• Published 21st Jul 2014
  • 12,118 Views, 3,890 Comments

Journey with a Batpony - Gulheru



Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, wishes to bring the greatest magic of all to the lands of batponies. Will she succeed in her mission in this distant and dangerous land?

  • ...
32
 3,890
 12,118

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XII – Tools of Trade

She lost herself in the taste of his lips. She felt her entire body shiver, squirming in delight and bliss, one fueled further by his hooves caressing her flesh. All that she could think of was experiencing this wonderful, unique moment with him. That union of their bodies, one that she was craving with a primal and carnal desire. One that she begged for every waking and dreaming moment. She could no longer deny her urges, she could not contain herself, she only cared for him and his love for her. As she felt his hooves travelling down her body, sending even more ripples of pleasure reaching the very core of her being, she managed to pause their passionate kiss and whisper.

“Make me yours—”

Despite reaching the, supposed, high note of this particular novel, Luna ceased the lecture. It appeared that her book of choice for the night was not entirely captivating, nor was it of the highest execution. The plot was a cliché at best and a daring plagiarism at worst, as she was certain that she read this particular quote from the heroine five or six times before, in various other stories.

Still, as far as literature made without any deeper thought went, she could tell it was performing tolerably in its task of relaxing her.

Luna stared up at the wondrous sky, lit up by her just arisen Moon and the blanket of twinkling stars. She sighed in pure elation. Despite rarely feeling overburdened by the matters of the state, she still enjoyed those nights of leisure, when the Royal Court did not have cases requiring immediate attention and she could allow herself some time off. She stretched on her favorite, wonderfully cozy, atramentous chaise longue. Its placement on the terrace allowed her to feel the delicate, nocturnal breeze caress her cheeks, cold and refreshing, as she stared at her marvelous, dark sky.

“Your Majesty...” a mare’s tone addressed Luna with its firm yet calm vibe.

The Princess glanced behind to find a familiar, cornflower unicorn humbly lowering her head, her flowing, raven black mane brushing the marble of the terrace.

The Princess’ eyes filled with joy. “Elegy! How wonderful to see you,” she greeted her, putting the book aside and standing up with unmatched grace to approach her welcomed guest.

“It is an honor to be in your presence again, Your Majesty,” Elegy replied in her colorful mezzo-soprano, giving the Princess a demure look of her orchid eyes.

Luna closed in on her, smiling amiably. “How long has it been since I saw you the last time? Three months?”

“Nearly exactly, Your Majesty, yes,” the unicorn confirmed, returning the grimace. “I have returned to Canterlot but yesterday.”

“Would it be for a long time, Elegy?”

“Here’s hoping a couple of weeks, Your Majesty.”

Luna’s grin only widened. “Oh? Are there any plans of the Royal National Theatre to restage ‘The Duchess of Manelfi’ then?” she inquired in mounting excitement that she did not mind showing. “I reminiscent of the last performance with great fondness. Your rendition of the Duchesse was nothing short of breathtaking!”

“Please, Your Majesty, your praise embarrasses me,” Elegy replied, although her abashment was not quite as grand as her words would indicate. “I have merely done her character justice, nothing else.”

“If that is how you wish to call charming all of the critics,” Luna replied, giggling. “They were all over you, Elegy. I have never seen Brick Bat shedding a single tear before and you made him sob like a maiden at her wedding day.”

The blue unicorn laughed melodiously, covering her mouth. “I admit, I took personal pleasure from dismantling his impassive appearance.”

“I think I recall the exact moment his façade crumbled... How does it go in the play?” Luna pondered for a moment. “Oh! ‘Pull, and pull strongly, for your able strength, must pull down heaven upon me’...”

At her words, Elegy’s eyes shined. She opened her mouth and her voice came forth with an enchanting, captivating vibe, striking an agonizingly sorrowful note and yet only beginning to gain in emotion.

“ ‘Yet stay, heaven gates are not so highly arch'd, as princes' palaces, they that enter there, must go upon their knees. Come, violent death, serve for mandragora, to make me sleep.’ ”

The unicorn’s voice was almost otherworldly, with that note of sadness that was reaching out and grasping hearts in deep, anxious chill of the upcoming death. Elegy’s eyes petrified, when she came to the dramatic and final agreement with her character’s tragic demise.

“ ‘Go, tell my brothers, when I am laid out, they then may feed in quiet,’ ” she declared in but a whisper, but one having the strength to tear down walls. She remained still for a while, her breathing deep, almost fatigued. “Act four, scene two,” she soon added, her eyes glazed over as a distant smile bloomed on her muzzle.

Luna, usually being able to hide even the greatest tides of feelings, could not have stopped her eyes from watering. “I might just grant a donation to the director just so I could see that play again.”

“It would be my great pleasure to perform in front of you again, Your Majesty,” the unicorn ascertained her, bowing her head humbly.

“I would be delighted,” Luna admitted, feeling the gentle breeze drying out the tears that invaded her eyes. “But if it is not the call of the stage that brought you back to Canterlot, what is it then? Duty?” she inquired, raising her eyebrow.

Elegy’s expression became more stoic and professional, forgoing the sign of emotional involvement. “Indeed, Your Majesty. I have finished my assignment in Baltimare and brought in my reports for master Moonwarden to evaluate,” she reported as it was proper. “He wishes to inform you that he has new information to share with you at your earliest convenience.”

Luna nodded. If her advisor was searching for her attention it must have meant it was important, if not downright urgent.

“Very well, Elegy. I presume he is present already then?”

“He is, Your Majesty, but he might still be occupied. We have an examination in schedule for tonight,” the unicorn calmly disclosed.

“Examination?”

At the Princess’ lukewarm tone, Elegy bowed her head in respect and caution. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Did something I should know about happen?”

