• Published 3rd Jul 2014
  • 5,580 Views, 99 Comments

Where The Heart Is At (Cancelled) - Shadowcolt



A mysterious vortex sends the mane six and the royal sisters to earth. After being saved by Alex, they will have to find a way back while living in the human world.

  • ...
16
 99
 5,580

Chapter 6. We Are Equestria

Author's Note:

Oh man, you have no idea how much work this chapter took me. I believe I'm slowly getting a hand in English grammar and I surely hope that the future chapters won't take me so long to write. If all goes well, the seventh chapter should be coming around somewhere near the end of December ... but before that happens, how about I just give you chapter 6 instead?

P.S. For those of you who didn't get a chance to read the previous chapter's late author's notes, Shining Armor will maintain his princely title. I apologize for this mistake. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

The wooden cottage by the lake, 27th of December

Unbelievable how life can get complicated sometimes. First, you enjoy the good old peace and quiet. Then you are forced to get used to the new company while being eager to have your old life back. You feel like a billiard ball rolling from side to side without knowing which hole you will fall into. The exact same feeling was haunting me now as I was driving through the forest road.

Each passing minute brought me closer to my house which was now a one big pack of suspicious gazes that would observe my every move.

And why, you ask? Because I eat other animals. Does it make me a bloody killer? Hell no. It’s not like they die by my hands anyway, I’m only paying for a finished product for god’s sake. Just like over six billion people do. I was fed this way since I was little and I can’t imagine living without that delicious taste and those captivating fragrances of the roast meat. But since it’s so normal why do I need to feel so uncomfortable about it?

The reason of this mess was settling in my house; the one which finally began to emerge from behind the trees.

It was about eleven am. As I parked my car in front of the house, my cell phone’s sudden ringtone made me jump a little. Seeing the name of my police friend made me smile.

“Aloha, Gregory,” I said as I received the call.

“Hola Señor Alex. Hey Señor, what’s the big idea coming to my town without paying me a visit at the police station, huh?” George’s amused voice echoed in the headphone. “I believe it was you asking me for keeping an eye out for someone, right?”

Should’ve seen that one coming.

“Well, I see that as usual, you have an eye on everything that’s going on in your town, Gregory. But is my once in a millennium visit really that worthy of noting? Besides, I’m not on parole,” I said while wondering what news was he bringing.

“You know, Alex, in such a small town such as ours where nothing interesting ever happens even a visit of everyone’s favorite hermit is a sensation,” stated Gregory. “And once this hermit buys enough food to feed a whole army, oh man, the human imagination gets wild.”

And so it happens. The nosy community never seems to rest I see.

“Wow, that’s quite a commotion I created. I hope the whole town gets insomnia from all that excitement,” I said while feeling quite annoyed.

“Oh, chill out man,” Gregory laughed. “One of my good friends works in a bakery that you have visited. It just so happens that she had the pleasure to serve you.”

“Your little friend seems to have way too much free time. Perhaps I should talk to her manager?”

My words made Gregory quite amused.

“Heh, don’t go there my friend. It so happens that Sandra and I are … close, and if you get her into any trouble she might get really pissed. She happens to be one of those feisty types you know.” Oh, so that’s why.

“So, this time her name is Sandra, huh?” I asked while smiling wryly. “Another innocent soul on your list?”

“Yeah, innocent,” he said with a gibe. “You'd be surprised what this innocent woman is capable of. Imagine that …”

Ok, I believe that would be way too much information for me.

“Spare me the details, you skirt chaser; I believe you have mentioned something about our case?”

“Oh, yeah, sorry. I asked around some people in the nearest towns. Some of the citizens had seen a red pickup trespassing a few times through their towns, but so far I was unable to determine the physical description of the driver. There is of course a good chance that he will show up again so I’ll keep you posted. Oh man, I can feel the tension like in those American crime films. What about you Alex? Can you feel the taste of the adventure?” Gregory somehow sounded quite excited.

As for me it seemed more like a Polish film covered in an American sauce. Definitely not my thing.

“Dog bucked the adventure ... no, not you Max!” I interrupted the conversation to silence my whining companion who was sitting right beside me. Gregory made a slight smirk on that one. “Let's just get this over with quickly so I can finally forget about the whole thing.”

“No problem; I’m on it.” I noticed that there were some other voices coming from his side. “*Sigh*, looks like they brought me some work to my office. I’ll let you know if I sniff out anything more,” said Gregory.

“Thanks Gregory, over and out,” I retorted.

I finished the call and sunk deeply into the driver's seat. So there’s still a chance to hunt down the thief. I just wonder if we can recover the missing tiara of harmony before the black market absorbs it completely? Then again, maybe our thief is more of a collector and he won’t sell it anywhere. There is also one more problem to worry about. My friend Gregory doesn’t know all the details of this case, but I bet that he’ll start to ask questions sooner or later. I guess keeping the girls secrecy might become difficult in time. And speaking of the little devils, it’s time to enter my cave of miracles.

Unfortunately, my house guests didn’t make it easy for me and, despite all this meat affair, they decided to stay in my house. I guess having the only house around does have its disadvantages sometimes.

When I was leaving my house about three hours ago little Applejack was already in the kitchen, although she probably didn’t know why herself. This time the fridge, if we count out the horrific lower contents, was totally empty. She seemed to be absent minded and barely noticed me walking towards the exit door. I didn’t care to look at the rest of her friends, but I bet they all didn’t get any sleep last night. They probably thought that I, the carnivorous one, will attack them during their sleep and make them a part of my fridge. I bet they all felt relieved this morning when I was closing the door behind me.

As I finally crossed the threshold of my home while carrying as many shopping bags as I possibly could, I noticed that my housemates were still all sleeping on the mattress. Celestia, however, decided to sleep on the salon couch instead while Applejack took a nap on the kitchen counter.

I placed the bags on the kitchen isle, leaned against its edge and watched them all sleeping peacefully. To think that despite all this mess I decided to fulfill my part of the deal and bought some of the stuff they asked me for. Somehow I wanted to laugh, but closed my eyes and tried to direct my thoughts to another track instead.


“Good morning, dear Alex.” A sudden soft and gentle female voice made me surprised.

I opened my eyes and looked deep into the salon. I noticed Celestia who was still lying on the couch with her upraised head while smiling at me. I couldn’t tell for sure, but she didn’t seem to make an impression of someone who hasn’t slept at all last night.

