• Published 7th Aug 2011
  • 3,612 Views, 34 Comments

Spacegirl - Sunshine Smiles

  • ...
6
 34
 3,612

The Goodbye

Scootaloo arose early in the morning, stretching her tired limbs. After laying a soft kiss on Winston’s cheek, she slid from under the covers and landed on all fours. She moved her hoof to her mouth as she yawned, stretching once more in the sun of the early morning as it broke through her bedroom windows. Scootaloo trotted downstairs to prepare some breakfast for the two before Winston awoke from his slumber. She returned and placed a tray which held various breakfast goods onto the bed. She sat on the edge of the bed next to Winston, and smiled. Slowly leaning over him and kissing his forehead whilst speaking softly. “Wake up honey.” She said with a caramel demure.

Winston opened his eyes, yawning and stretching as he was pulled out of his sleep. “Good morning Beautiful,” He yawned again, laying his hooves on his lap. Noticing the tray next to him he asked, “And, may I ask, why the sweetest pony alive brought me breakfast in bed?”

She sighed as her head lowered in disappointment. She pointed at the day to day calender and raised her brow, hoping to jog his memory, but received only a head tilt in reply. Scootaloo shook her head and placed it on her hoof. “Anniversary?” She said with a bit of irk. “Married two years?”

Winston looked from the tray, to the calendar, then back to Scootaloo and blinked. “I am so sorry, honey... I am so sorry. I had a really hard day at work yeste-” He was interrupted with a ‘shush’ and a hoof to his lips.

“You know I can’t stay mad at you.” She kissed his snout and giggled softly. “Besides, I can take an I-owe-you.”

Winston brought his hoof to the back of his head and rubbed on his mane softly, his cheeks reddened from embarrassment. “Definitely, hun.” He laughed nervously and cautiously reached for the tray, making sure his blunder didn’t keep him from his meal. Scootaloo nodded as Winston grabbed the tray hungrily, smiling as she walked to the door. “Meet me downstairs when you’re done, and clean your dishes ‘kay?” She lightly sung out as a joke, heading down stairs.

A few minutes later he followed, tray in mouth bringing it into the kitchen, Scootaloo smiled to herself as she heard the sound of running water emit from the other room. She laughed as Winston exited shortly after. “I see you took my advice,” She laid on the couch her face resting against a raised hoof. “So, did you have anything in mind to do today, before you head off to the farm?”

An hour later, Winston headed out the door. Scootaloo watched her lover exit the door as she stretched, having enjoyed their activity over the last hour. She sat upright, and stretched once more. She gave the empty house a once over before heading to her workshop to to finish up some project drafting.

The workshop had been completely remodeled, with a welding, lathing, and steel press, along with her old drafting desk, and the stacks of various trinket’s blueprints. On the walls in the room were two whiteboards, each having a long series of mathematics calculations written across them. She looked at an equation for a moment, then trotted to her lathe. She spun an already shaped piece of metal, looking at the calculations on the wall, she slowly tapped the rod, shaping it, and glanced back to the board, then prodding once more. This slow, meticulous process went on for another three hours, before she sighed and stepped back. She took a micrometer and measured the razor thin width of the metal whilst smiling to herself. “Three days, oh my Celestia... this piece took forever.” She held the hourglass shaped piece of metal, placing it in another, more bullet shaped piece of metal, fitting a few different tubes and wires through it, and welding it into place. She then forced a small metal block into the tube, attaching some of the various wires and tubes into it, securing them with Teflon and solder.

Scootaloo wiped some sweat off of her face, some grease from her hooves made a small smear on her right cheek. She slunk down to the ground and sighed as she stretched once more. Standing up, she looked at the large chunk of metal, scanning it over.

Satisfied, she placed a metal plate on it, one matching the other’s long cone-like shape. She used the micrometer to measure all around, making sure the edges were aligned perfectly. After some minor sanding, she welded it into place, and sanded off the lip. She then laid the machine onto a precision scale, adding small weights on the inside until it matched the target density. She took a flared metal tube and welded it to the bottom of the shell, then carefully measured a small distance to the right of the tube and drilled a small hole. Using forceps, she clamped and pulled a small rubber tube through the newly drilled hole, capping the tube with a one-way membrane.

She stepped back and looked at it, a smile of pride stretched over her face. She looked at the weight again, shaving a few layers from the tube, hitting the desired mass once again.

She exited the room and brought in some leather straps from the living room, and secured them using designated rivet-holes in various areas around the design. She lifted the design up and turned it around and inspected the device a few times over, checking for any flaws, passing an hour with this task.