“No, Your Majesty, it is but a routine questioning.”

“Very well.”

Luna knew a bit too well what the terms like “examination” and “routine questioning” meant when they were used by her personal operatives. With Elegy following her loyally without a single word, she trotted back inside the castle. Her face was stoic and impassive, even as she was fiercely deliberating who she would witness in the hidden chamber underneath her office.

Still, although having names of at least a dozen of culprits and fugitives in her mind, Luna found herself befuddled as she reached the bottom of the staircase.

“Is that who I believe it is?”

“Yes, Your Majesty. Summer Rainfall, ‘Equilibrium’ case,” Elegy, who stopped just behind Luna, confirmed the mare’s identity.

“I thought she was considered for the royal prerogative of mercy and granted a full pardon. Why is she brought here still?”

Even though Luna’s voice became harsher than usual the operative’s calm expression did not falter. “She was granted a pardon, indeed, Your Majesty, as her participation in the conspiracy was nescient and she was found otherwise noninvolved by master Moonwarden and agent Minuette,” she explained, cautiously, as to match her sovereign's budding displeasure. “But master Moonwarden ultimately decided that, in her case, control shall be the better part of trust.”

Luna pressed her lips together pensively.

On the distant side of the chamber sat her personal advisor and a teal pegasus of ash grey mane. To somepony but glancing at the two they would have appeared to be having a somewhat tender, private moment, gazing into each other’s eyes like a loving couple. Especially considering that Moonwarden had a truly satisfied smile on his muzzle.

But Luna knew precisely what was happening. Her servant’s silver eyes were shining with the mercurial aura of his magic, casting a strange light on the other pony’s muzzle. His intense look was piercing, but strangely soothing alike. Inviting and warning. Pleasurable and yet horrifying.

He was gazing right into Summer Rainfall’s eyes, their color subverted by a similar shine to Moonwarden’s magic. It was almost as if a silver in tint mist had befallen them and forbidden them from witnessing anything else than the calmly pulsating shine of the stallion’s gaze. The mare’s mouth was agape, her lips quivering from time to time, like she was attempting to speak up, object, perhaps cry for help. However, she was merely capable of staring blankly and loyally at her subjugator, whose grin could rival those of children playing with their favorite toy.

Luna never enjoyed that sneer of his.

Not a minute later Moonwarden let the light in his eyes gradually disappear. He blinked a couple of times then grabbed Summer Rainfall’s chin. He managed to move her head left and right like he had a pony-sized marionette in front of him. She offered no resistance, her eyes, overtaken by an argent shroud, blankly gazing forward and her face without a sign of recognition of her hopeless situation.

“Delightful,” the stallion declared to himself, chuckling. “I see you are still responding well to the treatment. Your cooperation is appreciated...”

He stroked the mare’s cheek lightly, his smirk but gaining in its malevolence. He then rubbed his temple, exhaling and closing his eyes for a moment. Finally he had lifted himself up, put on his monocle and turned around, spotting that the Princess had already arrived.

“Ah, greetings, my lady,” he welcomed Luna in a warm tone. “Forgive me for keeping you waiting, I had to finish the procedure.”

Her face was as stoic as she could have mustered. “I am well aware,” she coldly stated. “What news do you have for me?”

“Only the most interesting ones!” Moonwarden assured devotedly, although Luna could tell that he took notice of her tone. “Elegy?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Do take it from here, if you please,” he ordered, glancing at the hypnotized mare, sitting motionlessly behind him. “She is susceptible and responsive enough to take direct commands without my presence. Are you not, Summer Rainfall?”

“Yes... I am...” a sleepy answer came from the pegasus, as she did not bother, or perhaps was unable, to look in the right direction.

“Very good!” Moonwarden praised her like a kindergarten teacher. “Now, be a dear and talk to your best friend Elegy here. I shall be back later,” he promised with a certain sinister vibe to his voice.

“Of course...”

Luna had enough of this display. Without even glancing at her servant she turned around, making Elegy dodge her as she stormed up the stairs. She was trying her best to contain her outrage. Yes, she was tolerating clandestine practices, but even her patience had its limits. Especially when it came to subversion of her authority. She reached her office and sat behind the desk, conjoining her hooves before her muzzle. She and Moonwarden had to have a serious conversation.

A blink of his eyepiece heralded him emerging from the stairwell. He carried with him a couple of scrolls. He stood near one of the desk’s seats, but did not dare to sit down, his expression tranquil, but cautious.

“Asking: ‘Is something wrong?’ is foolish, asking: ‘What is wrong?’ sounds impudent. So, instead I shall but ask... How may my service to you excel further, Your Majesty?” he inquired with a deep, respectful bow.

Luna had trouble remaining calm at his blatant insolence. “Tread with utmost care, servant.”

He did not dare to look up, his bow even deepening. “How have I vexed you, Your Majesty?” he loyally inquired.

Luna gathered her authority before beginning. The very first words that came from her mouth made the stallion stand in full attention. “Let me elucidate, Moonwarden. I have granted you my official permit to conduct the necessary actions and operations in my service. I have bestowed upon you the privilege of fulfilling those duties as you see fit. And, despite what I know about the dangers of mentalism, I have allowed you to use this art, research it and practice it, without scrutiny other than mine. You are naturally apt in it, after all.”

“You are most kind, Your Majesty” the stallion interjected, but Luna’s gaze silenced him immediately.

“You shall speak when permitted to do so, servant!” her raised voice warned him. “I firmly believe that you were supposed to utilize those skills on convicts and criminals, as to learn about them and find the cause of their transgressions. And so, you shall explain to me, promptly and thoroughly,” she paused, so that her words could sink in before she erupted. “How dare you bewitch and interrogate an innocent mare to whom my sister and I granted full pardon?!”

