• Published 23rd Jul 2014
  • 382 Views, 8 Comments

War Horse - Spartanfur06



War comes to an unprepared Equestria. Will things ever be the same?

  • ...
 8
 382

4. Bella, Horrida Bella

With a strangled gasp Ares returned to the world of the living. Sitting bolt upright he found himself laying on a luxuriously large bed replete with black satin sheets. A ring of lit torches lined the room providing a soft warm glow and allowing the stallion to better acclimate to his surroundings. The room was regally decorated with fine marble columns and enormous tapestries depicting various constellations. Slowly Ares clambered from the bed but pulled up short with a grunt of discomfort. Unbidden, the memory of the razor sharp claws buried in his chest and he winced. However, peering at his chest he found no blood nor even bandages, merely a new set of scars and a mild soreness. Ares' hooves clicked gently on the marble floor as he trotted to the room's only door. Opening it he was instantly confronted by two ebony black stallions dressed in heavy armor. Instantly on the defensive, Ares stiffened but both guards merely bowed.

"Please follow us, sir."

Ares quirked an eyebrow but said nothing, instead resolving to keep his muzzle shut and do as he was bade. Following behind the two guards Ares was shocked to see that the two stallions' wings resembled those of a bat.

"Surely I have died and gone on to a different world," he thought.

The guards led Ares down a magnificently appointed hallway, past vast stained glass windows which detailed events and ponies that he was unfamiliar with. At the end of the hallway a massive set of mahogany doors stood guarded by four more heavily armed guards who glared suspiciously at Ares as he passed. The doors swung open to reveal a large throne room, at the end of which were gathered a plethora of important looking ponies around a low table. At his entrance one pony detached from the group and came running to meet him. Ares was pleasantly surprised to find it was Twilight.

"Ares!" she cried, wrapping him in a tight hug. "I was so worried about you."

"And I you, Twilight Sparkle."

"Come on, I'll introduce you to the others."

Somewhat reluctantly Ares followed the mare towards the group of regal looking ponies, all of whom were staring at him. Ares found his heart was glad to see Twilight in such better spirits. Despite all that had happened she seemed greatly cheered to be in such company. Ares was shocked when the first pony to step forward was the same mysterious alicorn who had appeared to him outside the gatehouse. Up close she was no less magnificent though her eyes no longer glowed like the harvest moon.

"Ares, please allow me to introduce Princess Luna."

The charcoal stallion immediately fell into a deep bow, his head nearly brushing the floor.

"I am honored, m'lady, but I fear I thought you were a ghost come to take me to the grave."

Princess Luna smiled softly down at him before returning his bow.

"Please rise, sir Ares. It is we who should bow to you."

Ares head tilted questioningly.

"But what happened at the gatehouse?"

"You see, we are the Princess of the night. We have the ability to enter our subjects' dreams so that we may guide them. What most do not know is that we may also do the same when a pony is in the hazy lands between life and death. It was there that we found you and it was our guards that fell upon your attackers."

An even taller and equally majestic white alicorn stepped forward. From her kind, motherly visage to the end of her bright flowing tail, she exuded royalty. When she spoke her voice instantly put Ares at ease and he felt himself becoming endeared to her, as if she were a matronly figure speaking to a lost foal.

"And I had the honor of healing your wounds."

"Ares meet Princess Celestia," beamed Twilight.

Ares bowed deeply again.

"Then I am in both of your debts, Majesties."

Princess Celestia reached out with one hoof and gently raised his gaze to meet her own. Ares was surprised at her gentle touch and even more so at the gentleness in her eyes.

"No, Ares, it is we who are in your debt for bringing Twilight safely to us. Unfortunately I fear we cannot spend much time on celebrating."

Turning from the stallion Princess Celestia resumed her study of the low table which, on closer inspection, turned out to be a large map Canterlot and its surrounding areas, complete with topography and markers representing the location of griffin forces around the capitol. Ares suddenly found himself feeling very self conscious. All around the table, besides the Princesses, were various military advisers, consuls, and heads of state. The stallion turned to go before Celestia's voice brought him to a halt.

"Ares, Twilight tells me you... have experience in this types of situations. You are certainly free to do as you please, but we would greatly appreciate your counsel?"

