• Published 3rd Jul 2014
  • 5,578 Views, 99 Comments

Where The Heart Is At (Cancelled) - Shadowcolt



A mysterious vortex sends the mane six and the royal sisters to earth. After being saved by Alex, they will have to find a way back while living in the human world.

  • ...
16
 99
 5,578

Chapter 3. Meeting The Chaos


Equestria, Canterlot castle



The royal couple was passing the entrance to the royal gardens, where they were welcomed by a big group of day and night soldiers, who started to observe their every move.

“HALT, WHO GOES THERE?” shouted a well built pony of the day guard who came forward. Strong Heart came to face him, and answered with a low and determined tone.

“Lieutenant Strong Heart and the escort of Prince Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.”

The soldier, together with the rest of his squad, gave way to the new arrived group, saluting along the way. The escort quickly got passed them, and soon was standing before the entrance to the palace. Only the lieutenant and the royal pair went inside leaving the rest behind.

The inside of the palace was also packed with military, who were keeping watch throughout the hallway.

“I’ll take you to your royal quarters. There’s going to be a crisis meeting which will take place in the royal dining room in several hours,” said Strong Heart as they were passing the royal corridor.

“Why not in the throne room?” Cadence asked first, though Shining Armor most evidently intended to do the same. Usually, all the crisis meetings as well as other less or more important disputes were taken care off in the throne room, so this sudden change made them wonder.

“Right now the throne room is being occupied by the royal specialists and magicians, who are investigating the place of the crime. The princesses and the elements of harmony have gone missing, and that room is the last place they were seen alive. We still don’t know what really happened in there. We are carrying out the interrogation of the witnesses, which will help us reconstruct the true turn of the events.”

“I would like to go there first.” Shining Armor's request made the lieutenant feel a little uneasy.

“I was ordered not to let anyone, beside the investigation team in to the throne room until further notice. I’m sorry your highness.”

Just when Shining Armor was about to object, a sudden voice came along.

“I’m glad that our orders are loud and clear, Lieutenant Strong Heart.”

Every pony looked forward where the mysterious voice came. In the not so far distance before them materialized a dark lavender unicorn stallion, with black and violet mane, dressed in an elegant bronze overcoat, with a silver buckle in front, in a shape of an eskulap. Seeing their surprised faces he came forward to them.

“Greetings, your highnesses, please allow me to introduce myself.” He bowed slightly, and gently grabbed the hoof of Princess Cadence. “Count Blue Dust.” He smiled and kissed her hoof witch made her blush a little, “the head master of the lately legalized guild of the magicians.”

While Cadence seemed charmed, Shining Armor remained unmoved. In spite of this he decided to introduce themselves as the royal etiquette required.

“Prince Shining Armor and my wife, Princess Me Amore Cadenza, rulers of the Crystal Empire.”

“I know exactly who you are, your highnesses. I don’t believe there’s even a single pony in all of Equestria, who wouldn’t recognized the captain of the royal guard, and his equally famous … and beautiful wife.” Cadence really was starting to enjoy the presence of this gentle colt. Unlike Shining Armor, who somehow was slowly getting annoyed.

“I happen to have some knowledge about your guild as well. Celestia didn’t seem to be very enthusiastic when she was given the papers that were supposed to legalize your guild.” Shining Armor didn’t beat around the bush, leaving the excessive courtesy behind and moving straight to the point.

His words made Count Blue Dust smile suddenly, like he was expecting it from the start.

“Well, yes, indeed she was. However, I can assure you, your highness, that all of this was just a huge misunderstanding. Although, we are always opened for new members, we must however keep the strict selection to maintain our huge standards. Many less or more talented ponies tried to enter our ranks. Unfortunately, not all of them were capable. Quite possible, that some frustrated little soul decided to put our guild in a bad spotlight at the Canterlot palace because of that.”

“I was wondering?” Cadence decided to join to the conversation. “What part does your guild have in this?”

“Of course, Princess. On the behalf of the royal advisers of both princesses, we have been summoned here to investigate the matter of their disappearance, together with six elements of harmony.”

“And if I may ask, what made the royal advisers hand over the whole case to you?” Shining Armor sudden question made Blue Dust act surprised this time.

“The whole case? ..... oh no, please forgive me, as I probably didn’t express myself well enough. We’re only a part of a bigger team, and our job is to offer advice and help. We freely offered our services, and we will be staying here until the council decides otherwise. It is in our best interests that the princesses, and the elements of harmony, come back to us safe and sound. And as quickly as possible. Miss Miracle Blaze is the one in charge of this case, and it’s by her order, that no one beside the investigation team may enter. I believe, however, that we can make an exception in this case.”

“You sure there won’t be any trouble because of this, Mister Blue Dust? It so happens that we know Miss Blaze, and her quite hot temperament,” asked Cadence.