Moonwarden shuddered before taking a long breath, a certain calmness to his eyes. For Luna, it meant that he had prepared an answer in advance and she was about to hear it exclaimed in a way to rival Elegy’s performance.

“Your Majesty, the single, most important underground task of the Royal Office is the oversight of our country. We are responsible for making sure that the ponies of Equestria obey our laws and follow the regulations that are cast upon them. And, although our society is far from rebellious, our mission is a necessary guaranty of the peaceful existence of your subjects, Your Majesty. While miscreants would provide us information on their respective cases, we also need ponies that are able of giving us insight on entire societal groups. Summer Rainfall, as it happens, is our prime informant when it comes to the lower and middle class of Canterlot citizens...”

He took another breath, staring right into Luna’s frigid eyes. “After her involvement in the ‘Equilibrium’ case and receiving the pardon she became considered a bit of a ‘martyr’ among the lowborn, having been ‘rescued’ from the grasp of bureaucrats. The orchestrated rumour stated that it was her previous work as a social worker among those less fortunate that caused her to have troubles with the government, but the good Princesses freed her from the clutches of envious nobleponies.”

Moonwarden’s explanation was becoming more and more captivating. Luna squinted her eyes, attempting to appear skeptical about his reasoning.

He continued, in the meantime, his tone adamant and confident. “Since the tale helped her reach a nearly revered status with the common folk, she has become the prime source of knowledge about the state of matters amidst them. Thanks to her we can address all of the surfacing problems and quell any malcontent ideas... Besides, for her unknowing cooperation, she is provided with, unofficial and secretive, aid from the Royal Treasury and we have assured that her requests concerning creating an eating house and the restoration of the Canterlot Orphanarium were positively reviewed by the High Council. More so—”

“Stop,” Luna commanded, raising her hoof.

The stallion immediately silenced himself, patiently awaiting further words from her.

She was, if she were to be honest, surprised with the soundness of his clarification, but she was not going to give him the satisfaction of showing it. Her eyes remained cold and unfriendly.

“How come you can always explain your ploys somehow? Make others feel like those are perfectly reasonable, serve Equestria... and any wrongdoings along the way are simply means to a noble end?”

Moonwarden realigned his eyepiece. “I shall allow myself to remind you, Your Majesty, that I have over twenty years of experience working as an Equestrian operative,” he declared. “And my skills in the ‘forbidden school’ of mentalism,” he sarcastically remarked, “made it necessary for me to often provide my previous superiors with valid explanations and performance reports, based on reasoning and expediency.”

Luna huffed. “And you are also well aware that I find justifications based on reasoning, expediency and... ‘no cost being too great’... persuasive, no?”

“You would be correct, Your Majesty,” he admitted, his face baring a shade of a smirk before becoming utterly serious when Luna’s eyes glinted in a warning. “I assure you, my lady, that Summer Rainfall is not in any way affected by my work, as she is not aware of her collaboration. My procedures do not leave any permanent imprints on her mind, aside from a few memory lapses concerning her sporadic evening activities. However, if you find her role as a sleeper agent causing you discomfort, my lady, I shall release her immediately,” the stallion assured, taking a deep bow. “Your will be done.”

Luna pondered for a longer while, leaving the stallion in his bent position. She leaned back in her seat, giving him an evaluating look. “How many social issues have we solved thanks to the information acquired from her?”

“Twelve, Your Majesty. Two since the beginning of the quarter,” Moonwarden loyally responded, straightening up.

“Has her private life suffered because of our supervision?”

“Not in any way, shape or form, I guarantee it. She has a loving husband and a circle of friends, all merrily unaware of her situation.”

“Could she herself have any idea of what is happening to her?”

“Impossible. I am taking all of the routine precautions, Your Majesty. If you are willing to inquest, I shall provide you with—”

“That’s enough, my servant,” Luna interrupted him. “How often are you questioning her?”

“Once a month, usually. Unless there is an urgent matter,” Moonwarden admitted.

They stayed silent for a moment, Luna’s chastising stare clashing with her servant’s calm, although partially concerned gaze. She finally stood up, supporting herself on the desk with her front hooves.

“In that case,” she began, only now allowing herself to relax, although but partially, “I trust you to continue your work in a reasonable fashion.”

Not even a hint of satisfaction appeared on the stallion’s muzzle. “I am, above all, a reasonable stallion, Your Majesty.”

Luna barely contained a smirk. He was, indeed, reasonable enough to know that showing his joy over her, albeit reluctant, acceptance of his logic would incline her to retaliate.

“Elegy mentioned that you have reports for me. Has something occurred?” she inquired, switching the topic.

“Two matters I have to present before you, my lady.”

The stallion held before him the parchments he brought and opened the first of them with his silver aura, presenting the contents to Luna. “I have received confirmation from Hollow Shades about Princess Twilight’s departure from the Nightguard outpost. Previous to that she had been seen in the company of a member of her entourage, the one ‘Midnight Wind’ and, from what my agent could observe, she appeared rather positive and in high spirits.”

“That is beneficial,” Luna agreed, skipping through the parchment. “I see you wish to show me that you are not hiding anything from me this time,” she pointed out, giving Moonwarden an impish look.

He snorted, appearing touched. “Like I would be that insecure...”

“What was that, servant?” she asked grimly at his remark.

“My life for you, my lady,” he exclaimed in a fashion she could have described as “prophylactic”, causing her to giggle.

“You are a rapscallion, are you aware of that?”

“Aware? My lady, I take pride in it,” he responded tranquilly.

“Of course you would... And that other informant of yours, the geologist? Any news from him? Twilight should have reached her destination by now.”

