• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 11,598 Views, 766 Comments

PonyFall: Onward Valiant Crusaders - Fullmetal Pony



A man finds 3 familiar girls one day

  • ...
31
 766
 11,598

Night's Voice

My head darted out of the tent just as blinding light surged over the campground and assaulted my eyes. What had been gaping darkness before was now burning white. I raised my arms up too late as shields, my vision crippled with bursts of color. Someone pressed into my side and nudged me back into the tent.

“Stay with the girls!” Fluttershy’s voice urged.

Flailing my arms, I attempted to reached out and grab her, but met only air. I took a blind step forward and met the edge of the tent. The cool air hit my face as I struggled to make out Fluttershy’s form among the blur of trees, earth, and rocks.

“Do—” I yelled before a sharp hiss from near the tent cut me off. Waving its head back and forth was a massive snake. Even with my eyes still getting back to normal, it was easy to make out the parts of the creature that rose above the ground. Scales scintillated in the moonlight and I caught a glimpse of its fangs.

“S*%t!” Tumbling back into the center of the tent, I grabbed at the nearest piece of luggage I could find: a small suitcase. Not the best weapon, but anything was good in this situation.

However, rather than advancing closer to the tent, the snake kept its distance, thankfully cut off by the ring of rocks Doug had constructed around the site. My eyes stayed locked on its shadow and I dared not move a muscle.

“Huh?” came a mutter to my right. Apple Bloom’s red hair appeared from out of the Crusaders’ sleeping room, followed by the rest of her. Shuffling around, she rubbed her eyes and looked around, sleep still heavy on her face. “I heard a scream.”

“Just a bad dream,” Fluttershy lied. She poked her upper body back inside the tent with her lips in a neutral line and her eyes distant but calm. “You probably just heard Doug trip outside. I’m gonna go check on him and be right back, okay?”

Fluttershy retreated back outside, leaving us to the sound of bare feet crunching against dead foliage. Both Apple Bloom and I stared at the loose tent flap and listened until we could only hear the nightlife of the forest. My heart pounded away at my chest, slightly shaking my now-sweat stained shirt, but it slowly turned from a maddening pulse to a rhythmic beat.

“Uh, John? Why are ya holding a suitcase?” asked Apple Bloom.

Sensation of the rough plastic returned to my damp hands. I shifted around, the case feeling much heavier to put back than it was to pick up. Padding over to the the tent’s entrance, I hastily zipped it up and scooted away from it. The snake was bad enough, but who knew what else lied outside. Something that could make Doug scream. Goosebumps prickled up my arms at the thought.

“John? You’re shaking.” Apple Bloom left her side of the tent and took a seat with her back to some other piece of luggage.

“Just not used to Australian nights.” Going along with the act, I crossed my arms and gave them a rub. “It’s a bit chilly for me.”

“I’ll say!” Pinkie exclaimed. She popped out of her sleeping area and scrambled up next to us. “I mean it’s so cold, and dark, and…”

Her voice trailed off and her head turned down to the zigzag patterns on her pajamas. The next words came out of her mouth like a tiny wounded yelp. “That sounded like a pretty bad fall.”

“I’m just glad it didn’t wake me up,” Scootaloo grumbled. She slinked into the central part of the tent and joined our growing group. She sleep dotted her face with dark bags like Apple Bloom’s, but the red in her eyes was more pronounced.

Sweetie followed after Scootaloo, with the former clenching the latter’s shoulder. Her eyes were wide open and actively danced around the room, showing off the tiny vessels running through them. Her lips were pulled into a thin, shaky line that trembled every inch she crawled over to us.

“Sweetie, stuff like this happens all the time during camping.” Scootaloo placed a hand over Sweetie’s and helped lower her down to the ground. In an instant, Sweetie released Scootaloo and gravitated close to Pinkie.

We all rearranged ourselves into a rough circle with a gap near the tent’s exit. The movement appeared to take a lot out of Scootaloo, since her head constantly drooped while we shifted around.

“You don’t have to stay up,” I said.

“It… it’s fine,” she mumbled. Her arms crossed over her orange t-shirt, running over fresh goosebumps across her exposed skin. “I don’t like sleeping here.”