“As her deputy, I take this upon myself,” as he said that he faced the lieutenant. “Sir Strong Heart, our team gives permission for these ponies here to freely enter the restricted zone. I will personally inform Miss Blaze about my decision.”

The lieutenant saluted and responded shortly.

“Yes sir, as you ordered.”

“In that case, we would like to go there now,” this time Shining Armor rose to speak.

“Naturally, I will inform the guards and our staff. Once you’re there, please ask for my assistant, Miss Emerald Star. I hope that together we will bring this whole case in to a happy ending. I wish you all a pleasant evening.” He smiled again at Cadence, and as he bowed, he disappeared suddenly in the cloud of blue smoke.

The royal pair together with Lieutenant Strong Heart moved on ahead and started passing the remaining parts of the castles corridor.

As Cadence walked beside her husband, she noticed his muzzle expression.

“Shiny, are you ok ?”

“This doesn’t make any sense,” he said with a bit of irritation in his voice.

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t you find this weird Cady? I mean, how is it possible that a guild which doesn’t seem to be blessed with royal grace, suddenly appears and carries on the most important investigation?” His words made Cadence think for a while.

“Now that you mention it, this does seem weird.”

“You bet. No pony in his or hers right mind, would just make a strange suspicious organization like that a part of the investigation team.”

“I guess you’re right, but as for now, we don’t know exactly what we are dealing with. It will be best, if we pretend that everything’s fine, so they don’t become suspicious of us.”

“Right, we will find out the truth soon enough.”

Finally they reached the place of their journey. Without any problems they went pass the guards who opened the huge double doors that led to the throne room. Its present state gave the exact feeling that this year’s Grand Galloping Gala, will not be counted as successful. Everywhere they looked, they could see the remains of parget, glass, and torn apart decorations which were slowly been removed by the cleaning crew.

In the centre of the room, where the brick-parquet floor was covered with an enormous fresco of the sun and the moon, a small group of ponies were making a loud monologue. Once they saw the newcomers, they all gazed in their direction and bowed.

Strong Heart announced the monarchs and then notified them that he will be waiting outside, leaving the room afterwards.

The emerald-mare unicorn with black hair, dressed in the robe of the magicians guild was the first to rise. She turned for a moment and spoke to the remaining staff.

“Alright then, let’s take a short brake every pony.”

The remaining ponies obeyed their superior, and left the room together with the cleaning team. The green unicorn then approached the royal couple.

“I’m honored your highnesses, my name is Emerald Star, and I’m a main assistant of Count Blue Dust, the principal of the magicians guild.”

“We’re honored as well,” this time Cadance decided to speak, though having doubts if her words didn’t sound too artificial. Although the presence of the guild was somewhat suspicious, they had to remain silent for now. “How is the investigation going? We would be grateful for any possible information.”

“I understand your highness. Unfortunately, the interrogation process is still in progress. By counts order, I’m obligated to inform you about everything, but only if you promise discretion until we finish the investigation.”

“Naturally,” retorted Cadence. “We’re eager to hear everything you know.”

“Yes, well, our witnesses are getting lost in their statements, probably still being shocked from the last evening. We still don’t know what exactly happened to princesses and the elements of harmony, but the witnesses statements indicate, that they were last seen in this room. Guards were able to capture a few changelings, which are being interrogated now with a truth spell. There’s also another trace … please, follow me.”

She led them in to the right part of the room, where the floor was somehow graved with a small black crater. As they stood near it, Emerald Star used her horn to cast a spell. Soon, a small device appeared before all three of them, which resembled hour glass. However, instead of sand pots, there were two amethyst stones, which were glowing brightly and shacking strongly.

“Our amethyst indicators show that there was probably a huge magical eruption right here in this spot. They react only to a powerful magic, as it’s the only kind that can leave a phantom trace behind.”

“My, my, such a tragedy.” A loud mocking voice spread across the room, causing all three ponies to look actively for its source.

Suddenly, in a blink of an eye, its owner materialized himself several steps higher on the greater of two available thrones that belonged to the missing rulers of Equestria. Stretching idly on the upholstered satin seat, and smilingly sinisterly, Discord was glancing at the displeased Emerald Star, Shining Armor, and Cadence.

“To think that just recently the elements of harmony were giving me a tally ho. And now I’m so bored that I don’t even know what chaos should I unleash. Really now, such a tragedy.” Nobody cared to answer his statement, however, he didn’t intend to yield so easily.

“Oh, come on now, what’s with those faces? I think it would be nice to finish the party which was so drastically suspended, don’t you think? For what I know, most of our noblesse stuff is still in Canterlot. I’m sure they still have some spirit left in them, to get jiggy with it. We don’t need Celestia and Luna to have fun ... though we could use the elements of harmony, cause you know, sometimes I like to push things a little too far.”

Choking with laughter he began to levitate and turn around on his axis, keeping his hands on his abdomen.