“Nothing so far, my lady. The mountains suffered a rather harsh blizzard, he might have not had a chance to send anything in yet, considering his location,” Moonwarden explained. “I am, however, planning on receiving his report in person.”

Luna cocked an eyebrow. “How come?”

“I have contacted the Bureau of Cartographers. They confirmed that they have not performed any charting in the Eastern Woods, which means that whatever maps are in usage by the lumberyards are not authorized for legitimate utilization according to the labour regulations,” he calmly reported.

The Princess nodded in understanding. “Arbitrary business practices?”

“Quite likely, my lady.”

“If I recall correctly,” Luna mused, “due to the hazardous terrain present in the forests of the region, it is obligatory to use officially demarcated routes, ones showcased by attested topographical depictions.”

“That is, to the letter, what the regulation states, Your Majesty,” Moonwarden affirmed with a gentle smile. “Regardless of the source of this ‘charting’, the lumberyards have not provided any explanation for this situation in the last productivity report.” He pointed at another scroll laying before Luna. “It is considered a formal omission. The pony responsible for receiving those documents did not consider this blunder important enough to act upon it, I suppose being simply glad that their performance is above predictions.” An unforgiving spark appeared in the unicorn’s eyes. “Enough said, he is no longer performing his duties.”

The Princess listened attentively, checking the numbers brought before her. “This is a difference of nearly thirty percent. Whoever has done the charting must have found considerably beneficial tracts through the Woods.”

“Exactly, my lady. But the lack of explanation is disturbing. Hence why, I wish to ask for a permission to conduct the investigation in person.”

Luna blinked. “You wish to head to Hollow Shades on your own?”

Moonwarden tactfully nodded, to which she simply had to inquire with a smirk.

“In hope of achieving what aside from what you are presenting before me?”

“Not much, my lady,” he replied, trying to hide a chuckle. “My recently gained knowledge about my notoriety among the batponies made me utterly intrigued,” he admitted, levitating one more scroll next to himself and opening it. “Aside from the usual Royal Guard station, Hollow Shades possesses a fully functional Nightguard outpost lead by one captain ‘Sunfall Ordain’...” he read from the parchment. He blinked, checking the contents again. “Sunfall ‘Ordain’? Is ‘ordain’ even a noun? I think the translation might be botched...”

Luna rolled her eyes. “Abandon your linguistic purism for a moment and get to your point, Moonwarden.”

“Of course. I wish to see if my reputation has reached them,” he declared plainly, smiling.

“I want to believe there are better reasons for this quest than your narcissism, my servant, but I would not be surprised otherwise...” Luna retorted, beckoning him to follow her outside. He complied, although gasping at her comment.

“Boosting my ego aside—” he began, being forced to pause when the Princess glanced back at him mockingly. “Very well, my lady. Boosting my ego as well, I think meeting with the local garrison, closest to Noctraliya, might allow me to find a way of monitoring Princess Twilight Sparkle’s quest. I suppose that this outpost might be receiving news directly from their homeland. As such, they should at least be a source of rumours about the Princess’ expedition.”

Luna pondered on his idea. It held a certain merit to itself and it would help her in keeping, at least partially, a watchful eye on the situation among her children. Twilight’s mission was unprecedented and its repercussions could, truly, change history. An ounce of superintendence could not hurt.

After she and Moonwarden made it to the terrace, her servant seemed to have spotted a certain book left on Luna’s chaise longue.

“Is that not... ‘In His Embrace’?” he inquired with a tone of a disapproving parent almost. “My lady, you force me to question your taste in literature! This is an absolute squib, unworthy of the paper and ink it took to print it out!”

“I adore reading about law and politics and governing a nation as much as any other pony,” Luna allowed herself the sarcasm, seeing his genuine disdain, “yet I do consent to unwinding from time to time, my servant. Why not with romance novels?”

“Why not with good romance novels?” he riposted, sighing.

Luna tried to hide her mirth. “Oh? You have a recommendation? And here I thought your only experience in romance is being a spider. Spending your free time weaving more and more strings and then devouring unfortunate, poor fillies, hopelessly caught in them. And only for personal satisfaction.”

Her waggish mockery caused the stallion to rub his temple, glancing at the book. “I am starting to worry that exactly this type of wretched hackwork taught you how to attempt formulating clever similes, my lady. Besides,” he added, shrugging, “what is this ‘free time’ you speak of?”

“Let us call this skirmish a deadlock for now,” Luna gladly offered, wishing to return to the topic at hoof. “Do you believe that, even with your reputation as a proselyte, you shall be able to fraternize with my children just enough to acquire a steady flow of information about Twilight Sparkle’s mission?”

“I find it to be worth the shot, Your Majesty, one way or the other,” Moonwarden declared, taking off his monocle to clean it with a handkerchief. “Frankly, had I known about her departure in advance I still would have pursued such course of action, me being a ‘neophyte’ or not.”

“I see the benefit of this plan, indeed,” Luna admitted, staring up towards the stars. “I suppose you have everything prepared already?”

“Nearly, my lady, I just need to finish some local dealings. I shall be leaving Elegy here in my stead, but it should not take me longer than a day or two in Hollow Shades to know exactly what is happening with the timber production and if there is a chance of cooperation with the Nightguard,” he asserted, putting on his monocle back. It reflected the moonlight in its crystal surface.

Luna nodded. “Very well, you have my permission to proceed. Find out all that you can and resolve the situation,” she ordered, turning towards him. “I expect a full report after your return. Make sure that it is swift.”

“As you command, Your Majesty,” Moonwarden replied loyally before his eyes clashed with Luna’s. “How far am I allowed to go during the assignment?”

The Princess saw this spark in his silver gaze that she recognized immediately. “You may use whatever technique you deem necessary, my servant... I warn you, however,” her voice became domineering. “My children are important to me. The consequences of you misusing your powers on them shall be more than dire.”