The open ended sentence hung in the air for a moment as Ares hesitated. He had seen more than his fair share of fights, but he had never commanded a nation at war. Even still, he could not shake off the pleading look in Twilight's eyes. Nodding, he approached the table. Ares' eyes narrowed as they swept over the table; the situation seemed grim. Canterlot was laid out in painstaking detail, every street and intersection named and aligned perfectly. Currently all of the streets surrounding the castle were occupied by the angry red blocks of wax signifying the forces of the Griffin Kingdom. A single lonely ring of blue blocks formed a perimeter around the castle grounds.

"Why haven't you attempted to retake the city with your magic?"

Princess Celestia's gaze faltered for a moment and she looked away.

"The griffins told us that they were holding Twilight as a hostage and that any attempt to use magic would bring her death. We retreated to the castle and did our best to accommodate the influx of refugees. As we speak there are over a thousand ponies in the castle's lower levels."

"A commendable course of action," Ares said drily, "but now is the time to go on the offensive."

"Do not criticize our actions harshly, Ares. None of us have ever known war as you have."

Ares nodded in acquiescence and resumed speaking in a softer tone.

"Forgive me, your highness. I meant no disrespect to you or your valiant guards. However, you must understand that war is all about momentum, and, the longer we tarry behind these walls the longer the enemy has to consolidate his position. They must be driven from the city with all haste."

"Very well," Celestia nodded gravely, "I will lead the counter-attack personally. Captain, assemble your stallions and prepare to march. We will sweep the city clean of these traitorous creatures."

*****

Historians would later record what followed as the first great victory for Equestria in the Griffin wars. They would mark it as a strategic victory that greatly lifted the morale of both Canterlot's populace and the soldiers of Celestia's guard. However, as they say, history is written by victor, but what is lesser known is that what is written is often greatly embellished.

Princess Celestia did indeed lead her forces from the castle gates in a ground offensive to sweep the city's streets. Her sister Luna descended from the highest tower in the castle at the head of her winged Night Guards to intercept any griffins who tried to flee Celestia's offensive. Both sisters found only light resistance, however, as most of the griffin forces had withdrawn upon learning that Princess Twilight was safe in the castle, and that their ruse about her capture had been proven false. Knowing that they could not stand before the magical might of Princess Celestia the griffins had retreated enmass, leaving only a small rearguard force to burn as much of the city as possible before it could be retaken. After only a few shorts hours, what was left of Canterlot was declared liberated. However, even the most naive of ponies could see that the victory was a hollow one.

Victory brought no respite for Equestria's rulers as, once it was declared, Celestia reconvened her war council. Before retiring to the throne room and her waiting advisers, the Princess took a moment to survey her devastated city from the royal observatory with her sister Luna. Both Princess of the day and Princess of the night wept openly together at the fires that raged through homes of so many ponies. So many of their subjects and friends would never see another sunrise or another full moon, and even more had had their lives changed forever.

Standing once more around the map table Celestia did her best to rub the weariness form her eyes with her hooves. Gazing around the table she meet the eyes of her sister, student, counselors, friends, and a stallion from a far off land she barely knew.

"Do I look as tired as them?" she thought. Sighing deeply she squared her shoulders and resumed the posture of a monarch.

"My friends... my little ponies... we have all witnessed things today that we would never have imagined in our darkest nightmares. However, I fear that we will find no rest anytime soon. Now that we have retaken Canterlot we must, as Ares says, maintain momentum. What is our next move?"

For a moment, nopony spoke as each surveyed the map, lost in their own thoughts.

Stepping forward Captain of the Guard, Commander Fleethoof, spoke with a gravelly voice of what his scouts had determined.

"All rail lines from Canterlot have been destroyed, Majesty. From what we can tell the griffins struck in a four pronged attack seizing Cloudsdale first, to neutralize our best pegasi, before cutting off our government centers at Canterlot and the Crystal Empire. Lastly, they attacked Ponyville in the hopes of capturing Princess Twilight and using her as a hostage."

Princess Celestia nodded. She had been able to communicate with Princess Cadance via magic throughout the siege. So far Cadence and her husband had been able to fend off the griffin attacks with magic, leaving the griffins to lay siege in the harsh wilderness that surrounded the Crystal Empire.

"At least that's some good news," she thought. An army caught in that wilderness would have a hard time remaining effective. Still, the Crystal Empire and its inhabitants were on their own.

"As you can see," Fleethoof continued, gesturing with his hoof, "the main force of the enemy that attacked Canterlot are camped on the plains a few miles west of here..."