As I met her gaze I simply nodded and started to unpack the bags. Suddenly, I heard the clopping sound of hooves which was getting louder by each second. It seems that Celestia has descended from her couch and was hobbling towards me now. For some reason my heart begun to beat faster and I have no idea why.

Soon after I saw her as she was standing right next to me. I could feel her eyes following my every move. Our eyes met for a moment, but I quickly looked away while trying to focus on placing the products on kitchen’s shelves. All this rising tension was slowly starting to get on my nerve.

As I finally finished unpacking, I went outside to get the rest. When I returned with my hands full again, she was still standing there where I left her while looking at me with a stoic gaze.

“Alex, I ...” she began, but I just left the bags near the kitchen isle and went back to the car.

What is it that she wants to talk about. I believe all the scores are set already. To them, I’m just a predator, something that they probably consider a threat in Equestria. Then again, this isn’t their world anymore, so what’s their problem?

I leaned against a side of my car. As I took a pack of smokes with an old zippo lighter out of my pocket I gave in to my old addiction, which I thought I have given up on a long time ago. I savored the taste of tobacco while gazing at the peaceful lake. For a moment I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and began to hum one of my favorite polish songs.


♪ “Oh, the hate of seventh heaven, where the mercy never comes,
Oh, the hate of seventh heaven, better than to be stoned ones,
Nothing seems to be forgiven, no mere thing, nor a sin,
All the strikes come as fair, when the bad luck strikes you in.”♪
(the polish version sounds way better, but the refrain goes something like this)(here)


I was humming this song for a while until I felt an inner peace once again. I snatched the last large set of bags and finally went back inside.

I was sure that Celestia understood the message by now. Unfortunately, I was wrong. She was standing by the kitchen isle and gazing intently at me with the same stoic expression. Alright, let’s get this over with.

I approached her and tried to be as cold and motionless as possible while returning her gaze. As our brown and magenta eyes met I suddenly felt strange. I … I don’t know how to express it, but she made me feel totally intimidated at this point.

“Alex,” she said suddenly. “May I have a moment of your time?”

I didn’t move even an inch still pretending that I don’t care.

“What is it?” was all I cared to say, although I wasn’t in a mood for a chit-chat.

“I would like to talk about what happened yesterday.” Celestia’s words confirmed my suspicions.

“Yesterday?” I acted stupid while turning my eyes into the ceiling. “Oh, you mean those poor little chopped animals that I’m keeping in my freezer, right?” She nodded. “Don’t you worry, dear Celestia, once I’ll eat up all its contents I won’t make you all share their fate. I give you my word of a monster.” I did the most sinister smile I could afford to, thus making her confused for a moment.

I went pass her and began to unpack the bags without trying to do it silently this time. In the corner of my eye I noticed that Celestia has already recovered from a slight shock that I put her through as she approached me again.

“I don’t believe that you're a monster.” I didn’t react at all to her words and just continued unpacking. “I met a lot of monsters in my life, and I know one thing ... you’re nothing like them.”

Her words made me snicker.

“And how do you know what the word monster means in this world?” I asked in a quiet voice. “Monsters here like to wear a mask of an angel just to stub later in a back and devour their unsuspecting victims.” I looked at her with my narrowed eyes. “How can you know if I'm not one of them, or as your dear sister believes ‘I’m not keeping you here on purpose?’”

“Well, are you?” she asked without a hint of hesitation in her voice. “Would the real monster help us back there in the woods, gave us a shelter, fed us and did everything so we could feel like at home?”

“And what if I’m just pretending?” I continued my strange point of view.

“I don’t think you believe it yourself,” declared Celestia. Although she was right, I somehow didn’t want to admit it.

“I believe in what I want, ok? It's all the same to me whether I'm a monster to you or not,” I retorted angrily while realizing that I’m slowly starting to lose my grip.

“Your reactions and the sound of your voice seem to testify against your words, dear Alex.”

Oh man, is she stubborn or what. Perhaps it’s time to draw out the bigger gun.

“You know, I have never eaten a pony or a horse before, but I heard that they taste delicious. Perhaps I should consider having some tasty pony steakes for lunch.”

“Alex … please,” she asked pleadingly. As I expected, talking about this kind of stuff made her feel uneasy. Despite that I carried on.

“Pony ribs, pony barbecue, pony chops, pony shish kabob, pony hamburgers, pony sausages, pony stew …” somehow I was coming up with a quite decent menu.

“Alex, that’s enough,” Celestia’s words carried now the trace of annoyance … and nausea.

“Or maybe some tasty pony goulash in deep gravy ... hm, yum ... best with buckwheat groats of course. Oh, damn it, I didn’t bring any soured cucumbers.” I then looked at the jar that I just took out of the bag and showed it to her. “How about some olives instead?”

“ENOUGH!!!” Celestia screamed so hard that I almost dropped the jar.

Her scream woke AJ who was sleeping on the kitchen counter close by. She jumped so energetically that she lost her balance and began to fall over the edge.

I managed to slide right under her catching her at the last moment. Of course, doing that made me drop the jar of olives which broke on the floor.

As of now, I was looking at the little dazed Applejack who was lying on her back in my arms.

“Phew, that was close,” I said with relief. “I would suggest the mattress or a couch next time, my dear. Makes the wake ups less painful.” I gave her a weak smile making her blush and helped her stand on her all fours.

“Th-thanks,” she stuttered shyly.

“You’re welcome,” I said as I stood up.

“Monsters don’t have a habit of saving their victims. At least not in our world. But true friends do, dear Alex,” said Celestia while smiling at me.

All the fillies came closer and soon stood by Celestia’s side. Some of them were braking their gazes with me and staring at the floor.

“Alex, I want to apologize for how we treated you yesterday. This one small incident did make us forget all that you’ve done for us. Of course, we will need some time to get used to this … new situation.” She pointed out into the freezer door. “But now that I'm sure that you’re not dangerous we can finally rest assured.”

Well, I must admit that I wasn’t expecting this.

“And what makes you say that?” I asked while raising an eyebrow.

Celestia smiled slightly.

“Although I may not look like it, I have many springs behind me so let’s just say that it's my intuition.” Fair enough. “However, it seems that I’m not the only one who should apologize, right Luna?” Celestia gave her younger sister who was standing right beside her a significant look.

Luna made a deep sigh as she seemed rather unhappy for some reason.

“Well …” Luna said slowly. “… your varied diet did put us all in a big consternation. I’m still shocked, because …”

“Ekhm.” Celestia’s silent grunt gave her sister a sign to get to the point.