Moonwarden’s ears flattened in worry, to Luna’s inner satisfaction.

“I want to believe, however,” she added, “that you shall not abuse my trust, even if I let you loose...”

“Never, my lady,” the stallion solemnly declared, bowing down. “I am, as I have said, a reasonable stallion.”

Luna sighed, granting him a small smile. “Still, trusting you would be gullible,” she poked fun at him, but he simply shrugged, returning the grimace.

She once more focused her eyes on the starlight sky. The night looked wondrous, with sequins of silver embellishing the mysterious hue of the firmament. The Moon was royally governing the heavens, magnanimously sharing its splendor with the slumbering earth and bathing it in its regal aura.

The Princess’ grin widened at the wonder that was her night.

Moonwarden kept watching her as he silently slipped away, leaving her admiring her nocturnal realm. He realigned his monocle, warmly smiling as he passed under the cerulean curtain and into the castle. He grabbed all of his parchments from the office.

“How marvelous... I shall become acquainted with a batpony captain,” he whispered.

“Since when are you the social type?”

“Whatever do you mean?” he asked himself back, as his eyes shimmered with alluring silver. “I love meeting new ponies.”

***

Twilight was slowly waking up. The cozy feeling of the woolen blanket was present all around her. She felt almost cocooned in the fuzzy warmth, one letting her know that if she felt like sleeping in some more, she was most welcome. It was, honestly, a very compelling idea, especially considering that she felt like she had not slumbered more peacefully in ages. She sighed content and smiled to herself.

It was soon rewarded with the feeling of a hoof caressing her cheek with incredible gentleness. Strange... that was not a morning routine for her. It was, however, remarkably pleasant.

She slowly attempted to open her eyes, which was met with their sluggish protests. She caught a glimpse of a pair of saffron irises gazing at her lovingly in the murkiness and two sharp fangs not far away from her muzzle, before her eyelids dropped down shut.

“Good ‘morning’, Twilight...” she heard a caring whisper, one with a strangely trilling pronunciation.

“Good...” a yawn interrupted her, “... morning... evening... whatever...” she mumbled, snuggling her pillow. “How are you?” she inquired of the whisper as it was proper. Was it?

It must have been, as she was granted with more of this gentle feeling on her cheek.

“Quite well, thank you. And how are you feeling, after a day in a stallion’s embrace?”

“Well, to be honest—”

Twilight’s eyes darted open as her mind woke up finally. She found herself staring right into Midnight’s eyes, feeling her cheeks redden at finding him so close to her, his hoof slowly stroking her muzzle.

“Hey,” the batpony greeted her, supporting his head on his foreleg and bringing forth one of his smug smiles.

“... oh...” she managed to mumble, realizing that they were, indeed, both in bed, covered by the same blanket and that she very much did fall asleep being gently held by the stallion right before her.

“Has anypony ever told you that you look beautiful sleeping?” Midnight asked softly, chuckling.

“... no,” Twilight mouthed, fighting the warmth of her face.

The batpony’s eyes glinted mischievously. “Alright... has anypony ever told you that you look even more wonderful waking up next to me?”

The mare’s only response was covering herself fully with the blanket, which caused Midnight to burst into laughter.

“Come out.”

“... no,” she squealed.

“Twilight, please, come out...”

“Nope.”

“Okay, I am going in!”

“Midnight Wind!” she screamed at him, both embarrassed and amused by his teasing. Frankly, it reminded her of that dream she recently had...

She peeked from under the blanket to see the stallion desperately attempting not to chuckle.

“... hey,” she whispered.

“Hello again,” Midnight replied, sliding closer to place a kiss on her forehead. “I am glad you slept so peacefully.”

She purred at his gesture. “I have you to thank for it,” she admitted, smiling at him warmly. “Is it late?”

“Not too late, don’t fret. Lawin told me yesternight to join him on the ramparts, he has an inspection scheduled. So we do not have to hurry, he will find himself an occupation no doubt,” the stallion ascertained, shifting closer to Twilight. “We can find ourselves an occupation for a while longer too.”

A shiver went down the mare’s spine at the tone of his voice. She giggled in abashment.

“What... would you have in mind?”

“Not much, really,” he admitted before leaning in for a deep kiss. Lasting long enough for Twilight to lose her breath and suffer a remarkable case of goose bumps.

“Frankly,” she confessed softly after they stopped, “this is actually pretty much...”

Midnight stretched his back and placed both his forelegs underneath his head, smiling smugly. “I am aware that I make it feel amazing,” he admitted vaingloriously. He couldn’t have kept a straight face, though.

Twilight caught herself staring at the firm but lean muscles of his chest, the warmth behind her cheeks not wishing to go away. Even though she never really focused on ponies’ physical appeal, having a stallion of his physique near her was strangely satisfying.

Realizing that a pony like that loved her was blatantly... exciting.

She shook her head. Thankfully, Midnight didn’t seem to take notice of her gaze, instead extending his foreleg and wrapping it around the back of her neck, so he could hold her closer.

Twilight nestled against him more comfortably. She placed her head on his chest, making him exhale happily. She closed her eyes, enjoying his breath making his torso move and trying to listen for the sound of his heart.

Midnight spoke after a moment of this incredible tranquility. “A princess and her personal guardian in bed together. How scandalous!” he declared mockingly.

Twilight huffed. “Must you make it sound so... inappropriate?”

He hummed in admittance.

“Why?” she had to ask, looking up at him.

“Perhaps I enjoy teasing you? You are simply too cute when you are embarrassed.” He took notice of her reddening cheeks. “Crate in point.”

Twilight giggled. “It’s ‘case’. And right back at you,” she added, seeing as he grimaced at his mistake and his muzzle flared up.

