• Published 22nd Jul 2014
  • 1,130 Views, 19 Comments

Confluence - Endless Madness



Magic: The Gathering meets My Little Pony. Utter chaos ensues.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,130

Prologue: A World of Magic

Since the founding of Equestria, it's been known that there have existed five basic forms of mana that make up the entire energy of the universe and beyond. These are as follows: White mana, blue mana, black mana, red mana and green mana.

White mana is focused on maintaining order and the good of the many. Wizards who use white mana typically summon smaller, efficient creatures that can keep an opponent locked down, or controlled. White spellcasters have many spells that keep themselves healthy and their servants alive. However, if a white mage is provoked, they may unleash a torrent of spells that will annihilate everything on the battlefield, be it friend or foe. White is a strong supporter of morality and justice, and dislikes red mana and black mana because of this.

Blue mana is similar to white mana in some ways. It also emphasizes control and order, but it does not care one way or the other about morality. Blue mages seek knowledge and wisdom. Users of blue mana typically summon anything from the smallest seafolk to the largest ocean-dwelling serpents. They prefer to deal with their enemies through non-lethal methods, such as incapacitating them with enchantments or unsummoning spells. Blue wizards delay until they can slowly wear their enemy out. Blue mages dislike red and green magic due to their spontaneity and impulse.

Black mana cares about one thing, and that is power at any cost. They seek an advantage for themselves, even if it means sacrificing their followers or destroying themselves in the process. Because of the price the black mages pay, they have access to many of the spells that other colors do. Black mages typically summon the dead to do their bidding, but can also call upon demons or vampiric . It is important to note, however, that black mages are not necessarily evil, just as white mages aren't necessarily good. It all depends on how they are used. Black mana hates white mana and green mana because they emphasize life and growth.

Red mana focuses on the present. It does not plan for the future, but uses its immediate resources to work hard and work fast. In a duel against a red mage, the fight can be over in a matter of seconds if one is not prepared. Red wizards can summon dragons or fierce warriors to overwhelm their opponent. They also have a mastery over destruction magic, allowing them to burn lesser creatures to cinders with a flick of their hooves. They are passionate about everything they do. Red mages don't get along with white mages or blue mages due to their overthinking of situations.

Finally, there is green mana. Those who are acquainted with green spells can summon large beasts to assist them. With a few powerful creatures at their disposal, they can turn the tide of battle simply by battling their opponent with sheer muscle. Whether on the offensive or the defensive, green mages have powerful allies to protect them. Green dislikes black and blue, as they are deceptive and misleading.

Nearly every being is aligned with a color of mana in the Multiverse. Some beings have a spark in them that, when ignited, allows them to cast spells beyond the level of any normal creature. These beings are referred to as planeswalkers. As of this writing, the only known planeswalkers in Equestria are the Princesses Celestia and Luna, who became alicorns when their spark was activated. It may be that either only planeswalkers are alicorns, or only alicorns are planeswalkers. However, there are bound to be more as time goes on. Planeswalkers have the amazing ability to shift between different universes, exploring a near-infinite web of planets and worlds.

Equestria has not had as many visiting planeswalkers as other planes have. Whether this is because of the current reign of order and peace is unknown. Some speculate that this plane may be hidden from other planeswalkers either by mistake or by the Princesses' will. This writer believes that it may be an attempt by the alicorns to maintain order. However, a planeswalker may someday come to visit Equestria. Perhaps on that day, ponykind will learn more about the Multiverse and those that inhabit it.

Twilight Sparkle set the book down, tapping a hoof to her chin in thought. "Wow, Star Swirl sure knew a thing or two about magic. I'm surprised he never ended up a planeswalker like myself."

Spike, who had been sleeping in a nearby chair while the alicorn read aloud, woke up with a start. "Huh? What? Are you doing another late-night reading session again, Twi?"

The lavender alicorn closed the book and levitated it back to its place on the library shelf. "Just finishing up, Spike. Go on back to bed." With that, she clambered up to the second floor and lay down in her bed. Since she had just recently ascended, she needed to learn more about her kind. Unfortunately, there was little information in Equestria. Star Swirl was one of the few wizards who had written of them, and he had long-since passed away. Maybe she would ask Celestia tomorrow about the lack of planeswalkers, she thought as sleep slowly took her.

Author's Note:

Arcane Research (U)
Sorcery
Shuffle your library. Draw two cards, then discard two cards unless you control an artifact.