• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 27,069 Views, 1,615 Comments

Mass Effect 2 - DLC: The Equestrian Equation - Loyal2Luna



In this exclusive DLC, what begins as a simple search-and-rescue mission unveils a mystery millions of years in the making. Your choices are Commander Shepard's choices, and all of Equestria is at stake.

  • ...
44
 1,615
 27,069

Epilogue: Only the Beginning

Spoiler Warning: Video in this chapter may contain spoilers for those who have not played Mass Effect 2 to the end.

Three Days Later

Twilight Sparkle stood on a grand balcony of the Citadel Presidium, looking out into the glow of the massive ward arms that stretched far into the distance towards the glimmering light of the Serpent Nebula. This particular suite had been provided by the Council for the "visiting" dignitaries of the newly-discovered Equestrian race, while the rest of her people had been granted lodgings in a human habitat in the upper Wards until it could be determined what was to be done with them.

Almost as soon as they had arrived, the Equestrians had become instant celebrities. A new race; intelligent, adorable, and the center of what would soon be the biggest story since the Battle of the Citadel. The media had fallen in love with them almost immediately, and as Pinkie Pie quickly showed when she was interviewed by a human reporter, Emily Wong, (who had been put in touch with them through their mutual friend on the Normandy), they were intelligent enough to be taken seriously.

By the second day after their arrival, the Council, who had originally stated that a "mere" three hundred and forty-two individuals, assistant mechs included, did not merit the status of a Citadel Race, were suddenly pressured into meeting with "Madam President Twilight Sparkle," only to learn that they were not going to like what she had to say.

And after the past two days of meeting with dignitaries, posing for photo ops of the "monumental" occasion of her species' first meeting with the full Council, and her heated discussions with the Councilors themselves alongside her "assisting mech," she had come to a single conclusion.

She hated politics.

The Council had been patronizing at first, believing her to be a simple sort of creature that stood before their established superiority, and attempted to impress her with decorum and a thorough interrogation as to her species’ origins.

But when she had taken the floor, they quickly learned that the "Madam President" of the Equestrians was not just some animal, but that she could voice her own concerns, which were not of a trivial sort.

With the exception of Councilor Anderson, whom she had been relieved to learn was Shepard’s friend and mentor, (a fact that immediately endeared her to the gruff, but fair, human), the Council had dismissed both her claims of what Equestria really was, and her assertions of the impending attack by the galactic boogeymen known as Reapers.

"No proof," they had said.

"Simply impossible," they had said.

They did not deny that their rescue had been traumatic. But they used that as a reason that she, like the others of her species, may have felt a need to repay their savior by offering support of his "wild and baseless" theories of a mythical threat.

"Like pounding your head against a wall," as Anderson described it, was certainly accurate. And on more than one occasion, Twilight had found herself considering how big of a warp field she could produce and if she could hit all three Councilors at once while leaving Anderson unscathed.

In hindsight, it was obvious to her why they chose to keep her only true ally between herself and them.

“Madam President. The Board of Directors is here to see you,” Forty-Two chirped in a robotic, emotionless tone, lacking any inflection as he continued to work passing as a mere virtual intelligence.

“You can drop the formality when it’s just us, Forty-Two. And they’re not the Board of Directors when we’re alone. They’re my friends.”

“Sure thing, Twilight.” The mech nodded, his voice changing accordingly as he moved to unlock the door, five familiar ponies moving in.

“Well, what did they say?” Rainbow asked, darting in first as usual.

“The Council has decided in a three to one vote that there is not sufficient evidence to support our claims. As such, it has been ‘requested’ that we do not disclose our interpretation of events before boarding the rescue transport as it could cause panic among the more "susceptible" of galactic citizens. Also, it has been asked that we do not mention Commander Shepard's involvement, as his status as a Spectre indicates the situation is classified.”

“In other words, they want us to stay quiet about Equestria and the Reapers.” Rarity grimaced. “And by more susceptible, I assume they mean ‘any life-form with a functioning brain.’”

“Ugh, you know what? I vote we immigrate to Earth... Humans are waaaay better than these Council stiffs.” Pinkie stuck her tongue out and rolled her eyes.

“Not so fast, Pinkie. In exchange for our ‘cooperation,’ both the Asari and Salarian Councilors have agreed to vote along with Anderson to grant us asylum on the Citadel,” Twilight explained.

“That’s extortion!” Applejack scowled, reaching up to draw her brand new, genuine Texan stetson down on her head. “If’n those dunderheads won’t listen ta reason, Ah say we go public! Rant loud enough and somepony’s gonna come over ta see what all the fuss is about.”

“But then we waste our time butting heads with species that have been in power for centuries here, while they proceed to make us look like foals whining in the woods,” Fluttershy spoke up with an acute observation. “We’ll all waste resources arguing, and eventually everypony loses.”

“Unless the Reapers show up first. Then we get to be proven right about five seconds before we all die,” Pinkie pointed out with a distinct lack of subtlety.

Twilight remained in place looking out towards the purple glow of the nebula surrounding the Citadel, her friends falling silent as they moved to her side.

“So what’s our first step?” Rarity asked. “The Reapers are still coming and they won’t listen.”

“Then we don’t speak out. We just play our part and avoid stepping on anypony’s tail.” Twilight shook her head. “We need the Council right now if we hope to survive as a species. And we need the time.”

“Time for what?” Fluttershy questioned curiously.

“To prepare...” Twilight’s eyes hardened, her gaze never leaving the distant glow of space as she felt a slight smile form on her muzzle. “It’s time we fall back on the old equine standby... Bide and gather our strength. We know they’re coming. That is enough. Now we do everything we can to get ready. And when the time comes... when it can’t be denied any longer... the Herd will step up.”

The six ponies and one changeling mech stood at the edge of the balcony, their direction set as they watched the spectacular glow in the distance.

“What about Shepard?” Rainbow asked, standing at Twilight’s right.

“When he needs us, we’ll be there. Just like he was there for us,” Twilight assured her winged friend, feeling a new confidence rise, even if she was still growing into her new position. “But until then... there’s one thing I know for certain.”

Twilight tilted her head up, now able to make out a few stars past the purple glow of the nebula.

“Right now, wherever he is... he’s fighting for all of us.”

And as she stared into the stars beyond their new-found safe haven, Twilight Sparkle could not help but think that somehow, their Shepard was looking out at the same stars... and like Twilight... felt something staring back.

——————————At That Very Moment——————————