“Bleh,” he muttered before smirking and giving her a peck on her cheek.

Twilight sighed content before resting peacefully against him for a moment longer. Something caught her attention though. She squinted her eyes. She could have sworn that the room was darker than she recalled, even with the candles lit on the table.

“Is something wrong?” Midnight asked her.

She lifted herself up a little, to glance at him. His saffron eyes were well visible in the shade, but that was about it. “I cannot see properly. I guess my spell fizzled out as I thought it might.”

“Yes, your eyes are back to ‘boring’,” he admitted, which cost him a mischievous jab to his ribcage. “ ‘Boring’ is not countering ‘beautiful’!” he attempted to convince her, grinning and tightening his embrace apologetically.

“You are not getting out of that remark so easily, Midnight,” Twilight riposted, giggling and wriggling away from him. She turned her back on him, grabbing firmly and taking with herself the entire blanket.

She was almost certain he rolled his eyes as she heard him gasp in condemnation of her actions. “Really?”

“Yup,” she merrily confirmed the outcome he feared. “It’s all meeeep!

Twilight felt a strong tug and, considering she was pretty much wrapped in the woolen cover, ended up rolled around, her forelegs pressed between hers and the batpony’s chest and her muzzle less than an inch from his. Midnight extended his wing and covered her upper body.

“Oh dear...” she whimpered breathlessly, witnessing the stallion’s mischievous yet intensely alluring grin.

The kiss he gave her caused her entire body to shudder. The yearning of it would sweep her off her hooves if it was not for the fact that she was lying down. It still caused her hind legs to jerk, however, as the jolt of pleasure traveled through her body.

“You don’t. Steal. The blanket,” Midnight firmly declared afterwards, having a victorious smile painted on his muzzle.

Twilight finally caught her breath. “Oh... I don’t know... if this is... the penance I get in return...”

Ha, fair enough,” the stallion replied, sitting up. “I am saying this against myself, but we should go. It would be strange to keep Avalanche waiting.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right...” Twilight admitted, rubbing her face. “But, as an ambassador, I wish for us to return to our blanket dispute... at a later date,” she mumbled from behind her hooves.

“Impatient much?”

Twilight stared at him curiously, as he was giving her a weird look.

“Fine, fine,” he tossed his hooves up in surrender, then got out of bed, shaking his head. “I will take you on a ‘date’. Bogine, so demanding!”

Midnight gave her a proper demonstration of his acrobatic skills soon afterwards, forced to dodge a barrage of pillows that headed his way.

After Twilight managed to get herself in proper shape, she restored the spell on her eyes and they made their way through the Inner Courtyard and into one of the wider tunnels of the Border. The fortress seemed rather busy tonight. Hulky transport wagons, their contents almost falling out from underneath the thick sheets, were forcing them to step aside ever so often to grant the warriors pulling them a proper passage.

Twilight did her best to stand the ever-present stares from the passing-by soldiers.

“I hate reorganizations...” Midnight declared as they have reached a passage leading gently upwards, using directions that he got from Avalanche.

“Is this all the effect of strengthening the garrison?” Twilight asked, hearing more noises from behind them as even more heavy carts were constantly making their way into the lower levels of the fortress.

“I suppose so. I think some of those wagons had furniture in them.”

“Necessary logistics,” Twilight stated and giggled. “Shining hated that part of his officer training. He said that all of the quartermaster work... the charts, the papers, the reports... made him feel like a bureaucrat not a soldier,” the mare revealed, causing Midnight to snicker.

“I understand him...” he admitted. “The amount of paperwork I have been subjected to already... And I suppose even more of it awaits me after I get that outpost in Ponyville under my command.”

“At least the neighbors will be nice,” Twilight assured him, giving him a quick, enticing stare.

“Point well, well made,” he agreed immediately. “Although... I feel more keen on being near those Sweet Apple Acres though.”

“Haven’t you dodged enough pillows tonight?” Twilight retorted in a whisper as they closed in on the end of the tunnel.

She suddenly felt a cold breeze making its way down the corridor. It was fresh. Rejuvenating. Even had a peculiar smell to it.

The tunnel turned out to lead straight outside, as the gust was caused by a pair of warriors, armed with arbalezi, passing through a set of reinforced, wooden doors. The soldiers allowed Twilight and Midnight passage and when the two made it outside, the mare’s jaw dropped at what she witnessed.

What caught her eyes immediately was the nocturnal sky she could now survey with her new sight. Absolutely breathtaking. It was like an ocean of dark blue hue, in which countless stars were twinkling akin to precious stones or seashells. The Moon ruled over the firmament, its silver splendor making the mare think of... magnanimity? She had never before felt anything like this. And now, with her spell allowing her to experience nighttime anew, she was smitten by the majesty of it.

Twilight was looking all around her now, her astonishment only growing. On her left she saw her homeland, lush forests covering the foothills, their green as vibrant as in daylight. More so, she could also spot the distant hamlets and farms marking the land like firebugs. The very edge of the horizon was tinted in red, the last effort of the Sun to impose its will on the sky, overtaken by the regal blue. The way batponies experienced the sky was singular.

And on the mare’s right... on her right opened a new, strange land, one of rock and snow.

She had never believed mountains to look quite so imposing. When she looked upon them in Hollow Shades they fascinated her with their wild appearance. But from up close, they were simply magnificent in their daunting look. Twilight was met with a tide of sheer stone, with ever-present granite waves, their peaks marked by the foam of snow. She approached the edge of the rampart. Between the slopes that were screening the Border she saw a thin valley, marked by a pine forest looking small and frightened, wedged between the earthly walls.

“Wow...” Twilight heard her own astonishment over the glory of the Tramplevanian Alps.

