• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,607 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty-Four

"I wonder how things are going with Octy..." Vinyl wondered out loud as she made her way towards Sugarcube Corner. She followed the main road, taking care to keep an eye out for the confectionery. I could REALLY go for some of those pancakes right about now... She sighed happily, imagining the delicious meal of apple-syrup covered pancakes sitting in front of her as she walked. Several other ponies stared at her curiously as she passed them by, a blissful and dreamy expression on her face- that is, until she bumped into Octavia.

"Hey, watch where you're-" Vinyl started, opening her eyes. "Octy? I'm so sorry, are you alright!?" She quickly moved over to Octavia, helping her back up.

"I am fine, Vinyl...but how many times have we discussed that you really need to pay attention to where you are walking?" Octavia reprimanded.

"I know, I know but...pancakes..." she murmured dejectedly.

"What?" Octavia asked, confused. Vinyl blushed slightly out of embarrassment.

"N-nothing. How'd it go with Rarity and Twilight?" Vinyl asked, curious.

"Well, it went very well with Rarity. She has opted to create our dresses from scratch...and refuses to let me pay for it."

"Oh, okay." Vinyl responded.

"Okay? That is all you have to say? You are not upset that, yet again, Rarity is doing us a favor and expecting nothing in return?" Octavia protested. "She already crafted the beautiful party dress for me, and now she is going as far as making our wedding dresses, and-" Octavia was about to continue when Vinyl held her jaw closed with a hoof.

"If that's what she really wants to do, then I say let her. I mean, friends do for friends without asking for anything back, right?" Vinyl reasoned. Octavia thought about it for a moment, and sighed.

"I know...I just feel like I am imposing on her, and I feel that her work deserves reimbursement."

"Well I'm sure you can get her a new purse some other time." Vinyl said, patting her on the back.

"A new purse? What are you talking about? I never said-" Octavia stopped for a moment as she retraced her thoughts, and face-hoofed. "Vinyl, I said 'reimbursed'. It means 'to pay back.'"

"Oh...so you're gonna pay her back by buying her a new purse? That's nice of you, Octy." Vinyl grinned.

"Vinyl, I- nevermind..." Octavia sighed, giving up. She knew all she would be doing was wasting her breath. "As for Twilight, she and Trixie will take care of the fireworks and pyrotechnics."

"What about a place to stay?" Vinyl asked.

"Trixie said there was no space, and Rarity said that she was taking care of Sweetie Belle and her friends...which is peculiar. She screamed her heart out when I made the requests for the dresses-"

"So THAT'S what that was! I heard it all the way out near Sweet Apple Acres." Vinyl said, cutting Octavia off. Octavia stared at her for a moment, waiting until Vinyl realized how impolite she had been. "Oh. Sorry, Octy. Go on."

"Thank you. She said she had just put Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo to bed...I am surprised she did not wake them."

"Heh, if I know those fillies, just 'cause she put them to bed doesn't mean they stayed there. Kinda reminds me of myself when I was a filly. I kinda hope that our kid-" Vinyl was suddenly silenced when Octavia practically rammed her hoof down her throat.

"You will NOT jinx this! Understood?!" Octavia growled threateningly, to which Vinyl nodded.

"So, where do we go now? I was gonna go check on Pinkie," Vinyl said as she turned in the direction of Sugarcube Corner.

"Well, we still need to speak to Fluttershy about the doves. We will head to her cottage, and then head to Sugarcube Corner. I am still in the process of preparing myself mentally for dealing with Pinkie."

"Yeah, I get you. Pinkie can be a hoof-full at times, but she's got a good heart. I'm just sure she's not quite right in the head." Vinyl chuckled.

"That sounds strangely familiar...where have I heard that before?" Octavia said sarcastically, looking directly at Vinyl.

"Hm? What're you looking at me for? Do I have something on my face?" Vinyl asked.

"No, Vinyl. No you do not." Octavia said flatly. The two continued on their way towards Fluttershy's cottage, finding the tiny home with smoke floating out of the chimney. Octavia knocked on the door and waited for a response.

