• Published 19th Jul 2014
  • 8,306 Views, 245 Comments

The Wolf's War - Blazing47s



When a huge black wolf mysteriously appears in Equestria, he brings with him an evil that nopony could have seen coming. After befriending the mane six, the black wolf must stop the approaching tide of evil before it is too late.

  • ...
13
 245
 8,306

New Lessons *Revised*

Link was no stranger to waiting. In fact, he had done it so often that he had it down to a science, with a developed technique that had saved his life many a time. When in dangerous territory, lying down to sleep could spell certain death, as any creature could sink a claw into you while you were unconscious. But you couldn’t just not sleep for days on end. Taking on enemies at half capacity or hindered by sleep deprivation would also mean a quick death. Link’s technique was meant to solve that problem.

After Fluttershy had fallen back asleep again on his side, Link had fallen into a sort of meditative state. Most of his mind was in a sleep like trance, while the rest kept track of everything around him. Any sound, scent or sight would immediately alert him, and he would be up in an instant, ready to defend himself or others. Link had actually learned this technique form his own father, mostly used by shepherds to keep watch over their flocks while also getting the rest they needed, or by soldiers in military zones. Link had gotten comfortable on the large couch in Fluttershy’s home, and was now deep into his resting state of mind. His brain catalogued the small rise and fall of the yellow pegasus on his side, and the sounds and smells of the outside world.

So when he heard the small snap of a twig breaking outside in the forest, it took milliseconds for his brain to differentiate the sound between the normal noise of the forest and the sound of someone trying to stay unnoticed, or to get his attention. This also had taken much practice, and learning the art of stealth for himself. Even though Link’s eyes had been open the entire time, they now awoke with the fire of intelligence that had been lying dormant. His muscles tensed, ready for action, and he took in a deep pull of the air. He shook himself , trying to wake the pegasus on his side. Fluttershy was up in an instant, if still a little groggy. She wiped her face with a hoof, feeling a shot of burning embarrassment as she realized she had been drooling. However, she felt exceptionally better than she had just hours ago, and was about to thank Link for letting her lie on him when she saw his eyes.

“What is it?” Fluttershy asked, looking around in the darkened room, not spotting anything to justify the wolf’s reaction. The house seemed peaceful and dark. She could see small shafts of sunlight coming through the gaps in the shutters. She walked over to one, and opened it, looking outside. Nothing out of the ordinary, mostly just her animal friends retreating into their burrows. Night must be falling soon.

Link heaved himself off of the couch, landing on his feet with a stumble. Fluttershy turned quickly at the sound. She gasped and tried to protest, seeing spots of red appear in his bandages. Her words seemed to slide off of him like water, and she could only follow his limping progress to the door, biting her lip with worry. She nearly cried out in worry as she saw him skillfully turn the nob with his teeth and pull the door open. The wolf made it outside and seemed to bask in the evening air. He looked taller, thicker, taking strength from it. The sun was sinking under the mountains on the horizon, painting the sky a beautiful painting of yellows and oranges. Most of the creatures in Fluttershy’s yard were making their way into their houses, preparing themselves for the coming night. The shadows under the trees of the close Everfree forest were deepening, becoming the oppressive and inky blackness that Fluttershy remembered. Link seemed not to care, and turned himself towards the woods.

Fluttershy once again tried to protest, even tugging at him with her hooves. “You cant move yet!” She said softly. “You have to stay inside! It’ll help you feel better . . .” She trailed off as the got closer to the woods. Fluttershy swallowed nervously, making sure to stick close to Link as he unsteadily padded in the wood’s direction.

As they drew nearer, a glow came from a small section of forest. It started off as a small yellow spot, barely visible in the deep shadows. As they grew closer, the light in between the trees grew stronger and brighter, becoming more noticeable. It illuminate Link’s face and chest, painting in and giving the lines and curves of his body a gentle edge. Fluttershy seemed to shrink down into herself, shivering with fear. Just like it always had, the Everfree forest held an air of terror and death that terrified her. Link stopped a few yards away from the tree line, staring expectantly at the yellow glow, which continued to brighten.