“It is a bit rough,” I sighed. Complaining about camping may not have been the most ideal topic, but it was better than thinking about what had transpired outside. Whatever was out there, I didn’t want to know unless it showed up as a carcass over Doug’s shoulder. “I remember how my family tried camping once. We got a big tent, a ton of good supplies, and drove up north. Ya can’t buy common sense though. Heh, we were so fed up by ten that we gave up and stayed at a nearby hotel.”

A weak smile came to Apple Bloom’s face. She glanced over to her friends. “Sounds like the first time we slept in the clubhouse. Sweetie must’ve bought a chicken coop’s worth of pillows, and Scootaloo, ya didn’t even bring a sleeping bag.”

“I thought we’d have clouds, and those are everywhere!” Scootaloo replied, ignorant of the small tinge of red on her face. Her eyes glazed over and her attention went away from the group. “That’s not why I can’t sleep this time though. It’s that girl again.”

“Girl?” asked Pinkie.

“Ever since we got here, there’s been this girl sometimes in my dreams,” Scootaloo explained. Her arms pulled tightly against her sides. “I think she’s lost, but I can never tell because she’s always too far away to catch. It’s because these legs are too slow.”

The last sentence replayed in my head, making me blink. My eyes flared wide open upon the full impact of the words reaching me. “You’re human in dreams too?”

“Sometimes in other dreams, but always in the ones with the girl.” Tensing up her frame, Scootaloo shivered. “It’s worse here though. Every time I nap or close my eyes, it’s cold and… big. I don’t get it, but it feels like I’m a bug or something. The girl’s even worse, she’s, like, tiny and huge at the same time.”

“Maybe it’s another pony that got sent here,” Pinkie suggested. Her lips twitched, caught in a flux between a smile and a frown. She bent her back, narrowing the distance between her and Scootaloo. “Do you remember anything else about her?”

Scootaloo reached up and scratched her head. Her eyes shut, and it looked like she’d nodded off to sleep, but they suddenly opened again. “Blue hair… really dark and wavy. I thought she was bald the first time I saw her because it was so dark.”

Pinkie placed a pipe in her mouth and blew a few bubbles out of it. A soapy sphere burst on my arm for me, making me question just where Pinkie had produced such an odd curio. She watched the last of the bubbles pop and narrowed her eyes. “Hmm, so it’s somepony with blue hair. The answer is obvious!”

“It is?” we all asked with varying levels of surprise heightening our voices.

“Of course!” Pinkie blew into the pipe again, filling the room with bubbles. “Cerulean Orchid!”

Everyone’s face scrunched up. Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow, Scootaloo flapped her head back in forth to stave of sleep, and Sweetie stared blankly at Pinkie.

“Who?” Sweetie asked, beating the rest of us to the question the tip of our tongues.

“Roseluck’s niece.” Pinkie tilted her head so that her mane spun to the ground. “Duh!”

A cacophony of cackles erupted from beyond the tent. Scootaloo bolted upright and scootched closer to Apple Bloom. Sweetie clamped her arms around Pinkie and hugged her tightly.

“Hey, nothing wrong with a good laugh… uh, heh, right?” Pinkie’s speech faltered with each word while piercing laughter seemed to grow louder and louder. She turned her attention down and brought her hand over Sweetie’s back, slightly calming the young filly’s shaking. “It… it’s just some kookaburras. Fluttershy said they like to laugh and to make ponies laugh, too… I mean, they’re not laughing at us or anything.”

Pinkie’s eye twitched a bit. The kookaburras’ calls sent more goosebumps up my arms, but a bird call was just a bird call. “It’s just the way the talk to each other. Heh, certainly beats a coyote call.”

“I’ll say,” said Apple Bloom, her demeanor unperturbed by the sounds from outside the tent. She glanced over to Sweetie and Scootaloo, both of whom were still shaking slightly. “Coyotes are pretty bad out in Appleloosa, but they’re nothing compared to a timber wolf howl. I remember the first time I heard it, Applejack had to stay with me all ni—” A blush crept across her face and she shifted her eyes to the ground. “I mean, she told me no timberwolves would be coming near as long we made a nice racket… didn’t really help me get back to sleep for the next few nights.”

“Most animals will stay away if you make a loud enough noise.” The opportunity in front of me was good, so I took it. “That holds true anywhere.”