Looking out the window, the day had long passed noon. She put the machine into a padded box, a snug fit for her design. Scootaloo put the box on a cart and tied a little harness around her chest. She exited her house, dragging the small cart behind her, locking her door on the way out. Scootaloo cantered down the streets of Ponyville, slowly making her way to Sweet Apple Acres.

Upon arrival, Scootaloo was met with a greeting from Applejack rocking in a chair on the porch. The amber and orange leaves blew softly in the September breeze. Various farmhands were out in the fields tilling including Winston, she threw him a short wave, then received one in reply. Applejack’s hair was beginning to grey out some, the once strong and robust mare’s health degraded with her age, and she had fallen sickly the last few years. “Howdy sugarcube!” she said as she waved.

Scootaloo replied with a cheery wave. “I’m just looking for Apple Bloom. Is she around?” Scootaloo approached the porch of the barn and unhooked the harness, letting the cart stand freely in the yard.

“Yeah, she’s inside, Apple Bloom had a long day painting the barn today.” Applejack smiled as she spoke, her wrinkled eyes and mouth as perky as they ever were. “Just go on in, you’re family to us.”

Applejack went back to rocking and Scootaloo nodded, proceeding to head inside. As she entered the house, a wonderful Apple scent wafted generously about. Instantly, Scootaloo turned to the kitchen to see Bloom squeezing the fresh autumn apples into cider, with a pie in the oven. “I thought Applejack said you had a long day.” Scootaloo smirked slightly, giving her friend a soft hug.

“Ha, all I did was paint. That ain’t hard work.” She said. She still had a few splotches of paint dabbed around her face and arms. “Besides, I think the family could do with some fresh cider and pie.” Apple Bloom broke the hug and turned back to crushing the apples. A loud ding went off, startling Scootaloo. Apple Bloom took the pie and sat it in the windowsill too cool off. She pulled her gloves off and sat them on the table. “So, you must be here for something.”

“Well, You’ll never guess what I did.” She smiled in a cocky way, she had been invigorated with new life recently, as hers was all starting to get back on track, she was becoming less shy to the world, and more out there, becoming more how she had used to be.

“What would that be, sugarcube?” Apple Bloom replied.

“Well, I finished my prototype, I am going to go try it out today.” She smiled once more, becoming ecstatic.

“Proto-what now? OH! You mean the rocket thingy? You’re still doing that?” She said, laughing a little bit.

Scootaloo’s face took to a flat. “Yes.... I am.” She was a little bit disheartened.

“Well, did you want to try it out?” Bloom said, slightly eager to see the results.

“Yeah, I have it outside, come on, I am gonna do some testing, but I need to use the fields around Sweet apple acres, is that okay?” She said, butting on an overextended smile in an attempt to silently beg.

“Sure thing Scoots, just watch out for the trees.”

The two had made their way to the large empty field at the edge of the farm. They pulled the crate off of the cart and opened it, setting the pack on the ground. Apple Bloom instantly gave the contraption a discrediting look. Scootaloo twisted the top off of the contraption and hit a switch, and instantly the sound of an engine roared in the silent field. She replaced the cap and sat the pack upright, exhaust seeped through the tail pipe. She pulled a little armature out that had a small red slider. She pushed the slider up slightly, and the engine sputtered once and kicked in, picking up faster and faster into a speedy rotation. She extended the slider up a slight bit more, and the pack rose into the air, almost in a hover. Scootaloo turned the throttle down all the way. “I’m ready...” Scootaloo said, taking a gulp in hesitation.

Apple Bloom nodded in silent understanding. Scootaloo buckled the straps around her joints, and had Apple Bloom secure it into place. She readied herself, took a deep breath, and slowly moved the throttle up. She felt a soft tug, lurching her forward, then took a step forward and pleated herself. Once again, she slid the throttle slider forward. She lunged forward and galloped to keep up with the speed of the thrust. She hit the throttle and leaned back, jumping simultaneously. She picked up into the air and smiled. She was happy moving fast, doing what a Pegasus was born to do. She twisted some, the little wings on the pack helped her to change direction. She turned back, nearing the ground to land. As she got closer, the engine began to slow, and cut out completely. The brakes were unable to be deployed. She fell the ten feet between her and the ground at the speed set by the device on her back, and she couldn’t do anything... Anything but brace herself. The wings kept her in a glide. She closed her eyes, bracing for impact.

