• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 15,988 Views, 1,050 Comments

When The Wind Changes - Symphony



Discord is free again, but this time some changes occured.

  • ...
59
 1,050
 15,988

Hospital

Discord stirred awake. He had no idea of what had happened. All he remembered was pushing Rarity out of the way and was then hit by something. Everything went black after that. He cracked his eyes open but regretted the decision as the light blinded him. He took a deep breath. His ribcage hurt like it was on fire. He heard a few muffled voices.


’‘He’s waking up!’’ That annoying voice couldn’t be anypony else than Twilight Sparkle. He groaned and opened his eyes again.


He was in a hospital room. There were only basic furniture to make the room seem a little cosier than what it actually was. The elements of harmony were standing to his right side. Rainbow Dash was sitting in a corner with her back towards him. Luna was on his left side and looked like she was about to cry from joy. She wrapped her forelegs around him in a tight embrace. Discord yelped and cringed from the pain.


’‘Ribs... Ribs...’’ He croaked, clenching his eyes shut because of the pain that shot through him. Luna released him almost instantly but laid her right hoof on his hoof. ’‘Thank you.’’ He smiled weakly. He groaned as the pain from his ribcage returned.


’‘Rainbow Dash explained everything to us. It was an unfortunate accident.’’ Luna glanced at the cyan pegasus that huffed.


’‘Yeah, accident...’’ Discord rolled his eyes. ’‘She shot me with a damn cannon!’’ He flailed his arms but regretted it instantly as another wave of pain rolled through him.


’’It was meant to explode into confetti on impact.’’ Luna sighed.


’‘Really?’’ Discord arched an eyebrow.


’‘Yes,’’ Luna nuzzled his neck. ’‘but I’m glad that it wasn’t serious injuries.’’ A light green unicorn doctor with a light blue mane walked through the door. He was levitating a chart besides him. He had a fake smile that Discord saw right through.


’‘Glad to see you awake, Mr...’’ The doctor eyed the chart.


’‘Discord.’’ Luna interrupted.


’‘I’m sorry princess, but there’s no room for jokes in a hospital.’’ Luna was taken aback from the sudden disrespect from the pony. Discord’s eyes narrowed. He wondered for a while if doctors are allowed to tend to their own broken bones.


’’I am Discord.’’ Discord deadpanned. The necklace around his neck was still compact, much to Discord’s dismay.


The doctor stared at him for a couple of seconds in silence. He shook his head and looked down at the chart again. ’‘Well then, Mr. Discord... The doctor levitated a pair of glasses onto his nose. ’’A few cuts at random places... A few shards of glass on your back, cut in deep.’’ The elements of harmony cringed at the thought of having glass in their backs. Luna shuddered and scooted closer towards Discord. ’‘Aaand three broken ribs on your right side where the projectile hit.’’ The doctor levitated the chart to a desk in the corner of the room.


’‘How long will he stay here in the hospital?’’ Luna piped up.


’‘Depends on how long the recovery will take. Perhaps one week. The ribs won’t heal for about a month though.’’ The doctor shrugged. ’‘With his natural magic, it should be a speedy recovery.’’


’’I don’t have any natural magic.’’ Discord cracked his neck.


’‘What are you talking about? You have wings and a horn. Probably even earth pony magic.’’ The doctor snorted.


’‘See this necklace?’’ Discord tapped it with his hooves. The doctor nodded. ’‘Your great genius of a princess’’ Discord was heavy with the sarcasm. ’‘locked it to me and only Sunshine can remove it. It blocks out all the magic I have, natural or not.’’ Discord grunted as more pain spread through him.


’’I see...’’


’‘Now shoo, I wish to speak to Rainbow Dash about this little misfortune...’’ Discord scowled and the doctor scurried out from the room. Rainbow tensed up and turned to Discord, grinning innocently. ’‘Come closer so I can strangle you...’’ Discord growled and everypony in the room gasped and Rainbow was about to fly away before Discord burst out laughing, hurting his ribcage even more. ’‘You should have seen the look on your faces!’’ He wiped a tear from his eyes with a hoof. ’’No seriously, come closer.’’ She took a few cautious steps towards the bed.


’‘What do you have to say for yourself, young lady?’’ Discord imitated a parent chastising a misbehaving child.


’‘Sorry for y’know... Breaking your ribs and cutting you up.’’ Rainbow shuffled her hooves. She hated apologizing.