His voice trailed off as he suddenly came to the realization that he had nothing left to contribute and that what he had contributed amounted to very little.

Celestia nodded and smiled gently to reassure him as he stepped back into place among the others. Once again, silence reigned.

"We must take the fight to them."

All eyes swung to Ares.

"We must march out and take the fight to them," he repeated.

"Our forces would be heavily outnumbered." Came Princess Luna's response.

Shaking his head, Ares would not be dissuaded.

"We must either march out and meet them or we will die slowly here in the castle as they attack wherever and whenever they wish."

Next it was Celestia's turn to question the mercenary.

"How will we overcome their superior numbers?"
"We could arm the citizenry?" ventured Commander Fleethoof.

Ares hoof slammed down onto the table causing all gathered there to flinch.

"No! As brave as your citizens may be they will be no match for trained soldiers. At worst they would break and run, leaving our formation vulnerable. At best, they would wear out the enemy in the same way that the harvesting of wheat tires the farmer's hoof."

Ares paused to let his words sink in.

"We must march out and meet them. Griffins are formidable foes, one on one, and will hold the aerial advantage, but we can neutralize that with stout hearts and discipline. We will force them to fight us on the ground where we will have the advantage, and with your magic supporting us, we will carry the day."

Ares could see the battle playing out behind his eyes as he spoke faster and faster. His hooves gestured and pointed all around the mapped out battlefield, driving home his points and setting up a strategy for the army. For more than an two hours he went back and forth with Commander Fleethoof and the royal counselors over the details of his plan. When the conversation ended every pony stared at the map and its colored representations of the battle lines to come. Every assembled pony knew what was required of them and fear threatened to undo their knees. Ares meet every fearful gaze with the fire burning behind his own.

"We must do this," he concluded, "If we stay here behind the walls all is lost. We can afford no other course of action than to march out and meet them."

At last, every pony nodded grimly to him and the meeting broke up to allow the ponies to prepare and take a few hours of rest before the battle ahead. As he was exiting the throne room beside Twilight, Celestia, and Luna he turned and addressed the Princess of the sun.

"Princess, when we march tomorrow raise the sun. Raise the sun and make it a dawn to remember. Let every pony under your rule that their Princesses live and that the dawn of their deliverance has come."

Princess Celestia felt determination swell in her heart.

"I will make it so."

*****

A few precious hours later the forces of Equestria marched. True to her word, Celestia raised the sun in a dawn that would not be seen again in another thousand years. All over Equestria ponies raised their heads to the east and felt hope swell in their breasts. The night had lasted far too long.

The assembled griffins on the plains west of Canterlot stared into the rising sun and felt the icy tendrils of fear teasing their hearts. Marching with the sun at their backs the ponies of Celestia's army raised a cloud of dust high into the sky by the tramp of their hooves. They had polished their armor and spear points to a mirror-like gleam; these now caught the sun light and flashed dangerously in the eyes of the watching foe. The griffin commanders barked orders at their soldiers and rallied them to battle formation. Hundreds of griffins leapt into the air and began circling above the massing forces like carrion birds.

At the head of the Equestrian forces marched Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight, Commander Fleethoof, and Ares. Despite his lack of experience, Commander Fleethoof would lead his stallions from the front. For his part, Ares had pledged himself to defending the two Princesses and lending his strategic input where needed. He grunted slightly in discomfort as his armor chaffed him. There had been no time for a custom set to be made for him.

At three-quarters of a mile Celestia halted her army and began to survey the two armies. The griffin army stretched out in front of her like the ocean's tide, filling the plain with its malicious intent. High above circled even more griffins merely awaiting the order to descend like heaven's wrath on her ponies. Looking back at her forces, doubt began to claw at her heart. She had mustered her entire royal guard, nearly 500 stallions. They were outnumbered by more than two to one. Seeing her hesitation Ares stepped forward to whisper in her ear.

"Princess, you must be strong. Your stallions need you now. You must speak to them."

Cinching up her courage, Celestia nodded. Beating her wings she lifted off the ground high enough that all her soldiers might see her.

"Stallions of Equestria," her mighty voice boomed out across the armored helmets of her soldiers. "Stallions of Equestria...my soldiers... my friends, our nation has been struck a mighty blow by a traitorous foe. We were caught unawares by their surprise attack and many an innocent life has been lost. Will we let these crimes go unpunished?"