Shining Armor thanks to his sister's advice knew already that any word battle with Discord would be pointless. Discord likes to play on the most sensitive strings of every creature, and once he gets to know them, he will yank them all the way. Of course it wasn’t that big of a secret what the blind spot of the captain of the royal guard was. Family. That was something, which he would give his life for at any time.

"This is a restricted area; you have no right to be here," said outraged Emerald Star. "Leave now or I'll call the guards."

Discord send her a smile.

"Go ahead my dear, I'm dying to see how much more useless your guards really are."

Shining Armor could feel his anger slowly getting loose from its chains, causing the muscles on his face to tense, betraying his true feelings in the process. Some part of him really felt like blowing of steam on that chaotic creature, luckily something kept him at bay.

Discord, having noticed his facial expression, ceased his laughter, and as he flew down, he stopped literally several inches before them.

“Well now, what do we have here? If it isn’t our beloved rulers of the crystal hill, wait one moment ... ah yes, Princess Shiny Cadenza and Prince Mi Amore Armore, pff ha, ha. What brings you here on such a beautiful … and eternal night? Have you decided to join the party after all? By the way, too bad you missed the main event. I’ll tell you that everything swirled so fast, that even I couldn’t keep up.”

His last words made Shining Armor and Cadence interested. Even Emerald Star, who was about to call for the guards, hold out an ear.

“You know what happened here?” asked Cadence who after seeing the facial expression of her husband decided to take the initiative. Discord concentrated his eyesight on her.

“It’s hard to say my dear. I’ve done everything I could to be the life of the party. As you know I like it when the party gets wild, especially the one that I invite myself in to.”

He burst out laughing once more, however, Cadence, remembering her own relaxation methods was able to remain calm.

“What exactly happened here?” she continued calmly with a stoic face, not intending to submit.

“Oh, many things, my dear amoretto," said Discord with a sneer. "Just when everybody was certain that the snobby nobility is the best Celestia can do, she invites the changelings dynamite queen and her band of little bastards. Seriously, I would never suspect sunny butt to have such a sense of humor.”

“Yes, we know about the changelings attack, but would you be so kind and tell us what exactly happened here?” asked Cadence patiently.

Discord was looking at her for a second as his smile never seemed to go away.

“You’re interested in things that had occurred in this room, my dear, or rather what have happened to the ones that were in it?”

Discord’s derisive tone made Cadence mixed lightly. Shining Armor understood that he can’t remain passive anymore.

“You know darn well what she meant, stop toying with us Discord. Tell us what you know, or get the hell out of our site!!!” said Shining Armor with an upraised voice.

Cadence put her hoof on his shoulder, trying to calm him down. He suddenly lowered his head, and started looking at the ground spot. He knew darn well that it wasn’t worth it to show any emotions to Discord. So why did he do it?

“Uh, what temper. He has become a prince just recently, but he speaks like one of the royal blood. By the way, I find it intriguing the way you ask your subjects for information. I’m simply speechless,” said Discord while realizing the soft spot to strike upon.

Shining Armor could feel his entire body boiling, however, the presence of his wife seemed to magically postpone the final explosion. Cadance decided to press on forward.

“You have to forgive him; we all lost someone precious to us. If you know anything that might help us with our search, please, be so kind and tell us.”

Cadence's words seemed to do the trick.

“Well, since you’re asking so nicely, I guess I could spill the beans. However, your husband’s rude tone made me feel so insulted, that I don’t know if I should. Perhaps, if our dear Shiny would be so kind to apologize and ask once more, a little more “politely” this time, then who knows?” A sudden silence came that no one beside Discord cared to brake.“I’m waiting your highness. What did your dear mummy used to tell you, when you made someone feel offended with your words, hm?”

Shining Armor was about to say his true thoughts, when his wife Cadence stepped in.

“Darling, please do what he asked,” she addressed him with a soft voice and a pleading look to make him more cooperative.

However, Shining Armor became completely shocked at his wife's words.

“You’re kidding right? Why should I apologize and beg him for some lousy piece of information. Who knows if he’s not somehow involved in their sudden disappearance? I don’t trust him, and I’m not going to take any part in this little game of his,” said Shining Armor while gazing at Discord.

Cadence approached him closer and as their eyes met, with a calm voice she began to reason with him once more.

“I understand you perfectly, my dear, but as for now we don’t have any other choice. He might be the only person that knows what really happened to our friends. Without his knowledge, we might be walking blind. So please, do this for me Shiny, do this for Twilight.”

He turned his head slightly aside, shut his eyes, and barred his teeth. Cadence could tell what battle he was fighting now, and the discussion for the Discord that he needed to suppress. Soon, he took a deep breath, making their eyes meet again.

“*Sigh*, fine, I’ll do as you say ... but I have a bad feeling about this,” he said with a doubtful voice.

Cadence send him a smile as he walked pass her. He assembled all the patience that was left inside him.

“Please, except my deepest apologies Mister Discord, and be so kind to tell us everything that has happened here since the changelings attack.” His polite words could easily be read, as artificial and reluctant.