’’Eh... Could’ve been better...’’ Discord leaned back against the board of the bed, sitting up. He recieved a swift silver-clad hoof to the back of his head and a disapproving glare from Princess Luna. ’‘Fine...’’ He sighed. ’‘Apology accepted.’’ Rainbow Dash seemed to perk up at this and lifted her head a little higher.


’’2 points for chaos, 1 points for harmony.’’ Rainbow Dash chuckled.


’’No way, this is a two-pointer. Two - two.’’ Discord scratched his neck with his right hoof.


’’I guess... First to reach five?’’ Rainbow grinned.


’‘Deal.’’ Discord smirked. His expression turned serious and into a frown.


The fire rubies on Discord’s necklace started suddenly shining in a deep, red glow. His whole body started twitching furiously. His mouth was hanging open from the shock and his eyes shot open. Luna and Rainbow Dash scrambled to their hooves and backed away from him, staring at his twitching form. His eyes started glowing like the rubies. It was now a full-on seizure. The machines connected to him started beeping furiously.


A pained scream escaped him as the same doctor from before ran inside with two nurses close behind him.


’‘Nurse! Hold him down!’’ The doctor barked to the unicorn nurse who fused her magic and held Discord down to the bed, making him unable to move but he was still twitching a little. Luna had no idea what was going on, she wanted to help but there was nothing she could do to help.


The doctor stared at one of the machines that was beeping like mad. ’‘He’s having a magic overload! That necklace must be stacking his energy and is releasing now!’’ The doctor reasoned. Luna’s ears flattened to her skull. The elements of harmony was staring at the scene unfolding, except for Fluttershy who was lying in a corner and covering her head with her hooves.


’‘Nurse!’’ The doctor called to the earth pony nurse that was busy diagnosing one of the machines. ’‘Give him a large dose of Liquid 53, stat!’’ Discord’s whole body started glowing in a slow succession. The nurse seemed shocked.


’’D-Doctor..?’’ She stammered.


’‘DAMMIT! WE’RE GONNA LOSE THIS GUY! DO IT!’’ The doctor screamed, the panic was visible in his expression. The nurse nodded and fetched a tiny bottle with a liquid that was glowing a sick green colour. She grabbed a syringe and filled it with the liquid. She inserted the needle into Discord’s neck, just above the necklace.


Discord’s seizure died down and the glowing in his eyes died. They returned to their normal crimson shine and Discord took a deep breath. His mouth was still slightly open, he looked apathetic. The rubies on the necklace stopped glowing gradually.


Luna walked slowly to the side of the bed, eyeing him. When she was standing just besides him, her lower lip started quivering and she laid her head on his neck. Discord’s left ear flapped twice.


’‘What happened?’’ Luna looked up at the doctor with tears in her eyes.


’’He had a magic overload.’’ The doctor sighed. ’’We were lucky we could stop it, if we wouldn’t have stopped it he would have died from the strain on his body.’’ The room went silent at the thought of him dying just like that.


’’How..?’’ Twilight walked to the right side of the bed.


’’I suspect that when he isn’t walking around or doing any physical activity, his energy stacks until it lashes out like this.’’ The doctor levitated the chart that he had left in the room the first time he had entered the room to him.


Discord’s eyes widened and his pupils dilated completely. A stupid grin embraced his features. ’‘Uh huh... Pretty birds’’ He grinned and looked at the rest of the elements of harmony.


Luna and Twilight looked at eachother confused. ’‘Say doctor, what was in that Liquid 53?’’ Luna asked suspiciously.


’‘Just a few magic reducing chemicals, Morphine and Anesthetics.’’ The doctor shrugged.


’‘HAH! Dicks!’’ Discord exclaimed and started bouncing on the bed in a lazy fashion.


’‘You... You drugged him?’’ Twilight glanced at the thrilled spirit bouncing around. The doctor nodded.


’‘Discord!’’ Luna exclaimed. ’‘Get a hold of yourself!’’ She shook him by his shoulders.


’‘But I don’t feel like dancing...’’ Discord whined and frowned. Luna froze for a couple of seconds, thinking about what he just said. She shook her head and decided that it was best not to argue with him right now. Discord squeaked in excitement when he brushed one of his hooves through Luna’s mane.


’’Oh for crying out loud...’’ Luna whispered to herself.