• Published 13th Jul 2014
  • 1,013 Views, 30 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusader Caste System! - Brosparkles



The Cutie Mark Crusaders are well past their normal time to get a cutie mark, and it's about time they realized their potential. Even if they don't want to.

  • ...
3
 30
 1,013

Farewells. (End of part 1)

“Child.” Luna said.

“Hmm?” Sweetie said, still barely in a dream.

“Child, I thought I told you not to fight your fate. You’ve seen how he looked, that’s not a coincidence. Half-marks are always troubled like that.”Luna said.

Sweetie rubbed her eyes, adjusting to the dream world. She was once again in the canterlot courtyard, with Luna speaking to her.

“Luna? You know what’s been going on?” Sweetie said.

“I’m in charge of your dreams, you’ve been thinking of him.” Luna said.

“Why do I keep having these attacks and urges?” Sweetie said.

“Because you haven’t fulfilled your destiny. You need a purpose.” Luna said.

“But you get to rule Equestria.... and I’m a miner?” Luna said.

“If it were possible, I would let you do what you wished. But it is not what you were chosen for. I was chosen to rule, and you were chosen to work. It is the unfortunate fate of our society.” Luna said.

“But you’re the one making me do this!” Sweetie said.

“Because I love my children! I just want you to be happy!” Luna said, visibly stricken.

“But I’m not.” Sweetie said.

“Because you fight your fate!” Luna said.

“But how do you know this is right for me?” Sweetie said.

“Let me show you.” Luna said, calming down a bit.

The ground around Sweetie began to melt into a pool of water, Sweetie sinking beneath it. Sweetie briefly flailed around, before she felt Luna’s comforting hoof around her.

“You are in no danger here, child.” Luna said.

Sweetie realised she could breathe in the water as if it were air, and move freely. It was just a dream, after all. Vivid lights filled her eyes, as an image of Sweet Apple Acres appeared before her. Applejack worked happily in the orchard, bucking apples.

“A bright smile on her face, feeling rewarded for her work.” Luna said.

Another image, this time of Rarity, making fabulous dresses for everypony in town.

“Creating beauty from raw materials.” Luna said.

A last image, this time of the purple-haired stallion.

“Sickly, weak,and barely able to stand. Addicted to painkilling sun dew, constantly fighting, forced to hide himself under thick clothes. Is this really want you want to be instead?” Luna said.

I...I just don’t know what to think.” Sweetie said.

“Well, you are still a young one. These rebellious feelings will die down in time, and you’ll become a hardworking, happy, productive Equestrian citizen like everypony else. Just please, don’t listen to him.” Luna said.

“But I still don’t understand why this is what I have to do. Why can’t I just work productively doing something else?” Sweetie said.

The water sweetie was submerged in disappeared, and she fell. Beneath her was the ground, and the boutique. She crashed through the roof, into her sleeping body. Sweetie woke from the dream, Rarity standing over her.

“Sweetie? Are you okay?” Rairty asked.

“What are you doing in my room?” Sweetie asked.

“I wanted to make sure you were okay, I heard loud noises from your room, and thought
you might be having another attack. You’ve had me terrified the last few days, you know.” Rarity said.

“It was just a dream. Luna spoke to me again.” Sweetie said.

“I don’t know what you girls have been up to, but I’m worried. Please, tell me, what’s wrong?” Rarity said.

“What do you mean? Besides the mark?” Sweetie said.

“I know something’s been going on. You three girls have been out every day, and I found this beneath your bed.” Rarity said.

She held up a vial of sun dew Sweetie had hid in her pack.

“Oh...that.” Sweetie said.

“”I read the note. I know, I shouldn’t be getting into your stuff, but I was worried about you, darling.” Rarity said.

“So you know what’s going on.” Sweetie said.

“No, I don’t. Whatever would drive you to run away with this stallion is beyond me. But apparently he must have said something to convince you girls, Scootaloo hasn’t been seen all night.” Rarity said.

“She left?” Sweetie said, shocked.

“I’m sure she’ll be found. I just wanted to make sure you weren’t planning on following her.” Rarity said.

“I’m not sure what to think.” Sweetie said.

“Maybe you’d feel better if you actually tried filling your role? I asked Pinkie if her family’s rock farm would hire you, she said they’re always looking for work.” Rarity said

“But I thought you said mining work would be filthy and hard?” Sweetie said.

“But, if it means you’ll be happy, then anything’s worth it.” Rarity said.

“Even if I decide I’d be happier leaving?” Sweetie said.

“...Yes, I suppose so. I’ll miss you more than you could ever know, but if you decide it’s your destiny to leave, I won’t stop you. You’ll have to start making decisions for yourself eventually.” Rarity said, tearing up.

“But what about mom and dad?” Sweetie said.

I’ll try to convince them to let you go. I’ll say it’ll help you with these attacks you’ve been having. But if you’re going, it has to be soon. The royal police are already searching for Scootaloo and that...stallion. If he has some sort of safe haven, you’ll need to get there now.” Rarity said, crying.

Sweetie hugged Rarity, beginning to cry as well.

“I’m sure I’ll see you again soon.” Sweetie said.

“I hope so.” Rarity said.

Rarity kissed Sweetie on the forehead, and then she left, leaving the dew and note in Sweetie’s pack. Sweetie sat in bed for a while longer, thinking things over, when she heard a tap at the window. Scootaloo was outside, gesturing to her.

“Scootaloo?” Sweetie said, opening the window.

“There’s a change of plans.” Scootaloo said, cracking a bit of a smile.

As she spoke, Sweetie noticed her now golden tongue, and the spots of gold still left in her iris from the dew.

“You took the dew?” Sweetie said.

“Heck yes! And it feels amazing! I’m free, baby, free!” Sweetie said.

“Where’s Applebloom?” Sweetie said.

“That lame little foal? She said she wasn’t going to go. Something about her family being too important. Too important for freedom?” Scootaloo said, talking faster as her sentences went on.

“How much of that dew did you take?” Sweetie asked.

“Just one vial.” Scootaloo said.

“The note said to only take a small glob!” Sweetie said.

“Psh, yeah, if you want to feel normal. I wanted to feel amazing!” Scootaloo said.

“Are you sure that’s safe?” Sweetie said.

“How could it be unsafe? I feel the best I’ve ever felt in my life! Now are you coming, or not?” Scootaloo said.

“I’m not about to let you go on your own.” Sweetie said.

“Then let’s get going!” Scootaloo said, her wings flapping rapidly.

Sweetie grabbed her pack, and headed out the window. She felt a bit sluggish, both from the lack of sleep and the resurgence of her urges.

“Come on, hurry up! Do you need some dew?” Scootaloo said.

“I guess I’m going to have to take it eventually.” Sweetie said.

Sweetie opened her pack, and pulled out a vial. She carefully opened it, and put her mouth to the top, taking the slightest sip. She wanted to start carefully. She closed her eyes, and felt as if she were being lifted off the ground.She got the sensation of every muscle in her body stretching out to it’s fullest, then deliciously relaxing back. Her mind felt cleaned, empty of thought. She felt her lungs fill with sweet air, and she felt full of energy, feeling her individual muscles fill with life. Her vision filled with golden light, as if she were within the magic of Celestia herself. The sensation left, leaving her filled with energy and life. She looked down at her tongue, now stained with gold. She had made her decision. As the two of them left, Sweetie waved to Rarity, who was sitting in the living room, one last time, her eyes filled with tears. Rarity began to sob even more, waving back to her.

Author's Note:

Mini-chapter, I just felt like it should end there instead of beginning the next part of the story and ending it awkwardly.