“Like the dust parasprite things from that movie,” Sweetie whispered with a weak smile. However, the rest of her body was still shaking like a leaf.

“Sweetie, I don’t make the best blanket, but I can get you one.” Pinkie’s arm stretched into the space the contained her sleeping area and pulled out the edge of a large fluffy blanket.

Sweetie lightly twisted her head back and forth. “No. It’s nothing. I… I just kinda need to use the bathroom.”

Between the goosebumps, the shivers, and now the drainage of color from my face, it was getting hard to tell whether I was in Australia or Alaska anymore. John, it’s just the woods. You are a grown man and you must act like it for them.

Swallowing down every instinct to stay in the safety of the tent, I grunted and pushed myself up. My good hand slowly extended out into Sweetie’s direction. “C’mon. It’s only a few feet over to bushes.”

“B-but…” Sweetie stuttered. “W-what if somethings out there? That t-thing that made D-doug scream.”

I furrowed my brow and shifted over to the nearby luggage pile. My hand and cast scraped through the suitcases until they came upon the two things I wanted: an long umbrella and a frying pan. Awkwardly balancing the pan in the crook of my right elbow, I brought the umbrella down on it with a great resounding clang.

The noise reverberated through the tent, attracting everyone’s attention. Even Scootaloo’s eyes filled with alertness for a brief moment. Silence fell upon us: no kookaburras hollering, no bushes rustling, and nothing prowling through the nearby forest. In that brief moment of serenity, I quickly clasped the pan’s handle and slashed it through the air. “Whatever it is, it probably didn’t like that, and, if the noise wasn’t enough, it probably won’t like a faceful of solid metal either.”

“C’mon, lets go,” I said while extending my cast out to Sweetie. She stared at it for a moment and let her eyes drift over to my weapons of choice. She deeply inhaled, bowed her head and tenderly clasped the plaster around my arm. This way, at least, she wouldn’t feel how fast my pulse was going.

With every muscle of my face tensed up like stone, I marched over to the tent’s exit. My full hand reached out to fumble with the zipper that separated the safety of the tent from the danger outside, but couldn’t get a grasp on it with both the pan and umbrella between my fingers. I was about to put them down, when Sweetie’s shaky arms went out and pulled the zipper down in one jittery tug. She grabbed my cast as soon as she was finished.

Not looking back, I pushed ahead. For a moment, I thought my fears had gotten the best of me, for the campsite outside was cold, silent, and untouched. The firepit still contained the blackened remains of logs, Doug’s rock formation was still in place, and the moon hadn’t decided to turn into the sun or some other foul trick only Discord could have played.

Just as a sense of relief began to form in the depths of my stomach, something moved across the ground, its form vaguely defined by the moonlight. Whether it was reptile, insect, or mammal, I didn’t know. It was far bigger than the scorpions I was used to dealing with though.

My mind didn’t linger on the creature for long since something else skittered across the ground, then another, and another. The volume of the situation dawned on me when I realized a good part of the earth in front of me alive with movement. Eyes of various shades gazed at me from the forest beyond the campsite. Above, birds twisted and curved branches with the weight of their bodies, many of them veiled in the trees’ shadows.

“I… I c-can hold it,” Sweetie quivered. She took a step back and tugged at my bound arm in an attempt to get me to follow her, but I gently resisted.

“They’re just animals. They won’t disturb us if we don’t disturb them,” I repeated from lord knows how many safety videos. The words didn’t reach Sweetie and she continued to pull at me, not daring to advance just a few feet over to the right. From our position, I could even see the bushes we’d marked as our latrine. Eyes stared back at us from that direction too, but not as many as directly in front of us.

“T-they’re everywhere,” Sweetie whimpered. Her legs wobbled back in forth despite her still trying to get me to go back, but I wasn’t having it, even if my heart, brain, and instincts were all screaming at me to go back inside as well.

“Then close your eyes. I won’t let anything hurt you,” I promised. Sweetie sniffled and shut her eyes, her whole body shivering for a multitude of reasons. Raising the pan and umbrella to my mouth, I chomped down on the pan’s handle. I narrowed my sight down to the umbrella, knowing that it wouldn’t dispel the things that surrounded us, but I hoped what I did next would. The umbrella banged against the pot, producing another great clang and sending the vibration through my teeth.