From the massed ranks came cries of "No!"

"Never before in Equestria's history have we known such tragedy, but I have come here today to see justice done. Will you fight with me?"

Now more cries rose from the ranks in the affirmative. Celestia allowed herself a slight smile, she was beginning to get their blood up.

"I will not lie," her voice dipped lower in an remorseful tone, "there is a chance that many of us will not see the end of this fight, but great victory does not come without a price. I promise you that I will do all that I can to see you back safely to your homes. These are terrible times for us to face, but we must meet them head on with all the courage in our hearts. When we march, I want you to remember what you are fighting for. You are not fighting for your Princess, you are fighting for your homes, your families, your very way of life! Colts a hundred years unborn will curse bitter fate that they did not march with us today, for today, we fight for the future of Equestria. March with me brave soldiers... march for Equestria!"

The stallions of Celestia's army roared and reared, a mighty cry of courage rising from their throats to shake the very foundations of the earth. The rolling roar hit the front ranks of the griffin army like a physical wave, making many flinch and step backwards.

Resuming her stance on the ground, Celestia dismissed her commanders to their units and marched to the center of army's formation with Twilight and Ares. Once in place, the Princess nodded the signal and, with a might blast of the horn, the army began to march. From across the plain a higher pitched horn wailed and the griffins too began their advance.

Princess Celestia's forces marched in a large almost box-like formation. The leading ranks were formed into a triangle ranks by company, giving the formation's front a serrated edge. Marching in close ranks the ponies marched slowly to the steady tattoo beat of drums. Peerless in kit and discipline they were a magnificent sight. In the formation's center were Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle, Ares and twenty of Canterlot's most powerful unicorns. Behind these came the reserve companies of Canterlot's royal guard. These last would serve as a rear guard against any griffins who might seek to attack the formation from behind.

As the armies closed, the griffins who had been circling high above now fell to the attack. From staggering heights they folded their wings and dived on the ponies below. Fearless in their aerial superiority they sought to swoop down and pick off any unaware ponies in the ranks. They met with a nasty surprise. Once the falling griffins were in range they were met with blasts of energy from the horns of Celestia, Twilight, and the unicorns surrounding them. Griffins fell from the sky in droves, those few that made it through were unable to come to grips with the stallions below due to the tightly packed ranks and the spear points that bristled from them like a forest. In mere minutes the number of circling griffins had been reduced by a third.

At the front, the two armies came together with the heavy weighted crunch of bodies slamming into each other. Because they fought as individuals the griffin ranks were loose and disordered. When hit by the tightly packed ranks of stallions they folded like wheat before the scythe. The front ranks of Celestia's soldiers merely ran them over, crushing the griffins beneath their hooves. Then the killing began in earnest. Spears flashed downward like a great milling machine of murder. The serrated front of the Equestrian formation allowed it to "bite" into the griffin army. Those griffins caught deep in the serrations found themselves beset on two sides by stabbing spears.

However, momentum will only carry an army so far. Before long the Equestrian's advance ground to a halt as warriors on both sides grappled and fought, seeking any kind of advantage to bring down their opposite number. The air filled with the horrifying symphony of murder; razor-tipped claws screeched as they scraped across armor, spears plunged into breasts with a sickening crunch, and screams of terror and pain rang out loud and long. Twilight Sparkle did her best to shut out the sounds of murder and focus on her job of protecting the soldiers from aerial attack. However, as time wore on the sounds began to overpower her senses. Tears streamed freely down her face at the horror of it all. Her world shrank smaller and smaller under the strain until all she could do was focus on one action at a time. With a powerful purple blast she brought down another griffin before he could attack the stallions. Twilight forced herself not to follow the body as it fell to the ground. Out of the blue, Twilight felt a presence at her side. Looking over she found Princess Celestia's wing gently draped across her back. After a moment, Twilight returned the gesture with her own wing. Together the two Princesses took solace in one another amidst the madness.

Suddenly a runner galloped up, out of breath and covered in sweat. His wide eyes flashed frantically as he gave his report.

"Princess Celestia, our right flank is crumbling!"

The white alicorn's head snapped to the right though she could make out little through the dust raised by the throng. Before she could give a command a blur shot past, heading for the danger.

"Ares!"

