• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 1,829 Views, 72 Comments

A Long Life - pertelote345



Applejack is 200 years old, making her middle aged for the long lived earth ponies. Since her friend Twilight mysteriously vanished 160 years ago she's done her best to build a new life. Now Twilight is back, and she has no clue what to do.

  • ...
16
 72
 1,829

The Dragon's Wife

Chell

As we burnt alive while hurtling through the sky I wondered if I'd really thought this whole "Marriage" thing through.

Oh I loved Spike dearly, but I wondered if his girlfriend might have been allowed to take... oh say, the bullet train, or walked, or maybe been flung out of a giant slingshot to get back to the city. You know, something more comfortable than his improvised teleportation.

I know, I know, I'm a terrible changeling, but I'd felt the flesh boiling in my exoskeleton three times today and it was getting somewhat old.

Mind you, he hadn't precisely asked me to come with him... It's just that while Emily Posting hadn't had a chapter on resurrections in the family it seemed quite improper to not attend.

Besides, it would be cowardly of me to not meet my mother in-law. My mother in-law who had apparently survived being thrown through a mountain... My mother in law who had just taken down an international terrorist we had been able to so much as scratch... My mother in-law who's last exposure to a changeling had been in The False Wedding Uprising...

Somehow I managed to feel a chill while burning.

There really was nothing for it. He'd just looked so broken when he read that scroll. His roiling emotions had nearly knocked me off my hooves.

I guess it didn't matter what any of us said.

After the truly bizarre sensation of re-forming from ash (How did phoenixes do it?) we appeared on the outskirts of Ponyville. I'd never been more happy to see the Apple building.

We were greeted with the usual oohs and ahhs of Pegasus tourists snapping photos as we materialized. To his credit, Spike immediately turned his head around and asked "You okay sweetie?".

I waved a hoof weakly. "I'm just fine dear. Please keep your eyes on the sky."

He nodded and turned away. I clung to the saddle as his massive leathery wings beat furiously at the air. I was seriously considering giving him a lecture on speeding when suddenly he stopped... just hovering there.

"Chell..." he said in a very soft voice. "What am I supposed to say to her?"

Please don't murder my spouse...? I shook myself. Today was not about me.

I put my head down and nuzzled his scales. "If anything you've told me about that mare is true she will want nothing but to hold you tight and I will have to pry her off with a crowbar if I ever want to have a moment alone with you again. You don't need to say anything at all."

"But..." he said. "I gave up."

I undid my seatbelt and fluttered over to his head. "Spike. There was nothing you could have learned from that acorn. It was just a nut. If as powerful a sorcerer as you couldn't bring her back in three decades of intensive research, then nothing could."

He narrowed his eyes.

I winced. "Okay, granted, something did, but there was no possible way you could have known that." I smiled. "Besides, it would have been downright cruel to leave Rarity waiting... and me."

That said. I gave him a peck on the cheek.

Say what you will about puppies and kittens. There is nothing more adorable than a blushing dragon.

He took in a deep breath, then let it out. I angled to avoid the gust. "Okay, I just need a plan..." He started flapping slowly into the city and I buzzed after him.

He cleared his throat. "Step one: Give her a hug that does not crush her."

I nodded. "Very important."

"Step two: Tell her how much I love her and how glad I am that she's back."

I fluttered on to his head and gave him a pat. "Now your getting the hang of it."

"Step Three... apologize for letting her do that stupid spell."

I frowned. "Spike you tried to stop her."

He shook his head. "Not hard enough."

I groaned. "I sincerely hope that when Twilight forgives you for something you didn't do you'll finally give it a rest. Self pity really doesn't suit you."

He was quiet for a moment.

We drifted by a sky scraper and my husband winced at his four story reflection. "Do you think she'll be scared of me?"

I flew over to his head and gave his crest a rub, "Spike everyone in Ponyville has seen you as their gentle protector for over a hundred years. If they aren't scared of you, someone who raised you from diapers certainly won't be."

He smiled. "I don't know what I did to deserve you, but it couldn't have been enough."

I lounged against his warm scales. "Well I am the element of generosity... I suppose you got a good deal."

I was just about to see if I could get him purring (I lied earlier, purring dragons are even cuter) When a I explosion rocked the sky. I shielded my eyes as a prismatic fireball that made the sun look dim burned its way into my retinas.

Spike shielded us with a wing and steadied himself against a building. I held on to his crest for dear life.. "What's going on!?" I cried "Is it another attack?!"

Spike lowered his wing and we stared up at the sky.

The after-image of a certain pink pony was painted in the sky.

"No," Spike whispered.