Discord made a derisive smile.

“See, you can be nice if you just try. Always listen to your wife Shiny, because she seems to be much brighter than you,” said Discord.

This time Shiny didn’t react. Cadence stood by his side, smiling at him for the huge effort he just made.

“Will you tell us everything now?” As stubborn as she was ever, she asked one more time.

They both attentively began to stare at Discord.

“I would like to hear it as well,” a sudden deep voice came from behind their backs.

Everyone suddenly looked to the side of the room exit, where Count Blue Dust was already coming their way. Discord made a wry face as he saw him.

“Well, it seems to be getting a little crowded here,” he stated while keeping his eyesight at the newly arrived pony.

Blue Dust quickly crossed the room and stood near his assistant.

“Thank you for the short notice, Emerald Star,” he thanked her, which she replied with a nod. He then looked at Discord.

“To the point, tell us what you know,” the count pressed on, causing Discord to smile.

“Pfff, I guess it always comes to this. There will always be somebody who will know more than he should have, right?” asked Discord with a gibe.

“TO THE POINT!!!” Blue Dust most evidently didn’t intend to play along.

Discord supported his head on his elbow, and casted a smoke from his nostrils.

“By the sunny cheeks of Celestia, are you boring or what? To tell you the truth, I was too busy teasing those small changeling bastards, so I didn’t had much time to care for our cute little mares. Although, I have to admit that the changeling queen went over the top to provide our defenders with a pretty big dose of entertainment. Unfortunately, they somehow weren’t eager to play.”

“What do you mean?” asked Cadence as she and the rest felt confused.

Discord didn’t answer her question. Instead, a small glass and a bottle of wine appeared right before him. A small dose of its contents was soon magically poured from it to the glass. Discord grabbed the bottle instead and took a huge sip from it. He started washing his mouth for a while, pretending to check its taste, till he suddenly made a shocked face and spat out the contents, dispersing it in mid air.

“By the deepest parts of Tartarus, what do they put in those wines now days? You know, for a wine that is almost as old as Celestia, it has way too much ...”

Just as Blue Dust was about to say something, Shining Armor beat him to it.

“ENOUGH!!!” His outburst caused everyone in the room to turn their gazes his way. “STOP TOYING WITH US, WE HAVE NO TIME FOR YOUR CURSED GAMES!!!”

Discord, although shocked at first, quickly retrieved his stoic face.

“Hmmm, from your looks, my dear prince, I sense that there’s something really riding your back. Come on Shiny, don’t be ashamed, spill it out. Your sister was much more of a big mouth when she was making that face,” said Discord while making the botttle and the glass to dissapear into the air.

The way Discord mentioned Shining Armor's missing sibling, caused him slowly to tear inside.

“Don’t ever talk about her in a past,” Shining Armor words seemed to have a rough edge.

“Oh, I’m sorry; I didn’t know that it’s still too early for that. Poor Twilight doesn’t have any books at her disposal right now I bet, what a tragedy. Perhaps there is somewhere book worms go at the end?” Discord smirked and began to laugh.

Shiny didn’t want to endure this scoffing any longer, as he concentrated all his power in his horn, and jumped quickly at Discord, who was still rolling with laughter. However, Discord seemed to be prepared for it, because at the last moment he disappeared from the strike zone, and materialized himself on the large throne.

“Oh Shiny, how rude of you. I’m trying to fill you on the best party details, and this is how you repay me. Really now, your sister would be much more cooperative at this moment. Just a thought of an explosive gentle colt, such as you, being a new king of Equestria sends shivers down my spine,” said Discord.

Those last words were really the last straw.

“KING!?” Shining Armor couldn’t compose himself anymore. “I came here for my sister, and let the great creator be my witness, I will not return without her, no matter what. YOU HEAR ME?”

“Shiny ...,” Cadence, as she looked at her husband, shed a tear.

Lieutenant Strong Heart and his two underlings, having heard Shining Armor's scream, ran inside. Their attention quickly concentrated on the chaotic god. Discord began to poke deeply inside his ear with his lion paw, keeping an eye on the explosive prince the entire time.

“Well, my prince, I can assure you that the whole kingdom has probably heard that, but I wonder if your words haven’t just gone with the wind. Surely, somewhere under that blue mane of yours came a thought of being the one to sit on this comfy throne.” Discord smirked, and jumped on the soft pillow a few times “Come on Shiny, we know you want to.”

“By the order of her majesty, Princess Celestia, you are forbidden to enter the castle, you chaotic monster. Leave this place at once, or we will use force,” said Strong Heart, ready to fulfill his duty with the rest of his underlings.

Discord stopped his teasing play and just looked at the three guards with his bored stare.

“Well now, if it isn’t our most dependable royal guards," said Discord with a mock. "Always vigilant and brave, ready to step into action. Always there, where they are needed the most. Always ready to protect the kingdom and its princesses. With you on guard, no changeling will slip through.”