"Fluttershy? Fluttershy, are you home?" Octavia called out. The only response they got was a faint whimper coming from within. "It is me, Octavia! I'm here with Vinyl, Fluttershy!" After a few moments of silence, the door opened only enough for a single eye to peer out at them.

"H-Hello again, Octavia...I'm sorry for not answering sooner. I don't usually get visitors at this hour..." Fluttershy said softly, opening the door.

"We are sorry for disturbing you, Fluttershy. Would you mind if we came in?" Octavia asked.

"Of course not...please come in- that is...if you don't mind." Fluttershy said, backing away to let them in.

"Thank you, Fluttershy." Octavia said as the two entered.

"Hi Fluttershy, how ya doing?" Vinyl asked.

"Um...I'm doing okay, I guess..." she responded timidly. The three sat in the living room, facing one another. "...Um, what can I help you with, Octavia?"

"Well, Vinyl and I have made the decision to make our relationship official...we have decided to get married." Octavia blushed, Vinyl grinning from ear to ear.

"Oh my, that's wonderful news. Is there anything at all that I can do to help?" Fluttershy asked.

"We were wondering if you would be able to have a flock of doves chirp the "Wedding Canter" as Vinyl and I exit the chapel?"

"What a lovely idea, Octavia. Do you want it to just be doves? I can also find mockingbirds, sparrows, and nightingales to sing with the doves...that is, if you want to." Fluttershy suggested.

"That would be lovely! Whatever you think is best, Fluttershy. You are the expert." Octavia smiled, to which Fluttershy blushed heavily at the compliment.

"Th-thank you, Octavia. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Do you have space for us to sleep for a couple of days? Our house isn't ready yet." Vinyl asked.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Vinyl...I would love to let you stay, but my only extra room is being used by Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. It was my turn to take care of them tonight." Octavia frowned heavily at this, something not quite adding up.

"I am very sorry to say this, Fluttershy...but that does not make sense. I was just at Rarity's, and she said she had just put the girls to sleep," she remarked. Fluttershy looked shocked.

"Well, that can't be right...I was certain that-" Fluttershy's eyes widened. "Oh no..." she murmured, just barely above a whisper. Suddenly, Fluttershy took to her hooves, rushing past them and up her stairs.

"Fluttershy?! What's the matter?" Octavia called after her, the two following close behind her. Fluttershy threw the guest room door open, and gasped when she saw the fillies were nowhere to be found, and saw the one window in the bedroom open.

"Oh no...oh no oh no oh no..." Fluttershy whimpered, sinking down to the ground, on the verge of tears. "I can't believe I let them escape again..."

"Don't worry, Fluttershy. We'll go find them, right Octy?" Vinyl said.

"Of course we are- wait what?!" Octavia said, looking at Vinyl incredulously. Vinyl nodded her head in Fluttershy's direction, gesturing to her to say something that would calm the frightened pegasus down.

"O-Of course we are, Fluttershy. No need to worry, alright? We will be back with the fillies, and they will all be safe and sound." Octavia said, reassuring her.

"Th-thank you, Octavia...I just don't know what I'd do if they got hurt on my watch..." Fluttershy sniffled.

"We'll find them in no time. Let's go Octy!" Vinyl said, heading down the stairs.

"Right." Octavia said, following suit.

The two dashed out of the house, heading down the dirt path that lead back to town. "Be careful!" Fluttershy called out after them.

"Where to first, Octy?" Vinyl asked as they galloped as quickly as their legs would take them.

"Rarity's." Octavia said.

*~The Boutique~*

"Well that just can't be right! They told me that Fluttershy couldn't take care of them because she had an emergency with a bear." Rarity said, sounding like she had just been accused of murder.

"We understand that, Rarity. They probably tricked you so they would not get in trouble." Octavia said, panting slightly.

"Can we come in and check to see if they're still here?" Vinyl asked.

"O-Of course! I'm positive they're all sound asleep, though. I don't see why they wouldn't be..." Rarity said, a thought coming to mind. "Wait, earlier...when you requested your dresses, I screamed in excitement. I found it strange that they didn't wake up, but I shrugged it off, thinking they were too tired."

"You didn't think to check?" Vinyl asked.

"No...no I don't suppose I did...oh dear." Rarity said softly. The three rushed upstairs, and found the same scene that they saw at Fluttershy's- an empty bed and an open window.

