• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 1,829 Views, 72 Comments

A Long Life - pertelote345



Applejack is 200 years old, making her middle aged for the long lived earth ponies. Since her friend Twilight mysteriously vanished 160 years ago she's done her best to build a new life. Now Twilight is back, and she has no clue what to do.

  • ...
16
 72
 1,829

A Drink With a Friend

Applejack

I reckon' drinking alone in a cemetery is one of the saddest things a pony can do.

Fortunately I had Princess Celestia with me.

"You know," I said, leaning back against a certain ancient oak tree and brushing the grey hair out of my eyes. "I have to admit, I feel right foolish sitting here moping when you've probably gone through this nonsense a thousand times over by now." I took a swig from my flask. It was good stuff, old style Apple Family brand cider. It was made from the few trees we'd managed to hold onto from the original Sweet Apple Acres.

I offered the flask to the princess and she took it with thanks, gulping down enough cider to make even an Apple proud. She shook her head. "Never feel that way Applejack. Pain over loss is not foolish, no matter how distant the loss may be."

I looked out over the crest of the hill, down at the Ponyville skyline. I wondered if back in the day Granny Smith felt the little village with the thatched roof houses seemed colossal and wrong. Don't get me wrong, there were skyscrapers back in my day, I just never expected them to move in so close so fast... well, Earth Pony fast.

"I always wonder," said Celestia suddenly, lowering the flask, "Should I be especially avoiding befriending Earth Ponies? Or actively seeking them out as confidants."

I raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

The princess stared at her hooves. "Flight and magic are flashy, you would think as alicorns they would be what defined us." The princess continued, "But Immortality is the alicorn power that is hardest for ponies to comprehend and the longevity of earth ponies helps them understand us just a little bit more..." She took another swig. "Plus... We remember more of the same ponies."

I rolled my eyes. Celly, as I dared to call her in my head these last few years, got a mite introspective when she'd had a few.

Unfortunately so did I. "I can't say I see what the conundrum is." I replied, taking back the flask. "Friends are good. Befriend as many earth ponies you want. If you feel more comfortable with them, all the better."

She shook her head. "If I did that I'd spend every second surrounded by old fogies... We have to remember that we are leaders of a whole society, not just its ancient roots. Plus, it is wise to listen to the young from time to time."

I nodded. "I admit, I've bumped into more than a few good kids, not the least of which are the new team members... And I ain't got nothin' against unicorns and pegasi" I turned to look at the headstones. "I can think of a few in particular I'd like to chat with."

The headstones were surprisingly simple, given how much the ponies beneath them had done for the world. Fluttershy had started the trend. In her will she'd asked to be buried quietly on a hilltop under an old oak tree, nothing fancy, just her and a nice home for her animal friends beside her.

All the rest had followed suit, even Dash, who at the time I would have sworn would have wanted a statue the size of Canterlot tower built with an attached Mausoleum/Racing track, but I suppose she cared so much about Flutters she'd changed her mind. I could still see that look on her face..."

I shook myself. Everyone had their time. In another century or two I'd have mine.

"I still feel cheated out of Twilight." I muttered.

Princess Celestia lowered her head. "As do I."

I took another swig. We were running low. "Seriously, a miss-fired spell? That girl miss-fired spells every dang week!"

"Being a mage is a dangerous profession." Celestia said lamely.

I sighed. We'd had this conversation a hundred times. "I know, I know... Most of the time how a pony dies ain't really that important, it's how they lived that matters." I'd spent more than my fair share of time reciting that mantra... I liked to pretend it made me feel better.

"I just wish she was here." I said finally.

There was a sudden pop of magic and Twilight Sparkle burst back into existence in front of me.

My heart gave out.

Author's Note:

Hey all! I'm writing this story as a bit of an experiment.
If you like what you've read, please leave a comment!
It's the action most likely to encourage me to make more!