• Published 8th Apr 2012
  • 6,750 Views, 297 Comments

Horns, Hooves, and Fur - Deyeaz



A teenager falls into a river enchanted by Lyra and ends up in Equestria... as a satyr.

  • ...
32
 297
 6,750

I - Take The Plunge

I - Take The Plunge

"Adam!" Osama called for his little brother from across the wide river, holding up a fish he just caught. Adam heard his deep booming voice echo across their campsite and beyond. He stopped foraging the blackberries he knew were safe and ran across the river to his older sibling as fast as his legs could carry him. The mountain air filled his nostrils with its brisk and cooling feel and scent as he hopped across the body of water from steppingstone to steppingstone, taking caution not to disturb the fish that inhabited it.

"Yeah, 'Sam?" Adam said nervously, chilled sweat pouring down his face from the sprint he had. 'What the hell did I do NOW?' he thought.

"Listen," Osama began, holding the nine inch cod he battled with in order to catch it. "I'm gonna go and get this bad boy grilled, but since there isn't a grill close by and the truck was too full of stuff to bring our grill, I need to head back to the picnic area at the edge of the park to cook 'im." He gave the twitching and resisting fish a little shake. "I need you to stay here and watch the fishing lines while I'm gone."

"Got it, bro."

"I'm serious. I know your ass has ADHD, so pay very close attention to those lines. Got it?"

"Yeah, I know." Adam was a little agitated that his brother threw in the "ADHD" insult. It wasn't his fault that his hyperactivity rivaled that of Pinkie Pie's at times. However, he let the matter rest: he didn't want his mom to worry when Osama came back alone and he was still stuck in Breckenridge, under six feet of earth.

"Alright. I'll probably be back in fifteen minutes. Maybe twenty, depending on the people at the area. See ya soon, kiddo." He turned and walked back down the trail towards the picnic zone. Adam waited for his brother to be out of earshot and eyesight, then whipped towards his Justice League messenger bag and pulled out his laptop. Surprisingly enough, there was Wi-Fi in the area, but the signal was rather weak, with only one to two bars. Whatever worked for him was fine. He flipped the laptop open, turned it on and logged in to his account, and went onto Google Chrome. He typed in FIMFiction.net into the URL search bar. Eventually, the page that contained many amazing fan fictions appeared. His inner brony *squee*-ing as he logged in to his FIMFiction account and popped open some of his favorite stories.

"Time to sit back and relax," he sighed, sitting down in his favorite deck chair. He was scrolling through the stories on the home page with both eyes on the screen and paying no visual attention to the fishing poles that were positioned on rocks. He didn't have to: bells were attached to the end of the rods. If the fish even took a nibble, he would be alerted almost immediately.

He began reading "Griffin the Griffin" from BlackWing, rereading NekoNushi's "False Traitor, True Friend", and downloading Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's CD, "E 1999 Eternal" onto iTunes simultaneously.

'Wow,' Adam thought, reading about Griffin's sudden adventure to Equestria and transformation to a griffin, as well as teaming up with Gilda. 'I wish things like this were possible. But alas, they can't.' he ended those words with upset pangs in his chest. He reached into the messenger bag and pulled out a water bottle from it. He twisted the cap off of it and took a sip of the cooling drink. It hydrated his cracked lips and dry throat almost instantly.

A drop of water hit him on his glasses. He flinched at the sudden appearance of the droplet. He looked up at the sky and saw it darkening into an ominous gray. Lightning bolts flashed across the sky, the slightly booming thunder hitting him in the ears. Luckily, he was sheltered under a massive and leafy tree, and the laptop wouldn't get damaged from the rain that gradually grew heavier. Nevertheless, he took off his glasses and wiped the effected lens with the front of his T-shirt, then put his laptop back in his bag.

"Hey!" said a voice from somewhere into the vicinity. Adam gave a start and almost dropped his water bottle, thinking that Osama had returned.

'But he said he'd be back in fifteen to twenty minutes,' he thought. 'It couldn't have been that long... I'm sure of it!'