"Oh dear, Sweetie Belle!" Rarity panicked, fearing for her sister. Octavia patted Rarity on the back reassuringly.

"No need to worry. I am certain she is safe...now, if I were a filly their age, and I wanted to go and have an exciting adventure late at night...where would I go?" Octavia thought out loud. The three thought about it, and all reached the same conclusion.

"Pinkie's!" The three said in unison. They all dashed out of the Boutique, making a beeline for Sugarcube Corner. Within minutes the three were at Sugarcube Corner's front step. They looked up at the second floor, seeing what looked like the barrel of a cannon sticking out of a window.

"That's not how ya do it, Scoots! Yer supposed ta' load the black-powder in first, then the confetti! Here, Ah'll do it!" One voice said.

"No way! I said I was gonna load the confetti!" Scootaloo responded.

"When do I get a turn?" Sweetie Belle whined, wanting to join in on the fun. The three noticed Pinkie sitting outside Sugarcube Corner, her hooves raised as if she was trying to get an angle.

"Pinkie Pie! What do you think you're doing!?" Rarity yelled. "Sweetie Belle, come down here this INSTANT!"

"Oh, hiya Rarity!" Pinkie smiled giddily. She turned to look who else was with her, and the smile only grew. "OCTY! SCRATCHIE!" she yelled, immediately pouncing them into a hug. "It's SOOO good to see you again! Did your trip go good? I bet it did! I knew you'd be back soon! The Pinkie Sense NEVER fails!" Pinkie said, pleased with herself.

"Pinkie, what is going on in that skull of yours!? That's a CANNON! Why are you letting three YOUNG FILLIES operate that thing!?" Vinyl said, unable to believe that Pinkie could be THIS crazy. Pinkie giggled in response.

"It's not a real cannon, silly filly! It's my new Party Cannon, for partying on the go! The girls wanted to give it a test run and see if they can get their pyro-party-technics cutie marks!" Pinkie then turned towards Sugarcube Corner. "OKAY GIRLS! GO FOR IT!" Pinkie yelled. The girls loaded what confetti they could into the barrel, and waited.

"Uh, what now?" Applebloom asked.

"Aren't we supposed to pull a string?" Scootaloo said.

"Wait, you mean this one?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"SWEETIE BELLE! WAI-" They were drowned out by the deafening roar of the cannon going off as a blast of confetti catapulted the fillies out of the window and into each of the mares standing outside. Unfortunately, that was not the end of it. Burning bits of confetti flitted about inside of the room, setting the curtains on fire, which quickly grew into a roaring inferno. Mr. and Mrs. Cake quickly rushed outside to find the source of the noise.

"What in Equestria was that!?" Mr. Cake yelled. The two turned and looked upward, Mrs. Cake screaming in shock. "MY HOUSE!" Mr. Cake yelled. This was too much for the poor stallion to handle, passing out from the sight of his home burning. The three fillies climbed off of their saviors, covered in soot and confetti. Their jaws dropped at the sight before them, and all swallowed together.

"Uh oh..." They all said together. The three tried to look to Pinkie for some sort of salvation, but she was mysteriously nowhere to be found.

Vinyl then looked at Octavia. "Lyra and Bonbon's?"

"Lyra and Bonbon's." Octavia replied quietly. Mrs. Cake continued to panic, Rarity doing her best to try and calm her down. Within minutes, firefighter unicorns were on the scene, using magic to suspend barrels of water over the fire, dumping their contents on the burning building. To make matters worse, the cannon fell through the heavily-damaged floor and into the main lobby, embedding itself in the floor.

"A cannon? Really?!" One firefighter unicorn questioned, unable to comprehend why ANYPONY would try something so stupid. Once the fire was put out and the Crusaders escorted back to Sweet Apple Acres by an absolutely furious Applejack and Rarity, Octavia and Vinyl began to make their way towards Lyra and Bonbon's. After a period of silence, Vinyl spoke up.

"Not gonna lie...that was pretty awesome." Vinyl chuckled.

"Oh, shut up." Octavia muttered as she planted a hoof in Vinyl's side.

PreviousChapters Next