At the same time, I pulled Sweetie forward. Her legs didn’t move fast enough and she tripped for the first few steps, my cast her only support. My steps slowed to match hers a little more closely, but still contained enough force to keep her on the path to the latrine.

My auditory assault with the pan continued even out my jaw turned sore and my teeth began to ache. A few things slithered in front of us, but the long thin shape of a snake didn’t appear and the other things were dispelled by the bangs and stomps of my bizarre dance.

Finally, we made it to the bushes. Atop them, I saw spiderwebs basking the moonlight. With two swats of the umbrella, I dispersed the ones you couldn’t avoid touching while you squeezed through the plants to the “private” area beyond them. With the path clear, I removed the pan from mouth and gave my arm a shake. “Sweetie, we’re here.”

~~~

Apple Bloom

I’m not gonna cry, I’m not gonna cry, I repeated over and over to myself. The hollow ring that filled the air every few second was like a relative that visited every year. Everypony loved when it came, we’d set out special cookware, dress up for the occasion, and have a real fun time. Last year I’d even hoped maybe, just maybe, that yearly visitor would also give me a cutie mark.

It was all wrong this time though. The sound was still scaring away the bad creatures, but it wasn’t Applejack, or Granny Smith, or Big Macintosh making the noise. Instead of waking up in my bed even though the sun wasn’t up, I was sitting in a tent in a place I didn’t know with my arm and head covered and bandages.

I should’ve gone outside and helped Sweetie, even if there was a wolf, or a bear, or something even worse. I’d fought Discord, I should’ve been able to scare off anything. John probably would have stopped me though. He’d’ve said it was too dangerous or something like that.

Glancing down at my arm, I realized how heavy my eyes felt. Sleep wasn’t gonna happen until Sweetie and John came back though. They’d be back soon. The same way Applejack said she’d be back soon…

Something grabbed me and pulled me close. I struggled against it for a moment until I realized it was Pinkie. I was so focused on Sweetie and John that everything else had fallen away. She hugged me tighter and covered my face with her pajamas while she patted my back.

“Don’t worry, Apple Bloom. It’s just a bathroom break,” Pinkie’s voice cracked.

“I… I know,” I replied, staying in Pinkie’s arms.

“So it’s nothing to cry over.”

I pulled away from her with my face feeling hot. Reaching up to cool it with my hand, I felt moisture on those odd finger things. I quickly rubbed away anything else that was near my eyes. “I wasn’t crying, I was just...”

“Worried?” Pinkie asked. Looking at her, something seemed a little odd. Her back slumped a little and her face was soft, but in more of a tired way than a nice way.

“Yeah,” I sighed. The beating of the pan echoed around us for a little before I spoke up again. “Hearing John make all that racket reminds me of home and that makes me worry about Applejack, and the rest of my family, you and Fluttershy, Sweetie… just about everypony I can think of.”

“Yeah, being in a new place far away from your fa— friends is hard.” Pinkie placed her hands on my shoulders and lowered her head closer to mine. Her mane still had the same smell to it as always did: sweet like cotton candy. My eyes grew heavier from smelling it while having hands that weren’t really Pinkie’s on me. “You get concerned about the ponies back home and even more scared about the ponies with you.”

“Sounds like ya’ve had to deal with stuff like this before.”

“Mmmhmm,” Pinkie softly hummed. “I admit that the whole I just turned into something else and landed on a completely different world thing hasn’t happened to me before. Well, not that I can remember, anyway. But whenever I have to go somewhere, or have to watch somepony else leave for a while, I get butterflies in my stomach wondering about them. It kinda makes me wonder if Fluttershy gets that feeling on her fl—”

Pinkie cut herself off suddenly and raced forward, flooding my vision with her shirt. Something wet and cold splashed onto my back, making me shiver. I tried to turn and see what landed on me, but it was hard to move with the way Pinkie was positioned.

“Uh, Pinkie? What’s going on?”

Pinkie gave a small nervous chuckle. “Sorry, Apple Bloom. I thought Scootaloo was fine sleeping like she was, but I saw her falling and didn’t want her to land on you. I couldn’t stop her drool though!”

“Aw, gross!” I reached around as best I could and swatted on the damp spot on my clothes and then wiped whatever was left across the floor. Least that explains why Scoots wasn’t saying anything.

“Just sit tight for a little bit while I get Scootaloo on the ground,” said Pinkie.

While I cleaned off the drool, Pinkie’s hands occasionally bumped into me. She eventually retracted her arms and scooted away from me and closer to Scootaloo. Without her in the way, I spun around and was met with Scootaloo dead asleep on the floor like it was the best bed in the world.

“Glad moving sleeping ponies works on older ponies and not just foals,” Pinkie said with a small grin that quickly faded away, but returned just as fast when she looked at me. “Still, an actual bed is a much better place to rest. Apple Bloom, would ya mind helping me get Scootaloo back to her part of tent? I just need you to hold open the flap. Don’t want to bump her into anything.”

“No problem,” I whispered. Although, given how Scootaloo had been acting and that she’d fallen asleep with all the noise, even a rooster might have had trouble getting her up. Thinking about the clanging made me realize that John had slowed down hitting at the pan.

There wasn’t time to worry about it though, since Pinkie had already scooped up Scootaloo and was making her way over to where we’d all been sleeping. She silently scooted across the floor on her knees like they were feet or hooves. I had to get up; moving around with my knees bent in the opposite direction and touching the ground was like getting them tickled and scraped against a rock at the same time.

Rushing over to the flap, I pulled it open and Pinkie quietly slipped in with Scootaloo nestled in her arms. I followed after them and helped open up Scootaloo’s sleeping bag. She shifted around and I thought for a second she was about to wake up, but she only turned her head into her pillow and sunk deeper into sleep.

“You can join her, too,” Pinkie suggested.

“Not until Sweetie’s back,” I replied.

At the sound of a rustle, we turned our heads back to the main area of the tent. I raced out and felt my arm slide and catch along the sleeping area’s flap. It stung a little and pushed sleep away, but seeing if Sweetie was back mattered more.

The sitting space was just as empty as we had left it. I stared dejectedly at the lack of Sweetie and John and sunk down to the floor. Pinkie took a seat next to me and patted my back.

“Guess it was just the wind,” she sighed.

