• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 27,018 Views, 1,615 Comments

Mass Effect 2 - DLC: The Equestrian Equation - Loyal2Luna



In this exclusive DLC, what begins as a simple search-and-rescue mission unveils a mystery millions of years in the making. Your choices are Commander Shepard's choices, and all of Equestria is at stake.

  • ...
44
 1,615
 27,018

Foreword from Loyal2Luna

Spoiler Warning

This story contains detailed descriptions and references to the Mass Effect Universe and the first two games of the Mass Effect Trilogy. There will be massive spoilers for both the first and second games, so read on at your own risk.

Mass Effect 2: Synopsis

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the series, please accept these links to find out a bit about this world I am taking you into. And please, please note that from here on in, there will be massive spoilers for both the first and second games. Read on at your own risk.


The Basics
Shepard Meets the Illusive Man near the beginning of Mass Effect 2

The crew of the Normandy SR-2:
Commander Shepard
Miranda Lawson: Cerberus Officer
Jacob Taylor: Former Alliance Soldier/Cerberus Lieutenant
Garrus Vakarian: Vigilante/Weapons Specialist
Tali'Zorah vas Normandy: Chief Engineer
Professor Mordin Solus: Biological Specialist/Former STG Operative
Thane Krios: Expert Assassin
Samara: Asari Justicar
Grunt: Krogan Super-soldier
Jack: Psychotic Biotic Expert
Legion: Geth Platform
Zaeed Massani: Mercenary
Kasumi Goto: Master Thief/Infiltration Specialist

Foreword

On March 6th of 2012, he game developer Bioware released Mass Effect 3, the final installment of a franchise that had arguably become one of the finest RPG experiences of its generation, as choices from across the previous two titles came to a head. Received with critical acclaim and a near universal awe from critics and fans alike, the record-breaking final chapter of Commander Shepard (in spite of some controversy regarding the series' unorthodox ending) left many questioning if it was possible to make the franchise better.

One caffeine-addicted, clinically-insane fangirl answered this question in one word.

Ponies.

At 7:15 AM, April 12th, 2012, the mad pegasister known as Loyal2Luna attempted to release DLC for Mass Effect 2 on the Xbox Live Marketplace for the price of 1000 bits.

Unfortunately, after having her morning cup of coffee, it was then realized that aside from lacking any programming skills or talents with digital media, she had no clue how to create downloadable content or how to make it available to fellow Mass Effect playing ponies.

So she settled on releasing the manuscript of this idea for her fellow sci-fi, pony-loving brethren on FIMFiction.net.

For all who participate in this mad little writing experiment:

Enjoy.

Mass Effect 2: DLC - “The Equestrian Equation”

The Premise:

This is an interactive story written in the spirit and style of the Mass Effect Universe and intended to be read as if it were additional content for the game. While the focus of the story is centered, of course, on the illustrious Commander Shepard, events will have a cinematic feel much as the game and be able to cut away to other characters from both the Equestrian Universe and the Mass Effect Universe.

Now, while I am well aware that no two players' Shepards are alike, we need a single Shepard... and since this is my story (ABUSES THE IMAGINARY POWER!!) the design of Shepard is based on my own primary incarnation.

Dossier:

Commander Leonardo Shepard

Gender: Male

Class: Soldier

Service History: Colonist, War Hero, Savior of the Citadel Council

Advocated: Councilor Anderson

Significant Other: ME1 : Liara / ME 2: Tali

Past Play-style: Paragon

Place in the Story:

"The Equestrian Equation" takes place as a side-mission during the events of Mass Effect 2. Available only for a short time, this additional mission set is available after retrieving the Reaper IFF for the Normandy, but before the crew of the Normandy is abducted. (If this is a spoiler for you, you may wish to stop reading now and go out to purchase all three games of the Mass Effect series and play them non-stop for the next 120+ hours to behold their awesomeness.) Before anypony says anything (I can hear you thinking out there): Yes I know you can only take two missions between these events, but consider this a hidden "third" available mission that does not take up one of those slots.

The Rules:

Barring unforeseen occurrences in real life, I intend to post a new chapter every two weeks until the conclusion of the story, premiering segments on the 1st and 15th of the month to make it easy to keep track of when new options become available.

These chapters will usually be between 3-7k words to prevent my tendency to snowball chapters (as fans of my Doctor Whooves series are keenly aware of) and to maintain a snappy reading pace.

At the end of every chapter, a dialog wheel of choices will be made available and normally include three options. For one week (until the evening of the 8th and 22nd respectfully) readers may vote in the comments (One vote per account name, anonymous postings and guest comments will not be counted to avoid ‘stacking’ votes) at the end of which period, votes will be tallied and the most popular choice will be written up for the next chapter, having ramifications that will effect everything that comes after and those choices not picked will be crossed out of the dialog wheel.

Addendum:

As the story has now been completed, the above rules no longer apply. This should not prevent you from enjoying the story, however. The choices made already and their respective consequences are simply set in stone.


Now that that’s out of the way:

Game on!

*Press the "Next" button to start*