavia roared as tears streamed down her cheeks. She then turned and rushed away from the table, making a beeline for the door.

"OCTY, WAIT! OCTY!" Vinyl yelled after her, still very much confused on what exactly had transpired. "Octy..." Vinyl whimpered as tears threatened to spill over. She looked over at Neon, who looked strangely content...smug, even.

"Neon...what happened?" Vinyl asked.

"What happened? Oh, that's an easy one. I just framed you," Neon said with a satisfied smirk. "It was easy, really. You can't stand to be around me, so I played on that. I offer to pay for drinks, you immediately take me up on it- you always were easy to please. You get drunk off your rump, and Octavia decides to call it a night. Octavia gets up to go to the bathroom, and I force you into a kiss. I gotta say, Vinyl...you're still a great kisser. Once Octavia caught us, all I had to do was act innocent and make it look like your drunk, sorry rump got over-emotional at seeing your long-lost ex," he explained. "Consider this payback for dumping me over a simple mistake..." he growled. "Now you know how I felt when you dumped me back then...hurts, don't it?"

Before he could say anything else, Vinyl's hoof slammed into the side of his face, sending him tumbling to the floor. A moment later, Vinyl was on-top of him, her hooves around his neck. "I KNEW YOU WERE JUST A LYING SACK OF DIRT ALL ALONG!" she yelled. "I swear to Celestia, if I can't get Octy back, I WILL track you down, and I WILL END YOU!" She grabbed him by the collar, and threw him against the ground again, leaping off him and rushing out the door after Octavia.

Neon picked himself up off the floor, rubbing his aching jaw. He felt something moving around in his mouth, and spit it out into his hoof: he blinked in surprise when he saw a bloody tooth. He then noticed that other patrons were staring at him. "WHAT!?" he yelled, causing the others to turn away. He straightened himself out, and froze when he saw Poly standing in front of him.

"So, I saw you making out with that other unicorn chick. What the BUCK was THAT about?!" She yelled, absolutely livid that he would do something so low.

"Y-You saw that?" He chuckled nervously, "B-Babe, it wasn't what it-"

"Save it for someone who gives a buck, Neon. I'm done with you," she said as she trotted past him, leaving him stunned and frozen.

"Oh, by the way..." she started. She raised her right-rear leg, revealing a hoof with a polished-iron shoe, reared it back, and planted it SQUARE between his rear legs. Neon immediately toppled over like a sack of bricks, unable to make any kind of sound other than small squeaks.

"Bucking jerk..." she muttered, leaving Neon in a crumpled heap on the bar floor.

PreviousChapters Next