Fluttershy was curious as to the origin of the glow, but not enough to keep herself from hiding herself behind Link’s body, eyeing the fearfully forest over his shoulder. She bit her lip and glanced back towards the direction of Ponyville. She desperatle hoped for a conveniently well timed entrance by her friends, anyone.

And then another wolf glided out of the trees, appearing as if by magic. It was as large as Link, a giant predator in its grace and fluidity. It was the source of the warm yellow glow, and the opressive darkness of the every seemed to bend and shie away from the wolfs coat. Fluttershy thought it seemed slightly transparent; she could detect hints of the trees through the giant wolfs body. Its right eye was as red as a burning coal - the left was a steady white. Fluttershy shrank back even farther, her fright pinning her wings to her side as she fought the urge to flee. Link faced the other wolf, staring at it steadily. And in that moment, Fluttershy caught a glimpse of the real Link.

The wind was blowing gently through his fur, making the white highlights ripple with a slight hypnotic motion, highlighted against the rising moon. He looked like an unstoppable force of nature, a fact of reality, something that just existed, as unmovable as the ground he stood on. His head was held high, and even though he greatly favored one side more than the other, confidence and courage floated off of him in a soothing aura, power embodied in his very form. He seemed like a regal king, something that could withstand the fiercest winds or waves, or take on the most vile of demons. And his eyes. They captivated her. They shone like blue fire, burning away all fear, all darkness, with complete determination. They were alight with something that seemed to pierce the blackness of the night, filled with clarity and knowledge. But she also detected a hint of sorrow, of things not meant to be seen. Those eyes had faced unimaginable horrors, and come out victorious. Suddenly the injury to his side was a brother to numerous others invisible to the eye that cut across and through him. She could see his scarred spirit, blows and marks apparent for all to see, telling her soul that if he was there, nothing bad could happen.

The unexpected glimpse into Link's true nature stunned Fluttershy, who stopped breathing for a moment. The wind seemed to stand still as the wolves faced each other. One a glowing yellow, the other of obsidian strength. At an there was an unspoken signal, and Fluttershy could breathe again. She gasped in a breath, and stumbled backward now a good distance away from the wolves. She nearly fell to her haunches, but she couldn't pry her eyes away from the scene in front of her. The yellow wolf bowed his head slightly, a sign of submission, and stepped back. Link sagged slightly, as if the standoff had taken something out of him. Then like lighting, the other wolf leapt. Its teeth closed around Links neck, claws burrowing into his fur, as he stood unmoving.

Fluttershy screamed his name.

-----

Link woke and stood to his paws, shaking his head to clear it. He looked around, gazing into the almost familiar surroundings. The world around him was white, in almost every direction. It stretched off to every side, seemingly unending. It shone from an invisible light source high in the air, which seemed to light up the entire blank world. He could feel that the bandages around his side were gone, the pain of his side absent, and the deep ache in his bones was gone.

But it was the thing ahead of him that gave him pause. A bipedal creature, standing a few feet above his head in height. It was clothed in ancient looking armor, with chipped metal and worn wood. The only thing showing wasn’t skin. It was bone. The hand that held a round shield, the half of its face that peeked out under its horned helmet, were bone. No skin, muscle, or ligaments held the yellowing and chipped bone together; they just stayed in place, held there by something unseen. The visible eye was nothing but a red bulb in an empty socket.

“Hero,” The voice came from the general direction of the armored skeleton, but slightly indistinct. “We meet again. I am proud of the person you have become,” It said, bowing its head. “You truly are worthy of the title ‘Hero of Twilight’,” It’s raised its head, slowly, as if in regret. “But the goddesses have one last task for you to complete. These are the last lessons I will pass on to you, Hero.”

Link nodded, but then whined in confusion after looking down at his wolf body once more.