The looks on guards faces stated clearly that Discord already has found their weak spot. Though only several hours had passed since the Grand Galloping Gala, the morals in the royal army have already gone down the drain. Many soldiers tried to act natural, attempting to perform their duties as best they could. However, it was plain to see that after the gala disaster, it will be hard for them to recover their good name.

Discord of course didn't feel like giving them a break just yet.

“Now, usually we learn from our mistakes, however, I’m really starting to wonder what kind of solution originated under those empty helmets of yours, when those two...” he pointed his finger at the royal couple „...with some help from the elements of harmony of course, were saving their wedding and the rest of the kingdom?”

His words seemed to be effective. All three soldiers suddenly felt guilty, as they were keeping no eye contact, just staring at the cold floor.

“They were just performing their duties; it’s not their fault that our castles security system has flaws,” said Shining Armor who decided to defend his own former brothers in hooves. That however didn’t stop Discord for long.

“That’s interesting, because you see in spite being turned to stone, I could hear and see everything that has happened here for the last several ages. What surprised me was the fact, that during your time, the castle wasn’t attacked or robbed even once ... that is if we of course count out the return of the nightmare moon, my big cameo, queen Chrysalis turning you into a puppet, and stuff like that. You know what, now that I think about it, the best parties have happened when you were around, Shiny.”

“My friends call me Shiny; you may call me Prince Shining Armor. Unfortunately, you’re right.” His sudden statement made everyone in the room gaze in shock. “Although I did everything I could, I have failed to provide the safety of this kingdom. The previous captains of the royal guard seemed to be much more competent then me.” His wife wanted to object to his statement, but was overtaken by Discord.

“Oh Shiny, are you modest or what? A perfect material to put his F-L-A-N-K-S on this beautiful throne, pfff ha, ha, ha.”

“If you feel so comfortable over there, why won’t you take the crown yourself?" asked Shining Armor. "It seems you had been once the ruler of this lands. You’re now the most powerful being in Equestria, what’s stopping you?”

Everyone present in the room looked at Shining Armor as if he had gone mad. Such ideas being given to the lord of chaos could only mean trouble.

Discord looked at him, then sunk deep into his thoughts, and began to stroke his small beard with his paw.

“Hm, yes, I guess I could, but frankly speaking, I don’t feel like I want to be your ruler anymore. You see, playing on the princesses' and the elements of harmony's nerves made me feel so addicted to it, that I can’t imagine living without it. It’s like a strong aphrodisiac you might say. I’m having way more fun this way. As I think about it now, there must be an order which could be counterweight for my chaos. A poorly chosen monarch might ruin that for me. Making chaos from chaos doesn’t sound fun to me.”

“You’re right, that really does sound boring,” said Shining Armor trying to hold the derisive laughter deep inside.

Discord gave him a cocky smile.

“I see that sarcasm is something you’re familiar with Shiny. I’m really starting to like you. But going back to your former declaration, I’m wondering if when the crown competition emerges, will you stay true to your words?”

“I swear on all that’s pure. My sister, her friends, and our beloved princesses are all that I care about. I’ll do anything to bring them back.”

The moment he said those words, Discords face ended with the ominous smile.

„Oh really now?” levitating back in mid air, he looked at Shiny and Cadence, and started disappearing slowly. “I'm counting on it, your highness.”

Finally, he vanished in mid air, leaving his laugh to echo across the room, and all the ponies in it, shocked and confused.



Several hours later


The royal dining room within several minutes filled up with most dignified representatives of the entire kingdom. However, the atmosphere was far away from the idyll, as the air was filled with harsh words, sometimes ending with sudden explosion of fury among the most aggressive individuals.

The royal guards did have it really hard to keep the order, especially due to last circumstances which have deprived them of honor and respect.

“Silence … silence I say … SILENCE!!!”

Count Marvel Star, a middle age dark blue unicorn with a gray mane, dressed in the suit of the royal adviser, was already tired with continuous crowd silencing. Any beginning of the discussion always seemed to end the same way. As the member of the four-pony committee, which consisted of the greatest advisers of both princesses, he was also a chairman of the present debate.

The crowd had quieted down suddenly to hear what he has to say.

“I know that you are still over strung by everything that has happened today, however, for the good of this kingdom, I’m asking you to calm yourselves. Right now we need to decide who will be carrying the royal responsibilities during the absence of our princesses.”

The first one to stand up from the crowd was a white unicorn with a golden mane, dressed in a fancy white suit.

“I believe the case is clear and transparent. The authority should be taken by someone from a noble family, who is the closest relative of Celestia and Luna. So, without further ado, I, Prince Blueblood, would like to report my readiness, to be the next ruler of Equestria.”

His words didn’t remain unanswered for long. Somewhere behind him came an amused laughter, after which most of the meeting crowd, including Blueblood, came to stare at the mint colored mare with an elegant sea green mane in a green dress, which was brought specially for the gala.