“Although, it’s quite possible that while being in shock we probably may have misjudged you in some way. Of course you failed to provide us with enough information about your kind and …”

“EKHM!” This time a louder grunt from Celestia made Luna even more mixed up.

As Luna’s face took a purple color it was hard to tell if it was a matter of shame, or just like a volcano she was about to erupt.

“Of course, every pony in my hooves would act the same way so ...”

This time, instead of a grunt, Celestia smashed her rear right hoof against the floor, making everyone bounce. She gave Luna an even more striking look telling her not to push it.

“We ... I ... I'm sorry, Mister Alex, for my unacceptable behavior, and I ask for your forgiveness.” She closed her eyes and bowed with the rest of the fillies, thus making me completely speechless.

After a long and uneasy silence Luna opened her right eye and by tilting her head slightly as she began to observe me while waiting for my answer.

“Well ... ekhm, it’s true that I wasn’t very sincere with you all by not telling you the whole truth about my species, so it may have been a little hard for you to swallow. However, I can assure you that no ponies, or horses, are the part of my menu ... so, let’s just pretend that it never happened, ok?” My words seem to put them at ease as some of them sighed in relief.

As I made my way to the kitchen isle, I saw the remains of the olive jar. The little ones stood next to me and realized the mess that was lying on the floor.

“Oh, dear me, what a mess?” stated miss Rarity.

“Wait, are those what I think they are ...” Applejack was scratching her head trying to find the right word.

“Yes,” I said. “This is, or rather was, a jar of olives.” Good thing there’s still one in the fridge.

Princess Luna decided to come closer and with her magic she lifted one of the olives from the floor. She observed it carefully, sniffed at it, and then took it in her mouth. As she chewed on it slowly, her eyes suddenly burst open in shock. She licked her lips and reached for another one.

“Ekhm, Princess.” My voice made the next olive stop right in front of her agape mouth while her gaze focusing on me.“Those olives are dirty, so if you like some I have one more jar.”

As Luna noticed Celestia’s amused smile she released her magic making the olive drop back on the floor.

“Was it tasty, dear sister?” asked Celestia while making a slight grin. Her mocking tone made Luna pout as she turned her head away.

“I guess it will do ... dear sister.” Her last two words were uttered with a slight hiss.

I continued unpacking while Celestia and the others were standing around me acting awfully quite.

“Um, Alex darling,” I suddenly heard miss Rarity’s shy voice. As I looked at her I realized that her hair and tail were all messed up. “I … um … have you perhaps bought some …?”

As I saw her pleading gaze I simply smiled realizing what she wanted. The search, however, made me confused as I couldn’t find the bag with bathroom equipment anywhere around.

“Um, yeah, give me one minute, ok? I’ll be right back,” I said while walking outside for the forgotten shopping bags which I left on the back seat of my car.


[Third POV]

The Princesses and the main six remained silent in the kitchen and watched as their host closed the door behind him.

Princess Luna turned her gaze at Celestia.

“Well sister, now that we got that out of our way, what now?” asked Luna. “I suppose telling him that you sneaked into his bedroom last night and read his mind is out of the question, right?”

“*Sigh* I believe so Lulu,” Celestia replied sadly. “I'm afraid he wouldn’t take it very well. But I had to do it. After all, it’s our safety we’re talking about here.”

Princess Luna didn’t seem to have any doubt in her mind.

“You did what’s right, Tia, and you don’t need to explain yourself. Although, I admit I was a little surprised when after hearing my plan you decided to carry it out yourself. By the way, did you find anything else worth mentioning?” Luna asked with curiosity.

Celestia hesitated for a moment. In the mind of this man there was something else, but since it didn’t cause any threat to them she decided to keep it to herself.

“No, we can rest assured with him around so I believe that the mind reading spell won’t be necessary anymore,” said Celestia. As princess Luna yawned lightly she quickly added, “you really should get some sleep, Lulu.”

Luna yawned again and wiped her tired eyes. She kept the night watch till morning and she sure felt like taking a nap right now.

“I’m ok, Tia. However, I believe that we shouldn’t become too familiar with Mister Alex,” stated Luna. “You probably remember what interference in other dimensions can bring?”

“Good point, your majesty,” said Twilight. “We still don’t know how our stay here will reflect both of our worlds. We should focus on going to our world at all cost.”

Everyone, except Celestia, nodded as she became absent minded for a moment. It didn’t seem to get pass her sister’s notice.

“Tia?” asked concerned Luna.

Celestia was quickly snapped out of her thoughts, just as …



[Alex’s POV]

… I walked into the house with the forgotten set of bags. I took out the stuff that Rarity seemed to be most desperate for and handed it over to her.

“Here you go, my dear,” I said.

Miss Rarity grabbed the bag with her magic and ran quickly to the nearest bathroom. In the meantime, I and Applejack took care of the mess that was lying on the floor.

“Sniff, sniff ... hey, what is that smell?” asked little Rainbow while landing on the kitchen isle. She grabbed a big rustling paper bag and poked her little muzzle inside.

Pączki,” I replied. “One of many Polish specialties. They’re filled with jam and covered with icing from the top. I hope you’ll like them, but first we’re gonna have some breakfast.”

Rainbow looked at me with an amused expression.

“Yeah, right.” She grabbed the bag with her mouth and drawl through her teeth. “Let's eat.”

She jumped down and run to the salon with her friends. Princess Luna slowly followed them, while Celestia and Fluttershy remained in the kitchen.

“Hey, what about the breakfast?” They didn’t react to my words which kind of made me mad.

Celestia giggled as she was feeling quite amused by this.

“For someone who dared to call himself a carnivorous monster you were nice enough to buy the pastries for all of us, dear Alex,” she said with a smile.

“I'm still carnivorous, dear Celestia,” I reminded her.

“But we have no reason to worry, right?” she asked firmly, although she already knew the answer.

“I guess not. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same thing for chickens, pigs and cows. But that's their problem.” I made a joke, but judging by her sudden confused reaction it was rather one of those addressed to the wrong audience. “I’m sorry.”

She gave me an understandable stare.

“No need to apologize for who you are, dear Alex. We will try to respect you and your customs, but I need to ask you to give us a little time.” She paused for a moment. “I know that our presence here is not to your liking so we appreciate what you are doing for us.” Her confession made me somewhat shocked. Am I like an open book that’s easy to read?

“Celestia, I ...” I wanted to say something, but somehow I was lost for words.

“You don’t have to say anything. We’ll try not to interfere in your life as much as possible. If all goes well soon we’ll all go our separate ways.” She then levitated some food cans with her magic. “Where should I put this?” I pointed my finger at the three upper cabinets and then started to hide the rest.