~~~

It was easy to see the bite marks I’d left in the pan’s wooden handle under the moonlight. Hopefully, Doug wouldn’t notice or be too angry about that. Studying the tiny dents between waking the iron helped take my mind off the throbbing feeling in my gums and the metallic taste in my mouth. Definitely having some water once I get back… crap, where did Doug leave that?

Sweetie soon returned from beyond the bushes. Her nose was wet and her eyes puffed up. She gave a small hiccup and darted over to me, clasping my cast.

“Everything okay?” I dared ask.

“I d-don’t like it out here,” she sniffled.

“Then lets not waste time.” I turned around and braved the path again. Eyes still stared back at me from the abyss and bushes rustled here and there, but now that we were close to the end of this ordeal, my strength was waning and sleep was approaching the top of my priorities list once more. The umbrella and pan still met with some dexterous manipulation, but only produced a small chang.

We passed from out under the trees that led to the latrine area and into the main clearing that housed tent. A relieved sigh caught in my throat when I saw something dart in front us us and over to the fire pit. Dozens of creatures, furred, scaled, and feathered encroached around the burnt out logs and the small injured boy cowering the center of them, all the conceit in his black eyes turned to fear.

I was in between him the animals in a second. No thoughts other than “Swing!” went through my mind. The pan and umbrella hacked and slashed through the air, bashing things when they could. Hisses and growls greeted my attack and I felt claws rake at my jeans and shoes, the only things keeping me from getting poisoned or worse.

My side began to ache just as feathers, talons, and beaks started to race up from the ground and go for my upper body. My foot flew out and kicked away something before striking the remains of the fire. I’d hoped for embers, but all I got was the cluttering of charcoal and a bit of ash. It was the best I had. Dropping my “weapons,” I grabbed Angel before sprinting back into the tent.

Adrenaline coursing, I twisted around, feeling the burn in my side grow to a flame, and struck out to close the flap. My hand met with whatever the tent was made of and zigzagged around to find some opening, only to feel that it was completely shut already.

