• Published 13th Jul 2014
  • 1,000 Views, 30 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusader Caste System! - Brosparkles



The Cutie Mark Crusaders are well past their normal time to get a cutie mark, and it's about time they realized their potential. Even if they don't want to.

  • ...
3
 30
 1,000

Chains.

“Sweetie, how are you feeling?” Rarity said.

Sweetie had just begun to wake up, her eyes still mostly shut. She had another dream last night, the same one as usual.

“Tired.” she said, yawning widely.

Sweetie looked around the pale white room, everypony else had left but her and Rarity

“Applebloom and Scootaloo are off getting breakfast, they said they’d bring you some. Mom and Dad had to go to work, but they wanted me to tell you they love you.” Rarity said.

“Are you sure you’ll be fine? The doctors said you’re no longer showing any symptoms, but do you think you’ll be okay?” Rarity said.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.” Sweetie said.

“Well, I love you, don’t overextend yourself. I’ve gotta go get to work, but if you start to feel like you’re having another attack, come back here, okay?” Rarity said.

“Okay.”Sweetie said.

Rarity left the hospital, reading back to the boutique. Sweetie waited for the crusaders, who came back up with some breakfast.

“So, are we doing this or what?” Scootaloo said, as she gave Sweetie her tray.

“If he can get us out of this.” Sweetie said, eating her breakfast.

“Then we should leave soon, finish eating then we’ll go.” Applebloom said.

Scootaloo let out an angry roar, as she once again grabbed a medical form and filled it with blinding speed.

“I hate this so muuuuch!” Scootaloo said.

“Another urge?” Applebloom said.

“Yeah, can we please get to the train station soon! Everytime I fill one of these out I feel the stuffy bureaucrat growing, and she’s no fun!” Scootaloo said.

“I’m almost finished.” Sweetie said.

“I should have brought my scooter, I could go really fast and stick it to the stallion on wheels instead of hooves!” Scootaloo said, signing the sheet, then throwing it away.

Sweetie finished her breakfast and Applebloom charged out of the room. Sweetie and Scootaloo followed her, and she ran outside to the nearest patch of dirt. She dug rapidly, and planted one of the seeds from the apple she had with her breakfast in the dirt.

“Just don’t tell the hospital I tore up their dirt. They should have a nice apple tree in a few years.” Applebloom said.

“You’ve been keeping those seeds around?” Scootaloo said.

“Yeah, in this pack. In case I need to farm.” Applebloom said.

“That’s a good idea, I’m gonna take some of those dumb forms and a quill with me.” Scootaloo said.

“There’s a few rocks around, and the chisel.” Sweetie said.

The three of them filled their packs, and headed down to the train station. Ponies hustled around trying to load onto and off of trains, and the whole place was crowded and hasty. It was very easy to get lost in a crowd here, they must be particularly busy today. They arrived at 10:55, where the stallion was already waiting, leaning against a support beam. He was still very heavily clothed, in a light coat, pants, and a very thick scarf covering his face up to his eyes, making his speech a bit muffled.

“Good, you decided to show up. I’d hoped you’d take my advice.” he said.

“Why the train station?” Applebloom asked.

“It’s a busy day, summer sun celebration is almost here, and people are traveling for the holidays. No one will pay attention to us. I stand out too much in most places, but here I can blend in. If anyone questions me about the clothes, I just say I’m heading north and couldn’t fit them in my luggage.” he said.

“So why are you wearing all of those clothes?” Sweetie said.

“Shh. Not near him.” he said, gesturing his gray eyes towards a security guard.

“What? Why?” Scootaloo said, suspicious.

“Just trust me on this one. You’ll know soon enough our fate. Follow me.” he said, once again gesturing his eyes, this time towards the back of a nearby shop.

“I don’t know, that seems wrong.” Applebloom said.

“I’m not going to hurt you. Even if I wanted to I doubt I’m still strong enough. I can barely support myself.” he said.

“Alright, but I’m still a bit unsure about all this. If I think anything’s up I’ll get that guard.” Applebloom said.

“Fair enough. I can see why I seem suspicious, this is just how it has to be done.” he said.

He began his slow walk away, and then followed. He carried a bottle of water that he seemed to drink from frequently as they walked, probably due to the heat of all his clothes. They got behind the store, where no one was likely to go.

“So, what are dragging us back here for, anyways?” Scootaloo said.

“You’re all half-marks, right?” he said.

“Yeah.” They all said, showing their marks.