~Crash~

Scootaloo opened her eyes, the outside world bled in, slowly taking shape around her. She looked around. Nurse Redheart stood by her bedside, and Winston was on the bench next to the bed, sleeping. As she came to bearings, her head began to throb. She was unable to move her legs or her hooves. At a second glance, Apple Bloom was sitting in the same room near the other bed. Further to Scoot’s examination, she spotted Applejack. But, Applejack was laying down in the bed opposite to hers. She blinked once, and whispered weakly. “Wh.. what happened to Applejack?”

The nurse took her attention from the machines, and bent down. “Oh, you’re awake!”

“Yeah... I am... what happened to Applejack?” She said, more concerned for her friend than herself.

“You rest, needn’t worry about her right now; focus on your own recovery.” Replied the nurse. She moved to Winston, nudging him to wake up. The grey pony raised his head and yawned, still tired from being up for so long at Scootaloo’s bedside. “She’s awake,” The nurse pony told Winston with a sweet voice.

“Really?” He said groggily. “‘Bout time.” he stated, looking at Scootaloo.

“Yeah, I’m fine... How long was I out?” Her voice was low and weak.

“About three and a half days.” Winston said. “Almost four.” He rubbed his eyes and stood up, making his way to her bedside.

“What happened to Applejack?” Scootaloo asked once more.

“I’ll go get Bloom to explain what happened.” Winston said, as he made his way to Apple Bloom, shaking her a bit to wake her up. She had almost the same reaction as him. “Scootaloo’s awake.” he whispered.

She smiled softly, rubbing her eyes, “Really? ‘Bout time.” She stretched out as she stood up. She trotted to Scootaloo’s bedside, rubbing the broken mare’s mane softly. “How are you felling hun?” She said, a hint of worry in her voice. “You took quite a fall.”

“What is wrong with Apple Jack?” Is all Scootaloo could say. She wasn’t able to fixate on her own condition.

“Well, the stress of what happened to you got to Applejack, she felt mad at herself for letting you do that.” She sighed. “She went to the field and tried to buck apples to relieve some of her bottled frustration.”

“So... so I caused this?” Scootaloo said, she felt more responsible for Applejack’s state than she should be.

“No, and don’t think you are, that was of her own choice. So don’t you worry yourself about that, you need rest okay? Besides, the doctors said she will be fine in a few days time.” Apple Bloom ended her rant with a huff, “Sorry.”

A few days had passed, Scootaloo could now sit up, and move about on her own accord, but was still rendered immobile, besides the wheelchair she was figuratively tied to. Every day she had sat at Applejack’s bedside and comforted her as as the old mare slowly recovered.

Scootaloo did small things to improve the Applejack’s comfort, days spent helping adjust pillows, or making small talk, though sometimes Applejack couldn’t respond with much more than a smile under her wheezing.

And another week soon passed. She was in beginners physical therapy now, but was still not ready for release. Now able to walk under the aid of crutches, she was nearly at her release day, two more days; and Applejack had been taking a turn for the better as well.

Soon came her day, three weeks in the hospital. Needing nothing but the pain medication, and a bit of walking aid. She felt lucky to have gotten nothing worse than minor fractures and internal damage, which had quickly healed itself. The only lingering injury was a sprained shoulder joint, which would have to stay under sling for a few more weeks.

Even after receiving her release forms, she stayed with Applejack as her condition started to decline a small amount. The wheezing and small groaning had resumed, and she had begun vomiting after eating as well.

Scootaloo looked down on the proud mare with slight pity. She still felt she had done this to Applejack, albeit indirectly.

A long robotic tone went off which at first startled and confused Scootaloo, so sudden. She had quickly realised what was happening as a commotion was heard from down the hall, she turned to the various monitors at the bed-stand, seeing some of the meters declining into a red state; yet nothing flat-lined, ‘She will be okay, right?’ She thought to herself.

Two nurses walked in, rolling Scootaloo’s wheelchair away from the bed so they could work. Scootaloo was unable to react, her eyes just stayed open, she was unfazed by her surroundings, unblinking, her mouth stayed propped open, and a single tear escaped the corner of her eye.

The red-lines stabilized, but the nurses looked down in anguish. One whispered lowly, “Call the family... She will pass soon...”