As we finally finished unpacking we gazed at the middle of the salon where some of the fillies were still feasting on their pastries.

In the meantime, little Fluttershy was watching Max as he was greedily devouring his karma. She suddenly noticed our stares.

“I …I am willing to have my dessert after the breakfast ... that is if you don’t mind,” she said shyly as she turned her eyes away slightly embarrassed, or should I say one eye, as half of her face was covered with folds of pink hair.

Her words made Celestia smile.

“I think our dessert will serve us as breakfast today, dear Fluttershy,” said Celestia. “Unless there’s something you’d like?”

Fluttershy flew with her small wings and landed on the kitchen isle.

“Um, no, thank you, your majesty, I ...” She looked for a moment at a bowl full of apples that I have just laid out. Slowly, I pushed the bowl towards her.

“Go ahead, help yourself,” I said.

“Ah, no, thank you, it’s alright,” she said in a barely audible voice as she withdrew slightly. I didn’t understand what made her change her way of speaking.

Suddenly, I heard the kettle with boiling water behind me and went to make some tea for the whole crew.

“Fluttershy, you should try those donuts, it’s a heaven.” I heard Applejack’s voice.

When I turned around I saw her near the kitchen isle. Her mouth was all smeared with icing and jam that each time she tried to lick off.

“Of course, Applejack, I'll be right there,” said Fluttershy with a smile.

“By the way, is it me or does Princess Luna dislike sweet stuff?” Applejack’s question made Celestia gaze in surprise.

“What makes you say that, Applejack?” asked Celestia. “I know Luna very well and she simply adores it.”

“Well, she refused," retorted Applejack. "She just asked us not to interfere with her nap.”

I took a peak at princess Luna who was laying on the salons armchair covered with a blanket, trying to fall asleep.

Celestia, however, didn’t seem to be worried by it.


“It's nothing, my dear. Luna is a princess of the night after all, and usually rests during the day. It seems that even in this dimension it’s hard for us to get rid of the certain habits,” said Celestia. Somehow I couldn’t wipe out the idea that it may have something to do with me. Perhaps she felt slightly disappointed that her assumptions towards me proved to be unjustified.

In the meantime, I managed to prepare a set of eight newly bought cups and poured them with freshly brewed lemon tea.

“In that case, maybe a sip of some hot tea before bedtime will make her feel better,” I said while putting a tray on the kitchen isle right next to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy made another step back while avoiding my stare.

“Are you all right?” I asked, although I didn’t get any response.

Seeing that Max finished eating gave me a topic for a further conversation.

“I noticed that you have fed Max,” I said to her with a calm voice.

“O-of course, my friends ... and animals always come first.” I could barely understand what she just said.

“Glad to hear it. Keep it up,” I said and while being carried by a sudden impulse I tried to pat her head. However, Fluttershy pulled back so quickly that she almost fell from the kitchen isle. Somehow the situation got awkward.

“Fluttershy, Applejack.” Celestia’s voice made them look her way. “Please, wait for us in the salon. We will join you briefly.”

“Uhm, yes ... as you wish your highness.” Fluttershy gave me a last glance, flew down, and together with Applejack they joined their friends.

I was looking at them the whole time while trying to understand what exactly just happened.

“You have to understand her, Alex,” said Celestia. “Fluttershy is one of those souls who love animals above everything. What she saw yesterday ... I believe you understand now.”

I suddenly remembered her lying unconscious in front of the opened freezer. Although, she did tell me how much she loves animals I made her see something like that. I felt terrible right now. A sigh was all that I could make for an answer.

“Patience, dear Alex,” said Celestia making me look her way. “I believe that when the time comes she will begin to trust you. Fluttershy always tries to see the good in others so I’m sure that she won’t make an exception in your case.”

I looked surprised at her.

“Hey, I’m not worried if that’s what you’re implying.” I looked at her eyes once more. Her stoic and gentle stare made me turn my head away again. I could feel my cheeks getting warm all the sudden.

I decided to quickly change the subject.

“I … I spoke with my friend, Gregory,” I said. “Apparently some people saw a red pickup passing several times through the town. Our thief might be close by.”

Celestia smiled broadly.

“That’s good news, Alex,” Celestia said happily.

“Yeah. I just hope that he won’t try to sell your tiara. That would really make the search more complicated.”

My words seemed to weaken Celestia’s smile somewhat.

“Well, at the present moment the only thing we can do is to wait and hope that everything eventually turns out alright.” She tried to sound confident but her face clearly indicated that she was worried. I shouldn’t have mentioned this. Beating the lying ones is definitely not my style. Looking quickly around the kitchen helped me to find the new topic once more.

“Well, it seems that some friendly little soul made us some coffee,” I said while pointing at the coffee machine on the kitchen counter.

“Hm? Ah yes, Applejack made it for you this morning as a part of an apology,” announced Celestia with a smile.

“Seriously? And how did she know how to operate it?” I asked surprised.

“We just happen to have coffee in our world as well, Alex. Applejack was just observing you using the coffee machine yesterday and decided to try it out herself”.

“Really?” I asked amazed. “That’s … very nice of her.” I poured some coffee into two mugs and we both took a sip.

Suddenly, my eyes burst open and my face ended with a crooked grimace, as I barely managed to swallow the stuff in my mouth.

“I ... phew, next time I need to ask Applejack to put less coffee into the basket. My body won’t last long on this,” I said with a trembling voice and looked at Celestia who has twisted her lips while almost choking from the black brew.

“I … *cough* agree,” she barely said it while making the same expression as mine. We looked at each other for a moment and Celestia’s sudden laugh made me smile a little.

We casted our mugs aside, and as I picked up the tea tray we joined the rest of the ponies in the salon who were busy now watching a morning cartoon.

* * *

Meanwhile, in the Kingdom of Equestria


The sun was shining high over the kingdom. The normal sun that the citizens of Equestria got used to over the centuries. It didn't resemble anything like that chaotic ball of fire which went totally out of a hoof yesterday. Yet, the day wasn’t aspiring to be normal at all.

Before the Castle’s Gardens there was a great stage prepared with a podium placed in the middle. In front of the stage there was a row of the day guard soldiers who were supposed to keep the order during the monarch’s speech.

An enormous crowd of ponies gathered before the Canterlot castle to hear the important announcement. They were patiently awaiting the arrival of their princesses. For the last few days, many rumors and insinuations began to spread around the kingdom. Some of the subjects were hoping that the presence of Celestia and Luna will manage to dispel at least a few of them.