The skeleton acknowledged this with a nod, and answered the unspoken question. “The lessons I will now pass to you are better served in your wolf body. They will aid you most while you are stuck this way.” Link nodded and barked once to show that he was ready, and the skeleton soldier commenced its lesson. “You now reside in a world of magic, where it is used casually in everyday life by the ponies you find yourself among. Telekinetic and magical attacks are almost certainly used in combat.” Link followed along in his mind, cataloging the information for further use. He had seen magic in use before, when Twilight had been at Fluttershy’s house. “For such attacks that will hit you physically, I now pass on the Iron Shell skill.” The skeleton raised a hand toward Link, bony palm facing the wolf. “Imagine the force is like water, flowing around your body. I will now lift you with telekinesis. Escape.”

Link felt an invisible force press around his body, tightening every second. Though no visible magic was coming out of the skeleton, the air was thick with its scent, and Link could feel himself rising up into the air, the skeleton’s magical grip strengthening all the while. After a few seconds of muted struggling in the air, Link suddenly dropped back to his paws, and panted, taking in a few deep breaths.

The skeleton nodded. “Well done. I will now use a force attack. Some magical attacks you may be able to dodge, but for ones you cannot, imagine yourself as an untouchable wall, and then make it so.” Link took a deep breath, and shifted his weight onto his back paws and lowering himself near the ground, in a ready stance. The skeleton nodded one, and then attacked. As before, there was no visible energy, but Link yelped as the force hit him like a wall, his fur thrashing under the power. Link felt himself buckling, but with a determined growl he stood tall, and the force seemed to dissipate.

“Well done,” The skeleton put down his hand, letting Link shift back into a more relaxed stance. “The skill ‘Iron Shell’ has been passed on!” Link’s muzzle developed a wolfish smile, and he waited for the skeleton to continue. It quickly obliged him. “Other magical attacks will be aimed toward your mind and threaten to kill or incapacitate you from the inside out,” The skeleton explained. “Many will implement the use of black magic,” it said with disdain. Link grimaced, remembering the sickly smell, and the skeleton seemed to share his feelings. “I now pass on the skill, Shout of Courage,” The armored skeleton continued. “Channel your courage and strength into your mind, and then release it with your breath,” it instructed. Link nodded.

The skeleton raised one palm again, and began its assault. Instantly, the world around Link turned to a pitch black. Link’s ears flattened in confusion, but he stayed in his ready stance, not moving. Then something hit his brain like a sledge hammer, and Link whimpered. The pain scattered all of his thoughts. It struck again and again, and each time Link shrunk nearer to the ground under the attack on his conscience. Link wanted it to just stop, to give in and make it go away. But something inside him lit. Link gathered his courage, and barked, raising his head high. This was not the normal bark of a large canine, but something more powerful. Waves of sound rippled out of his mouth, shredding into the darkness like knives. They cut it away, leaving him back in front of the skeleton once more. Link shook his head to get rid of the last traces of the mental attack, grateful to be rid of it. His eyes flicked back and forth, still hearing the echoes from the unbelievably loud bark in the empty landscape.

“Be wary, Hero,” The skeleton caught his attention once more. “In the waking world, this skill will tax your body and spirit. Only use it in the direst of circumstances,” It cautioned. “I will leave you with one last gift, not out of duty but as your teacher and mentor.” It finished.

Link nodded and barked normally once to show his understanding, his tail swishing back and forth slightly. “The Shout of Courage has been passed on!” The skeleton bowed its head, and Link woke up.

-----

Twilight, Princess Luna, Spike, Pinkie Pie, Dusk, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and the three still unnamed Night Pegasi made their way through the steadily darkening evening towards Fluttershy’s house. All of the ponies had been briefed on the situation, and most were silent, pondering about what might happen when they made it to the cottage. Applejack was probably in the worst mood of the group. She had faced many Timberwolves before, usually threatening her farm crops or family. She had been raised with an extreme dislike for them, and, even though she had been informed that Link wasn’t a Timberwolf, was still convinced this wasn't a good idea.