Apple Bloom appeared in the hospital room shortly after. Already in exasperated tears when she arrived. She sat on a stool next to the bed and hugged Applejack softly. Apple Bloom cried at the bedside, unable to speak in lieu of the situation. The meters and gauges fell slowly. Applejack growing more incoherent and limp with each passing minute. The orange pony’s bedding was wet with the secrete from Apple Bloom’s eyes and nose, she was unable to quit the sobs. She sat at the bedside, her tall blue husband, and young daughter hung back at the doorway, not wanting to disturb Applejack’s final moments with her sister. Little Fritter looked down, her blond hair moving over her face. She spoke lowly to her father, “Is grammy going to be okay?” She looked back up, meeting her father’s eyes with an innocent curiosity as to why her mother was so sad. The blue earth pony put his hoof on her mane, not answering the filly with anything but a rub to the head.

Scootaloo had not talked or moved since the nurses had rolled her back, still in shock of the sudden turn in Applejack’s health. She had been doing fine the day prior, and Scootaloo couldn’t wrap her head around why anything would change for the worse. A nurse walked in and shut off the various monitors hooked to the pony, removing cables, so she could pass in comfort.

Ten minutes had soon passed, silence befell the room, aside from the light sobs of Apple Bloom. The few short minutes had seemed like an eternity. Applejack eyed around the room once, looking at the family that had come to see her off.

Some sweat formed on the rim of Applejack’s grey and blond mane. Her eyes closed, her breathing continued. She struggled but managed to speak once. “I l-love y-you... Sugar c-cube.” She followed this with a weak pat to Apple Bloom’s mane. Apple Bloom looked up at her sister.

“I-I Love y-you t-too, sis.” Her tears continued to stream down her face, the rate slowing some. “Please don’t leave me.” She added, her voice squeaked under her crying. “P-please don’t go,” She held onto her sisters hoof in a light grip, and let out an audible stream of sobs. “P-please.” She continued to beg and plead for her beloved sister.

Applejack took another look around the room, seeing Scootaloo hanging her head, tears flowing from the purple haired Pegasus. “I-its not your fault.” She coughed, slinking into a long, awkward coughing fit.

Scootaloo looked up in response to the words. Only speaking out with, “I’m sorry.” It was somewhat of an apology, still feeling guilty for the outcome of her stunt, but more-so in pity.

Applejack loosened up suddenly, moving her vision back to Apple Bloom, her wheezing had stopped, as had her coughing. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Then another. She adjusted her head with a small movement, and her chest stopped expanding. It slowly shrunk, not to come back up. Applejack’s forelegs went limp, and her head slowly rolled to the side.

Apple Bloom fell into a final bout of sobbing...

“Please don’t leave me!” She yelled out in her sobbing, “Please don’t leave me.” She said again, this was said low, inaudible to anyone but Apple Bloom.

Comments ( 11 )

Why is Applejack an old mare? She isn't that much older than Applebloom, only like, ten years.

217852
Put it in this perspective, around 9 1/2 years passed since the beginning of the fic.

It started with scootaloo being 18-20
20+9 = 29
29+10 = 49
A lot of people get sickly in their late 40's

Also, I put her at a little close to 12 or 13 years older than Bloom

Also, grey hair doesn't denote extreme aging.

217904 I know, but I don't think an Apple would get sick enough to die at forty, I mean Granny Smith was around eighty to a hundred and still kicking strong. Seeing as how Applejack spent most of her life eating right and getting lots of exercise. Also, 29 + 10 = 39. So that is really young for any pony to die, short of accidents.

217934
Erm, yeah, math was off, derp, either way, things happen, accidents, I have lost someone in this manner, but at a younger age compared to the applejack in this fic

I gonna have to agree with Soulsilver on this one. Applejack would be a lot younger than you have her portrayed here. Its a good chapter none the less, but it just needs some tweaking, that's all.
Either way, it's a heck of a good story and I applaud you on your hard work.

I really like the story. But unfortunately, the only parts I found well written were when Scootaloo was alone with herself. The other characters seem flat, and the conversations move too fast. Better than I could have done though, so good job :). Its a great idea, and I think you should go over it an rewrite some parts when everything is finished. I would definitely read it again if that happened.

I can't help but wonder why apparently none of Applejack's friends visited her. Did they really drift apart that much as they grew older? There were some implications earlier that Twilight had died, but nothing much was said of the rest of them. I suppose since this story isn't really about them, maybe they did visit, just "off camera" so to speak.

Somehow this story has a generally ominous feeling to it that makes me keep expecting more things to go wrong. Then at the end, when everything Scootaloo had left has faded away, she'll finally achieve her first, and last, true flight, soaring forever upward until she disappears into the infinite sky.

But then I'm probably completely off the mark.

First time I've cried since My Little Dashie...
:fluttercry:

awwwww still no updates? :applejackunsure:

god, me want more

When are you going to update this story? I'm really enjoying this.

Login or register to comment