Soon, Princess Cadence and four of her advisors came on to the stage while making some subjects whisper with concerns.

Count Marvel Star came to the podium and spoke to the crowd with his Canterlot’s voice.

“Dear ladies and gentle colts, thank you all for coming here today. As you know there were many strange phenomena’s happening recently in our kingdom over which, shamefully I have to admit, we didn’t have any control. Because of this many rumors and theories were born which probably deprived many of you from faith in the security and unity of our kingdom.”

“Where are our princesses?” shouted one of the ponies from the crowd making others join in as well.

Count marvel continued his speech.

“I wish to assure you that our kingdom is doing great so far and we intend to make it stay that way. We are struggling at the moment with several problems which forced us to take some appropriate preventive measures. As you probably know, the Grand Galloping Gala that took its place two days ago was disturbed by a horde of changelings.” Louder murmurs kept spreading among the crowd.

“And our princesses, what about them?” asked one of the worried mares who was standing closest to the stage.

Everyone was now waiting patiently for him to answer. Although Marvel Star went through many speeches before he felt that this might be the hardest one yet.

“I'm not going to lie to you, my dear subjects. As a result of the attack, our dear princesses disappeared together with the elements of harmony. Therefore ...” he didn’t get a chance to finish as the panic quickly spread among the crowd.

The rest of the counselors together with Princess Cadence were standing behind Marvel Star and were watching everything with mixed feelings.

“Well, they seem to be taking it pretty well so far,” said Rough Edge mockingly while directing his words to the rest of the council. “Wonder how they’ll react when they find out about our new chaotic sunny-moon god? That will be something to remember.”

It was hard for them to disagree with him, but willing or not they will have to make that step. Keeping this a secret was impossible because practically speaking, they were only confirming what their subjects knew or were suspecting already. They could only hope that their people will allow the newly appointed authority to restore the peace they all love so much.

“Um, Rough Edge, what is that you are carrying?” asked puzzled Ruby Comet while gazing at his bag which was hanging on his left side.

“Oh, that?” said Rough Edge with a smile. “Just a stuck of ropes in case, you know, they would feel like hanging us all here. We’re on the stage after all. I already made a complete set of hang pony knots for all of us. Of course, I got some smoke and fire bombs as well because I’m not willing to surrender without a fight.”

They all gazed at him with a shock not being able to tell if he was toying with them or not.

“Sorry I asked,” said frowned Ruby Comet while turning her attention back at the crowd and Marvel Star.

“As of now, we are carrying out the investigation of the entire kingdom to find all our missing ponies. We are doing everything what’s in our power so I would like to ask you for your understanding and patience. I'm sure that soon they will return to us safe and sound,” said Marvel Star.

“If they’re gone, who's in charge now?” asked a stallion from the crowd.

“Who controls the sun and the moon now?” asked another one standing a few meters away.

“Who’s to blame for this?” asked some old mare who was hugging her little colt grandson.

“As I was saying …” continued Marvel Star “… because of this, we, the royal council, decided that for the time being the kingdom will be ruled by …” he was outshouted by a sudden commotion that was happening somewhere in the crowd.

“OUT OF THE WAY, MAKE WAY FOR THE PRINCESSES!!!” a sudden scream made the crowd slowly step aside.

Princesses Celestia and Luna were marching now towards the stage. The ponies which they were passing close by were looking at them with confusion. The councils and Princess Cadence were watching them from afar, but as they noticed the crowd's reaction they realized that something was definitely wrong.

When the princesses finally came on the stage they all finally realized the truth.

“What is the meaning of this?” asked angered Marvel Star who was looking now at the two life sized and life like puppets of Princesses Celestia and Luna which were magically moving on their own. “WHOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? SHOW YOURSELF!!!” he cried in full force using his Canterlot’s voice.

Suddenly, a pile of thin strings began to spread from both of the puppets. Raising up into the air they stopped at a pair of puppet controls. Their chaotic owner materialized himself a few seconds later.

“Is that any way to talk to your princesses, Marvel Star?” asked amused Discord.

Suddenly, he disappeared together with his puppets and materialized himself later between the members of the council. While sitting on the royal throne which he cared to borrow from the throne room, his two princesses puppets appeared by his side. While lying on their abdomens, they kept their heads up high.

Every pony was looking at him now with a shock and disgust.

“What’s he doing here?” asked some pony in the crowd. Discord grinned.

“Well, isn’t it obvious?” Discord dressed himself with Luna’s black necklace and Celestia's golden crown and gazed at the crowd. “The Chaos Company, at your service. As of today, I’m your new light supplier. That's right, suns, sunshine’s, rays, moons, luminescent, constellations, different kinds of eclipses, as well as typhoons, natural disasters, droughts, floods, all the plagues, diseases, pestilences, and etc. Here’s my card.” He snapped his fingers making a whole bunch of business cards to cast down from the sky. Some of the gathered ponies grabbed one of them. “I’m pleased therefore to announce that as of today I’ll be providing my services throughout the entire Kingdom of Equestria ... as the fifth member of the royal council.”

The shock and disbelief seemed to dominate the gathered crowd.

“Is this a joke?” asked one of the ponies from the audience.

As Discord was smiling at the stallion he made two small balls of sun and moon materialize in his paws.

“Oh, another skeptic soul, I see. Ok then, grab some sunshine while it's hot,” said Discord as he threw the sunny ball before the stallion’s hooves. The stallion jumped with a fright when the ball hit the ground, making the grass around it burn like crazy. “Too hot for you? How about a little moonlight instead? Careful, it’s pretty barren!” he shouted while throwing the moon ball which grew about ten times more and made a small crater while hitting the ground.

The crowd gathered around it when suddenly thousands of bats flew out of the moon’s crater holes and began to attack them. Ponies started to run in all directions bumping into each other. Discord exploded with a loud laughter.

“ENOUGH DISCORD!!!” shouted Shining Armor. The other members of the council began to extinguish the burning grass while driving away the swarm of bats. As for princess Cadence, she was doing all she could to control the panicked crowd. The prince was looking at Discord with disapproval as he added, “YOU'VE GONE TO FAR!!!”

“Not at all,” retorted Discord. “Your princesses see nothing against it, right Lulu?” he asked while turning towards the Luna’s puppet.

“Let them eat hay,” replied the puppet making Discord nod and smile.

“I agree with you, my dear. And what about you, Celi?” Discord asked his second puppet.

“Ask again later,” replied the puppet making Discord snort in amusement.