“By all the creators, Blueblood, are you even listening to yourself? Such a gallant as you would embrace such an important position? Don’t make me laugh, boy.” Some of the crowd shared the mares point of view, as they manifested with laughter.

Prince Blueblood, although sulking, was not going to remain in debt.

“I'm surprised that you, my dear lady, the one from a low born line, have the nerve to even speak in this debate.” Some ponies standing closest to him shared his thought while nodding, which marked the beginning of the next fierce exchange of arguments.

“SILENCE I SAY!!!” Count Marvel clearly had enough of continuous silencing of this crowd. He knew that many of those gathered here were grinding their teeth for the Equestrian throne, even during the lordship of the eternal sisters. But he didn’t expect that the moment they would disappear, the high elites would go this mad. It would seem that where there’s power and money, there is no place for courtesy and sentiments. This was a huge problem that needed to be solved, before greed and desire would throw the kingdom into a total anarchy.

“We have to make the decision here and now, whether we should entrust the power to a single temporary ruler, or, establish a group of acknowledge and wise ponies who will be carrying out the administration duties. Personally, I prefer the second option, because it gives far greater control. However, we must make the decision together.”

Shining Armor and Cadence carefully listened to every word of the leading pony, not really sure where this was going. It was logical that for peace and stability of the country, the authority is needed. However, if the country has almost from the start been ruled by the two immortal sisters, who right now would be the best option to take over? Of course, everybody knew that the princesses alone would not be able to comprehend everything. That’s what they have advisors for.

Count Marvel, feeling a sudden tiredness, sank into his chair, gasping for air. A middle age golden mare with gray hair, who was sitting next to him, feeling worried for his state, moved closer and placed her hoof on his shoulder.

“Marvel honey, are you okay? You don't look very well,” she said, watching him closely.

The count gave her a sheepish smile.

“Thank you, Miracle Blaze, I'll be fine. I just need some rest. Would you mind leading this debate for me?” She nodded and then as she received the approval of other council members, she stood up and spoke to the loud crowd.

“SILENCE!!!” Her Canterlot voice was definitely more resonant than Marvel’s Star, as many of the gathered ponies covered their ears in a sudden shock.

“Therefore, let’s carry on with the voting. Those of you who are in favor of introducing a temporary monarch, please raise your hoofs.”

Among the gathered ponies, the only ones who have decided to take the wordless vote were Prince Blueblood with his companions, and a few more from the crowd. Glancing around, he could not conceal his surprise that so little number of ponies shared their choice. It was plain to see, that there was no hope for a monarch system now.

Miracle Blaze calmly accepted the verdict.

“I see. Then let’s move on to the second part of voting. Those of you who are in favor of introducing a group of administrators, please raise your hoof to vote.”

In an instant, the whole room was flooded with raised hooves. Shining Armor and Cadence were among them, who somehow felt a considerable relief. Of course, instead of calling it an ideal solution, the word lesser evil would be much more appropriate. It was still unknown who would be receiving which office, as each of the gathered ponies were hoping for their own share. Four of the councils also decided to vote in this manner.

“It seems that we have managed to take the first step on the road towards a new harmony,” said Miracle Blaze. “I would like to thank you all ...”

Her monologue was interrupted by a sudden sinister laugh coming from somewhere near the ceiling. In an instant, the god of chaos appeared wrapped around the dining room chandelier. All eyes were now focused on him and that was something he was most fond of. Especially, when consternation and disgust came along with it.

“And so, it’s done. A great pony race decided to overthrow the monarchy in favor of democracy. Just wait till the alicorn sisters hear that you are making them retire. I bet their world will swirl around a little more now.”

A sudden burst of words emerged from the crowd.

“SILENCE!!!” Miracle Blaze's voice seemed to do the trick just fine. All the gathered ponies turned their gazes from Discord to her. “What do we owe this unexpected and unpleasant visit, Mister Discord?”

The god of chaos snorted slightly amused by the sudden nickname. He flew down, and stopped few inches from the ground between the council and the crowd.

“Mister? ... I must admit that sounds nice, doesn’t it, dear ma’am. Everyone used to call me Discord, or the God of Chaos, or just Chaos itself. But I believe Mister Discord also sounds nice.” He paused for a moment, hoping that someone in the audience will react to this statement. When no one dared to speak, he continued.

“Well, ma’am”, as currently the most powerful creature in this kingdom, I was wondering if I shouldn’t apply myself for an office?” the crowd’s voice spread around the room, but faded at the moment Miracle Blaze used her Canterlot voice again.

Shining Armor and Cadence looked at each other, unable to comprehend what they were witnessing. Not so long ago the same Discord had swore that he’s not interested in power. Now he appeared out of nowhere, and was trying to demolish something that they barely were able to accomplish.

Miracle Blaze and the other members of the council also did not hide their astonishment.