“Welcome to my home,” Midnight greeted her, baring his teeth and breathing in the chilly air.

“Intimidating,” she replied, as she scouted the close and distant mountain peaks, their statures almost competing for attention. “What height are we on?”

“Proper, Knaze!” Twilight heard a hoarse reply. Avalanche was making his way to them, smiling in joy, wearing exactly the same leather apron as yesternight, yet with some more stains. His hair also looked even more messed up. “Good to see tuyi both!”

Midnight nodded. “Greetings, priyat. I see you got rid of the snow already,” he pointed out, looking at the stone tiles of the overlook.

“Weather bid weather, but work bid work!” the siegemaster declared, making his words sound like a corny catchphrase. “Besides, when ia have such a guest,” he added, pointing at Twilight and bowing his head, “ia need to make an impression!”

She gave him a warm grin. “I appreciate that greatly.”

The officer grinned before coming slightly closer and whispering to Midnight. “Package secured,” he spoke, trying not to chuckle.

The other stallion rolled his eyes, but nodded. “And good riddance. Thank you, friend.”

Midnight’s short glance towards Twilight was more than intelligible for her.

“No problem, ia love surprises,” Avalanche admitted before raising his voice again. “Now, time for some more sightseeing!”

He stepped to the side, making Twilight finally focus on the elevation they have been standing on.

The ramparts of the fortress had the form of a long, quite wide wall, partially built utilizing the flat mountain range, and partially made out of solid, granite stones. Twilight could see the entirety of the overlook, marked on its other end by a rectangular tower twinned with the one they seemed to have entered through. The defense line presented itself accordingly, with groups of soldiers standing guard at certain points and quite imposing machinery set up along this bulwark, pointed towards the west.

Avalanche beckoned her and Midnight to follow. “Ambyit bid uaiu most prominent bastion in the region. This mountain passage here is called Wroteistme.” He pointed left and right the moment a gale of wind passed through the overlook.

“It is translated to ‘Gatepass’, Twilight,” Midnight turned to her, standing closer to screen her from the chilling wind.

Avalanche continued in the meantime. “To bid actually the safest way to enter uaiyi lands from this side, least affected by calume. As such, since this route is important strategically, uai bidi prepared to fend off any attack!” he declared, pointing at the collection of machines and batponies manning them. “Nothing can break through here!” he added proudly.

“Is it because of the presence of all of the Families?” Twilight inquired.

Nye! It’s because it has ia around!”

Midnight facehoofed, but Twilight only giggled, playing along. “Your role as the quartermaster is crucial, I concur,” she complimented him.

Ha! Indeed!” Avalanche beamed. “But ia bid not enough to protect uaiu homeland! It needs more than good, old Lawin! Thankfully, ia also have started a family and ia take care of iai dzieti! And ipie make me a proud father!” He pointed at one of the devices they were passing by, causing it’s two-pony crew to stand in attention.

Twilight gave the weapon a closer look. It reminded her of an enlarged arbaleze, with a reinforced frame, sitting on a sturdy support. Near it stood a rack full of solid, metal bolts the length of a pony’s body.

“This,” Avalanche placed his hoof on the machine, “is arballiste. Ipe works exactly like ipea little sostre, but, trust me, ipe wins minds and hearts. And any other vital parts ipei belti go through!”

The crew of the weapon chuckled alongside their officer, even if Twilight felt extremely uncomfortable with what she had just heard, a shiver going down her spine. Midnight, on the other hoof, looked positively fascinated.

“They do look well maintained. I see that you got the bow reinforced further, Lawin,” he said, coming a bit closer and examining the metal. “Ha, some fancy casting done here! Shades’ idea?”

Nye, my own. It helped uai get even more range, uai can apply much more tension without any risks of malfunction,” he declared then glanced at Twilight, who remained where she was, staring at the massive projectiles. “Ia saw tue shudder, Knaze. Is the wind too much for you?”

The mare shook her head, trying to clear her mind of the mental image that invaded it. “No! No, not that much! These are mountains, after all.”

“Not just any mountains!” Avalanche replied immediately. “Our mountains!”

The arballiste’s crew and Midnight all shouted in agreement, with Lawin rearing in his joy. Then, he pointed at something else, further down the defense line.

“But, to bid inappropriate to talk too much about young daughters when their mother is around! And ia absolutely must show tue the mother of uaiyi little arsenal, Knaze! Uai must pay our respects to her!”

Twilight turned her head towards a much, much bigger machine placed about half-way down the ramparts. It differed from its smaller counterparts in that it had not one, but two bows on it, placed vertically, rather than horizontally.

The mare could swear that Midnight’s eyes glistened when he looked upon this siege monstrosity. He leaned towards Twilight.

“I always knew he would find himself a suitable wife,” he whispered.

Twilight let out a nervous chuckle, gawking at the magnitude of such weapon. She could feel her concern mounting. She knew too well who it could be used against. And she did not believe Equestria possessed anything even remotely resembling this... thing.

“What is it, exactly?” she asked, following Avalanche, who was almost skipping forward in satisfaction and pride.

Iau ‘little’ project. Ia... do not have a name for ipe yet,” he admitted, somewhat saddened. “It needs to be something memorable, something... catchy, but gentle... Just like ipe!” He looked towards his creation and sighed, almost like a lover longing for his chosen mare. He messed up his tousled mane even more, rubbing his scalp in extensive thought.

“Whatever you would name it,” Twilight wished to assure him, “it is destined to be imposing one way or the other. Trust me.”

Ha!” he hollered, agreeing. Then she saw him blinking a couple of times. “Ha... ha?” he echoed, as if an idea came to him suddenly.