“You heard it yourselves. Nothing but pure wisdom.” He burst out with a mad laughter again.

Meanwhile, Princess Cadence was doing everything she could to calm the crowd. However, the panicked ponies didn’t care to listen at all. She was chosen as the new ruler, and yet, she felt helpless at this point.

Suddenly, a newspaper carried by the strong wind flown to the stage and hit her front leg. She picked it with her magic and gazed at its main page.

Are the princesses gone? Is Equestria doomed?

The title made her shiver. She closed her eyes and swayed her head in disbelief. Crowd’s panic screams and Discord’s mad laughter echoed in her head all the time causing her enormous pain. Princess Cadence felt something slowly growing inside her. Her fear suddenly gave way to a completely different feeling. She felt ... pure … anger. She never felt anything like this before. But she didn’t feel like running away. At that moment she knew what was meant to be done. Those negative emotions needed to be disposed of as soon as possible, and there was only one way to do it.

“SILEEEEENCE!!!” she screamed as her Canterlot’s voice made everyone around freeze while trying to save their ears from falling apart. A few cracks appeared on the walls of the Canterlot’s palace while many sculptures in the nearby garden lost some of their parts. The imitations of sun and moon disappeared suddenly together with the fire and the swarm of bats.

Shining Armor could only hear and feel a painful screech while he was looking surprised at his wife. As the pain in every ponies ears began to slowly fade away, they all turned their gazes to the one responsible for it.

Cadence was now panting heavily while looking at the shocked crowd gathered in front of her. Now, that she finally got their attention, she could speak.

“Citizens of Equestria, our princesses and elements of harmony are gone missing. We don’t know where they are, but we’re doing all that we can to bring them back. That’s why during their absence, I, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, wish to carry out the royal duties together with the five members of the royal council.”

Each of the members came back on stage and joined Cadence.

“Please allow me to introduce my personal advisers, Counts Marvel Star, Rough Edge, Ruby Comet, Prince Shining Armor, and ... and Discord, God of chaos, who as of today will be controlling the day and night cycle. Countess Miracle Blaze, who couldn’t be with us today, will be carrying on the search for the missing ponies.”

The crowd was listening to her every word and couldn’t remain calm at all. The new situation seemed to make them all feel rather lost.

“Am I to understand that you gave this chaotic being …” the white stallion from the crowd pointed out at Discord “…the authority of this Kingdom, and you want us to willingly accept that?”

“Treachery!!!” shouted someone from the crowd making the audience murmurs rise again.

As Princess Cadence exchanged her gaze with the other members of the council, they all encouraged her to go on.

“I know what most of you are thinking right now,” Cadence said calmly. “Believe me, it wasn’t an easy decision for us to make. Our kingdom is going through difficult times and for the good sake of us all we’ll need to face them together.”

“And how do we do that without our princesses and the elements of harmony?” asked one of the angered mares in the crowd.

Cadence looked at her and got mixed up a little. She couldn’t find the right words.

“And how did our kingdom managed to carry on long before our princesses and the elements of harmony?” Count Marvel Star suddenly rose to speak. The crowd began to exchange glances with each other. “What helped our ancestors to build the foundations on which our fine kingdom is standing right now?” No one in the audience cared to answer.

“Unification.” Every pony remained silent. “Our kingdom, instead of three separate lands has become one strong organism. The lands of pegasus, unicorns, and earth ponies merged into one strong kingdom, whose name was proudly pronounced through centuries.” Many whispers came from the crowd.

Count Rough Edge decided to carry on from here.

“Our kingdom was born that day ... but not thanks to princesses ... nor thanks to the elements of harmony ... but because of hard times. All three kingdoms have united, because they knew that only together they would be able to overcome any obstacles.”

“Maybe you’re right,” said a stallion from the crowd. “But Princess Celestia has ruled for over thousands of years. Where do we find such a wise ruler now?”

Some of the ponies around him nodded.

“And what made Celestia the ruler of Equestria for so many years?” asked Countess Ruby Comet.

“Um, immortality?” asked the stallion making Discord smirked loudly. The ponies on stage, however, remained stoic.

“Dedication,” said Ruby Comet. “Our beloved Celestia has ruled for so long because she dedicated herself to one right cause. Equestria. She even had banished her own sibling, who as nightmare moon, almost had led to our downfall. Although, she was very dear to her, with regret, she did what was necessary for the good of the kingdom. For all of us.”

The crowd seemed to be slowly nodding at their words. Shining Armor decided to speak as well.

“For our kingdom the time of trial has come. The trial that we, ponies of all three races, are obligated to take on. We can, however, assumed already that all of this is just an idle talk and raise our hooves in defeat here and now. But should we? Can we just throw away all those years of hard work and sacrifices? Because of temporary difficulties, can we afford to forget everything that the previous generations have taught us?” Some ponies in the crowd twisted their heads. “No, we can’t,” continued Shining Armor. “Because without the faith in our kingdom, there will be no kingdom. Celestia and Luna ruled so long, because they believe in the Kingdom of Equestria, just like we believe in them right now. This fine nation exists because of us, because we all are the Equestria.”

Princess Cadence stood right beside him and as she smiled at him she decided to carry on.

“That's why we are standing here before you today, but not as rulers. We stand here before you as the mere ponies of flesh and blood who desire the surveillance of their kingdom and to re-established the harmony in every ponies heart once more. To recover what was lost. However, we will not achieve that without you. Our success depends on all of us. So, I'll ask you directly citizens of Equestria. In the name of a higher cause, will you allow us to rule over Equestria until our princesses and the elements of harmony return? Will you be able to find enough faith in your hearts to entrust us with your fate, as well as the whole kingdom?” asked Cadence as she bowed along with the members of the royal council.

In the meantime, Discord was leaning against the edge of his throne and was looking slightly amused. There was a long and awkward silence filling the air.

“LONG LIVE EQUESTRIA!!!” shouted someone from the crowd.

“EQUESTRIA IS US, WE ARE EQUESTRIA!!!” They heard a mare’s voice.

“LONG LIVE PRINCESS CADENCE, LONG LIVE THE ROYAL COUNCIL, LONG LIVE THE KINGDOM OF EQUESTRIA!!!”

In one moment the whole area turned into a one great wave of hooves and the screams which were chanting the name of the newly elected rulers.

Cadence and the councilors raised their heads unable to believe what was happening. Their people made a choice and decided to entrust what they treasure the most to them. Their lives and the whole kingdom. Their hearts at the moment were bursting with joy. They were no longer alone.