The Everfree Forest was quickly darkening on either side of the dirt path. The braches seemed to loom overhead threateningly, and the shadows had even caused Pinkie Pie to lose some of her bounce, though she still smiled contentedly from Dusk’s side (who was wondering how she was still bouncing. How could anypony have that much energy?). Luna had had to take a quick stop before they left the town to nudge the moon onto its correct course, letting it take its own path across the sky as the sun sunk lower and lower on the horizon, the last of its rays just barely poking over the mountain peaks. It outlined Canterlot in a beautiful array of colors, one that Rarity had eyed thoughtfully, no doubt coming up with even more fashion ideas.

“Today is a wonderful fashion day!” She thought. “Now if only I could get Dusk to be a dear and model for me. I have the best idea for a winter line up, and his armor is just perfect for when I am making the clothing.” She eyed Dusk out of one eye. “Now how would I get him to stand still for enough time . . .” She wondered.

Luna seemed unbothered by the darkness. Being the Princess of the Night, a certain peace came when her celestial body was the one highest in the sky. She actually enjoyed this time of day, when her sister’s hot sun sank to the soothing cool of her beautiful moon. Many ponies across Equestria had taken more time to appreciate the night lately (one of them being Twilight Sparkle, who had always loved stargazing and astronomy, but after Luna had come back she had retaken to it with gusto), and it had perked up her spirits considerably.

The edges of Fluttershy’s property came into view. It was strangely silent, with a tense atmosphere. Twilight frowned, wondering why there was no noise. Even at night Fluttershy’s cottage was surrounded by the hoots of owl and the rustling of nocturnal creatures. The Night Pegasi sensed it too, and had made a loose circle around the ponies in the back. Pinkie poked Dusk in the side, her head tilted. His weight had shifted, bat wings opening slightly, scanning the surroundings with practiced ease. He had taken a step away from her, falling into the formation his armored comrades had created. He was all military mode once again.

Pinkie sighed. “Just as he was starting to get relaxed!” She thought, folding her imaginary legs in her mind. “Maybe I can throw a party for him!” Pinkie’s eyes brightened. “That would get him back to into his super friendly mode!” The pink mare put some extra spring into her step/bounce at the idea.

Then they heard the scream. “Link!” Fluttershy’s desperate cry rebounded off the trees. Even before the word was finished, Rainbow Dash, the Element of Loyalty and Fluttershy’s closest friend, had rocketed over the roof of the house. There one second, gone the next, a rainbow colored trail left in the blue pegasus’ wake. Twilight and the rest of the group weren’t far behind, skidding around the side of the cottage in the damp grass. The Night Pegasi made sure to keep pace with the Element Bearers in the back, keeping in their circle formation. Twilight rounded the corner with Luna not far behind, and she took in the sight in a second.

Fluttershy was crouched on the ground, some distance away from her house, almost touching the border of the Everfree forest. The tall branches had her swallowed in their shadows. Something large and black slumped next to her. The forest the Fluttershy feared so much was only mere feet away, but the yellow pegasus seemed to not even notice. Her head was bowed, her long pink mane hiding her face, falling towards the grass. Rainbow Dash, who had come over the house before the rest of the group, was right behind Fluttershy, rubbign her back with a hoof and muttering softly.

“Link?” Twilight gasped, and rushed to Fluttershy’s side. Rainbow stepped to the side to allow Twilight room. Twilight knelt next to Fluttershy, her brain clicking into analytical mode. Link was lying on his side on the ground, limp and unmoving, his paws sprawled out on the ground. His giant head was cradled in Fluttershy’s legs, who was crying softly. Splotches of deep red were riddled across his bandages, looking
almost black in the low light, staining the white fabric. “Fluttershy? What happened?” Twilight asked, scanning Link over with her gaze. His chest wasn’t even falling or rising. He wasn’t breathing. Not good. Twilight's horn lit up instantly and she started her medical scan, knowing time was of the essence.