They arrived at the basis of the machine, Twilight taking note that, unlike arballistes, it possessed two pair of supports for its projectiles, each duo covered by one set of string the girth of a pony’s leg. However, she could spot that those double bases were not in any way parallel with each other, nor were they even placed symmetrically towards the bows. Considering Avalanche’s pride in his work, it could not have been an omission, so she deduced it could have meant that whatever ammunition this used was supposed to gently spread up and down. Speaking of which, the mare did not see any bolts for this colossal weapon, only a container resembling an oversized chest.

Honestly, this entire setting appeared almost like hit by an Enlargement Spell.

The crew of Avalanche’s “mother of weapons” consisted of eight batponies, who lined up in perfect attention at the sight of the approaching officer. One of the stallions stepped forward, causing Twilight’s eyes to widen and Midnight to stand a bit closer to her. His pale blue mane shifted as he straightened himself up, his cape gently swooshing in the wind.

Osadadomin Lawin, sudar!” Sunfall Comet greeted Avalanche properly.

Spotnai, wampiri. Knaze, Maednoc Wentr this is my assistant, swadran Soleceed Halley.”

Knaze. Nocferratan,” the introduced pony greeted them both and the difference between the tone of the two words was more than apparent.

“We have met before,” Twilight revealed, taking note of the stallion’s cold tone and unpleasant stare, the one she had already experienced previously.

“Indeed. Well met,” Midnight confirmed, not even trying to be friendly.

Avalanche appeared overjoyed, being utterly oblivious to the mood. “Oh, that’s benu! Ip bid my right hoof when it comes to maintaining the state of weapons i crews! Do not let ipu sour face discourage tue,” he advised, which found its testimony in the stallion’s golden eyes becoming even colder. “Tu can carry on, swadran.”

Sudar, tac, sudar!

The officer turned immediately and barked a few orders to his subordinates, then returned to oiling the machine’s massive and complex winches. Twilight took notice of Midnight granting him an intense glare. As Avalanche lost himself in looking almost with veneration at the machine before him, the mare whispered to her, well, her coltfriend. She barely stopped a blush of happiness at realizing that.

“Should we still be vigilant...?”

“Definitely. Although,” the stallion replied, rolling his eyes, “he might just be a prejudiced jerk.”

Twilight avoided a giggle miraculously. In the meantime, Avalanche finally unglued his eyes from the machine.

Iau pride and joy!” he hollered. “As you can see, Knaze, it is not really of the standard build and it is for a good reason, I assure!”

“It looks like it could fire multiple projectiles at once, from the way it is made. Is that its purpose?”

The siegemaster shook his head. “Not quite, but well spotted nonetheless!” he declared, clapping his hooves. “Ipe actually fires edn projectile and this entire frame is to allow it to do so.”

Even Midnight appeared skeptic about this claim. “One bolt? How exactly would that work with such a design?”

“Cause what ipe fires nye bid belt, friend! Open tuu mind for new possibilities!” The siegemaster flapped his wings in excitement. “Wampiri, traducai satke!

Four of the crewponies saluted and opened the massive chest next to the machine. They extracted something from it that looked like a gigantic, double spool. Twilight could not really tell what it was, only that it appeared like a... thorny rope weaved around thick logs.

“Taking out edn or more targets on the ground or in the sky with a good shot bid edn thing.” Avalanche kneeled by the projectile. “Ale sometimes ipai might need to be swatted off our sky like flies!” he declared, grinning childishly, grabbing one of the rolls and letting it freely and slowly trundle.

Twilight backed away, stunned by what she saw. Between the two, as it appeared, solid wooden trunks sprang an enormous net. The way it was weaved filled her with both amazement and horror. Mostly horror though. Every knot possessed a set of metal spikes, their sharpness proved by moonlight dancing on their very tips.

Midnight came forward and examined this mesh attentively. “Bogine, centimetri yi osim spikes? This can easily reach any vital organs,” he judged, glancing at Avalanche, who looked as proud as an inventor could. “You gave this some thought...”

“All of it!” the siegemaster replied, then looked at Twilight. “Impressive, nye?”

“V-very,” she muttered, her eyes stuck on the crudeness of this design. One that carried with itself a definite... killing potential.

Avalanche continued, pointing at different parts of his prized weapon. “To bid why uai need those four supports. Uai lay one log higher, the other lower. As ipai bidi thrown slightly apart, the satke spreads out, then falls downwards, catching even piatidesat enemies at once!” He glanced at Twilight, his eyes glinting playfully. “Tac, fifteen! Ia znat, it sounds astonishing!” he added, seeing her expression. “And if the spikes or the logs will not get ipia, the fall shall!”

He let out a long, taunting shout, rising his hoof high up.

The mare was just taking in a breath to answer him, wishing, despite everything, to let him know that her awe was not at the effectiveness of his idea, but rather at the cruel and disturbing aspect of it. Yet a sudden commotion and sound of rustling armor made her and the batponies turn around.

Adamant Fang was storming through the ramparts, receiving fearful salutes left and right. His look was almost feral, focused on Twilight and her group, his long cape swooshing in the gale that, appropriately and ominously, swept through the overlook.

The general swiftly approached, giving the mare a customary bow of his head.

“Princess.”

His voice was hiding a tide of displeasure, even with his attempts to hide it in front of her.

Twilight curtsied politely. “Greetings, General. Is something the matter?” she inquired, catching a glimpse of worry in Midnight’s eyes as he joined her and gave Adamant Fang his salute.

“Pardon me, Princess, but it is urgent,” the General stressed. “I was notified that Nightguardian Deep Mist left the fortress without any previous notice, assaulting one of my subordinates who tried to make him explain his actions.” Adamant Fang’s eyes, filled with a dangerous shine, rested on Midnight. ”I will have words with you about it, Nightguardian. Now.”

PreviousChapters Next