“Thank you all,” said Cadence happily. “I promise you that we will not step off the path that Princess Celestia and Luna have taken. I swear on all that’s saint that we will bring them back no matter what.” The crowd continued to cheer. They all felt a certain pride. There was a hope for their kingdom. And they knew it was also thanks to them, the citizens of Equestria.



An hour later

The newly chosen rulers stepped into the royal dining room which was no longer the place of the debate. The table, which Celestia and Luna used to eat at, was already prepared for them. They stopped suddenly when they noticed Discord who was already sitting by the table and sipping from a teacup.

Discord smiled and started clapping, however, the monarchs didn’t feel like appreciating the gesture.

“Congratulations, your majesties, that was some really impressive speech back there. I was simply touched and lost for words,” said Discord mockingly.

Cadence decided to walk closer to the table he was sitting at and looked at him with a stoic stare.

“We made a promise to our subjects that we will take care of the whole kingdom,” she said while trying to remain calm.

“Of course you did,” said Discord with a sneer. “I was there too you know. Sorry I didn’t bow like you did, your highness … my back is a little sore.”

“That’s alright,” said Cadence.

“Right, because it wouldn’t be very wise on my side. I got my image to think of.”

“You don’t have to kneel before anyone, Council Discord,” said Cadence. “You have a gift that we all need right now. Therefore, we hope that you’ll remain true to our agreement.”

Discord smiled widely.

“Naturally, your highness,” he said happily. “As long as our agreement is in force, you have my talent ... and advice at your disposal, he, he.”

The other councils somehow lost their appetite and slowly began to head towards the exit.

“Funny,” said Discord. “You gave your citizens an illusion that they have any choice. Indeed, you are a full-bloody politicians and manipulators. Princesses would be proud.”

His words made them stop suddenly and turn their angered gazes towards him. This time Shining Armor decided to speak.

“It seems that even you, the mighty Discord, can’t see everything,” said Shining Armor with a smile.

Discord looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh, and what did my chaotic senses failed to notice, my dear prince?”

Shining Armor was still smiling at him making him feel rather annoyed.

“The people chose us because they trust us. You know what that means, Discord? That feeling when someone believes in you and what you do? I bet you don’t. Now that we have the support of the people we can serve them in the best possible way. By gaining their trust, we have also gained the advantage. Trust is one of the many values that you are totally deprived of,” Shining Armor retorted coldly.

“Perhaps you’re right, my dear prince. But instead of flying on empty words, I’m more interested in the results, you know. Just like most of the kingdom. The citizens believe in you because you gave them what you call as … hope. I just wonder what will happen later when they suddenly realize that, for example, the princesses aren’t coming back.” Every pony have narrowed their eyes at him. “Or, that I might change my mind and decide to go on a well deserved retirement,” said Discord with a sneer.

Discord’s words made them all flinch for a moment.

“I believe you won’t,” said Countess Miracle Blaze who just entered the room thus making everyone look her way in surprise.

“Well, if it isn’t my favorite former member of the royal council,” said Discord with a smile.

“Skip it, you lizard,” retorted Miracle Blaze. “I know that you offered your powers for a reason. That’s why I know you won’t give up so easily until you achieve your goals.”

Discord made an offended face.

“That’s preposterous,” said Discord as he thought about something for a moment and smiled again. “Then again, could be fun.”

The countess narrowed her eyes at him.

“I’m here to tell you this. If I ever find out that you had something to do with their disappearance I’ll personally turn you into a stone,” said Miracle Blaze with a cold stare.

“Without the elements of harmony … *whistle* … now that’s a gig.” Discord burst out laughing.

His words didn’t seem to make Miracle Blaze worry one bit.

“Our library of forbidden magic has many spells which are right now at our disposal,” she said. “I’m sure we can find something that we can use to make your life much less enjoyable.”

Her announcement made other members quite shocked.

“Miracle dear,” said troubled Marvel Star. “I don’t think it’s wise to talk about this. We barely gained our citizens trust. Resorting to that kind of magic might be costly to us all right now.”

Miracle Blaze gave Marvel Star a firm face.

“Says the pony who entrusted the kingdom to the god of chaos,” she retorted making him somewhat abashed. “But fear not Marvel. These are just last resort measures which we might use against the chaotic clown right here.”

“Who, me?” asked Discord with a gibe.

“I’ll say it only once,” said Miracle Blaze while walking onto the table. “If you do anything that will cause a threat to our kingdom, or you’ll try to disrupt my rescue mission, I’ll make you regret it.” She pushed her muzzle close to his. “I … so … swear.” They both gave each other a cold stare.

“I simply can’t wait, you weed rip,” Discord retorted.

Miracle Blaze broke the stare and jumped back on the floor turning her head towards Princess Cadence.

“Your highness.” She smiled and bowed. “That was some Canterlot’s voice back there. I’m looking forward to working with you, my dear.”

“Thank you Miss Blaze, I’ll do my best,” answered Cadence with a smile. “Please, do what you can as well.”

“I already did, my dear,” announced Miracle Blaze. “It seems that some of our monarchs, soldiers, and servants fell ill all of a sudden.”

Every pony looked surprised at her.

“What do you mean?” asked confused Shining Armor.

“Judging from their words, it seems that some of them took the advantage of the after changeling’s attack mess, and “borrowed” a few bottles of royal wine from the castle’s wine-vault,” stated Miracle Blaze.

Shining Armor made a confused face.

“I’m sorry, but what’s this got to do with their illness?” His eyes suddenly grew wide. “Wait, are you trying to say that the royal wine was … poisoned?”

“Yes, it would seem that way,” Miracle Blaze said calmly. “Miss Emerald Star has already examined the contents of some of the bottles and the results are positive. The oldest brands seem to be the only ones with a poison add. The funny thing is that without our subjects thievery actions we probably would never get to know the truth so soon.”

“Are they alright?” asked worried Cadence.

“Don’t worry, my dear princess, they’ll live. It seems that the poison is only draining their magical and motor abilities. Its effects are slowly passing, so they should be back to their duties after a few days. At least those who didn’t have the nerve to directly steal behind our backs that is,” summed up Miracle Blaze.

“I can’t believe this,” said still shocked Marvel Star. Miracle turned at his direction.

“Your weakness during the meeting was probably the result of that wine, Marvel dear.”

“I nearly took a sip from it … thank the sun I didn’t drink the whole cup,” said Marvel Star.

“However, Princesses and the elements of harmony probably did,” said Miracle Blaze. “Luckily for me, I had other urgent matters to attend to and left the room before Celestia and Luna cared to propose a toast.”