"Hello? Is anypony there?" said the voice again. Adam looked around for the source of the sound and got a good suggestion for where it came from. The river was rushing more violently than usual. The steppingstones he had hopped across were engulfed in the rapids. The river was also... sparkling? Not only that, but some sort of image was materializing across the surface of the water. He thought it looked familiar.

His eyes widened when he realized the image had said "anypony." He got up and slung his bag over his shoulder, then walked over to observe the source of the voice. His dreams came true: what shimmered before and under him through the raging waters was a cartoonish-looking pony. More specifically, a mint-green unicorn, her mane and tail were a similar hue to her coat, but they had been adorned with a white stripe. Adam saw the lyre on her flank and her large amber-colored eyes that were staring up at him through the river's surface, but she didn't seem to actually take notice of him. The eyes were darting around, looking for a sign of animate life.

He recognized her immediately: Lyra Heartstrings.

"Uh... hello?" he said nervously, giving her a wave. She took no notice. It was like a one-way mirror; She can't see or hear him, but he can see and hear her.

"Huh," he sighed, getting down to one knee and trying to gaze deeper into the river's shore. Behind Lyra was a little town. All of the buildings and landmarks looked like they were originally from the England's Victorian era: they appeared nineteenth century.

"C'mon, Lyra," said another familiar and silly voice. Soon, another pony walked into the ethereal vision Adam was viewing. She was a gray-coated Pegasus, with bubbles for her cutie mark and a blonde mane and tail. Her yellow eyes were facing away from each other, giving her a goofy guise. She was Derpy Hooves. He *squee'd* inside at the sight of her. "Maybe there aren't any of these humans around."

"No!" The mint-green unicorn blurted out. "There are! It just takes patience."

"But, Lyra, you're sweating like a pig and you look like you could pass out!" exclaimed another pony, her voice sugar-sweet. This one was an earth pony, with a cream colored body, concerned-looking blue eyes, and a navy-blue-and-pink mane and tail. Three pieces of candy served as her cutie mark. Bon-Bon did have a point: Lyra looked like she would hit the dirt if she kept up whatever she was doing.

"Mm-hmm," hummed one more earth pony who walked in. Carrot Top, with her orange coat, green eyes, darker orange main and tail, and three carrots of a cutie mark, came to Lyra and gazed at her worriedly.

Adam got down on his hands and both knees and tried leaning in closer, stretching out his fingers towards the scene that shone before him. He wanted to be a part of it all. Escape the war, hatred, racism, and prejudice that this hellish gulag known as Earth harbored on its surface.

He got that wish... but not in the way he wanted it to happen. Unfortunately, the rocks that served as a border between the river and the land didn't hold him for long when he stretched out farther to touch the surface of the river. He went tumbling down from the makeshift barrier into the water and was sucked down into it, like he had plunged into an unseen whirlpool.

'Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, OH HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!' He thought furiously as he continued to plunge downward against his own accord at the speed of a torpedo. 'Damn it, when does this thing END?!' His lungs were on fire from the pain of having no fresh supply of oxygen. His clothes were getting ripped and torn from all the jagged edges of rocks that he was grazing against. He ached from all the cuts, the cold fluid, and water pressure he was painfully enduring. His glasses cracked from the pressure, the broken lenses barely intact. He couldn't see now to save his life.

'If this is a way to die... then this. Sucks. ASS!' He mentally roared.

Just when he thought he was going to suffer from the destructive pressure of the water's depth or from drowning, an oddity occurred at the bottom of the river as it came into view. Light came from the bottom, like the Sun was shining there. Adam tried kicking hard towards the light, unsure of what awaited him. His consciousness was fading fast, his vision becoming bleary and unfocused. His kicking was growing feebler and feebler with every second. 'One last stroke,' he thought desperately, his joints feeling like molten lead. 'Come on, damn you....'