“And by office, you mean?” asked Miracle Blaze. Discord was really amused by this question.

“Well, I don’t like to beat around the bush, so I’ll just take the hall pool instead. I have even made a few changes to Celestia’s private chambers and I must say that they have never looked better.”

Nothing could have drawn forth a larger storm. The entire hall erupted at one second, including the council. Discord watched them all, swallowing every moment of refreshing chaos that he always managed to evoke. There was nothing to hide, he was good at it, and he knew it.

“SILENCE!!!” a sudden Canterlot voice, slightly quieter then Miracle’s Blaze, but still audible, went through the air. Every pony turned their puzzled looks at the royal couple, who were now standing between the council and Discord.

“Thank you Cadence, I think that's enough.” Shining Armor took a few steps forward.

“I think you probably already know what we all think about your games, Discord. We have made our choice, as we're the only ones who have the right to decide about the fate of our kingdom, as well as our race. So we give you a choice. Either you live here on our terms, or don’t live at all. The choice is yours.”

After his words, a wave of nodding and single opinions came along.

“Yeah, he's right.”

“This is our kingdom.”

“This is no place for the likes of you.”

Discord and Shining Armor were now sending piercing glances at each other, leading their own, but not necessarily visible fight. Discord decided to speak first.

“Your kingdom … maybe. Your race … sure, why not. You have almost everything you need to take control over the chaos and anarchy in this kingdom. Almost.” He smiled at Shining Armor and Cadance, who couldn’t make out what he was aiming at.

“And what might that be?” Shining Armor slowly began to lose patience.


“Oh, Shiny, Shiny. And I took you for a clever one. Well, I think it will be best if you all see it for your selves.” After a short brake he continued. “I just wonder how many centuries will have to pass, before the evolution of your species will help you adapt to the life in eternal darkness?”

Shining Armor could feel a sudden chill running threw out his body. The sun was something that had been around from the very beginning of their existence. Besides Celestia and Luna, there wasn’t a single living soul in Equestria which could bring the life-giving rays to the soil ground. All their food production was based on it. Without it, the whole kingdom would fall into starvation. From there on, the chaos was sure to spread itself.

“Oh, you should all see your faces now. If you could only imagine how much joy your pathetic helplessness gives me. Those are the main reasons I live for,” said Discord. Grinding his teeth in a mocking smile, he tried to swallow in every moment in which they were showing their confusion and weakness.

“We'll find a way to control the sun, there must be a way.” Cadence joined the conversation standing next to her husband. Although she tried to sound dead serious, she felt that her words didn’t sound quite convincing.

“I doubt that, my dear, but go ahead. The question is who else besides Celestia and Luna has enough power to brighten your day?”

Every pony were looking at him for a moment, unable to understand what he was aiming at. There was no one who could do this.

A sudden demonic sinister smile which cut through Discord's face made everyone realize. The eyes of the royal couple grew bigger, while their mouths opened when they discovered the truth.

“You ...” Cadence's weak voice hardly escaped her muzzle.

“I, Discord, Lord of Chaos, have enough power to control the sun, moon, and weather. In a few seconds, I can make all three of them dance as I play. And it won’t cost me a sweat.”

“You're lying, that’s impossible.” Cadence desperately screamed her thoughts.

“Ah, being skeptic I see. Very well then. How about a small sample of my powers to ease your pain?”

He straightened up, and began to focus all the necessary energy around himself.

A few seconds later, sun rays were coming through the dining room windows, as the sun emerged slightly at the horizon. However, instead of rising higher, it stood there for a few seconds and hid itself again, giving way to the eternal night, once more.

Discord took his time to look around the room, and came to the conclusion that he made a huge impression.

“Not bad for an old geezer, right?”

Everyone froze, unable to recover from the shock. The Sun, something that they needed to live, was in the clutches of the god of chaos. By all the creators, this was a disaster. What could be worse than that?

The shocked faces of all the gathered ponies was the biggest reward for Discord. After a moment he slightly lowered his flight, and soon, only a few inches were separating him from the shocked royal couple. Their eyes focused for a moment on the big emerald necklace, which was now hanging on Discord’s neck. When both of them looked at him, completely robbed of their hope, he directed his words at them.

“Well, your highnesses, ready to pact with the chaos himself?”

***

Earth, forest near the lake, 25th of December



Well, here we are. Me, a lonely man, and his faithful canine companion. Right now we should be lying lazily on my favorite sofa, in front of a fireplace. Instead, we are freezing our asses off in a forest. I swear, if I ever again get an idea as good as this one, I’m gonna shoot myself.

I was holding Max's leash very tightly, so he wouldn’t accidentally runoff in search for a new adventure. We all know how it had ended the last time.

For some time now I was thinking about the stun gun, which was resting in my jacket's pocket. In my mind I imagined myself, as I was holding it while facing the hungry bear. And it wasn’t funny.