“I… I g-got it,” Sweetie quivered. She was standing and shaking even worse than before with tears freely spilling down her face. “J-john, I’m sorry! I…” Whatever composure remained in her completely collapsed and she fell to the ground, sobbing.

Apple Bloom sprung up from over by Pinkie and took Sweetie into a hug, but the latter’s crying continued. Keeping her hold, Apple Bloom looked over to me. Her face was close to the same color it’d been last night, but now her eyes poked out as well.

“What happened?” she hollered. “Why’s Angel with you? And why are you covered in cuts?”

At Apple Bloom’s words, I realized my arms, neck, and the area around my ankles were aching. A glance down revealed blood dripped off my arms and my jeans and socks were stained red. The cuts weren’t very deep, so I wasn’t too concerned, but it didn’t do much to relieve the worry on everyone else’s faces. My focus was on the small boy huddled on the ground.

Angel was in a similar way, on top of all the punishment he’d received last night. Cuts covered him all along that parts of his body that weren’t clothed. My attention mainly went to his bare feet, since those had been relatively unscathed from last night but were now coated in a mix of blood and dirt.

“Crap, where’s the first ai—” Before I could finish, the familiar red and white cross filled my vision. Tentatively clasping it and pulling the kit down revealed Pinkie holding it close to my face.

“I made sure to remember where it was,” Pinkie said in a tone more befitting of Fluttershy.

“Thanks,” I replied. Wasting no time, I turned to Angel, but he backed away as I opened up the kit. “Pinkie, hold him if you have to. We have enough issues without infections.”

Pinkie’s hand shot out and clasped Angel’s arm. He glared at her with a burning ferocity in his eyes, but that evaporated when I plunged an alcohol filled cotton ball onto his foot. He hissed and tensed up, sending a leg into my thigh and further staining my jeans, but I took the chance to lock my cast around both of his legs, leaving only his right arm free.

“Hold still!” I commanded while I fought to hold his flailing legs and get more alcohol on them. Angel wasn’t having it and brought a fist down onto my left shoulder, making me spill a little alcohol on the floor. My teeth came together, and I continued cleaning up his wounds even while he wailed on shoulder.

“Stop it!” Pinkie cried out to Angel, but he wasn’t having it and landed at hit to my face, knocking off my glasses.

Angel’s fist retreated back to land another strike, but I grabbed it. My heartbeat pounded in my head. Every muscle in me wanted to spring up and strike the little bastard. His black eyes looked back at me and I wanted to fight back against him even more, but I just slammed his still curled up fist into the ground and kept it there.

“Enough!” I roared. “You’re gonna sit here and take it! No more punching! No more kicking! Try anything and I’ll throw you back outside myself!”

Silence fell upon the tent again, far more profound than last time. Deflating, I saw that Pinkie had released Angel’s arm and had backed away from us. Small wet streaks glistened down her cheeks. Whatever Sweetie and Apple Bloom did wasn’t clear to me, but the sound of soft cries didn’t leave much to the imagination.

I was about to apologize when I felt Angel’s hand uncurl underneath my own. Looking back up, I saw that his eyes were shimmering with tears on the verge of spilling over.

“Fffff… fflluu…” he choked out. His body slackened and he slumped forward slightly, unleashing a few tears onto the ground. His left hand weakly pointed over to the first aid kit and then flopped to the floor.

That was all the signal I needed and I grabbed the alcohol once more and went back to work. No one said anything else as I tended to Angel. With the wounds clean, I moved onto applying bandages for the smaller wounds and gauze to the larger one or swaths of minor injuries.

When Angel’s cuts were fully covered, I sunk down even further than him with a sigh. By now, my own injuries had stopped bleeding and had darkened in color. Placing my personal concern aside, I turned to see that Sweetie was still in Apple Bloom’s hold, both of their eyes upon me.

“Sweetie, did anything get you?” I rasped.

Sweetie sniffled and reached over to her sleeve, pulling it up and revealing a single red gash on her arm. “Just he—

A voice cut through the night, far sharper than anything that had attacked us. The deep and husky tone could’ve only been Doug’s but the desperation mixed into it was far worse than his earlier cry. Like the grand climax of some tragic opera, he cried out in one single word. “Luna!”