Fluttershy shook her head and fought down a sob. “He woke up, and came outside. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn’t listen! And then there was this other giant ghost wolf,” tears leaked down her face and she looked up at Twilight. “And then it attacked him, and he collapsed. I can’t move him, please help me!” She cried, tugging on his head.

“You can’t move him?” Luna asked from behind Twilight. She had heard the entire explanation, and was acting in control and calm, mostly for the other’s sake. The rest of the group, except for the guards, who were still in their protective circle facing the woods, were chatting in a circle near the back of the cottage. Most were casting unbelieving and worried looks in their direction.

“Please, let me try,” Luna asked Fluttershy, leaning her head next to Fluttershy’s. Fluttershy bleakly nodded and backed away. The rest of the Element Bearers let out comforting sounds as they encased the crying Fluttershy in a small group hug. Luna lit her horn and carefully wrapped the unconscious wolf in her deep blue magic. Luna gently lifted, expecting the wolf to rise into the air at a slow pace. Instead, nothing happened. Something invisible seemed to be tethering him to the ground. Luna frowned and pulled harder, trying to yank him upwards. Nothing happened, except for her wasting energy. No matter how hard she tugged, the wolf failed to lift off of the ground. Twilight watched Luna’s attempts in silence.

“He is immovable, it would seem,” Luna said softly. “And not breathing, yet he is still alive,” She frowned. How was this possible? None of this made sense.

“What do we do?” Twilight asked, glancing at Luna, her medical scan confirming Luna's words.

"I am unsure," Luna muttered. "There is only one thing that can be done. We wait,” Luna shrugged. They didn’t have to wait for very long, for as soon as Luna finished her sentence, Link’s body was encased in a yellow glow. Luna and Twilight took a step back, watching in disbelief as he rose up into the air. He floated, suspended above the ground, his head bowed near to his chest and his paws hanging downward. His fur rippled and glowed, flowing in an invisible wind. A huge flash of light made Twilight shield her eyes with a hoof as black spots danced across her vision.

When the spots in her vision had cleared, she glanced around. Twilight heard groans of pain from each side, and caught a glimpse of one of the Night Pegasi stumbling around, a hoof held in front of his eyes. Their sensitive nature had probably made the flash excruciating.
When Twilight looked back at Link, she gasped in surprise. Sitting on his haunches in the grass, as if nothing happened, was the giant wolf. His bandages were gone, and from what Twilight could see, so were his injuries. Normal fur had grown where the slashes used to be, as if they had never been there at all.

“Impossible!” She sputtered. “That amount of magic is . . . it’s impossible!” Twilight was to stunned to move, staring at Link. As most ponies who had researched the medical field knew, magical healing was not an instant solution. It was a long, painstaking process to coax the fibers in the body to heal back to normal. It couldn’t do everything, and it certainly couldn’t do it on this scale.

Luna was just as stunned as Twilight. “I . . . I recognized that magic,” she thought. “But from where?” She racked her memory for the answer, frustrated.

“Link!” Fluttershy exclaimed. She broke out of the silent circle of her friends and rushed towards him. She impacted his chest with a dull thump, her front legs circled around his neck, her face buried into his fur. “You’re okay!” She cried, and Link bowed his head over her shoulder, his huff of breathe ruffling her mane.

The moment was interrupted by a small munching sound. Twilight looked to her left. She rolled her eyes, sighing in annoyance.
Hovering a few feet away, in a floating lawn chair, sprawled a familiar god of chaos. A bucket of popcorn was held in one claw, a pair of 3-D glasses perched on his snout. “Oh, don’t mind me,” Discord said innocently. “This is just getting to the best part!”

Author's Note:

As you can see, I am too lazy to continue enter tabbing every single paragraph in every chapter. So I won't.
Hope you guys enjoyed it (even though nothing extremely exciting happened), and as always, remember to read and review!
Also, comment if you spot any plot, spelling or grammar mistakes that I missed. I will fix those as soon as I can.
Have a great week!