*****

Dashing through the madness, Ares sped toward the endangered flank. All around him ponies reeled backwards from the front, their eyes rolling in terror. Bounding up onto a rock Ares cried out to them.

"Stallions of Equestria! Why do you run?"

They halted but refused to meet his fierce gaze.

"There are too many!" one cried.

"Would you abandon those who still fight?" Ares voice boomed as he gestured to the front lines with his spear.

The stallions still remained rooted in their places.

Snorting in disgust, Ares turned his back on them.

"When your foals ask you where you abandoned Celestia, where you choose a fate for them of slavery and death, tell them it was here!"

Leaping from his perch, Ares waded into the fray. Tearing its claws free from the throat of a stallion a griffin turned to face him. With a mighty roar Ares buried his spear into the griffin's throat before savagely wrenching it free and turning to find another foe. In the space of a few heartbeats three griffins fell before his steel. The fearful stallions felt unspeakable shame as this foreigner fought their battle for them. Summoning their courage they formed ranks and marched back into the chaos. So ferocious was their counter attack that they passed Ares by and surged forward, driving the griffins back. Covered in sweat and gore, Ares turned and galloped back to the center.

On reaching the Princesses he paused to survey the battle. All around the air was charged by the chaos of mortal struggle. Then he saw what the Princess and her commanders had been waiting for. Slowly, the Equestrians were pushing the griffins back. The foe was desperately digging in their heels, but cracks began to appear in their resolve. Here and there griffins began to take flight to save their own skins.

"Princess!" cried Ares "Give the signal!"

Celestia raised her head to the sky. Her eyes flashed with power as her horn sent a powerful crimson bolt of magic into the sky. Upward the blood red light soared, climbing high above the clashing armies, before it exploded like the birth of a new star. Now the ponies sprung their trap.

Falling from their concealed position in the clouds Princess Luna and her bat-winged guards attacked. Diving straight down they gained momentum; at the last possible second they pulled up, mere feet above the ground, and sped towards the griffin army's left flank. Lances leveled into the attack position Luna's guards hit the griffins with the force of a meteor. All around griffin flesh was run through by razor sharp steel and even more were knocked flying by the force of the charge. Planting herself in fearlessness of her power Princess Luna began strafing her head from side to side, blasting griffins at close range with bolts of magic.

Under the surprise assault the griffin army broke.

With cries of terror griffins abandoned their comrades and leapt into the air, seeking to save themselves from the slaughter. With a roar of triumph the stallions redoubled their efforts and cut down the griffins in droves. Bolts of magic and thrown spears knocked griffins from the air as pegasi flew in pursuit. Celestia's army gave no quarter.

*****

At long last, the battle came to an end. All around the detritus of battle spread like a blanket over the earth. Spears were spiked into the earth at crazy angles and blood ran in streams over the turf. Worse still were the bodies. Dark shapes lay scattered over the terrain in clusters where they fell finally finding peace and rest in the silence of death's embrace. The groans of the wounded serenaded the end of the day's carnage as dazed stallions supported wounded comrades, or worse, nosed through the bodies of the slain seeking a friend.

In the middle of it all stood Princess Celestia. Her pink eyes swept over the battlefield again and again, too stunned to fully comprehend the slaughter. Her army had won a great victory, completely routing the enemy army while inflicting heavy losses on the same. By comparison her army's loses had been relatively light, still, she knew that many stallions were dead by her command, and many would be forever scarred.

One by one her surviving commanders reported their unit's losses. Each number seemed so clinically detached that it stung all the more knowing each scratch on a wax tablet was a life snuffed out. Next came Ares, Twilight and Luna. Ares' hooves were stained with mud and blood and he was covered in minor wounds incidental to action. Princess Celestia turned away from them so they would not see her eyes.

"Sister, Twilight, please see to the wounded. Ares please have Commander Fleethoof begin forming burial parties."

Ares voice was hesitant in reply.

"Majesty... Commander Fleethoof did not survive."

Celestia's eyes closed in pain at his words.

"I see. Then Ares please see to the burial of the dead."

The three ponies hesitated but nodded and left to fulfill her orders.

Slowly, Princess Celestia raised her head and lowered the sun on a day she wished had never come. The sunset over the western horizon cast a blood red glow to the hellish landscape soon, she hoped, the coming of night would bring solace to those affected by the day's slaughter.

Then, alone at last, Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria and raiser of the sun sat down and wept.