As we finally reached our destination, the bear was nowhere to be seen. The area around the fallen tree was covered with small layers of snow, which probably had fallen last night. Luckily, it wasn’t that much to worry about.

According to the instructions that Celestia gave me, the portal had threw them a few yards away from here, straight into the clutches of a stray bear. The problem, however, was that she couldn’t exactly describe to me the exact place of their landing. And wherever I looked, everything seemed the same. I felt that it would not be a walk in the park, but I was hoping that at least Max's reliable nose would help us in the search.

I looked suddenly towards the nearby branches of the trees, where I hoped to see my rifle. Several eye movements finally helped me to locate it. It was exactly where I have left it. Or should I say, where it landed. Thrown between the branches, and hanging by a leather strap, it looked like it wasn’t going to fall anytime soon. Man, I could sure use a ladder right about now.

But I could not waste time, because there was less than three hours till sunset. And a night walk in this forest was out of the question. I needed to focus on finding that tiara of harmony thing. I wasn’t going to share the rest of my life with a bunch of horses … or ponies, whatever.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a small white tarpaulin bundle, which easily fit in my hand. As I unrolled it, I saw a small strand of hair, which I got from that lavender pony, Twilight. I knelt and gave it to Max.

“It’s all up to you boy. Let’s find this tiara so we can live a quite life once more.”

Max came closer, and started to sniff the strand of hair very vigorously.

“Start looking.”

As I was still holding him on his leash, and allowed him to rely strictly on his instinct, we began our search. It didn’t take long before his nose led us right under the overthrown tree, where we first met the girls.

With high hopes I started looking around, rummaging through old piles of sticks and leaves. Nothing. After a longer inspection I have to admit sadly, that it was a dead end. There was nothing here that even looked a little like jewelry..

For a long time we were making larger circles around this place. I could feel the fatigue slowly taking the best of me.

Just when I was about to forfeit for today, Max’s sudden pull awakened me from my thoughts. After some walk I realized we were on to something. Someone was leaving traces behind, that stretched like a snake between the trees. Probably human trucks. Someone had been here recently. Has anyone else, besides me and Max, witnessed yesterday's events?

Max suddenly began barking loudly, which made me look around carefully. I then noticed someone far between the trees. This individual was wearing a hood and was holding some sort of bag. The barking of my dog caused him to turn back for a second, after which he began to run. Max nose led us all the way here, so it wasn’t a coincident. Besides, innocent people don’t just run away without a reason. Then it hit me. The tiara.

“STOP!!!” I shouted, although knowing that this never works.

In the distance I saw a red car. Judging by a shape, a pick up track. It was standing on the forest road, which connected my house with the regional road. He was going to runoff with the tiara, our key to freedom, right in front of our eyes. There was no chance to catch up with him before he gets in to the car. There was only one possible solution, so I let go of the leash.

“GO GET HIM MAX!!!” I shouted.

In an instant, my dog ran forward, immediately reducing the distance between himself and the thief. The guy, however, got into the car and closed the door at the last moment. My friend was barking ominously, leaning against the door of the car. With the last ounce of strength I ran out to the road, just when our thief has started his engine.

As I tried to notice his face, the car suddenly moved and drove past me. Having passed a few yards, he made a quick relapse, and began to drive in the opposite direction, right at me. Seeing the approaching headlights I managed to jump away at the last moment, straight into a snowy ditch. I felt a sudden pain, as my head hit something.

When I finally regained my sight, I saw our mysterious red pickup truck leaving the forest road, disappearing right by the turn.

Disappointed, I was now lying on my abdomen, feeling the pain on my injured head. I heard the squeal of my companion, who was standing right by my side. As I looked up, he began to lick the wound on my forehead.

“Damn it. Max, what have we got ourselves in to?” I sunk my head into a pile of snow.

A sudden gunshot made me revive rapidly. I quickly rose up, and nervously looked in the direction where the sound of the shot came from. Then it hit me again. MY RIFLE!

Without hesitation I started running towards the direction of the overthrown tree, holding a small amount of snow at my forehead.

When we got there and I looked up, my rifle was no longer there. It was now lying on the ground, in a small snowdrift. As I approached it closer and picked it up, I noticed that the barrel was still warm, so there was no mistake about it. I looked around for any potential victims, but luckily none were found. A breath of relief escaped my mouth, while hanging the rifle on my shoulder.

Max suddenly started barking again.

“What is it boy, do we have company?”

Max was barking, looking towards the tree branches. I looked up, searching for anything interesting. A bunch of crows took off into the air, making me realize it was a false alarm.

“There's nothing there, so let’s keep it that way.”

As I pulled Max's leash, we started to walk towards our house. Man, what a day. First someone steals the tiara, and then almost runs me over.

But at least I retrieved my rifle. What made it fall suddenly, however, remains unknown.

Right now one thing was certain. My unwanted guests weren’t going to leave my house anytime soon. Something was telling me that my life was about to change. And that scared me the most.




To be continued …