Suddenly, the water began to shoot him forwards at a rapid speed. The water that was already clogging his nose was pushing its way down his esophagus, making him choke. He was almost to the surface of this new body of water. One more almighty kick and-

*SPLOOOSHHHH*

Adam surfaced, his velocity and the kicking motion sent him rocketing off of the pond and into the air. He got about ten or twenty feet into the air before coming to a halt. Almost comically, he started flapping his arms like a chicken in a desperation to not fall and get even more injured than he already is.

But gravity was a very cold-hearted wench.

"Aw, damn it," he said flatly before gravity sent him plummeting towards the damp grass next to the pond on his stomach. "Uf!" he huffed. His messenger bag came falling onto his back and making him squirt any water that got lodged in his throat onto the grass. He felt a searing pain in his nose and knew that it had been bloodied from the fall. He removed his glasses and tossed them in the pond; now that they were shattered, he didn't need them. The visual aids went in with a satisfying splash and sunk to the bottom before the sparkling of the water ceased.

"Never... again." He heaved, sitting up slightly. He tore off his shirt and used it to staunch the blood streaming out of his nostrils.

"Whoa!" hollered a supposed-to-be sweet and kind voice that Adam assumed was Bon-Bon that came from his right. "What the buck is THAT ugly thing, dude?!" He whipped around and saw four mares looking down at him. Carrot Top, Lyra, Bon-Bon, and Derpy were staring at him in fear, like he was something dangerous to be avoided.

"It's looks like a Diamond Dog that was shaved from the waist up, then was given horns and a beard," added Lyra, a look of disgust on her face as she examined this newcomer to their land.

"I think it looks cool!" said Derpy, walking up to Adam with a spring in her trot. The other mares looked at her like she was either very brave or very stupid. They were leaning more towards the latter option than the former.

"Derpy, you think EVERYTHING looks cool. Now get away from it before it hurts you," Carrot Top warned.

"But it looks hurt!" The wall-eyed mailmare complained.

"Can you all stop calling me 'it'!?" Adam has had enough of this inane rudeness. Sure, he was in Equestria, due to the presence of these four ponies, but that didn't mean that judgment like this was going to fly by him, especially by the ones he actually revered. "I didn't almost drown to get criticized! I am a human, and I'm a male, thank you very much."

"Okay, then, sir." Lyra started. "I've been studying these mythical creatures called humans. And you look... well... you don't REALLY look like one."

He was confused. "What in the name of all that's holy do you mean?"

"Well, to answer that question... hmm, how can I put this?" Carrot Top pondered aloud and sarcastically, giving her chin a philosophical rub. "Oh, right! Will you look down at your 'legs' and face, goat-boy!?" He obliged to her request, wondering why she called him "goat-boy". He regretted obeying almost instantly: he now knows why the gardener had called him that.

He gazed at his legs in shock. They had taken the form of a goat's hind legs, the fur being light brown in color and with two kneecaps rather than one. His feet were replaced by dark brown hooves. He crawled over to the surface of the pond he had emerged from. He saw his reflection and almost crapped himself, mainly because his eyesight had somehow been improved, almost as if he never needed glasses when he was younger. His ears had elongated to look like those of an elf's, but twice as long; they were drooping down like he was wanting to shut their canals closed. The long black pair of horns that sat atop the short shock of blackish-brown hair on his head were shining like obsidian in the sunlight that reflected off of the pond's surface. He gave his face a little rub with his free hand and felt the neatly arranged beard that ran from his sideburns all the way down to his chin, ending in a nice little point. Looking back at his hands and arms, he saw that they were covered in a thin, but visible, layer of hair. To make the matters even worse for him, he gave an accidental and scared bleat at his appearance. Almost by impulse, he fell back onto his livestock hindquarters and clapped his hands to his mouth, like he had said something offensive to an important member of Congress or someone else who was an authority figure.

He was a satyr.

He looked back at the four ponies and sat there. Only one thing came to his mind.

"Sweet, merciful God up in Heaven! WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?!" He shrieked madly.