“Dear sun and moon, so they were taking on the changelings in that kind of state,” said Shining Armor who felt a sudden heartache. His wife came close to him and hugged him.

“But who could have done this?” asked Count Rough Edge.

“I got some ideas,” said Miracle Blaze while gazing with everyone at Discord who made an innocent face.

“Who? Me?” he asked acting dumbly. “Really now, I don’t know if I should feel insulted or not. I’m on your side, remember? Well, most of the time.” He whispered last words quietly and drank the rest of his tea.

Shining Armor and Cadence exchanged their surprised gazes. As they recall, Discord did mention something about the wine back in the throne room. When they were about to ask him further about it, he suddenly started to rise from the table and up into the air.

“Oh, dear me, is it that late already?” said Discord while looking at the window. “In all this excitement I completely forgot to lower the sun … inexcusable.” He snapped his fingers and vanished from the room.

“Our side?” Miracle Blaze smirked. “Yeah, right,” she said before leaving the dining room.

The Princess and the Royal Council felt really confused at the moment. Discord definitely seemed to know more than he cared to reveal. Was the poisoned wine his doing or was there someone else involved. They knew that they will learn the truth sooner or later. While gazing at the window they were watching the sun, which suddenly started to hide slowly behind the horizon.



Meanwhile, back on Earth

It was getting well after ten pm when I finally managed to finish installing the last bed. After the long debate we managed to reach an agreement of their bedroom arrangements. The six little fillies got the three double bunk beds, while our princesses claimed the double bed in the middle of the room.

“I sleep on top!!!” shouted Rainbow Dash.

“Me too!” added Applejack.

“Me three!” squealed Pinkie Pie and soon all three of them ran out to take their places.

“Hm, just like children,” summed up Rarity then quickly took one of the lower beds. “This one by the window is mine,” she said after teleporting quickly to it.

“Um, that’s ok, then I’ll take the next to yours, Rarity,” said Fluttershy.

I smiled a little while seeing their happy faces.

“Really Alex, I do not know how to thank you enough,” said Celestia. Princess Luna in the meantime was testing their double bed while jumping and walking on it in all directions.

“No problem,” I retorted. “If you’re going to stay here a little longer then I guess you should have your own bedroom.” Seeing that Applejack barely managed to climb up to the top bunk, I quickly added “Although, I have to admit that some adjustments might be necessary.”

“OH, NO, NO, NO!!!” shouted miss Rarity. “These curtains do not fit the room. Dear sun, this is a real faux pas.” Those weren’t exactly the adjustments that I was having in mind. “Dear me, and this carpet, completely wasted, this needs to be fixed, RIGHT NOW!!!” she cried.

At this point I was wondering if the fashion designer suddenly didn’t become an interior decorator.

“I suggest to deal with this tomorrow, Miss Rarity. Until then I would like to ask you to leave everything as it is,” I suggested.

She looked disappointed that I was trying to interrupt her work.

“But I ...” I quickly interrupted her.

“I'm sure you're all very tired right now so it will be better to get some sleep first. I promise you that you’ll get to decorate this room tomorrow, according to your heart’s content.”

She didn’t seem to be convinced somehow.

“Alex darling, I can assure you that I’m …” miss Rarity yawned suddenly as the sign of drowsiness spread across her face “…well, perhaps one night won’t make a difference.”

““Glad to hear it. Oh yeah, I almost forgot,” I said as I took a bag that was lying by the drawer which was located by the left wall of the room and took out a large decorated wooden box from it.

“Oh my, and what is that fabulous looking box, dear Alex?” asked amazed Rarity while gazing with admiration at the wooden decorated trunk.

“Well, I noticed that you wear those harmony jewels all the time, so I thought that maybe it might be a good idea to have some safekeeping place for them,” I said as I opened the box with a satin violet pillow inside.

“What a marvelous idea, dear Alex, I certainly was getting tired of carrying it around,” said pleased Rarity.

“Yeah, besides, we already lost one element of harmony so let’s stop at that. Better be safe than sorry,” said Applejack as she placed her harmony jewel in the chest.

As I finally collected all the elements I closed it and approached the wall on the right side of the drawer. I crouched and took out a small wooden block from it. The girls came closer and began to observe me with intrigue.

“One of the few hiding places of my house,” I said while seeing their surprised faces. “Only you and I will know about this place so when the time comes you’ll know where to find them.”

“Cool,” said Rainbow and Pinky together.

As I finally hid the box I felt a sudden tiredness slowly taking over me. No wonder. I have spent a whole day doing shopping for girls and preparing their bedroom. I had to drive many miles through many towns, so I wouldn’t make any suspicions.

“You look tired, dear Alex,” said Celestia.

“Yeah ... maybe a little,” I said while holding back a yawn. “I'd better get going. If you need anything else, feel free to ask.” I said while taking my tools and heading for the exit.”

“Thank you, Alex.” I heard the voice of small Pinky after which I stood in the doorway and turned towards them. They all started thanking me, thus making me mixed a little. I just smiled and sent them a slight nod. Just when I was about to leave again …

“Alex?” I turned around and looked at Celestia. She gave me her sincere smile and said “Good night.”

“Good night,” I answered and closed the door behind me.

I slowly walked down the stares into the dark salon. As I wanted to stash my tools into the cellar, I noticed a weak light coming from a slightly opened door of my library. I decided to check it out.

I quietly went inside and saw the source of light coming from a small candle which was settled on the floor in the middle of the room. Little Twilight was lying right beside it while being surrounded by a pile of books.

“Um, Twilight?” Sleeping peacefully with her head on an open book she didn’t wake up even when I called out her name.

I kneeled beside her and as I was about to wake her I heard her weak voice.

“Spike … Shiny … Cadence,” she whispered as a small tear went down her cheek.

I started to wonder what was she dreaming about. I suddenly felt a chill on my skin. The library was getting really cold now. If she stays here she’ll catch a cold for sure. I guess I really should set the fireplace more often.

I sighed deeply and gently picked her up.

“Come on, I’ll take you to your bedroom,” I said while settling her muzzle on my left shoulder. As I picked the candle from the floor, she began to whisper again.

“Mom … Dad,” I looked at Twilight as her soft cry made me feel strange all of a sudden.

“You … miss your family, don’t you?” she didn’t give me any answer. “*Sigh* I know exactly how you feel, my dear,” I then slowly looked at the candle’s flame. “I really am,” I said as I blew out the flame covering the room in a total darkness.



To be continued …