“Well, so am I. I’ve been looking into the phenomenon ever since mine showed up. I was about your age, when my mail carrier mark appeared. As a decently fast pegasus, it seemed possible, if not exactly something I wanted to do. But I hated the work, it was just routine delivery. Over, and over, and over. Some ponies love the work, but I always went home dissatisfied and angry. But it filled the urge. You all know what it’s like, I’m sure. The incredibly painful withdrawals, and the inability to resist doing work you hate.” He said.

“You still never explained the clothes.” Scootaloo said.

“Hmm. I suppose you think I’m strange, right? covering my entire body in a society that doesn’t require clothing, in the heat no less? I’ll show you why.” he said.

He removed the scarf first, giving them a good look at his face. He had soft features, and would normally be considered decently good looking, nothing special. He next went to the shirt and pants, revealing his full body, frail, malnourished, and lacking any muscle. Half of a letter was on his flank. His wings unfurled from his body, no longer capable of carrying him, and losing most of their feathers. He opened his mouth, his bright golden tongue hanging out.

“Your tongue.” Sweetie said.

“It’s an effect of sun dew usage. Speaking of which, I should take some about now.” he said, grabbing a small vial full of a thick golden liquid, which looked almost like tree sap, out from the pockets of his coat.

He opened it, and took a small glob, and downed it. A golden glow filled the irises of his eyes briefly,before fading. He put the vial away carefully, and returned to speaking.

“Sorry about that, I have to take it every so often, or else I’ll go into withdrawal.” he said.

“So how can you help with these urges?” Scootaloo asked, anxious to quit craving paperwork.

“As the doctor no doubt told you when you went into your attack, those are the side effects of sun dew. Sun dew will ease your cravings, and free you from the urges.. Yes, it will get rid of your urges. But, it leaves its mark. Once branded, you’ll forever be marked as an outcast. One trying to escape their fate.”

“Isn’t sun dew also addictive?” Sweetie said.

“But it’s effects last much longer. And all you have to do is drink it. It’ll free you from working all day in some menial labor.” he said.

“But what did you mean about a caste?” Sweetie said.

“I’ll let you in on something here. Luna is not as benevolent as you may think.” he said.

“But she’s the princess!” Applebloom said.

“She appeared in your dreams, right? She does it to everyone I ask.” he said.

“Yeah, she said she wanted her children to be happy.” Sweetie said.

“She’s the reason you have these problems, you know.” he said, beginning to get re-dressed.

“But how? She seemed so kind.” Scootaloo said.

“Oh, she may be kind. In fact, I’m fairly certain she honestly believes she’s helping. Controlling your dreams and giving you subconscious cues and desires. But it makes everypony do what her society needs.” he said.

“So how do we stop these urges?” Scootaloo said.

“Here, take these vials. If you truly want to define your own fate, take the dew. I’m a member of a society of us. Filed with our brothers and sisters in chains. If you would escape the society of Canterlot, you are welcome there. I can take you there, but I’ll only be in town for a week. You’d have to leave everything, however.” he said.

“I need to think about this.” Sweetie said.

“Yeah, this is way too much for me right now.” Applebloom said.

“You have time. Here is where I’m staying for the week. If you are ready to go, meet with me. Stay strong, my sisters.” he said, now fully dressed up again, he walked off.

The three of them walked off, back to the center of town.

“So, how do we know this guy is telling the truth?” Sweetie said.

“We don’t. But what else can we do? Like he said, I don’t want to become a slave of the mind.” Applebloom said.

“I say do it.” Scootaloo said.

“But we’d have to leave our families and friends.” Sweetie said.

“I can’t leave AJ, Mac, and Granny behind.” Applebloom said.

“Well, let’s think on it. We have a week.” Sweetie said.

“But what about the dew?” Applebloom said.

“I’m taking it, I can’t stand this!” Scootaloo said.

“I’m going to wait.” Applebloom said.

“Yeah, I’m not so sure about it.” Sweetie said.

“Well, for now, let’s just head home, and think on it.” Applebloom said.

“Yeah.”Sweetie said.

“Alright, but I don’t have much to think about.” Scootaloo said.

The three of them split up again, and went through the rest of a fairly normal day. After dealing with another attack, which she dealt with by mining, Sweetie went to sleep, dreading the dreams Luna might give her tonight.

Author's Note:

I'll admit this chapter is a bit too exposition filled, but it was kind of needed to lead into more.